Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1322487 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #7400 on: July 01, 2024, 08:50:14 AM »
I've been going great guns on decluttering, once again focusing on the largest items. My garage no longer looks like a hoarder lives here, though about a quarter of it is still covertly filled with unwanted or unpurposed items.  We are gradually returning to where we were before I emptied my mother's house.

I rejoiced to get rid of a disassembled bed and a mattress topper, 5 or 6 bags of clothing, 3 bags of textile waste, a nice rug that went moldy after we stupidly left it on the damp garage floor.  Everything went to people who wanted them, or if unrepairable, was disposed of correctly. I can now reach all corners of the garage without much effort.  Next on the list are my son's old bicycle (asked if there were a refugee who could use it), and his old desk which my daughter needs but we currently have no room for in the house.  I had a dream last night that I had a new room in the house, and thought, "Oh, we can put the desk in there!"

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #7401 on: July 01, 2024, 11:59:21 AM »
I've been going great guns on decluttering, once again focusing on the largest items. My garage no longer looks like a hoarder lives here, though about a quarter of it is still covertly filled with unwanted or unpurposed items.  We are gradually returning to where we were before I emptied my mother's house.

I rejoiced to get rid of a disassembled bed and a mattress topper, 5 or 6 bags of clothing, 3 bags of textile waste, a nice rug that went moldy after we stupidly left it on the damp garage floor.  Everything went to people who wanted them, or if unrepairable, was disposed of correctly. I can now reach all corners of the garage without much effort.  Next on the list are my son's old bicycle (asked if there were a refugee who could use it), and his old desk which my daughter needs but we currently have no room for in the house.  I had a dream last night that I had a new room in the house, and thought, "Oh, we can put the desk in there!"

At least around here, several bicycle cooperatives accept donated bikes, and trained volunteers fix them up. Then, they sell some of the nicest ones to keep the lights on and give the rest to people in need, sometimes through affiliated organizations. People in need get bicycles in good working order, visitors and volunteers learn about bike mechanics, and you as a donor need not identify someone in need that fits your old bike or to correct any mechanical problems.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7402 on: July 01, 2024, 02:14:04 PM »
At least around here, several bicycle cooperatives accept donated bikes, and trained volunteers fix them up. Then, they sell some of the nicest ones to keep the lights on and give the rest to people in need, sometimes through affiliated organizations. People in need get bicycles in good working order, visitors and volunteers learn about bike mechanics, and you as a donor need not identify someone in need that fits your old bike or to correct any mechanical problems.

Good point, it may come to that if I don't hear back from my contact soon! I looked up and found a possible charity nearby that fixes up and donates kids' bikes.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7403 on: July 02, 2024, 06:51:26 AM »
Iím making a big push this weekend to get rid of stuff, and hopefully make a little money along the way. So far Iíve sold some old microphones and audio gear for $160, and a bocce set for $30, and loaded two boxes of donation stuff in the car so far to drop off.
Also just sold a plastic kids slide from a play house for $40

And sold a tool set I donít need.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7404 on: July 02, 2024, 08:33:11 AM »
I packed up a garbage bag full of clothes. Most of them are nice and I've been holding onto them for far too long... they either no longer fit or were "projects" that I bought from the thrift store with the goal to alter them.

Next up I want to sift through books and shoes. My deadline is this weekend for a first pass. There will be more after that, but I'm looking forward to thinning the herds.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #7405 on: July 02, 2024, 12:20:19 PM »
More clothes packed up to donate. Dish clothes demoted to garage rags.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7406 on: July 02, 2024, 07:51:13 PM »
I am committing to clearing out my mail drawer in the kitchen island this week. Full of crap and things to be purged....

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7407 on: July 02, 2024, 08:41:45 PM »
Iím making a big push this weekend to get rid of stuff, and hopefully make a little money along the way. So far Iíve sold some old microphones and audio gear for $160, and a bocce set for $30, and loaded two boxes of donation stuff in the car so far to drop off.

Sold a pair of nightstands also

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #7408 on: July 02, 2024, 10:45:50 PM »
I packed up a garbage bag full of clothes. Most of them are nice and I've been holding onto them for far too long... they either no longer fit or were "projects" that I bought from the thrift store with the goal to alter them.

Next up I want to sift through books and shoes. My deadline is this weekend for a first pass. There will be more after that, but I'm looking forward to thinning the herds.

If peremptory decluttering counts, I recently told my dad to take his latest batch of mending and alterations to any dry cleaner who might actually handle it sometime soon, instead of bringing it to me to sit in my procrastination pile. We both figure Mom is retired from this kind of activityóshe certainly does not enjoy itóand Dad is not qualified and unlikely to learn at this point. The cost is not going to bust anyone's budget. Attaching a price tag will either prompt him to reevaluate which things are worth keeping or mean that everything ends up in his procrastination pile instead. (I come by my proclivities naturally, you see.)

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #7409 on: July 03, 2024, 04:01:59 AM »
Finally did a full toy declutter, spurred on by someone from our BN group seeking toys for their nieces.

Happily, they were pleased to take everything we are parting with. Now I just need to find ONE piece of ONE toy (that i have see recently, somewhere ?!?) before they pick up tomorrow.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7410 on: July 03, 2024, 02:28:12 PM »
3 bags of stuff to the animal shelter, mostly food. The hospice cat died, and it's kinda traditional for me to donate whatever food, etc is left that I can't use for the remaining cats. Plus, you tend to get a lot of clutter related to hospice animals, so it's nice to clear it out and clean up.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7411 on: July 03, 2024, 02:32:10 PM »
Free cycling a fluffy fleece later!  And does decluttering at work count, because I threw out some defunct owners manuals from the waaaay bottom of a cabinet. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7412 on: July 03, 2024, 10:14:18 PM »

Today I sold a tea set we donít use

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #7413 on: July 07, 2024, 12:56:51 PM »
I just put a box of free stuff at the bottom of the driveway with a bunch of smaller things that don't seem worth the trouble to list individually. It's worked before.

I'm also listing on Buy Nothing some leftover hair products.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7414 on: July 07, 2024, 07:14:36 PM »

Sold a set of rims I donít have a need for the other day. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #7415 on: July 07, 2024, 09:04:06 PM »
Went to Lake Tahoe for the 4th, and the hotel we stayed out handed out a zippered insulated food bag, a blanket & a nice aluminum water bottle. I would have declined, but it was in our room. I wasn't sure what would be the least wasteful option (would the cleaning crew toss them? Probably not if there were just a few, but what if there were hundreds of them, left over at the end of the weekend?) Anyway, opted to bring it home & gave it away on BN in just a few minutes. Not a decluttering for my house, but trying to keep things from being wasteful.

As for my own house, we're half way through summer, and I have already figured out I have a few dresses I'm not going to wear this summer. Listed those on BN, and the same person who wantet the amenity bag above also wanted the dresses. Done & done!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 08:09:47 AM by MaybeBabyMustache »

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #7416 on: July 07, 2024, 09:26:12 PM »
I just put a box of free stuff at the bottom of the driveway with a bunch of smaller things that don't seem worth the trouble to list individually. It's worked before.

I'm also listing on Buy Nothing some leftover hair products.

Hair products have a taker, who is right down the street.

A few of the largest, most colorful items are gone from the FREE box already. Maybe I can come up with the next batch soon.

Also, I puttered around picking up and getting gone some just loose trash. Little deposits of tissues from the cold I'm finally over, a stray receipt, an oversize envelope mailer thing. It's little, but it looks so much better. The cold really drained my energy, especially the first week back and on top of jet lag from the trip. I'm hoping I can continue this bit of momentum.

@MaybeBabyMustache I have a complicated relationship with "swag." On the one hand, it's free, and I've occasionally gotten favorite cups, pens, and other goodies that way. On the other hand, there's a ton more of it than I'll ever need, and there are objects I definitely don't need, or don't need more of. There's stuff that's junk right out of the gate, too. The last couple of unbidden freebies found homes in the Buy Nothing group, but the overabundance means that it's sometimes a tough "sell," even for free.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7417 on: July 08, 2024, 02:06:12 PM »

Good point, it may come to that if I don't hear back from my contact soon! I looked up and found a possible charity nearby that fixes up and donates kids' bikes.

I did it, I went and donated the bike!  The next big thing in the garage is to bring the desk back to the house. To make room for that, we need to do some decluttering in the kids' room, so I will schedule a half hour tonight and a half hour tomorrow to get started on that.

mspym

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7418 on: July 08, 2024, 02:18:13 PM »
While tackling my pile of shoes that needed some love and cleaning, I recently gave up on a very cool pair of boots that just didnít work for my feet. I mentally put them in the donate pile. Yesterday I had a friend around for tea and asked if she knew anyone with size 37 feet and thatís her! She tried them on, they fit and looked great. New boots for pal. We both win. I had also repaired a wool cardigan from the free box outside the Red Cross and sheís going to try it but if it doesnít work she also knows everyone in town and will be able to pass it on.

I also had a fit of Fixing Things energy and started getting through my repair pile. So far I have fixed one pair of jeans, started repairing another, the aforementioned cardigan seam, and a couple of holes in a merino top. So now I have fewer things crying out to me when I look around the house.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7419 on: July 08, 2024, 08:58:42 PM »

Sold a couple tools I donít need, and some kids stuff and a Thule rooftop cargo bag today

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7420 on: July 09, 2024, 07:56:20 AM »
Had a pretty good day selling at the flea market Sunday. Sold a 38-pack of Depends to another vendor for $1. Yes, only $1, just glad to be rid of it. Have lots more, lol. For some reason, you can't give Depends away. People too embarrassed, I guess. 

Sold an airplane roller bag for $8 to  another vendor.

Both fairly big, unwanted items I had to take from a relative's place,  and now, finally,  'outamyhouse'.  Yay.

Was surprised to unload some household stuff also, like 3/4 full bottle of Downy, and a half used can of EZ Off.  No need to hassle with taking them to hazardous waste disposal site.     

For the Depends - you can donate them if you want. Food banks, etc will hand out. Or if there's a nursing home, homeless shelter or similar you're familiar with they could probably use them. And my understanding is the household cleaners, etc are very popular at estate sales. But a lot of cleaning supplies will be happily accepted by animal shelters, women's shelters, homeless shelters, etc.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7421 on: July 09, 2024, 08:14:31 AM »
Had a pretty good day selling at the flea market Sunday. Sold a 38-pack of Depends to another vendor for $1. Yes, only $1, just glad to be rid of it. Have lots more, lol. For some reason, you can't give Depends away. People too embarrassed, I guess. 

Sold an airplane roller bag for $8 to  another vendor.

Both fairly big, unwanted items I had to take from a relative's place,  and now, finally,  'outamyhouse'.  Yay.

Was surprised to unload some household stuff also, like 3/4 full bottle of Downy, and a half used can of EZ Off.  No need to hassle with taking them to hazardous waste disposal site.     

For the Depends - you can donate them if you want. Food banks, etc will hand out. Or if there's a nursing home, homeless shelter or similar you're familiar with they could probably use them. And my understanding is the household cleaners, etc are very popular at estate sales. But a lot of cleaning supplies will be happily accepted by animal shelters, women's shelters, homeless shelters, etc.
Women's shelters and homeless shelters will take any non-foodstuffs that is still useable from a kitchen, plus clean bedding: this is the stuff they give out as starter packs to people leaving the shelter for a new home, so they have a constant demand for it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #7422 on: July 09, 2024, 09:02:25 AM »
While tackling my pile of shoes that needed some love and cleaning, I recently gave up on a very cool pair of boots that just didnít work for my feet. I mentally put them in the donate pile. Yesterday I had a friend around for tea and asked if she knew anyone with size 37 feet and thatís her! She tried them on, they fit and looked great. New boots for pal. We both win. I had also repaired a wool cardigan from the free box outside the Red Cross and sheís going to try it but if it doesnít work she also knows everyone in town and will be able to pass it on.

I also had a fit of Fixing Things energy and started getting through my repair pile.
So far I have fixed one pair of jeans, started repairing another, the aforementioned cardigan seam, and a couple of holes in a merino top. So now I have fewer things crying out to me when I look around the house.

@mspym - I need to borrow some of that Fixing Things energy. I have none, at the moment.

DS17 has a friend who gives haircuts to people, and his cape broke. We had one from COVID that we will assuredly never use again. Passed on to him, and he was thrilled.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7423 on: July 09, 2024, 08:17:08 PM »
Husband was sent two blood pressure monitors last year by mistake. He put one in a drawer and thought nothing of it.  Last week, a friend who couldn't afford to buy one herself asked if I could help her find a blood pressure monitor! Nothing was easier!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7424 on: July 11, 2024, 06:21:30 AM »

Sold a couple tools I donít need, and some kids stuff and a Thule rooftop cargo bag today

Sold some more tools

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #7425 on: July 11, 2024, 09:14:28 AM »
Went through my shoes & realized I have a couple pair that I never wear. One was in like new condition. Gave them away on Buy Nothing in 10 minutes.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #7426 on: July 11, 2024, 09:27:11 AM »
The pleasure I feel when opening the "medicine cabinet" in the kitchen for my morning vitamin pill and seeing the little bottles of advil, tylenol, aspirin, etc all in one place on a little spinning shelf is disproportionately high. 

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #7427 on: July 11, 2024, 10:13:59 PM »
I delivered the surplus hair products to new homes yesterday. It might have been a two mile bike ride, but it took a while. I stopped to talk to one of the recipients and got a tour of their freshly remodeled home. I also got to talk to another neighbor whom I know from one of the local bicycle groups. Fun!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7428 on: July 12, 2024, 06:27:38 AM »
Dropped a book off at the little free library a few streets down.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7429 on: July 12, 2024, 09:44:26 AM »

Sold some more tools

Dang it, I was doing really well getting rid of stuff, and just slipped and impulsively bought a stupid tool (toy) I donít really need when I was looking for materials for work at Home Depot. I will get some use out of it for sure, but if Iím going to keep it I need to really go hard on getting rid of other crap. I need to declutter really badly. 

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #7430 on: July 12, 2024, 06:49:14 PM »
I think I just persuaded someone to break down the box their TV came in and not keep it forever. It's surely out of warranty long since, and there weren't a lot of good reasons when I asked.

How do others here talk themselves out of keeping boxes?
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/a_RItKx-36M

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7431 on: July 12, 2024, 10:51:00 PM »
I think I just persuaded someone to break down the box their TV came in and not keep it forever. It's surely out of warranty long since, and there weren't a lot of good reasons when I asked.

How do others here talk themselves out of keeping boxes?
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/a_RItKx-36M

Get a cat that has a strong chew instinct. Cardboard is candy.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7432 on: July 15, 2024, 11:19:33 AM »
I finally started tackling my late husband's mancave this weekend.  I've been procrastinating on this, but really need the space back (for more storage, lol...baby steps).  It's definitely a...slow slog.  Over the weekend I removed 4 contractor sized bags of trash and five 5-gallon buckets of rocks.  I might be 25% done.  But at least I can get to the breaker box without having to climb over a mountain of crap to do so?

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #7433 on: July 15, 2024, 01:25:47 PM »

Get a cat that has a strong chew instinct. Cardboard is candy.

If I put a box out at the end of the driveway with surplus fruit from my tree, eventually the box disappears, so many of my boxes get consumed that way. (Every so often, an angry neighbor posts about their dishpan or whatever being taken when they'd meant to give away just the fruit. This is why I only use boxes I'd otherwise recycle.)

@Sugaree a late loved one's stuff is so tough to dig through. Strength to you, and congratulations on the inroads you are making, however incremental they may be.

One of the reasons my DH was promoted to husband was that he sat steadfastly by while I bawled my way through, among other things, the accumulated medical paperwork left after someone I loved lost a three-year battle with cancer. Most of it was stuff like check-in forms and medication inserts, reprinted in 18-point font for someone presumed to be older and with poorer vision than the patient ever grew to be. I needed hardly any of that paperwork, but I still needed to dig through what amounted to a full recap of the worst parts of that disease journey and shred the stuff with personal information.

If anyone you know offered to help, could you reach out to them for support, physical and emotional, with this effort? Rocks are not the only thing that's easier to carry when you have help.