Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1253723 times)

GardenBaker

• Stubble
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #6250 on: December 05, 2022, 09:16:29 AM »
Sold a pair of shoes on Ebay. Listed some seasonal pillows for sale and a cooler that I'm no longer using.
Donated a dinnerware set.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6251 on: December 05, 2022, 09:22:31 AM »
A friend mentioned that she wants to put together a 'tickle trunk' for her child (Canadians will remember it from Mr. Dressup). She is a minimalist so doesn't own random things for her son to dress up in.. I'm gathering up a few things to donate to her (and a coworker was giving away a caterer's coat so I grabbed it for them as well).

https://sagomini.com/article/imagination-station-an-ode-to-the-tickle-trunk/

My SO was going to a xmas party with a regift theme so I donated a Royal Tenenbaums dvd :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 09:31:22 AM by Serendip »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6252 on: December 05, 2022, 10:11:27 AM »
Went through my flea market inventory and culled 2 plastic grocery bags worth of knickknacks and sundries, will donate them.   Recycled 2 empty cardboard boxes and some old advertising fliers.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6253 on: December 05, 2022, 04:36:35 PM »
I went through a bunch of stuff leftover from failed Buy Nothing pickups, or items that just never went, & have someone coming for the entire bunch. Maybe 20 items in total. Hurrah! Out of the hall closet, where I keep pending BN stuff.

I still have two groups of items posted, so I'm hoping to get rid of another 10 or so items tomorrow.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6254 on: December 05, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »
DNFed a book and returned it to the street library. Finally remembered to take two old wiped phones for recycling.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6255 on: December 06, 2022, 12:53:22 AM »
5 boxes of stuff and a small bag of clothes piled up awaiting me to get sufficient motivation to take them to donation points. A pile of non-donatable stuff is slowly growing, destined for council clean up.

I decided to embrace a decluttering lifestyle nearly 20 years ago. I feel like I am fairly good at not buying/bringing stuff in, but I'm still at it. I think stuff breeds in the night.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6256 on: December 06, 2022, 11:20:48 AM »
@happy - I've been really heavily decluttering for 9 years, and still work at it. On one side, I have kids, and they grow, their interests change, etc. So, that makes sense, but I can't blame it entirely on them. I'd say about 60% of what i declutter is theirs.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6257 on: December 06, 2022, 01:47:08 PM »
@happy - I've been really heavily decluttering for 9 years, and still work at it. On one side, I have kids, and they grow, their interests change, etc. So, that makes sense, but I can't blame it entirely on them. I'd say about 60% of what i declutter is theirs.
MBM I absolutely agree with you. Every phase in a child's life seems to need decluttering when they move onto the next. Fortunately I'm not overly sentimental about keeping things like their first whatever.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6258 on: December 06, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »
I wore a pair of stained leggings for the last time today then disposed of them.  Tomorrow I'll wear a t-shirt from my alma mater for the last time.  It was a low-quality freebie.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6259 on: December 08, 2022, 11:48:41 AM »

I am not a good library person. It takes me a while to read a book, then I forget to renew and get a fine. One time I lost a set of DVD's and had to pay for them. I think that is the last time I borrowed anything from the library.

Do you have access to digital books at your library?   I prefer real (paper) books, but have found that digital is a great option for the problem of forgetting to return or renew in time.   The books just go 'poof' when your time is up.    : )    Since we moved to new town, it's been more convenient for me to get books online rather than to physically go into the library.

Also most Canadian libraries offer access to Kanopy too - movies, documentaries, series, etc.  All free.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6260 on: December 08, 2022, 07:22:54 PM »

I am not a good library person. It takes me a while to read a book, then I forget to renew and get a fine. One time I lost a set of DVD's and had to pay for them. I think that is the last time I borrowed anything from the library.

Do you have access to digital books at your library?   I prefer real (paper) books, but have found that digital is a great option for the problem of forgetting to return or renew in time.   The books just go 'poof' when your time is up.    : )    Since we moved to new town, it's been more convenient for me to get books online rather than to physically go into the library.

Also most Canadian libraries offer access to Kanopy too - movies, documentaries, series, etc.  All free.

And at my library online books are good for 2 weeks. If I can't finish by then, I can turn off my wifi...they can't take it away from you if they can't get to it!!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6261 on: December 09, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »

And at my library online books are good for 2 weeks. If I can't finish by then, I can turn off my wifi...they can't take it away from you if they can't get to it!!

Please don't do that. The library likely only has a set number of digital copies that they're allowed to loan out. If you're sitting on one, its the same as if you're sitting on the physical book.

Either don't borrow books, remember to renew the book, pay the fines, or figure out how to finish the book within the allotted timeframe.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6262 on: December 09, 2022, 11:03:31 AM »
Please don't do that. The library likely only has a set number of digital copies that they're allowed to loan out. If you're sitting on one, its the same as if you're sitting on the physical book.

This isn’t true at my library.  After 2 weeks, my book is auto-returned in the library system and is available to the next person.  I can continue to read the book on my e-reader with a few caveats: no Wi-Fi connection (which I never actually turn on), I can’t switch books, and I can’t let the reader shut itself off - otherwise it realizes it’s expired and blocks accesss.

In fact, I often return my books right after I download them so that the next person gets it even sooner.

And to bring this back to decluttering, I am also trying to get rid of physical books - I have a bunch from my library store from many years ago, and my goal is to get through maybe 3 of them this month and donate them right away.  I keep postponing my digital holds that come up until I’ve gotten some more books out of the house.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:10:31 AM by NotJen »

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6263 on: December 09, 2022, 08:17:18 PM »
A couple of shirts out of winter storage and right into the donate bag.

I've been opening holiday cards and immediately putting them on the mantel and the envelopes into the recycling, do not stop at the kitchen island, do not pile on the coffee table.

Speaking of library books, our library no longer charges fines. Your checkout automatically renews until someone else requests it, then you get an email asking to please return it.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6264 on: December 09, 2022, 10:55:05 PM »
Took an entire car load of stuff to my local auction house today, glad to have it gone and even better I’ll get a cheque for some amount when it sells in a couple weeks

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6265 on: December 10, 2022, 08:34:54 AM »
I deleted a bunch of old duplicative photos from my comms devices and then un-liked some Facebook pages that I'm no longer nearby to support.  I also boldly chose to delete my Amz browsing history and to turn it off for future use. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6266 on: December 10, 2022, 05:27:57 PM »
A couple of shirts out of winter storage and right into the donate bag.

I've been opening holiday cards and immediately putting them on the mantel and the envelopes into the recycling, do not stop at the kitchen island, do not pile on the coffee table.

Speaking of library books, our library no longer charges fines. Your checkout automatically renews until someone else requests it, then you get an email asking to please return it.

I used up 4 more of my Christmas card stash today (just about unlimited cards, lol). 

Interesting about your library not having fines. My library dropped the fine for late DVDs from $1.00 per day to 20 cents per day, which surprised me.

My guess is that they want to people to be very not afraid to check things out, since the lib gets tax $$$ partly based on how much stuff gets checked out. Just a guess.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6267 on: December 12, 2022, 03:43:04 PM »
Yesterday I decluttered/reorganised 3 shelves of my pantry. I've been meaning to do it for a while...I'm pleased with the result:  it improves the work flow quite a lot. And a small bag of clothing was donated.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6268 on: December 12, 2022, 07:52:04 PM »

I used up 4 more of my Christmas card stash today (just about unlimited cards, lol). 

Interesting about your library not having fines. My library dropped the fine for late DVDs from $1.00 per day to 20 cents per day, which surprised me.

My guess is that they want to people to be very not afraid to check things out, since the lib gets tax $$$ partly based on how much stuff gets checked out. Just a guess.

In 2021, the library system got a grant to cover fines for a year while they did a study about fines v. no fines. There was a huge jump in checkouts and people accessing library items in that year. They decided that since fines were less than 1% of the operating budget and created barriers to access, they did away with them. There are still fines for certain items like DVDs, etc. And if they request the book back and you don't return it for a set amount of time, you still get the price of the book charged to your account and will need to cover it or replace the book.

In decluttering, I cleaned out under my kitchen sink. I put a small flowerpot into the donate bag and reorganized the cleaners.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6269 on: December 13, 2022, 06:41:22 AM »
I also requested a t-shirt recycling "kit" from Marine Layer for 3 t-shirts that didn't seem re-sell-able.

I finally got my kit, and sent off 5 t-shirts for recycling yesterday.

And to bring this back to decluttering, I am also trying to get rid of physical books - I have a bunch from my library store from many years ago, and my goal is to get through maybe 3 of them this month and donate them right away.

1 book read and in the donation pile.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6270 on: December 13, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »
@NotJen - I just looked up Marine Layer! I hadn't heard of it and I definitely have some T shirts to donate!! Thank you!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #6271 on: December 13, 2022, 11:13:58 PM »
Finally went through a backlog of mail and papers. A handful went into recycling, another into the shred folder. Some need to be kept until action is completed, and they are serving as a tangible to do list.  But the pile is smaller!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6272 on: December 14, 2022, 08:32:35 AM »

In 2021, the library system got a grant to cover fines for a year while they did a study about fines v. no fines. There was a huge jump in checkouts and people accessing library items in that year. They decided that since fines were less than 1% of the operating budget and created barriers to access, they did away with them. There are still fines for certain items like DVDs, etc. And if they request the book back and you don't return it for a set amount of time, you still get the price of the book charged to your account and will need to cover it or replace the book.

In decluttering, I cleaned out under my kitchen sink. I put a small flowerpot into the donate bag and reorganized the cleaners.

Very interesting about the fines study! Thanks for that info, okisok. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6273 on: December 14, 2022, 08:37:02 AM »
Five more computer manuals into the recycling bin. About 5 pounds. And I donated their binders to the Salvation Army. They sell them for a buck each. 

Decluttered my worry list by making a dreaded call to my credit union about some CDs I have there.  A relief. 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6274 on: December 14, 2022, 02:40:41 PM »
Five more computer manuals into the recycling bin. About 5 pounds. And I donated their binders to the Salvation Army. They sell them for a buck each. 

Decluttered my worry list by making a dreaded call to my credit union about some CDs I have there.  A relief.
Great idea @slackmax !  I need to make a worry list of all my procrastinated tasks and then declutter it!

Yesterday I took 3 boxes of misc bric-a brac to the donation centre. They've been sitting around for months and months. It feels  good to have them gone.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #6275 on: December 15, 2022, 05:34:56 AM »
I'm decluttering one of the rooms and for whatever reason we had three backpacks we're not using and are very unlikely to use in the near (or far) future, so just put them up on the local Freecycle forum. There's much more to do but it's small victories that keep you motivated.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6276 on: December 16, 2022, 06:36:59 PM »
Another shirt in the donate pile. It seems to live in the clean laundry basket. I took that as a sign that I didn't want to wear it or even put it in the dresser so out it goes.

I recently lost a pet and finally feel ready to pass on the pet care items. I've got them gathered up and am researching a charity that would use them.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6277 on: December 16, 2022, 06:40:48 PM »
I donated a few small bags of clothes to the thrift store this evening.  Most of it was sad flannel shirts that had started piling up.  I only have soft ones hanging in the closet now. 

While doing other errands I donated to the church that hosts my knitting group some tubes of toothpaste and a bottle of couponed detergent.  I have been on a quest for effective desensitizing toothpaste that won’t discolor my teeth.  I may have found such a thing in nano hydroxyapatite toothpaste, fingers crossed. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6278 on: December 18, 2022, 09:42:52 AM »
-Sold a huge dresser that wasn't a fit for a room for $150. It took forever (it's super heavy & hard to move), but it's out of my foyer! I accepted a smaller offer just to get rid of it.
-While making a water bottle for my son, I noticed two thermos containers tucked in the back of the "miscellaneous" pantry, which typically holds bottles of alcohol & water bottles. My teens get free lunch at school (which, they never eat), & haven't packed lunches since pre-COVID. My husband & I also work at a place with free lunches, so the Thermos containers hadn't been touched in at least five years. Put them on Buy Nothing, and had someone pick them up an hour later.
-I always order two pair of new running shoes at this time of year, as they are cheapest. They last until the following year. This year's order came with a free phone holder. I have a different one that I prefer, so also listed that on Buy Nothing, and a neighbor stopped by to pick it up a few minutes later. She's gifting it to her daughter for Christmas. I love that it fulfills a wish, and will get used!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6279 on: December 18, 2022, 05:39:02 PM »
-Sold a huge dresser that wasn't a fit for a room for $150. It took forever (it's super heavy & hard to move), but it's out of my foyer! I accepted a smaller offer just to get rid of it.

Congratulations on selling the furniture, and even getting over $100 for it! That's very hard to do around here.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6280 on: December 18, 2022, 07:14:32 PM »

Congratulations on selling the furniture, and even getting over $100 for it! That's very hard to do around here.

It was Pottery Barn, which tends to draw more attention/interest.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6281 on: December 18, 2022, 08:29:16 PM »
Put the Xmas tree stand and the full donation bag in the car. I finally bought an artificial tree so I won't need a stand for a live one anymore.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6282 on: December 19, 2022, 12:13:17 PM »
Gave away a cat fountain to a friend. My cats had lost interest in it, and my friend was happy to get it. Win-win!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6283 on: December 20, 2022, 12:06:59 PM »
Mended a much-worn item before it became unwearable.

Finally finished a frustrating sewing project that got derailed. It was supposed to be a thoughtful Christmas gift but had gotten so irritating that it was lying neglected in a corner. Decided to try one more thing to make it work and it *did* so it is now wrapped and under the tree. Bonus, it used up some of the last of a roll of gift paper so there's less to store. Double bonus, it was made of some sentimental fabric that has meaning to the recipient. It was in my fabric stash for ages until I could come up with what to make of it. Now the lid closes on my fabric bin and there's just enough gift wrap to get through next year so I don't need to get any at the after-holiday sales.

Returned a pair of shoes that weren't quite right, before I wore them. The money is now back in my pocket instead of cluttering up my closet.

I've mentally marked some items to sell on Marketplace. Posting to stay motivated to do it!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6284 on: December 20, 2022, 05:39:16 PM »
I’ve packed up towels, a pot, some door hooks and misc kitchen things to take to our future house. This gets things out of our cupboards and also gives us things to use while we are staying there.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6285 on: December 26, 2022, 02:21:53 AM »
Believe it or not, I decluttered on Christmas! Saw a relative who works with an organization to provide warm clothing to the homeless in winter, so gave her the grocery sack full of scarves and hats I've knit. Plus a random baby sweater, and she happens to know someone who just had a baby and would love to have a neon pink cardigan.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6286 on: December 26, 2022, 07:51:01 AM »
Believe it or not, I decluttered on Christmas! Saw a relative who works with an organization to provide warm clothing to the homeless in winter, so gave her the grocery sack full of scarves and hats I've knit. Plus a random baby sweater, and she happens to know someone who just had a baby and would love to have a neon pink cardigan.

That's a wonderful gift.  Related to this, I've read where the reason the homeless cycle through so much clothing is due to the lack of free/inexpensive laundry facilities.  I'm just wishing there would be a solution to that which would enable them to keep usable clothing vs. having to toss items only because they've become too grimy.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6287 on: December 26, 2022, 01:24:45 PM »

That's a wonderful gift.  Related to this, I've read where the reason the homeless cycle through so much clothing is due to the lack of free/inexpensive laundry facilities.  I'm just wishing there would be a solution to that which would enable them to keep usable clothing vs. having to toss items only because they've become too grimy.

I have, very occasionally, heard of semi trailers outfitted with showers, barber or dental stations and laundry facilities, making the rounds in places like San Francisco and Oakland.

I imagine it would be hard to carry a clean change of clothes around all the time, even if the facility and supplies were freely available. Along with whatever else one might feel the need to carry.

It's a tough nut.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6288 on: December 26, 2022, 01:41:46 PM »
We have a charity here with washing machines in a van that does the rounds.

I have two days off to sort the house before the New Year starts. Yesterday I had some hits and misses. Threw out some old holey undies and bagged up some clothing donations. Thought I'd given away a piece of furniture but the person never showed up. Improved some listings on eBay but I'm not even getting views. Sorted out the recycling that needs to be taken somewhere and it's in the car ready. Took everything out the spice shelf, cleaned it up, decanted bags into spice jars - nothing got chucked but it will be much easier to find stuff. I also looked up recipes to use up stuff. Was given a part of shorts and a pair of pants for Xmas but have no room for them...

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6289 on: December 26, 2022, 02:11:34 PM »
I did a ton of Christmas baking this year - with a focus on using up ingredients from pantry and freezer. Some of the nuts from the freezer were from a late friend's freezer. Some were perfectly fine, others were just freezer tasting.  Into the compost!

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #6290 on: December 26, 2022, 04:26:28 PM »

Also check and see if your library still charges late fees.  I JUST found out that my city library stopped charging late fees in 2019 and the county system stopped in 2021. 
After 45 days/108 days the replacement fee is charged to your account but if you return the item the fee is removed.

"more and many libraries around the country—and the world—are eliminating fines. "

https://lacountylibrary.org/fine-free/#:~:text=August%2019%2C%202021-,We're%20Fine%20Free!,will%20no%20longer%20be%20charged.

https://laist.com/news/los-angeles-public-library-ending-late-fees

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6291 on: December 27, 2022, 07:42:43 PM »
Dropped off the bag of donations and tree stand. It's become much easier since I found a donation bin at a local shopping center.

I've sorted through the holiday gift detritus and made a bag for regifting at the next holiday event (divorced parents and late December birthdays stretch the season out for us). Most of the items I received are consumable so I'm very chuffed about that. DP apologized for not having a gift under the tree for me to unwrap and I could not reassure him fast enough that this situation is exactly what I want--no wrapping paper to discard, no awkward unwrapping in front of family, no useless geegaw that I'll toss in the donate bag as soon as I can decently do so.

I identified some more holiday decor to donate. I thought I would eventually put it out but it was more suitable to my last place than my current home.

Thanks to this challenge I was able to get through the holiday clearance section without buying any wrapping paper, tags, or bags. One roll of ribbon and one ornament for $4.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6292 on: December 29, 2022, 03:40:24 PM »
Completely cleared off the stairs. The right side half was completely cluttered with flea market stuff. Moved 80 % of it into basement. Recycled,  tossed or donated the other 20%.

Then started on a corner in the kitchen. Moving a lot of it into other rooms. It's all kitchen stuff, but it is taking up too much room there. Will make a note of where I moved it, in case I ever need it. May never need or want it. When and if I do want it, I hope I remember where I noted its new location. I am noting it in a computer file I keep of 'everything'. I just go into this file and do a search search for what I want, and hope it is there, lol. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6293 on: December 29, 2022, 06:36:57 PM »
@slackmax if there are kitchen things that you didn’t use or need or know you owned, would you consider getting rid of them instead of storing them in a different room and needing to track their location?

High fives for clearing the stairs.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6294 on: December 29, 2022, 07:05:58 PM »
I imagine that most anything you needed could be found at the flea market, and Slackmax you are very familiar with that space and the people who go there. So if you were to sell/donate those items, and later found that you needed something, you could easily find them or probably ask your contacts to help you find something.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6295 on: December 30, 2022, 08:25:30 AM »
Thanks, guys. My plan right now is to try to sell the kitchen stuff at the flea market this coming Spring when it reopens. I know, it will only get me a few bucks, but at least it is a plan.

And I am patting myself on the back today, since I donated a few items that I might have been able to sell, just to get rid of them quickly.

On a related note, a woman I am currently dating wanted to give me a whole kitchen table, perfectly functional,  that her friend is throwing out. I sort of wanted to say yes, to make her happy, but then I realized the table is not needed in my house, and would just be more clutter.  Proving I have the discipline to keep unneeded stuff out of my house.

The woman says she will donate the table to a store that sells used furniture, called 'Restore'.   I suggested she just let nature takes its course, and let her friend throw it out, but she can't stand to see a usable table get tossed out.  So she will drive across town with the disassembled table in her SUV, to donate it.       

What a world, lol. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:27:36 AM by slackmax »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6296 on: December 30, 2022, 12:13:50 PM »
Good job saying no to the table. That is a BIG thing to try to find a place for, especially when you don't need it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6297 on: December 30, 2022, 01:51:29 PM »
Good for you for saying no.

Her getting it to a Restore is a great idea, someone will be glad to buy it and it raises some money for Habitat For Humanity.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6298 on: December 30, 2022, 09:44:27 PM »
Reduce, reuse, recycle. Donating for reuse is good!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6299 on: December 31, 2022, 11:47:42 AM »
I used up some of my cheerful stationery and adult coloring pages today.  That’s more crappola bric a brac off my too heavy bookshelf.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!