Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1254147 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #6200 on: November 14, 2022, 05:42:25 PM »
Filled up the blue container for paper recycling, almost to the top. Felt like 30 pounds. Lugged it out to curb.  All just old unneeded documents. Recycle truck came and took it all away.   
Hey well done, I know that is a big chunk for you.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6201 on: November 15, 2022, 08:44:41 PM »
Everyone is making so much progress! Pats on the back all around.

I finally got the donation box out of the trunk when I tried a new outlet store. There was a Goodwill donation center in the same parking lot. I donated and didn't buy anything. Then, of course, came home and found the handful of items I left on the counter that I meant to tuck in the box. Time to start another box!

I'm unpacking cold weather clothes this weekend and putting away summer clothes. Maybe there will be some items I can part with during the switch over.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6202 on: November 15, 2022, 08:58:13 PM »
An aborted business venture has me listing endless amounts of stuff for sale. I'm a bit over it but not much more to go. There's a lot in the price range that I'd usually just give away for free but I'm trying to claw back some of the wasted cash.

Anyway, if I can move it all on I will have a lot of free space including one cupboard shelf and a large drawer and much more. Just not sure how long it will take to sell!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #6203 on: November 16, 2022, 12:23:14 AM »
Dropped the sneakers off in the Fleet Feet bin for recycling.  They said to call back in a few days and they'll let me know if I can leave hiking boots there.  @MaybeBabyMustache Websearch did not reveal any other local recycling options.  I feel like if there were a path to recycle hiking boots, REI would offer it, and they don't. (I'm not 100% convinced my sneakers will actually be recycled, but it was easy to drop them off, just in case.)

Over the weekend, I listed 3 items for sale on Poshmark (not hoping for much here, but will leave them up for a while and see what happens).

I threw away 20 items.

I dropped off 25 items at Goodwill.

I also requested a t-shirt recycling "kit" from Marine Layer for 3 t-shirts that didn't seem re-sell-able.

So, 46 items out of the house, and 7 "pending".

Next goal - 20 more items by the end of the month either listed for sale or out of the house.

Hey, you made your goal. Well done!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6204 on: November 16, 2022, 12:34:34 AM »
I’ve realised my barefoot life of the last few years means some of my favourite shoes no longer fit. Time to accept that and donate them.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6205 on: November 17, 2022, 12:39:55 AM »
Tossed a holey pillowcase, replaced with brand new :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6206 on: November 18, 2022, 11:57:46 PM »
Sold a box of Playmobil, a pair of boots, and some children’s educational materials. Our storage room is starting to look less cluttered. :D

ETA: Sold a few more toys and knickknacks tonight. I’m happy to be making progress. Made $40.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 04:01:35 AM by Freedomin5 »

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6207 on: November 20, 2022, 08:52:46 PM »
My local "help each other out" FB group had a post where a mom was looking for huge shoes and tall sized clothing for her 4 kids. Fortunately we have lots of huge shoes and tall sized clothing in this home! DH has about 9 pairs of sneakers he wore at various times after a foot surgery and none of them were ever right. I packed up about 15 items I no longer need. So there's a huge load going out tomorrow.

The local free store is closed this week. Anything else I gather will have to wait until next week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6208 on: November 21, 2022, 09:18:13 AM »
Sold the last of my husband's outgrown hoodies on eBay. It's now in the mail and on its way to someone else.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6209 on: November 21, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »
Decluttered the kitchen table and wiped it down. The whole surface was being 'used' for quick access to medical insurance booklets, previous years' tax records, and literature from the senior center, even some pots and pans.   I just moved it all to other places in the house, hope I remember where, lol.  Was able to recycle a few booklets, and toss out some unused containers.   

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6210 on: November 21, 2022, 12:44:09 PM »
Worked on the garage this past weekend.  So much straight up garbage! I disassembled old bird feeders to separate plastic from metal. Dumped out seed for birds to eat or compost. Tossed broken this and that.  Still won't hold two cars, but that's OK we only have one car for now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6211 on: November 21, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »
-Went through my underwear & sock drawer. Got rid of stuff I never wear.
-Found three shirts I'll pass on via Buy Nothing
-Added a few items to the donation pile

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #6212 on: November 22, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »
I had sold a pair of skis to an acquaintance in May, but they live prohibitively far enough to not want to ship/or drive and drop off. They also didnt have a problem just waiting till winter when we might meet up on the slopes. I was going to be driving pass their location yesterday finally, and arranged a pick up. It worked out great since it wasn't out of my way and we needed to take a stretching break anyways.

Also, passed on 4 picture frames via Buy Nothing app.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6213 on: November 22, 2022, 07:09:53 PM »
Got the Christmas decorations out of storage. Last year's decluttering must have worked! Everything I unpacked was something I wanted to keep and fit on the tree. There wasn't a single broken, forgotten, or even 'meh' ornament or decoration!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6214 on: November 23, 2022, 07:09:20 AM »
@okisok, that is awesome!

I gave away a set of candles that aggravate my asthma to my neighbor, and she gave me a pomegranate in return. That was a delicious, unexpected reward for a very small act of decluttering. :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6215 on: November 23, 2022, 08:42:22 AM »
I recently moved down to using a travel purse permanently (it's a tiny purse, and fits cross body, freeing up my hands). I love it & don't plan to go back to my other purse. I cleaned it out, & posted it on BN. I'll give it away this weekend. It's a really nice purse, so there's a lot of interest. It always makes me happy to pass stuff along to people who actually want it & will use it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6216 on: November 23, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
Worked on the garage this past weekend.  So much straight up garbage! I disassembled old bird feeders to separate plastic from metal. Dumped out seed for birds to eat or compost. Tossed broken this and that.  Still won't hold two cars, but that's OK we only have one car for now.

It's easy for me to keep my garage uncluttered, because I keep my beautiful 1988 GTA Firebird safe from the elements inside the garage. No way I'm putting her outside, lol !   

It's a one car garage. Only room around the sides and front for any storage.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6217 on: November 23, 2022, 09:43:30 AM »

It's easy for me to keep my garage uncluttered, because I keep my beautiful 1988 GTA Firebird safe from the elements inside the garage. No way I'm putting her outside, lol !   

It's a one car garage. Only room around the sides and front for any storage.

Sweet
Our garage is two-car.  The builder built it to hold his giant convertible from the 60's plus another car.  It's huge but we have a lot of garage stuff.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6218 on: November 23, 2022, 04:39:30 PM »
Put the empty holiday decoration boxes back in the attic only a few days after I emptied them. I usually leave them hanging out in the living room for several days.

I read a great tip online that said you could put your regular decor in the empty holiday storage boxes so they are neatly out of the way while the holiday decor is out. When the holiday is over, you switch and put your usual ornaments back out and put the holiday items back in the boxes. Great idea, I just don't have any 'usual decor' to put in the boxes :) But it might help someone out.

Cleaned out a bathroom drawer and tossed out a stretched out headband.

It's dark and rainy here so I'm working my way through the tea stash and the wood pile ;)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6219 on: November 23, 2022, 05:58:07 PM »
I read a great tip online that said you could put your regular decor in the empty holiday storage boxes so they are neatly out of the way while the holiday decor is out. When the holiday is over, you switch and put your usual ornaments back out and put the holiday items back in the boxes. Great idea, I just don't have any 'usual decor' to put in the boxes :) But it might help someone out.

I am someone! I don't have a ton of stuff but I do have some. This is brilliant! Thanks for sharing!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6220 on: November 24, 2022, 02:59:24 PM »
Went through a stack of papers and recycled/shredded a lot.  In process of filing the rest.

Giving away some winter thermals, a pair of never worn gloves, another pair of gloves that I was gifted, a pair of shoes, an old film camera, a magazine rack and some notebooks.  Also going to take a walking boot and a thumb splint to the PT's for rehoming.  I've been keeping them for a few years out of superstition that if I get rid of them, I'll need them again, and I don't want any more broken bones!

Since it's now winter and I have more time on my hands, I expect to get rid of more over the coming months.  I'm back in the decluttering mindset.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6221 on: November 25, 2022, 08:51:22 AM »
Last winter, I bought new ski pants for my teen, knowing he would be growing out of his old pair. Sure enough, it's almost that time, and I had him try on his current pair. They were about six inches too short. The new pair fit great, so I listed the old ones on Buy Nothing, and had someone pick them up in less than an hour. Youth ski pants go quickly this time of year, and I'm happy to save someone else the expense.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #6222 on: November 25, 2022, 01:55:04 PM »
Ongoing challenge: get rid of enough books that I don't have book piles on the floor. It's... progressing. Will be bringing another bag of them to the charity shop hopefully tomorrow.

Minion458

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6223 on: November 25, 2022, 08:03:44 PM »
My house was SO cluttered in the past. A few years ago I decided to Thanos my things and get rid of half of my stuff. Clothes, books, keepsakes, stuff I'd accumulated over the years...pretty much everything was on the table except for things like furniture and tools. It was so freeing. I still need to be in a special mood to be able to sidestep my emotional attachment to things, but it got easier as I went along. By the end of the year I'd cleared out so much stuff. I kept asking myself things like
Do I need it?
Do I actually want it or am I keeping it because it has a memory attached?
Do I have a place for it?
If I didn't have this, would I want to buy it now?

It was hard throwing some things away, but I felt so much better after I did.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #6224 on: November 25, 2022, 11:48:25 PM »
My house was SO cluttered in the past. A few years ago I decided to Thanos my things and get rid of half of my stuff. Clothes, books, keepsakes, stuff I'd accumulated over the years...pretty much everything was on the table except for things like furniture and tools. It was so freeing. I still need to be in a special mood to be able to sidestep my emotional attachment to things, but it got easier as I went along. By the end of the year I'd cleared out so much stuff. I kept asking myself things like
Do I need it?

Wow! I have been passively decluttering for years, but I love the idea of half. Half would be about right for my living space. *snaps fingers*

Kudos for your awesome, freeing progress. :)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6225 on: November 26, 2022, 05:53:00 AM »
Wow...half!

Last night I found myself alone for the whole evening.  So I finished listening to a long audio book and to keep my hands occupied, I emptied the pantry, washed down the shelves and sorted the food. I wish we had chickens to clean up stale this and that. Three cupboards done. Four to go.
I needed an empty house with no one around judging my disorganized shopping or hoarding habits.  The next cupboards are not going to be as hard.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6226 on: November 26, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »
I went through a bin of papers that have been stacking up, recycled some and organized the rest. It doesn't look like much, but it sure felt good!

Do I need it?

Wow! I have been passively decluttering for years, but I love the idea of half. Half would be about right for my living space. *snaps fingers*

Kudos for your awesome, freeing progress. :)

That is so impressive, @Minion458! And I appreciate your perspective about how even though it's hard in some cases, it's worth it.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6227 on: November 27, 2022, 09:05:57 AM »

This is a next level decluttering question!!! Also difficult since I never want to buy anything :D

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6228 on: November 27, 2022, 12:17:13 PM »
I am unfortunately cluttering up my house extensively with cat toys. It's hard to walk, never mind vacuum. Got more mousie toys and a cat tree on the way to join the current mess. That's kittens for you.

However, I did drop off 2 bags of food and hygiene items to a pantry, and am returning 2 items to amazon. Also got the carpet repaired from where Arwen had destroyed it, so living room is almost back to normal. Just need to paint and install the toe molding.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6229 on: November 27, 2022, 05:23:10 PM »
I noticed my decade-old IKEA bookshelf has a spit out a screw and one shelf is barely hanging together.  I cleaned off the books and will remove some of the assorted heavy supplies (paint, art stuff) I keep on the shelf in order to repair it next weekend.  I’m pretty proud of my forethought that I labeled the box of screws that we used on this shelf. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6230 on: November 27, 2022, 06:27:00 PM »
We each went through our clothes a bit as we were putting away the laundry and have a few things to take to Goodwill. Wonder where that is in our new town?

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #6231 on: November 27, 2022, 06:37:43 PM »
Hubby and I donated our old ice hockey gear that we haven't used in >15 years. Both of us had been hanging on to it "just in case" we ever wanted to start playing again, but in reality, that would be very unlikely anymore for a variety of reasons. The gear went to a good cause and left me feeling happy and lighter. Also, if we did somehow ever get into that again, we can buy new gear, which is apparently way nicer these days than the clunky old stuff we donned so very many moons ago. 🤭

Two giant bags of stuff gone!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6232 on: November 27, 2022, 07:37:46 PM »
DP went through his closet and got 1.5 bags of items out. I can toss in the last few items I accidentally left out of the bag last time I donated to fill up the half bag. I'll add the xmas tree stand I no longer need to the pile and get it donated.
Took the other bag of clothes to a family member.
One bag of canned goods and assorted items to the little giving box in the next neighborhood over.
Finally got the last box of dog food unloaded from the most recent shipment and got the box in the recycling.
Fridge is cleaned out and the last of the holiday leftovers will be consumed before they go bad.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6233 on: November 28, 2022, 08:55:15 AM »
started going through the seed bins, man there were a lot of empty seed packets.  Was I saving them to know what to re-order?  I need to get 3 seed bins plus a shelf of drying seeds consolidated into one or two seed bins so that I can see everything.
This is going to be tricky as my system of labeling is dodgy at best.  Going to have to run some germination tests to verify what the seeds are exactly.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6234 on: November 28, 2022, 11:07:01 AM »
started going through the seed bins, man there were a lot of empty seed packets.  Was I saving them to know what to re-order?  I need to get 3 seed bins plus a shelf of drying seeds consolidated into one or two seed bins so that I can see everything.
This is going to be tricky as my system of labeling is dodgy at best.  Going to have to run some germination tests to verify what the seeds are exactly.

Most seeds are pretty recognizable, no?  Or do you have some obscure veggies?  There's probably a seed recognition app you can use, like there is for birds, bugs etc.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6235 on: November 28, 2022, 11:45:59 AM »

Most seeds are pretty recognizable, no?  Or do you have some obscure veggies?  There's probably a seed recognition app you can use, like there is for birds, bugs etc.
most are pretty recognizable.  But bok choi, kale varieties, arugula, cabbage and radish are nearly identical.  Since I collected the seeds from my garden, there is a lot of variation in the arugula and kale from the same group of plants.  Since they all germinate quickly, I will plant a flat (and label them well) and sort it all out.  I thought I was planting a healthy bed of kale for the fall, but got bok choi mostly.  A lot of bok choi.  Food pantry was happy to receive it.  Same problem with leeks and scallions.  But I am not going to be donating those seeds to the seed library.

I have to get a better system for marking plants in the garden so that I can actually read the label when they are all dried up brown pods.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6236 on: November 29, 2022, 12:32:54 PM »
We tried out some dressers that didn't work. I was thinking we may change our mind, so I've been storing them in my closet. We didn't change our minds, so I listed them on FB marketplace, and have 20+ offers. Clearly, wrong price, but I have someone coming by to pay & pick them up. Getting them out of the closet will be a big win, as they take up quite a bit of space.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6237 on: November 29, 2022, 07:03:32 PM »
Took the donations to the drop off today only two days after I put the bag in the car.

Broke a cheap tool so into the trash it went. I have a better one but was using the crappy one...ahem...incorrectly.

Got a newer (but still used) phone as my old one won't be supported soon. I sold the old one and it went into the mail the day after the new one arrived. The case went into the trash. I even shipped the old phone out in the new phone box, so one-in-one-out all around.

Packed all summer clothes away and unpacked the winter ones. The decluttering went so well during the summer that there wasn't anything that didn't get worn. Now to finish going through the winter items and see if any of them can go.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6238 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:45 PM »
Every year I try to do a declutter in late December to be ready for the New Year. It's inspired by a Japanese tradition of doing a deep clean at that time but I never get around to the cleaning! I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff but I'm having no luck. I guess people are spending mainly on gifts but will drop the prices and see what happens.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6239 on: November 30, 2022, 12:11:38 PM »
Dropped off a big bag for donation yesterday.  So glad to get that out of the house!

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6240 on: November 30, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »
Next goal - 20 more items by the end of the month either listed for sale or out of the house.

I procrastinated, but got it done: today I donated 12 items, trashed 7 items, and listed 1 item for sale.

One item I donated was a big cardboard cutting board (for sewing).  I'm not sure why I didn't get rid of it sooner!  I intend to keep my sewing machine for small projects, but I haven't cut a pattern in a million years.  Probably would have been something worth trying to sell for a few dollars back when I was doing FB Marketplace, but not worth it now.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #6241 on: December 01, 2022, 05:16:14 PM »
I finally swapped 2 dressers that I was thinking about for a long time. The one I had clothes in had such deep drawers that items got lost, even with trays/containers to separate items. The other has hobby supplies and storage in a spare room. They were similarly sized, but with the shallower drawers I had to remove a half dozen clothing items to make it work well - all into the donate/sell box. The other dresser got the hobby supplies with lots of room to spare so I was able to organize those materials better and both will be much easier to use now.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6242 on: December 01, 2022, 05:45:17 PM »
In a preventative maintenance moment, Ofpym was sending me links to a five-string bass that was unexpectedly $1100 off and then we talked through it and he worked out that the buy urge was entirely because of the sale and that he'd rather upgrade his upright bass.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6243 on: December 02, 2022, 08:08:07 PM »
Used a tiny little scrap of bubble wrap for an outgoing package.

I have not completely unpacked since my last move in February. However, what is still packed is taking up a large number of partially empty boxes. The pile of unpacked, empty boxes is smaller. So I've been holding off on passing along the empty boxes and packing material that is not being used now.

However, after today I think I will hold on to a small/reasonable amount of packing material and boxes, since I have the space. It's nice to be have a supply of packing materials at my fingertips.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6244 on: December 03, 2022, 08:17:58 PM »
My (nice) neighbor got a wood burning stove to help offset heating costs. He uses cardboard to help start the fire. I've been getting a LOT of packages between new kitten and Christmas, so I've been saving that cardboard to give to him. Finally passed it off to him today so giant pile is out of the house.

I finished painting the upstairs bathroom, so as my reward I got a storage cabinet. It arrived, and I got that setup. In the process was able to get rid of all the temporary containers that had been holding everything (for the past 5 years). Some of it went into the above mentioned cardboard pile, and the plastic set of drawers is going to get cleaned and given to my dad to see if he wants it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6245 on: December 04, 2022, 09:56:14 AM »
Finally got all of our dressers moved around, and now have the large dresser that no one wants/doesn't properly fit in any of our rooms listed on FB marketplace. Fingers crossed we can get it out of our entryway soon!

As part of the dresser swap, I went through my 16 y.o.'s clothes, & found a bunch of stuff to give away & couple of things to sell. Those are next on the list.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6246 on: December 04, 2022, 06:20:11 PM »
Gave away two large cardboard boxes to someone that is moving. Saved me a trip to the recycling depot.

I decided to try to sell some books on Marketplace. If they don't sell I will just donate them. I am reading more now that I am retired, and usually buy used for $5. If I can sell them for $5, my reading will essentially be free. I am not a good library person. It takes me a while to read a book, then I forget to renew and get a fine. One time I lost a set of DVD's and had to pay for them. I think that is the last time I borrowed anything from the library.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6247 on: December 04, 2022, 06:25:39 PM »
One decluttering win: tossed out some leftover pieces of an AC that I got rid of weeks ago.

Setup for future decluttering wins: using scrap wood, leveled a cabinet. Soon I will finish unpacking and fill up this cabinet, probably will come up with some things to pass on to their next owners

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6248 on: December 05, 2022, 08:22:01 AM »
Found some linens in the closet that I'll be donating.  (does anyone really use pillow shams??)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6249 on: December 05, 2022, 08:55:22 AM »
one winter coat and one pair of snow pants no longer in the hall closet!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!