Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1262446 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5950 on: July 11, 2022, 02:23:33 PM »
I have regretted donating some stuff, but I can't remember what, ha ha. So it's OK.

Every once in a while, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my childhood favorite stuffed bear, Squeakers. But that feeling passes.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5951 on: July 11, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
I had bought a package of backing foam roll a while ago, used a small amount, and stashed the rest in the tool cupboard. Today, dad came by to ask if I had any before he bought it. One small package out of the house!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5952 on: July 12, 2022, 07:55:39 AM »
Wanted to take a moment to send some encouragement to everyone just starting this process.  It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but in my experience, the best method is:
- whatever works for you
- keep doing it.
It can seem overwhelming when you read about those people quickly decluttering entire rooms, closets, garages, etc. but for long-term success the key will be Persistence.  Unless you're under a time crunch like a family home cleanout and sale, you can go at your own pace as long as you keep going forward.

Yesterday I dropped off 3 items at the Goodwill.  It's not a lot, but I do it consistently because it's now a habit to let go of things I don't need.  It not only clears out physical space but also the mental irritation of thinking "I should do something about this stuff" every time you have to look at it.
Good luck to everyone. 

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5953 on: July 12, 2022, 08:04:10 AM »
My Mom died in February.  I cleared out and sold the 5th Wheel RV she was living in, with the help of my 2 Aunts, and did so by stashing anything I didn't know for sure was trash on top of my already stuffed storage units.  At this point I am going through her papers.  I'm doing it one folder at a time.  I have a large shredder and I work until I get overwhelmed.  I'm doing about 2 folders a week.  It is slow, but I do see progress.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5954 on: July 12, 2022, 03:54:23 PM »
I've been keeping a bag for donations by the door and when it gets full, off it goes. Yesterday it was a handbag, a book, a pair of trousers, a hat and a jacket.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5955 on: July 12, 2022, 06:32:25 PM »
I had bought a package of backing foam roll a while ago, used a small amount, and stashed the rest in the tool cupboard. Today, dad came by to ask if I had any before he bought it. One small package out of the house!

Excellent! 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5956 on: July 12, 2022, 07:38:05 PM »
It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but in my experience, the best method is:
- whatever works for you
- keep doing it.
...for long-term success the key will be Persistence...you can go at your own pace as long as you keep going forward.

So true! I will add that you are never really done. The possessions that serve you now may not do so in a year or a decade. And in the mean time, new things will creep in. Vigilence!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5957 on: July 13, 2022, 07:37:20 AM »
Wanted to take a moment to send some encouragement to everyone just starting this process.  It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but in my experience, the best method is:
- whatever works for you
- keep doing it.
It can seem overwhelming when you read about those people quickly decluttering entire rooms, closets, garages, etc. but for long-term success the key will be Persistence.  Unless you're under a time crunch like a family home cleanout and sale, you can go at your own pace as long as you keep going forward.

Yesterday I dropped off 3 items at the Goodwill.  It's not a lot, but I do it consistently because it's now a habit to let go of things I don't need.  It not only clears out physical space but also the mental irritation of thinking "I should do something about this stuff" every time you have to look at it.
Good luck to everyone.

Yes, persistence!  I have so much stuff to get rid of, one way or another, it does feel like a lifetime project. I keep donating, selling, recycling, tossing, a few things at a time. And I almost never take any new 'future clutter'  into the house. So I know stuff is continually going out, and not in.  Slow and steady wins the race.   

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5958 on: July 13, 2022, 08:15:25 AM »
After going on vacation this past week and seeing in photos how poorly they fit, I unencumbered myself of 3 tshirts.  Then I donated a wedge pillow and a large knickknack to my local thrift shop.  I went early before they opened so I could avoid going inside. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5959 on: July 13, 2022, 10:58:32 AM »
10 more books to the RV park library, a few dozen VHS tapes to the thrift store, as well as a bag-o-junk from my dad's garage.

However, I did buy 2 vertical bookcases off Kijiji, but they will replace a horizontal one, which I'll sell.  More storage and less floor space taken up, so still kind of a win.

Also got rid of a big box of branches that my trees keep shedding, but unfortunately, there will be more in short order.  I'm going to declutter an entire tree in fall, though!  It's not one of the shedders, but is more than half dead, so at least it won't be an eyesore anymore.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5960 on: July 13, 2022, 06:53:31 PM »
Went through my teen son's room while listening to a (recorded) course I'm taking. This is like my 3rd or 4th run through his room this summer, mostly because it's so incredibly messy. Got rid of another few bags of stuff. A bunch to recycling, some to Buy Nothing, and organized other things.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5961 on: July 13, 2022, 08:10:34 PM »
Decluttered the task of installing my new smoke detector. It's been sitting on the kitchen counter for maybe a month. I finally took down the old mounting bracket and installed the new one. It took all of fifteen minutes, including vacuuming up the dust from drilling the holes. Then I vacuumed the base boards and air intake vents. In total, I threw away the old mounting bracket, packaging, and old paint-crusted screws; recycled the instructions; and disposed of a lot of dog hair from the baseboards.
The important part is I got the task off my mental to-do list and the smoke detector parts off the counter.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5962 on: July 13, 2022, 08:11:39 PM »
Donated a bag with some books and clothes that I don't love anymore.  I'm working at realizing that just because something is still 'good', it doesn't mean I have to keep it.   It can be good for someone else instead.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #5963 on: July 14, 2022, 08:36:10 AM »
I sold the leftover remnants from our kitchen slab last weekend! They had been posted for months on CL and Offer Up,  with just a few nibbles. Finally, a lady came and wanted the whole set, one of which was huge and heavy. Not only are they no longer on the side of the house, but I didn't have to figure out a way to transport them to a local fabricator reseller (which was plan B).

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5964 on: July 14, 2022, 09:22:07 AM »
Some microdecluttering. Went through a box of old gift cards, called up the 800 numbers to see what, if any, money remains on them. Was able to recycle some cardboard and paper, and threw out one used up card.

I have $3.17 left on a Walmart card. Must use it and then jettison it!   

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5965 on: July 14, 2022, 10:47:36 AM »
- whatever works for you
- keep doing it.

Good luck to everyone.

Yes, persistence!  I have so much stuff to get rid of, one way or another, it does feel like a lifetime project. I keep donating, selling, recycling, tossing, a few things at a time. And I almost never take any new 'future clutter'  into the house. So I know stuff is continually going out, and not in.  Slow and steady wins the race.   

Persistence does matter, but also there's times where there is just a massive purge all at once. You can be dropping off a bag or a box every couple weeks for years, but then circumstances change and you're suddenly getting rid of a truck load daily for 3 weeks, but then it goes back down to the box or bag level.

Sometimes the shock of a huge declutter absolutely helps. Sometimes the shock isn't helpful in the short term but it's worth managing it because it makes the long term so much better. Moving and deaths are the most common triggers for the big blitz declutters, because it's basically required at those times. If you get into a situation where someone has died, but the stuff hasn't been dealt with, then you can't really heal and move forward. Taking years to clear the possessions of a deceased loved one really isn't emotionally healthy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5966 on: July 14, 2022, 11:15:39 AM »
I go through phases, but have remained persistent for about 10 years. We've moved twice, and the first move was the huge shock to the system. By the second move, we had much less stuff.

I go through all of our stuff as regularly as possible, but it goes in waves. Right now I'm in a peak, because I'm taking an online leadership course, which requires a lot of listening. That time is great to go in a room, crank up the course volume, and declutter.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5967 on: July 14, 2022, 12:26:20 PM »
I go through phases, but have remained persistent for about 10 years. We've moved twice, and the first move was the huge shock to the system. By the second move, we had much less stuff.

I go through all of our stuff as regularly as possible, but it goes in waves. Right now I'm in a peak, because I'm taking an online leadership course, which requires a lot of listening. That time is great to go in a room, crank up the course volume, and declutter.

Exactly. And right now, I'm in a lull. Yeah, some stuff is going out, but it's not much. Mostly just trying to declutter the to-do list!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5968 on: July 17, 2022, 10:07:45 AM »
Finally opened up a big flat rectangular box with a picture inside, that has been leaning against the wall forever.

Assembled the picture in the frame (looks nice) and put the box and bubble wrap in basement for future recycling. I was tempted to keep the empty box for "whatever"  but it feels more right to recycle it than keep it. So no anxiety there, ha ha.   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5969 on: July 17, 2022, 10:15:09 AM »
I've been decluttering for a while now in anticipation of a move.  The movers come tomorrow, I have been packing all week, and I have taken out so much garbage and recycling already!  Where was it all hiding?

I can see a few places where I failed at one in - one out, but mostly it has been stuff that was "OK" but not worth moving.

I am OK with the duplicates where they are useful - i.e. cleaners in each bathroom so I am not carrying them from room to room, I can clean one bathroom when I am in it without going to the other for supplies.  But somehow I have a lot of laundry detergent - I have been working on using it up and not buying more for over a year, and I still have enough for another year at least.

My shopping habits were developed when I lived in a house in the country, and shopping was a pain.  Apartment living is different, obviously I have not fully adjusted.  40 years of habits are hard to change.    ;-)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5970 on: July 17, 2022, 10:35:18 AM »
I've been decluttering for a while now in anticipation of a move.  The movers come tomorrow, I have been packing all week, and I have taken out so much garbage and recycling already!  Where was it all hiding?

I can see a few places where I failed at one in - one out, but mostly it has been stuff that was "OK" but not worth moving.

I am OK with the duplicates where they are useful - i.e. cleaners in each bathroom so I am not carrying them from room to room, I can clean one bathroom when I am in it without going to the other for supplies.  But somehow I have a lot of laundry detergent - I have been working on using it up and not buying more for over a year, and I still have enough for another year at least.

My shopping habits were developed when I lived in a house in the country, and shopping was a pain.  Apartment living is different, obviously I have not fully adjusted.  40 years of habits are hard to change.    ;-)

We recently moved from a 1100sqft condo, with a two car garage to everything in our boat, dock box or car. We had been buying DH's cereal at Costco, so that takes up an entire cupboard on the boat...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5971 on: July 17, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »

We recently moved from a 1100sqft condo, with a two car garage to everything in our boat, dock box or car. We had been buying DH's cereal at Costco, so that takes up an entire cupboard on the boat...

Oooh, that is major downsizing.  I hope your DH really loves his cereal, because that is a major space sacrifice!

I stopped doing much shopping at Costco a while ago, in anticipation of the move.  Plus I have been eating out of the freezer and pantry as much as I could.  They are probably my least problematic area.  But the canning jars that used to be full and are now empty still need to get moved.

I love my plants, but they can't go in the moving van, they would get cooked.  Somehow I have to get plants and cat and her stuff and electronics that should not go in the van all in my car.  I have also been giving away plants like mad.  Anyone in Ottawa want a large (and I do mean large) Norfolk Island Pine?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5972 on: July 17, 2022, 11:49:21 AM »

Oooh, that is major downsizing.  I hope your DH really loves his cereal, because that is a major space sacrifice!

I stopped doing much shopping at Costco a while ago, in anticipation of the move.  Plus I have been eating out of the freezer and pantry as much as I could.  They are probably my least problematic area.  But the canning jars that used to be full and are now empty still need to get moved.

I love my plants, but they can't go in the moving van, they would get cooked.  Somehow I have to get plants and cat and her stuff and electronics that should not go in the van all in my car.  I have also been giving away plants like mad.  Anyone in Ottawa want a large (and I do mean large) Norfolk Island Pine?

Put the plants on fb marketplace/buy nothing/etc. Only keep the ones you absolutely can't part with.

Also, electronics absolutely can go on the truck, you just have to pack them right. How do you think they got to the store for you to buy? Get a box for the monitor/tv. I keep towers/laptops with me, because of the data. Tablets could go either way, depends what you have on them. Printers, scanners, dvds, etc just box up. Parents had an entire box that was labeled electronics, full of cords, phones, the power strips, mice, clocks, etc. That box was both easy and hard to unpack, but the fact that it was all together was easier. There was a bag of batteries, each put into a baggie and labeled where it came from that had to go in the car, the moving company didn't want it in the truck.

Cat stuff - gets split. What you need immediately for the cat goes in the car. The rest, put in a box labeled cat stuff so you can find it easily.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5973 on: July 17, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »
Put the plants on fb marketplace/buy nothing/etc. Only keep the ones you absolutely can't part with.

Also, electronics absolutely can go on the truck, you just have to pack them right. How do you think they got to the store for you to buy? Get a box for the monitor/tv. I keep towers/laptops with me, because of the data. Tablets could go either way, depends what you have on them. Printers, scanners, dvds, etc just box up. Parents had an entire box that was labeled electronics, full of cords, phones, the power strips, mice, clocks, etc. That box was both easy and hard to unpack, but the fact that it was all together was easier. There was a bag of batteries, each put into a baggie and labeled where it came from that had to go in the car, the moving company didn't want it in the truck.

Cat stuff - gets split. What you need immediately for the cat goes in the car. The rest, put in a box labeled cat stuff so you can find it easily.

Plants - anything I can part with is already gone.  Only the keepers are getting moved.  Things like the 2 pots of dwarf date palms that I started from seed.  I'm not going to find date palms at the local nursery.   ;-)

Electronics - basically my laptops (which would go with me anyway, not on the van), wireless phones and batteries - I have no idea how hot the truck will get, but I don't want anything with batteries in it.  Printer, chargers etc. will be packed.  For sure I am not wasting car space on cords and things.

And cat stuff - basically what will make her happy the first night - so kitty litter and tray (of course), some food and bowls (again of course), favourite pillow and toys.  Her cat tower and general stuff will go in the van.

The car also gets my stuff for the first night.  And food that needs refrigeration.

Seriously I have thought all this out in excruciating detail.  Anything that can go in the van will go in the van.  The car is for things that absolutely can't go in the van.  And part of the "can't go in the van" is that it is going to be a 6 hour or more drive on a hot day, so I am being careful about the van's interior temperature.  When I moved from last house to here, it was also summer, but at most an hour and a half drive, so not nearly as much worry about interior van temps.  There is some rain in the forecast, so it won't be as bad as it could be, but still too hot.

I am paying a small fortune for this move, I want that van stuffed full!!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5974 on: July 17, 2022, 12:38:38 PM »
Made a final run through my 15 y.o's room with him. We figured out a closet solution, unpacked, washed, hung & organized all of his clothes from camp. Went through all of his clothes & tossed what doesn't fit. Found a stack of clothes for Buy Nothing (already listed), one item for eBay (listed) & two PE uniforms, that another mom is super excited to get & picking up shortly. Woohoo. Progress.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5975 on: July 17, 2022, 01:56:14 PM »

Plants - anything I can part with is already gone.  Only the keepers are getting moved.  Things like the 2 pots of dwarf date palms that I started from seed.  I'm not going to find date palms at the local nursery.   ;-)

Electronics - basically my laptops (which would go with me anyway, not on the van), wireless phones and batteries - I have no idea how hot the truck will get, but I don't want anything with batteries in it.  Printer, chargers etc. will be packed.  For sure I am not wasting car space on cords and things.

And cat stuff - basically what will make her happy the first night - so kitty litter and tray (of course), some food and bowls (again of course), favourite pillow and toys.  Her cat tower and general stuff will go in the van.

The car also gets my stuff for the first night.  And food that needs refrigeration.

Seriously I have thought all this out in excruciating detail.  Anything that can go in the van will go in the van.  The car is for things that absolutely can't go in the van.  And part of the "can't go in the van" is that it is going to be a 6 hour or more drive on a hot day, so I am being careful about the van's interior temperature.  When I moved from last house to here, it was also summer, but at most an hour and a half drive, so not nearly as much worry about interior van temps.  There is some rain in the forecast, so it won't be as bad as it could be, but still too hot.

I am paying a small fortune for this move, I want that van stuffed full!!!

Can you remove the batteries from the phones? All of the ones I've seen you can, but that may not be case universally. Then only the batteries need to go in the car and they're a lot smaller. Car space is precious.

Why are you taking fridge food? Medications, yes. Snacks for the road, ok. The rest of it? Last in the car, first in the trash.

And yes, I believe you that it's planned out. A double check from someone else still helps.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5976 on: July 17, 2022, 06:18:57 PM »
Phones are wireless, batteries not accessible, don't take up much space.  I am not taking much food since I have to come back twice more, it will get eaten or thrown out the last day here.  But I don't want to have to grocery shop until Wednesday, it isn't fair to the cat to leave her alone in the new place when she will be disoriented and groggy (she gets her gabapentin both tomorrow morning and Tuesday morning).

So car is cat, essential cat stuff, the big plants that the moving crew can carry to the car, smaller plants as there is space, my laptops, my carry-on suitcase, some food for lunch on the road and 2 days worth of meals.  Oh and me.  ;-)

I won't bother taking the plants up tomorrow night, since the plant stand will be in the van. I'll get the crew to take them up.  My back has worked hard enough.

But yes, if anyone has last-minute tips that's fine, I have probably thought of them, I have moved so much recently,  but if I haven't it is good to have new ideas.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5977 on: July 18, 2022, 03:55:51 PM »
I'm on a one day decluttering high.  I sold 3000 sheets of cardstock (thick hard paper) on Facebook Marketplace. 

So easy. Just pack it up in bags and out it goes to happy new user.  About 3 cubic feet, and at least 10 pounds.    Got $30. 

Clutter out, cash in! Woohoo !   

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5978 on: July 18, 2022, 05:19:37 PM »
I'm on a one day decluttering high.  I sold 3000 sheets of cardstock (thick hard paper) on Facebook Marketplace. 

So easy. Just pack it up in bags and out it goes to happy new user.  About 3 cubic feet, and at least 10 pounds.    Got $30. 

Clutter out, cash in! Woohoo !

That's great! I have also had success selling on FB Marketplace.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5979 on: July 18, 2022, 05:36:15 PM »
Nice one Slackmax! Keep it going!

My tiny declutter was two more books that we are never going to read out to the street library (from whence they came). The other thing that has been really helping my general sense of order has been changing to cash-only grocery shopping by bike. It restricts the amount that I can buy at any one time so I've been buying things once they run out instead of in anticipation. The kitchen just feels *less stressful* - mostly because there's less clutter and less need to use things up before they go off.   

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5980 on: July 18, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »
Tiny declutter. Three books to the little free library, two brought home. One will be mailed to a friend after I finish it, the other will be returned to the little library.

GardenBaker

• Stubble
« Reply #5981 on: July 20, 2022, 08:19:30 AM »
Took 1 book, 3 pairs of shoes, 1 cardigan, 1 pair of jeans and 4 shirts to the donation bin in town. Also used up one bottle of hair product that's been taking up room in a drawer.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5982 on: July 20, 2022, 02:31:06 PM »
Some microdecluttering. Went through a box of old gift cards, called up the 800 numbers to see what, if any, money remains on them. Was able to recycle some cardboard and paper, and threw out one used up card.

I love that term, micro-decluttering!

It is so rewarding to have already decluttered an area a while ago, and then go back for smaller sized jobs.

I'm a teacher and not working this summer, but for family health reasons we aren't able to travel or vacation.  I spent a good bit of these first three "summer vacation" weeks doing major and minor decluttering.   Now I'm spent!  But enjoying some micro-decluttering.

Today's small task was to gather all old electronics and various charging bricks and cords.   I checked if they all still worked, and am now sorting out recycling/donating/safe disposal and storage of usable extras.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5983 on: July 21, 2022, 08:55:33 AM »

I love that term, micro-decluttering!

Thanks, CrustyBadger !

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #5984 on: July 21, 2022, 10:00:46 AM »
Loaded up a few shopping bags worth of old clothes from my daughter's closet. Kids clothes are such a constant source of clutter because they grow out of them so fast. will feel really good to get them out of the house and over to the donation bin

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5985 on: July 21, 2022, 12:26:23 PM »
Loaded up a few shopping bags worth of old clothes from my daughter's closet. Kids clothes are such a constant source of clutter because they grow out of them so fast. will feel really good to get them out of the house and over to the donation bin

Truth. What helps is finding a family (could be cousins, could be neighbors, etc.) that has a kiddo or two that are a year or two younger than yours - they can 'shop' your closet once the kiddos outgrow things and then you can take what they don't take to the donation bin. This puts a time frame on getting the outgrown clothes out the door, as you don't want to miss the window for passing those things along. (My youngest is exactly a year older than his cousin, so as soon as he outgrows something I FT my sister to see if she wants it. If not, it's posted on my local Buy Nothing group and, if I don't have a taker in a week, tossed in a bag for the donation bin.)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5986 on: July 21, 2022, 02:12:41 PM »
One rule that helped me when I was decluttering and felt overwhelmed:

"Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect.  It just has to be better."

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5987 on: July 22, 2022, 01:36:22 PM »

Truth. What helps is finding a family (could be cousins, could be neighbors, etc.) that has a kiddo or two that are a year or two younger than yours - they can 'shop' your closet once the kiddos outgrow things and then you can take what they don't take to the donation bin. This puts a time frame on getting the outgrown clothes out the door, as you don't want to miss the window for passing those things along. (My youngest is exactly a year older than his cousin, so as soon as he outgrows something I FT my sister to see if she wants it. If not, it's posted on my local Buy Nothing group and, if I don't have a taker in a week, tossed in a bag for the donation bin.)

My kids are teens, so they are mostly slowed down on the growth curve, although they each grew 4 inches last year, so ... still needing upsizing.

My approach is similar. I list everything on Buy Nothing. Whatever isn't taken in a week goes to the donation pile. My sister often gives us hand me downs from my 2 nephews, so that works as well.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5988 on: July 25, 2022, 07:36:02 AM »
I found an old computer programming instructional binder I was able to part with and removed all the pages and put them out on the curb in the recycling bin. Since that was painless, went back into the stack and found another one and put it out too. Will donate the two empty binders next. Goodwill sells them for $1 each.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5989 on: July 25, 2022, 01:08:03 PM »
Was looking for stuff and discovered some ancient catalogues and other miscellaneous papers, now I have four inches of file space and a full recycling bin.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5990 on: July 25, 2022, 01:24:20 PM »
Our guest cabin on the boat has an extra piece of wood and a cushion that make the bed huge, but the floor just big enough to swing the door. We finally through it out, since we hardly have any guests and most choose the floor space over the extra bed space. It is only about 3 x 2, but not storing it makes such a big difference!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5991 on: July 25, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »
Finally got a trunkful of donations to the charity shop. It feels so good to have an empty trunk!! Clothes, shoes, home goods, stuff I had forgotten because it was in the bottom of the box for so long.

I gave two books to a visiting friend. Returned a borrowed book to another friend. Returned library books of DP's to him. All the books in my home are ones that I want to keep.

Got all the clutter in my home put away. An out-of-town friend was able to visit my house with a few hours' notice. I got my bike out of living room, put away the laundry, got all the appliances off the counter, put kids toys away, everything I'd been putting off for weeks got done in less than three hours. It really helps to look at the space with another's eyes and I saw a LOT of stuff out of place.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #5992 on: July 25, 2022, 08:59:57 PM »
Finally got a trunkful of donations to the charity shop. It feels so good to have an empty trunk!! Clothes, shoes, home goods, stuff I had forgotten because it was in the bottom of the box for so long.

I gave two books to a visiting friend. Returned a borrowed book to another friend. Returned library books of DP's to him. All the books in my home are ones that I want to keep.

Got all the clutter in my home put away. An out-of-town friend was able to visit my house with a few hours' notice. I got my bike out of living room, put away the laundry, got all the appliances off the counter, put kids toys away, everything I'd been putting off for weeks got done in less than three hours. It really helps to look at the space with another's eyes and I saw a LOT of stuff out of place.

Wait, where does the bike go if not the living room?? We actually added hardware to secure our bikes at one end of the main seating area.

We may be decluttering, but our boat holds two folding mountain bikes, one tandem kayak (hobie mirage drive, so it has lots of extra gear, one stand up paddle board, and a small raft. Oh, and two hula hoops :)

And people try to tell us our boat isn't big enough!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5993 on: July 26, 2022, 04:18:16 PM »

Wait, where does the bike go if not the living room?? We actually added hardware to secure our bikes at one end of the main seating area.

We may be decluttering, but our boat holds two folding mountain bikes, one tandem kayak (hobie mirage drive, so it has lots of extra gear, one stand up paddle board, and a small raft. Oh, and two hula hoops :)

And people try to tell us our boat isn't big enough!

Well, since I have a garage I thought it best stored out there :) Speaking of garage, that's the next declutter project. As soon as it's not over 100 degrees

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #5994 on: July 26, 2022, 05:25:17 PM »
I have been going room by room and trying to de clutter.  We have had some extended family items also emerge in our home.  We are trying to go through all of those and decide what we want to keep, what to trash, and what can be donated.

We are trying to get much less clutter in our home.  Trying to live a “simpler” life.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #5995 on: July 26, 2022, 08:19:28 PM »
I have been going room by room and trying to de clutter.  We have had some extended family items also emerge in our home.  We are trying to go through all of those and decide what we want to keep, what to trash, and what can be donated.

We are trying to get much less clutter in our home.  Trying to live a “simpler” life.

Good luck! I have come to realize that “everything in its place” gives me a measure of peace that likely is unreasonable, but I don’t care. A less cluttered home for me is the goal. And the only way to get there is to be ruthless about junk.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5996 on: July 27, 2022, 09:19:31 PM »
Today I finished a sewing project I started back in April. As soon as I finished it, I realized I didn't like it and it wasn't going to serve its intended purpose. Straight into the donation bag. The pattern went right into recycling. It was a fail, but it did get me in the mood for other sewing so I'm working through my fabric stash and my sewing area is a glorious mess.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5997 on: July 29, 2022, 08:24:45 AM »
I used up the last $3.24 on my Walmart card that I had found during a painstaking  recent microdecluttering. And therefore was able to throw it out! One less card stretching out my wallet.

Also, listed a big old cannister vacuum cleaner online, to sell it.  No offers yet. After a while of no offers, I will be emotionally able to just donate the old bulky thing, and free up some more space in the house.   

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5998 on: July 29, 2022, 09:19:07 PM »
4m scrap metal skip bin here for the week. This weekend's job is fill it up with all the metal crap lying around the place.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5999 on: July 30, 2022, 09:09:32 AM »
4m scrap metal skip bin here for the week. This weekend's job is fill it up with all the metal crap lying around the place.

How do you have enough scrap metal to fill a 4m bin? That's a LOT.