Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1254153 times)

lazycow

• Bristles
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5500 on: November 20, 2021, 12:43:55 AM »
A thoroughly well-used trampoline (rusted) so broken down and taken to the tip (they separate out all the sellable parts so not total trash)
2 Wasgij puzzles I completed during lockdowns, 1 book, 1 DVD set, several bamboo placements (bought for a gardening project which never happened) and all my son's Year 12 texts and uniforms (yay! Formal schooling DONE for my family). Unfortunately the schools change their text books every couple of years so I had to recycle them rather than pass them on or sell them. Why they still use paper texts when they have digital copies is beyond me, so wasteful.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5501 on: November 21, 2021, 07:59:31 AM »
I wish governments would figure out that if you make it hard to get rid of something properly, then people are just going to get rid of it the easy way. Your example is the tv. Mine is the old smoke detectors. Even haz waste wouldn't take them.

They have in many countries.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5502 on: November 21, 2021, 08:11:11 AM »
-Kids have outgrown their ski gear, so already posted on Buy Nothing, and have folks coming over this morning.
-Have set aside two pair of pants & a puzzle to list in the next few days
-Tossed the items I've listed on Buy Nothing & got no takers for
-Recycled a bunch of old papers

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5503 on: November 22, 2021, 04:38:47 AM »
It has been a pretty productive decluttering month after three months of buildup.

An huge load went to donation - like entire car load.
A surplus pumpkin/squash harvest got donated. (14 large - to a community food pantry.)
3 - buttercup squash that were starting to go, made into soup.  Yield nine Liters.  I dropped some off at neighbours.

2 boxes of porcelain dishes out of my garage to my brothers.  He might bring them back!
One bag of clothes
A whole box of really old seed - I realized I could just compost / see what comes up in an area of the garden that is weedy so I dumped them on the soil.  (I am pretty good at identifying plants early)
I am working my way through the cold cellar and freezer and pantry already and not worrying about "conserving" the harvest.
Tossed a bunch of old / random / broken trays, pots into recycling.
Been working my way through pantry items from my late friend.  Used up all the soy sauces, plain olive oils, some of the tea, some of the vinegars. I need to go through the rest of my pantry and take some inventory. It has been really comforting to be making pickles and not have enough cider vinegar, dive into the box from her condo and be 'saved' from a grocery store trip' by a former neighbour, who while alive was my go-to for a little whatever.  (I was also her emergency cup-of-sugar/egg/fresh herb person too)

I have started a fitness program and am now using some runners, bands and balls that were just kicking around here.  Balls that no longer inflate, bands that snap in half: tossed!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5504 on: November 22, 2021, 07:19:29 AM »
Have someone coming today to pick up two pair of pants & two shirts that my husband & kids outgrew. (Husband is shrinking, kids are growing). It will be nice to get them out of the house.

Ski clothes are picked up & in the hands of others. We're trying to wrap up a puzzle before Thanksgiving (we need the table space). Once that happens, I have two puzzles to give away on Buy Nothing.

I've made zero progress on eBay in months. Need to decide if I should post a few things, or pause all of my listings & just give stuff away. Food for thought.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5505 on: November 22, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »
I wish governments would figure out that if you make it hard to get rid of something properly, then people are just going to get rid of it the easy way. Your example is the tv. Mine is the old smoke detectors. Even haz waste wouldn't take them.
This is somewhat off topic, but on the subject of spending tax money wisely. My city has a beautiful wooded park that I like to walk in often. They are putting in a huge paved asphalt walkway now, about a mile of it, all throughout the place, which in my opinion is ruining the park. It uglifies and citifies it. It was perfect before, and now they are wasting our tax money ruining my park.  There were already nice natural grass or wood chip walkways in the same routes. 

Maybe a lot of residents actually want it. There is no discussion of it at all on social media. Maybe it's just a boondoggle routing money to somebody's brother.

Millions of dollars possibly. How many TV's could have been recycled for a million bucks?   

OK, rant over. Couldn't find a more appropriate thread to rant in.     
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:28:05 AM by slackmax »

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #5506 on: November 22, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »
This is somewhat off topic, but on the subject of spending tax money wisely. My city has a beautiful wooded park that I like to walk in often. They are putting in a huge paved asphalt walkway now, about a mile of it, all throughout the place, which in my opinion is ruining the park. It uglifies and citifies it. It was perfect before, and now they are wasting our tax money ruining my park.  There were already nice natural grass or wood chip walkways in the same routes. 

Maybe a lot of residents actually want it. There is no discussion of it at all on social media. Maybe it's just a boondoggle routing money to somebody's brother.

Millions of dollars possibly. How many TV's could have been recycled for a million bucks?   

Sounds like the path upgrade will make the park much more accessible to anyone who is in a wheelchair/has poor balance/has kids in a stroller/etc.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5507 on: November 22, 2021, 05:56:25 PM »

Sounds like the path upgrade will make the park much more accessible to anyone who is in a wheelchair/has poor balance/has kids in a stroller/etc.
Yeah, I was thinking *accessibility*

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5508 on: November 22, 2021, 06:10:34 PM »
I have a bad habit of transferring the important stuff I need into a new purse and leaving the old used purse in a corner of my closet (with random stuff still in it).

I went through all of my discarded purses this weekend and found over $300 worth of unexpired gift cards. And close to $20 in loose change.  Donated half the purses and threw away the ones that were too rough to salvage.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5509 on: November 23, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »
Yesterday, did some rearranging of stuff on the kitchen. Moved a box of clean empty glass jars to the basement. Consolidated some stuff. More room now. Less cluttered. Threw out a few baggies of old dulse (dried seaweed).     

Focused on the upstairs den for 2 hours today. Identified lots of stuff for selling at the flea market.  Consolidated. Found enough appropriate clothes for one bag of donations and one bag to go to 'textile recycling'.     

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5510 on: November 23, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »

My city has the right idea.  As long as I separate yard debris from household garbage, I can pile it by the curb and the city will (eventually) come get it.  It's always funny to see people who move here from other places whine about it on the local Facebook pages.  "My neighbor keeps piling garbage by the side of the road and the city has to deal with it.  There has to be an ordinance against this."  No.  No there's not.  In fact, it's a service we pay for. 

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5511 on: November 23, 2021, 06:27:02 PM »
Donated a garbage bag full of clothing and books today.  I've been driving around with it in my trunk for a couple of weeks, and I'm glad to have the trunk space back again.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5512 on: November 23, 2021, 09:47:38 PM »

My city has the right idea.  As long as I separate yard debris from household garbage, I can pile it by the curb and the city will (eventually) come get it.  It's always funny to see people who move here from other places whine about it on the local Facebook pages.  "My neighbor keeps piling garbage by the side of the road and the city has to deal with it.  There has to be an ordinance against this."  No.  No there's not.  In fact, it's a service we pay for.

Considering one of my tasks over the next 5 days will involve dumping a large amount of leaves and other yard waste into piles along the street, I get it. Though for me, they're coming next week Tuesday. There's a schedule. Now, please tell the last tree to hurry up and drop the leaves already.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5513 on: November 23, 2021, 10:14:32 PM »
Today I donated two pillows and a quilt to a lady in need that is leaving a toxic relationship with nothing.

My city closed the recycling depot where you can take leaves a couple of weeks ago, before my leaves were all raked up, so now I either have to take them to the dump, store them until next spring, or put them in the garbage bin.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #5514 on: November 24, 2021, 11:04:49 AM »
My parents downsized a few years ago and got a storage unit for a bit while they made sure they liked living in a smaller city apartment. They decided they do and bought a similar unit. Now they're ready to commit to the downsize and get rid of the storage unit.

I came home early for Thanksgiving to go through my childhood stuff again. I've definitely gotten rid of a lot over the last few years, but I always find more to cull as time passes. I got rid of another two bags this week. I'm taking about half a suitcase worth of stuff back with me, and have one remaining plastic tub worth in my parents' closet to continue to take back over time. (I live a flight away and don't want to risk mailing it.)

I guess I'm technically increasing the amount of stuff in my own small apartment, but it feels great to be at the point where I'm not putting the burden on my parents to store childhood mementos anymore. I've finally culled it down enough that it will fit in my own place - I know exactly where each thing can go, and it won't feel like clutter.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5515 on: November 24, 2021, 12:05:40 PM »

Considering one of my tasks over the next 5 days will involve dumping a large amount of leaves and other yard waste into piles along the street, I get it. Though for me, they're coming next week Tuesday. There's a schedule. Now, please tell the last tree to hurry up and drop the leaves already.

Even when it’s easy, lots of people just can’t be bothered.  My city has yard waste recycling depots at 2 schools not far from me and I regularly see bags and bags of lawn clippings and leaves on the curb on garbage day, even at houses 1/2 block away from the depots.  We have no other curb side pick up, but then the city complains that it’s running out of landfill space.  At least I do see lots of people actually take compostables to the proper bins at the dump, but we could be doing so much more.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5516 on: November 24, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
Have someone coming today to pick up two pair of pants & two shirts that my husband & kids outgrew. (Husband is shrinking, kids are growing). It will be nice to get them out of the house.

Ski clothes are picked up & in the hands of others. We're trying to wrap up a puzzle before Thanksgiving (we need the table space). Once that happens, I have two puzzles to give away on Buy Nothing.

I've made zero progress on eBay in months. Need to decide if I should post a few things, or pause all of my listings & just give stuff away. Food for thought.

I am moving so had to finish a puzzle fast so I had time to sell it before the move. I have started buying them used and selling them after finishing, if I manage to finish them without loosing pieces. I have found one piece in the fridge under the vegetable box and one in the shower.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5517 on: November 26, 2021, 04:33:19 AM »
I have too many bottles and tubs of cleaners under my kitchen sink and I’m working on that area next. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5518 on: November 27, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »
@Plina - those are some crazy places to find puzzle pieces!

-Finally sold something on eBay, after a long drought. It's in the box on the porch, awaiting package pickup.
-Gave away a puzzle & another winter jacket on Buy Nothing
-Listed outgrown ski boots on Facebook marketplace

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5519 on: November 28, 2021, 09:56:46 AM »
Our local senior center has a small fundraiser by having everyone bring donations of nice, usable but un-wanted Xmas decorations.
Everyone drops them off at a big table and they are priced very inexpensively for the sale.   
Last year's sale netted $350 - a great idea to declutter and make a little cash at the same time.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5520 on: November 28, 2021, 05:21:34 PM »
Put up the Christmas lights. In doing so, put 2 bags of lights aside. One for my friend's dad (he's one of those guys who lights up the neighborhood), and one for my parents. Dropped off both today. Parents will probably return whatever they don't need for their tree, but that is at least a reduced amount. And the icicle lights are gone. Those things annoyed me.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5521 on: November 28, 2021, 05:35:41 PM »
Two more books shed to a community library. One more shirt hit total fabric breakdown.
Next up is actually going through my bags, patterns and material again and Kondo-ing them.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5522 on: November 29, 2021, 05:06:59 AM »
One less vase - not gifted, just smashed during dusting.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5523 on: November 29, 2021, 01:34:08 PM »

Ouch.  I hope it was your least liked vase.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5524 on: November 29, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »

Ouch.  I hope it was your least liked vase.
unfortunately it was one I liked.  Came when DS was born with a pretty arrangements of flowers.  We got so many gifts and flowers when babies were born because my late Dad was so over the moon about becoming a grandfather all his friends and colleagues sent gifts. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5525 on: November 29, 2021, 07:53:42 PM »
Sorry about the vase Frugal Lizard. Bummer when something breaks/wears out that you actually liked.

Gave the leftover Halloween candy to my friend, she's a teacher and can use it for classroom bribes.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5526 on: November 29, 2021, 08:37:26 PM »
Did a run to the tip with a bunch of cardboard and a recycling company picked up a microwave, two crappy broken power tools and other small things. My garage looks heaps better, it's really hard to keep it clear though, another box appeared on my workbench already.

Also listed 6 small things on Buy Nothing, two have gone.

And my husband has said he can let a storage unit from his garage go. It's really not useful for garage storage, it will be replaced with something more useful. Another big win. The organising of his garage is a very slow moving project but quite satisfying, probably because it's not my responsibility!

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5527 on: December 02, 2021, 04:46:35 AM »
Going to start working on purging all our extra "stuff", as in, pretty much everything in our attic that we haven't used in years.  Got a small start on it when bringing down Christmas stuff. 

Some stuff will be donated or trashed, I'll sell whatever I can:
Old twin bed; headboard, footboard, metal frame: $20, which is already in an index fund. :)
FB Marketplace FTW.
Got some bites on a floor lamp for $20 but not sold yet.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5528 on: December 02, 2021, 08:17:12 AM »
- 4 bags of kids clothes out (some half filled) to new homes.  I even released 2 jackets in my youngest's size, as I felt we already were given enough for her to wear.  Usually I hold onto everything in her size "just in case".
- 1 bag of new baby items out to local girls who were sex trafficked (baby gifts we were given we didn't need or duplicates we saved to regift rather than open)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5529 on: December 04, 2021, 12:17:42 AM »
Council cleanup completed. 23m general household items in poor condition, a pile of misc scrap metal and 3 old tyres.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5530 on: December 04, 2021, 12:33:19 AM »
I went and kondo-ed my bags again. That’s another 10 that someone will be stoked to find in an opshop.

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5531 on: December 04, 2021, 01:03:08 AM »
I've done this challenge before where you get rid of 1 thing on day 1, 2 things on day 2, ...and so on for 30 days. I think I quit last time after 8 or 9 days.

Days 1, 2, and 3 - 6 old pieces of clothing thrown away (my husband will use them for whatever dirty stuff he does in the garage).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:05:08 AM by Naomi »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5532 on: December 04, 2021, 02:11:11 PM »
Not really decluttering, but felt good.

I noticed a lot of 'grunge' under the dish rack I use after I hand wash dishes. Probably 2 years' worth.   Spent 15 minutes removing it. Used up some old soft paper for stuffing inside gift boxes. I have tons of it, so this I will consider useful decluttering of the paper.  Then I went wild and cleaned the whole countertop!

Didn't even need detergent. Just water and paper. 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5533 on: December 04, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
Slackmax, good job! It's so satisfying to see a thing needs doing and then do it straightaway.

I have just offloaded a bunch of Xmas deco on FB, got a bite about five mins after listing! I got it free a few years ago for 'Xmas in July' but ended up borrowing a tree and all the baubles so never even used what I'd got. We don't bother decorating at actual Xmas except for a wreath on the door so the neighbours don't think we are grinches. (We are though). I had meant to list this stuff last year, forgot, put a reminder in my calendar for this year, a couple of weeks after that I finally list it, & it's gone. 

I'd like to say that I've freed up space but the box was sitting on the floor after a previous cupboard rearrangement. I knew it absolutely had to go so I wasn't reserving space for it.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5534 on: December 06, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
Organized the coat closet. Tossed 12 pairs of well used shoes from the floor of the closet and organized the rest. Removed most the stuff on the shelf. It looks great and I can see (and get to) everything now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5535 on: December 06, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »
Sold outgrown skis & poles on Facebook. Should have priced them higher, as I had 10+ interested people. Oops.

Listed a couple of holiday items on eBay. Meant to list them earlier, but I forgot. Maybe I'll get some interest ahead of the holidays.

I've given away a bunch of stuff on Buy Nothing lately. Lots of kids outgrown winter gear. Feels nice to get rid of it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5536 on: December 06, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »
Inspired by Slackmax, I saw and immediately cleaned the grotty floor behind the bathroom sink and it looks so much nicer.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5537 on: December 07, 2021, 08:36:32 AM »
Anyone have any idea when Buy Nothing will have it's own standalone app?  I don't use Facebook but I recall reading that Buy Nothing was moving away from Facebook?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5538 on: December 07, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »
Anyone have any idea when Buy Nothing will have it's own standalone app?  I don't use Facebook but I recall reading that Buy Nothing was moving away from Facebook?
The app exists - search BuyNothing. I haven't used it yet myself but the reviews aren't great - sounds like they're still working out some bugs.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5539 on: December 07, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
Inspired by Slackmax, I saw and immediately cleaned the grotty floor behind the bathroom sink and it looks so much nicer.
Yes, mspym !

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5540 on: December 08, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »
Days
4: toothbrush, tape measure, 2 hair clips
5: 2 picture frames, book, camera, battery charger
6: 6 pieces of clothing (donated)

This is already getting harder than I thought, which is a good thing. I'll try to get caught up later on my days off.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5541 on: December 08, 2021, 09:18:33 AM »
Realized I had 2 half-empty bottles of glass cleaner under the sink - combined them and got one bottle out.  I didn't expect it to make a difference, but even small things matter in a space that small.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5542 on: December 09, 2021, 04:20:40 AM »
The old (still working) plastic toilet which the builders put on the nature strip outside my house had been sitting there for 7 weeks.  I had posted it on our local Buy Sell Swap group (much to my husband's horror, haha) but had no response. A neighbour finally came and took it today. Yay! Otherwise it would have ended up in the skip and gone to landfill.

I also cut up all the big plastic bags I'd been saving from our chook food and potting mix. If they are smaller than A3 size they can go in the RedCycle soft plastics recycling. I also took a box of metal bits and pieces to the metal recyclers, a pair of old runners to Rebel Sports' sneaker recycling program, a bag of used contact lenses and cases to my Optometrist's, used toothbrushes and empty toothpaste tubes,  and old pens to my local Council's recycling program. I had been hoarding that stuff for more than a year and it was finally time to get rid of it. Felt really good!!

That is a corner of the shed that is now clear, and I now have room for a proper potting table set up so I can get serious about raising more plants from seed.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5543 on: December 28, 2021, 09:58:38 AM »
Way to go, Lazycow, with the long-awaited recycling.

Today I took out 2 boxes from under the kitchen table to have a look inside. Luckily, they were each about half empty. I spent half an hour seeing what was actually there (spices, empty clean bottles, baggies of seasonings) and actually decluttering.

Threw out some of it, recycled some of the bottles, moved some spices into my spice cabinet. I would never remember what spices I had if I had left them in the boxes. Now at least I can see them in the cabinet, and use them up. 

Combined what was left into one of the boxes, and recycled the other.

More space in the kitchen and a few more spices in the cabinet.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5544 on: December 28, 2021, 10:56:57 AM »
Worked with the kids on their Playmobil stuff. Listed it on Craiglist by set and already sold some very large sets for a good price.
Today I started on my workplace which was cluttered. I have thrown away a lot of dried out hobby paint and grabbed a full bag of old trash clothes from all corners, which will be sent to recycling this week. Only this and some cleaning/reorganising makes such a difference.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5545 on: December 29, 2021, 03:30:55 AM »
DD went through her bookshelf. Sold a few books and will be donating the rest.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5546 on: December 30, 2021, 07:42:13 PM »
Thanks @slackmax ! You're not doing too badly either.

Tallied up my purchases of incoming stuff and items decluttered for the year (I keep a running total) and I have a net outgoing of over 900 things (100 purchases, 1000 items decluttered).

Next year will be an even lower-buy year as I am planning on staying out of op shops, reading my own/library books, volunteering in my local community,  having more board game sessions with friends and more time at the beach.

And looking forward to helping both my kids move out ( but only in the decluttering sense, I will miss them terribly).

YellowCat

• Bristles
« Reply #5547 on: December 31, 2021, 01:26:39 AM »
Recent decluttering efforts:
  • Four big bags of baby & postpartum supplies to a woman’s shelter (baby clothes, toys, linens, books, etc.)
  • Even more kids books to the little free library box our toddler likes to raid. Gotta keep the cycle of goodwill going! Plus his bookshelf was full again.
  • Some adult clothes and more toys loaded into the car to go to Goodwill whenever we get around to it
  • Three pairs of holey wool socks returned to Darn Tough for replacement credit. They’re a neat brand-made in the USA and under a lifetime warranty, which helps me get past the initial high price tag. I wear wool socks 6-9 months if the year and these wear really well. I think these pairs with holes are almost 6 years old now & I’ve just walked through them.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5548 on: December 31, 2021, 08:10:11 AM »
Thanks @slackmax ! You're not doing too badly either.

Tallied up my purchases of incoming stuff and items decluttered for the year (I keep a running total) and I have a net outgoing of over 900 things (100 purchases, 1000 items decluttered).

Next year will be an even lower-buy year as I am planning on staying out of op shops, reading my own/library books, volunteering in my local community,  having more board game sessions with friends and more time at the beach.

And looking forward to helping both my kids move out ( but only in the decluttering sense, I will miss them terribly).

wow, that's impressive! 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5549 on: January 02, 2022, 05:29:57 AM »
I did a sort out if the office closet.  Now our blue bin is full. It feels great to open that puppy up and put something away in the place it belongs with ease.