Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1254352 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5450 on: September 26, 2021, 11:50:18 AM »
@Prairie Gal if the paper jams, then it was likely not worth repairing and so recycling was probably the best call.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5451 on: September 29, 2021, 08:07:13 AM »
 - When we bought our home this spring, we inherited a lot of stuff the previous owners just didn't want to move. Some of it was AWFUL (hello, giant L shaped desk that took up half our garage and prevented us from parking our car there until we could give it away) but some of it was lovely - including three very "us" MCM chairs. However, after almost six months in the house, we recognized we don't *need* the chairs. They're just taking up space, and other seating is a better fit for us right now. So we kept one for DH's office and I threw the other two up for $10 for the pair - it wasn't about making money, it was about getting rid of them. So now they're gone and our living room looks so much nicer!

- Friday is bulk trash PU and I already have a pile ready to go! (a long coffee table in such bad shape I can't give it away, a circular saw that has fritzed out, some other odds and ends from the previous owners that are in too rough shape to sell/give away, etc.)

- We're working really hard to rein in our food waste and eat down our cupboards. We made ratatouille for dinner last night to clear out our veggie drawer and I'll be eating leftovers for lunch today; I'll also be using the tomatoes and onions that didn't make it into that dish to make a pico de gallo for dinner tonight. We also had an old batch of cookie mix that came from World Market that DS1 and I baked to give us sweets and clear out a drawer. They were... fine. They'll be the kids post-dinner treats for the rest of the week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5452 on: September 29, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
I've sold a few things on eBay this week, so it's been great to get them out of the house: two pair of shoes & a set of fancy collar stays. The collar stays & one pair of shoes were reasonably pricey, so it was nice to clean out the closet & make a bit of money.

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #5453 on: September 30, 2021, 09:02:21 PM »
I found a local second hand store that will take my wedding dress; they have a program/ministry in Haiti, so it will end up over there at some point. I just need to double check to make sure it's in reasonable condition. That will be the goal for next week.

A set of ski boots just recently sold on EBAY. Listed for forever. I cleared $40 after shipping and fees. At least they (and the box they were living in) are out of the house.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5454 on: October 01, 2021, 04:45:45 AM »
It's 1 October so I'm starting the minimalist game (with adaptations)

Today we had two boxes of returnable drinks containers picked up for a charity drive*. They set the date for their pickups so it was just a happy coincidence that it was 1 Oct. Our machines where you can return containers and get 10c each were shut for a few months so I had two big boxes taking up space. The service allows you to set a regular pickup so now I need to actually make a designated space for a large box in the garage rather than have them sit on the workbench. If I do the garden edging project I've been planning then that will use up a pile of odd profile timber that I've been saving and free up some space.

Anyway I'm counting the two boxes as two things, already ahead in the game, ha.

*NSW Aussies, it's a business called ReCollect. You can get your cans picked up and choose a charity for the $$. Mine was a local school / bush regen thing.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5455 on: October 02, 2021, 08:25:25 PM »
Donated a big suitcase this morning.   Nothing wrong with it, but we aren't travelling as much now and we still have other ones we like better.  It was nice to get that out of the closet and make room for things we do want to keep.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5456 on: October 02, 2021, 09:10:34 PM »
One of our cups broke in the dishwasher so I guess that's one less item in the house.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5457 on: October 02, 2021, 10:25:48 PM »
Donated a big suitcase this morning.   Nothing wrong with it, but we aren't travelling as much now and we still have other ones we like better.  It was nice to get that out of the closet and make room for things we do want to keep.

Well done, that sort of thing is quite hard to get rid of I think.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5458 on: October 02, 2021, 10:31:42 PM »
I'm doing ok with the minimalism game, still on the low hanging fruit though. Jars that had been kept for storage but I know we won't use, and plastic spool and spray oil can that had been hanging around because I wasn't sure they could go in the recycling (they can).

I've decided to add another element. I'll also delete the same number of emails each day. I read a headline somewhere saying that you can decrease your environmental footprint by deleting emails that are being stored pointlessly. Didn't ever read the article but it makes sense!

Also, in excellent news, Mr F wants to organise his garage *flexes knuckles and stretches* My eyes lit up so much you could probably see them from over there in the US.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5459 on: October 03, 2021, 07:58:38 AM »
@Fresh Bread - if my husband ever offered up cleaning/organizing the garage, I would be ecstatic.

I finally listed a few things on Buy Nothing, & gave them away: a bunch of unused hair accessories (took them out of my sister's house when she was decluttering), a new running hat that was a work gift, a huge amount of ear plugs that are too small for me.

I also gave away a zucchini we were unlikely to eat. My friend traded me for apples from her garden.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5460 on: October 07, 2021, 08:18:56 PM »
Got what I hope are the last excess kitchen items donated this morning.  Next up are the closets.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5461 on: October 07, 2021, 08:34:11 PM »
One of my shirts suddenly had complete fiber failure in multiple places. As in, it was fine all day and then, while reading a book, 4-5 large holes opened up across the stomach area and along the hemline. Since it was a stalwart of my summer wardrobe (silk-cotton voile! flattering shape and colours that went with 95% of my wardrobe!) I am saddened but not surprised. I got it secondhand and literally wore it to death.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5462 on: October 07, 2021, 09:17:33 PM »
-Gave away two boxes of cake mix & a container of frosting. No idea why I bought them, but we're not going to use them. The food banks don't take food close to expiration here, so Buy Nothing it is.
-Listed a few more Buy Nothing items
-Cleaned up a pair of football cleats that I somehow ended up with. Listed them on eBay. Decided the baseball cleats were beyond repair, and couldn't get any takers on Buy Nothing. Have put them aside for shoe recycling at our local athletic store. My son has a pair of soccer cleats that are beyond saving, so those are also in the shoe recycling pile.
-Donated a laptop bag
-Tossed a bunch of broken crayons

And, in ever so exciting news, I cleaned out our files one of the first weeks of the pandemic. I need a giant shredder, and put the papers aside for my return to the office (in, what I thought would be April of 2020). The papers have been sitting in my closet since then. I'm heading back for a quick office trip in a few weeks, and I will dump the papers in the giant corporate shredder. Hurrah!

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5463 on: October 08, 2021, 07:49:43 AM »
Sold a bunch of kids clothes through our local FB Marketplace. The lady who bought it thought she had a bargain and I was happy to have the stuff out of the house. Another 20 EUR in the kids' travel savings account (the kids are saving for a trip to China (whenever Covid is allowing us in again)!).

Only 3 more piles (I pile them by size) to go for DD clothes, but I first need to photograph them and put them on FB Marketplace. All clothes from DS are on there as well, but one way or the other boys'  clothes take longer to sell...... If not sold in 2 months, it will go to charity.

Went through my fake-jewelry stash and found 4 necklaces which I did not wear in years. Out they go!

Now I have to go through my own closet and toss any item that I did not wear this summer (because.... why would I wear it next summer......). Here's to hoping this will inspire DH to go through his closet as well....... he likes to keep clothes for garden work / DIY projects, but hey.... how many clothes to you need for this????

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5464 on: October 08, 2021, 08:04:23 AM »
Sold a bunch of kids clothes through our local FB Marketplace. The lady who bought it thought she had a bargain and I was happy to have the stuff out of the house. Another 20 EUR in the kids' travel savings account (the kids are saving for a trip to China (whenever Covid is allowing us in again)!).

Only 3 more piles (I pile them by size) to go for DD clothes, but I first need to photograph them and put them on FB Marketplace. All clothes from DS are on there as well, but one way or the other boys'  clothes take longer to sell...... If not sold in 2 months, it will go to charity.

Went through my fake-jewelry stash and found 4 necklaces which I did not wear in years. Out they go!

Now I have to go through my own closet and toss any item that I did not wear this summer (because.... why would I wear it next summer......). Here's to hoping this will inspire DH to go through his closet as well....... he likes to keep clothes for garden work / DIY projects, but hey.... how many clothes to you need for this????

Made myself devote a half hour to going through the 'sell at flea market' stash. I have been putting it off. Threw out a lot of small stuff, filled up half a bag to donate.

Looked through my boxes of greeting cards for a birthday card. While there, found some costume jewelry and some real sterling. Added the costume jewelry to my bag-o-jewelry for flea market. I can get $1 to $5 each for costume stuff, depending how pretty or interesting it is.  After fish oil, jewelry is the easiest stuff to sell. 

Taking the sterling to some local jewelry stores to get appraised.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5465 on: October 14, 2021, 07:51:31 AM »
While looking through my big stash of paperwork stored in stacked up manila  folders, looking for a specific item of information, I came across some old college paperwork, about 10 pounds of it, all technical stuff.

I had been keeping it for sentimental reasons, but partly out of disgust with all the clutter, I felt good about recycling it. I put it in the recycling bag for next pickup.

One cubic foot less clutter!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5466 on: October 14, 2021, 04:42:45 PM »
Well done @slackmax !

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5467 on: October 15, 2021, 01:25:49 AM »
Had the kids go through their pile of board games. About 10 came out and are on FB Marketplace. 7 are about to be sold (I only count them as sold if they are picked up).
Gave away some other toys and board games on the Buy Nothing group. Remaining board games now nicely fit in the cupboard, no more falling out when opening the cupboard! Next thing on the list is the crafts section of the same cupboard, but I was already proud of the kids for decluttering the board games. Next week is half-term break, so they will have time to go through the crafts section and their rooms...... let's see if they can declutter some more......

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5468 on: October 15, 2021, 10:11:57 AM »
Instead of purchasing travel seats to fly to a wedding this weekend, we borrowed travel seats from parents in a social media parenting group. I returned them (with a small gift card as a thank you) earlier this week - two large items out of the house! (And no new items purchased for airplane travel, which I hope to avoid for another few years - traveling with kids is HARD.)

We're getting ready to start the big summer purge of kids clothes for our youngest and pass on what won't fit next summer to others.

I'm tackling our basement storage this weekend, which I've been ignoring since we moved in six months ago and I said "Oh, I'll go through that and organize it soon!"

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5469 on: October 15, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »
We just moved, and I donated several bags of things before moving, but as I unpack I'm finding more things to donate - clothes my kids have outgrown, my own clothes that I never wear, etc. I've already filled a box of donations.

Now that my kids' books are all stored in one place, I can see that they have way too many, especially given that they probably read more digital books than physical ones, and we also regularly go to the library. But I find it really hard to get rid of kids books. I think part of it is that I'm attached to my memories of reading certain books to/with them.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5470 on: October 18, 2021, 08:16:33 AM »
I have 5 bags of stuff to be dropped off in the trunk of the car. Mostly clothes, but a few other random things.

Edit: and dropped off on the way home from work today.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:48:52 PM by Sibley »

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5471 on: October 18, 2021, 08:21:19 AM »
Got my adult son to go through his closet and he found 5 pair of shoes to give to the homeless shelter.
Apparently the shelter is in dire need of men's clothes, jackets and shoes.   I bought a package of new men's socks to go with it, so I'll be donating all of that today.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5472 on: October 19, 2021, 11:31:01 AM »
My CU had a e-cycle and shredding event over the weekend. Cars were lined almost around the block for the shredding but I was able to get in and out after dropping of the following electronics --

1 large flat screen TV with remote
1 computer drive
1 old dead flip phone
1 old dial-up box from the phone company which has been cancelled for over a year.

It feels so nice to get them out of the house.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5473 on: October 19, 2021, 04:34:18 PM »
Realized I didn't wear the shorts and t-shirt style pajamas all summer, only nightgowns. Now I have enough things to fill a bag and justify a trip to the charity shop.

The oddest thing going to the shop this time is a grill: a set of fake teeth made of fake gold and diamonds.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5474 on: October 20, 2021, 04:08:23 AM »
I unsubscribed from a dozen emails and deleted a bunch of crappola. 

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5475 on: October 21, 2021, 12:20:23 AM »
Kids crafts section of the cupboard got decluttered!!!! YAY!!!!!
Items that they did not want/need anymore were trashed, donated or sold on the same day. All out of the house!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5476 on: October 23, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
Sold a hand-pumped portable espresso maker which was a not-used gift (received $150 for it!) .. which inspired more decluttering. I took nine items to a local consignment store and filled up a small box of donations. I just read Goodbye Things..a Japanese book about minimalism (the author is a young single man so his level of extreme minimalism is not desirable to me but it helped remind me to have a looser grip on my ‘stuff’

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5477 on: October 23, 2021, 12:40:07 PM »
One of our cups broke in the dishwasher so I guess that's one less item in the house.

Haha! Great minds and all that. I dropped a cup while unloading the dishwasher and thought, well that's one way to de-clutter the cups.

I have been working from home for most of the pandemic and I am retiring, so a bunch of work related crap went back to the office. I also arranged to give away a table that I had in there for stacking work files on to a family member, but they haven't picked it up yet. Feels so good to de-clutter that room and re-claim it as my own!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:46:26 PM by Prairie Gal »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5478 on: October 25, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »
It's finally rainy again, and my son tried on his pants, and has outgrown them. (He's 14, so I suppose this is expected). I listed three pair on Buy Nothing, and had a taker in an hour. I have ordered other pants for him to wear, but at least we will have no more than we started with. The 15 year old is now taller than his dad, so I'm a little afraid for him to try on his pants.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5479 on: October 25, 2021, 02:49:46 PM »
Had a good weekend:
Gave away a big box of Play-Doh accessoires that I found while decluttering. Also some other toys were happily taken on the Buy Nothing group.
Stuffed a box full of clothes for donation and trashed old shoes. Decided on some books to go into the little free library. So satisfying to have this done.
Now I wish to keep this decluttering-flow going. Even my SO helped by driving a car load of stuff to recycling.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5480 on: October 27, 2021, 06:37:52 PM »
- A bag of kids books given away on my Buy Nothing Group.
- A bag of kids clothes given away on my Buy Nothing Group.
- A pile of clothes that are in horrible shape/incredibly worn to go to textile recycling.

Also:
- My work inbox is down to three emails. (THIS IS HUGE!)

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #5481 on: October 28, 2021, 09:13:19 AM »
Threw away a few boxes of tea that I'd had in my office before covid. They all expired in 2020 and didn't smell right anymore.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5482 on: October 28, 2021, 10:59:44 AM »
Threw away a few boxes of tea that I'd had in my office before covid. They all expired in 2020 and didn't smell right anymore.

Uh oh, I should go check expiry dates.  I suspect I also have some tea that has aged out.

Not to mention I should probably give all my herbs and spices a sniff test.  It's not so much that they go bad as that they loose flavour.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5483 on: October 28, 2021, 01:37:31 PM »
Only tiny wins this week
- We've been consciously using up some of our Less Favourite Teas and that got rid of 3 boxes worth in our tea cupboard. We are close to having an entirely reasonable stash only containing teas we really enjoy.
- 3 books off to the street library and 1 to a friend.

I'm getting to the point of accepting that there won't be a big council clean-up this year so maybe we put the dead tv etc in the car and take it around the corner to the e-cycling centre. (Like, it's literally diagonally across the block from us.) While this just declutters basement rooms that we never go in, it would be nice to take that off the list.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5484 on: October 28, 2021, 08:25:44 PM »

Uh oh, I should go check expiry dates.  I suspect I also have some tea that has aged out.

Not to mention I should probably give all my herbs and spices a sniff test.  It's not so much that they go bad as that they loose flavour.

I have a lot of expired boxes of regular and herbal tea. I'll have to start drinking tea more often. I'm actually a coffee person, though. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5485 on: October 28, 2021, 08:39:51 PM »

I have a lot of expired boxes of regular and herbal tea. I'll have to start drinking tea more often. I'm actually a coffee person, though.

If they've gotten moldy - NO. If they're not moldy, don't drink bad tea, that's just being mean to yourself. Compost it. And obviously don't get new tea you won't drink in future.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5486 on: October 29, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »
Ummmm.  Is 3 or 4 years in a closed jar for teabags considered 'old' tea?  Asking for a friend...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5487 on: October 30, 2021, 03:03:58 PM »
The pool table is finally out of parent's basement. Apparently a lot of people don't know how heavy pool tables are thus don't come prepared. Even when warned that the people in the house are not able to assist in anyway. But it's gone.

Various other things have left their house - the half height window shutters are gone, the bifold door is gone, misc leftover tile is gone. Dad and I returned various things to the store today, including the 4 8ft metal posts that were not needed for the fence. Once the fence is done (tomorrow? was wet today) there will be a few more things to go back probably.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5488 on: October 30, 2021, 04:06:01 PM »
Ummmm.  Is 3 or 4 years in a closed jar for teabags considered 'old' tea?  Asking for a friend...

Mmmmm, probably, but if it’s regular tea, the tannic acid in it has likely kept it from spoiling.  If it smells okay, I would still use it - it just might have lost some of it’s strength, so you might need more.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5489 on: November 03, 2021, 06:52:53 PM »
I wasn't able to put my recycling out this cycle, so I drove over to the recycling place and dumped 5 pounds of old unsellable technical manuals myself, just to get rid of it.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5490 on: November 05, 2021, 03:27:33 AM »
Selling outgrown clothes of the kids on FB marketplace. Money gets donated to the children's travel account. One way or the other, girls clothes sell better than boys clothes.....
Found some baby clothes in a box. Will be donated to a local lady who supports single (teen) mothers.
Have a full box of children's books which have to find their way to the free little libraries in the neighbourhood. A good way to get some exercise! Maybe I can add a few small items to be re-used to those libraries as well (I sometimes see little non-book items in there).

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5491 on: November 05, 2021, 03:29:56 AM »

Depending on the tea quality. I'm currently drinking 3 year old loose leaf tea which was in a vacuum until a week ago. Since it was in a vacuum and it is loose leaf tea (not the crushed small pieces), the tea is still good. But tea bags with only crushed small pieces....... I would not drink it (but hey, I'm a tea person.....).

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5492 on: November 05, 2021, 05:36:17 AM »
Just thought I would mention that in my area, Vietnam Veterans organization will come directly to your house and pick up items. They will not take large furniture and some electronics. If you go to their website, you will find a list of what they don't take. I think you can make an appointment for them to pick up your stuff on line or by phone. You need to label your bags Vietnam Veterans of America or VVA. You can just leave the labeled bags in a designated spot like garage door, back door, front door and they will pick them up. I have done this many times and it has worked out perfectly and I didn't have to leave my house! They will take small furniture. It has to be small enough that one person can handle it easily. I don't think they send out two people, only one person to do pick ups.

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #5493 on: November 08, 2021, 06:21:16 PM »
We moved a few months ago and this weekend I implemented a new rule in my slowly getting organized garage. If I trip over it, it falls on me, or otherwise pisses me off, it is gone. Either in donate pile or trash. Several shelf brackets and a dozen small, empty parts bins are no longer with me after they misbehaved while I was putting the bikes away. And an extension ladder is on double secret probation right now.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5494 on: November 09, 2021, 01:26:35 AM »
One big box of clothes finally got out of the house to the donation location!
Sold some more clothes and a board game on Craigslist.

Hope to get some more decluttering done later today after work.....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5495 on: November 18, 2021, 09:25:45 AM »
It's been awhile since I've joined in, which is a sign I haven't made much progress lately. I did add two workout tanks to the donation pile today, as my drawer is getting too cluttered, and these are items I won't wear.

I also organized my "seasonal clothing" drawer, moving the winter stuff to the front, and tucking the bathing suits & shorts towards the back. It looks tidier, and will remind me to use my sweaters.

I'm also making a lot of progress organizing & then "getting rid of" (by eating) our freezer items. The freezer is looking so much more organized!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5496 on: November 18, 2021, 06:24:08 PM »
Not a lot of progress here lately either. I did donate my old crockpot and "adopted" one from my basement that my Dad had stored there for years. I am also donating an old winter coat to a lady in need. Just need to wash it first.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5497 on: November 19, 2021, 08:23:52 PM »
My old 25 inch tube TV finally stopped working.

So far I found a place that will take it for 70 cents a pound, no extra fees. It weighs at least 25 pounds, maybe 30. If it's 30 pounds, that would be $21.

A municipal recycling place will take it for $40. Too high, of course.

Going to keep looking.

It is a great candidate for decluttering. Big, unusable, and unsellable. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5498 on: November 19, 2021, 09:26:15 PM »
I wish governments would figure out that if you make it hard to get rid of something properly, then people are just going to get rid of it the easy way. Your example is the tv. Mine is the old smoke detectors. Even haz waste wouldn't take them.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5499 on: November 19, 2021, 11:00:43 PM »
We finally took the bag of donations to a charity bin and at the last moment I added a nice black leather backpack that I had bought for work but always used something else. So that's another corner clear.