Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1253920 times)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #5050 on: May 03, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »
Sold a lot of small items, and a few big ones at the flea market yesterday. Notable was one foot tall box of 'card stock' paper, 8 x 11.5 inches.  Only got $2 for it, but better than nothing, lol. And out of the house.  More to follow.

Also, decided I will allow myself to donate a bulky cloth wall decoration that didn't sell.

Yay! I know that card stock had been hard to find a home for. Is it all gone now?

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5051 on: May 03, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
Sold a lot of small items, and a few big ones at the flea market yesterday. Notable was one foot tall box of 'card stock' paper, 8 x 11.5 inches.  Only got $2 for it, but better than nothing, lol. And out of the house.  More to follow.

Also, decided I will allow myself to donate a bulky cloth wall decoration that didn't sell.

Yay! I know that card stock had been hard to find a home for. Is it all gone now?

Thanks, Oneday. I still have a 5 foot stack of it! I know everyone will tell me to just recycle it, or give it away, but I now have hope of selling it.

It may be a matter of packaging. I had this batch in a nice box made just for 8 x 11 paper. I will look around for more of those types of boxes in my house. Where are the empty 8 by 11 boxes when you need them lol! Oh no, I recycled them years ago, lol !! 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5052 on: May 04, 2021, 05:39:13 PM »
A non-non-stick skillet went straight to the trash. It used to be non-stick, but started being decidedly sticky while I was batch cooking. As soon as the last meal came out of it and it had cooled off, straight into the bin it went. I have two cast-iron pans that will do for now.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5053 on: May 04, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »
-Had enough DVDs, books & added an old iPod to finish a Decluttr sale. Got 32 items out of the house. Already mailed & out.
-There were 15 or so DVDs that Decluttr wouldn't accept, so followed up with someone on Buy Nothing who picked up my old CDs & had asked about DVDs. She picked those up this afternoon, so also out of my life.
-Listed two pair of jeans & two tank tops on eBay (brought them back from our vacation house that we're emptying)
-Listed nine books on eBay (combo of from vacation house, & off of a freebie pile)
-Next door neighbor offered us free groceries on her way out of town. We will use all of it, minus the gorgeous loaf of bakery bread. We're not big bread eaters. Tracked down another neighbor who was thrilled with it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5054 on: May 04, 2021, 09:19:20 PM »
Executed phased 2 of the cleanout of the kitchen closet. I did phase 1 last year, which decluttered a lot, but there was still more. Took everything off the bottom, threw some out, recycled some, moved some to better places for it in the house for it. Thoroughly cleaned the layer of grime off the floor there, put the remaining stuff back in. Satisfying. More space there now.

Also, photographed all the engines, cars, tracks, etc of an old Tyco HO model train set. Spent an hour and a half researching the pricing for these things on Ebay (huge variation in asking price for each single piece, as usual, lol).   Will post it on Craigslist tomorrow, with nice low price, see what happens.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:24:58 PM by slackmax »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5055 on: May 05, 2021, 05:34:05 AM »
Finally tossed out 2 random vacuum cleaner bits form a former vacuum cleaner life.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5056 on: May 05, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »
This has been a long time coming, and it may not last. But I got to inbox zero in my physical paper pile! WOO HOO!!!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5057 on: May 05, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »
Congrats to @slackmax and @oneday for those big wins!

Finally put a yoga mat bag in the donation pile. I have a strap I like better if I do need to carry it. Or just, you know, carry it in my hand :)

Used a big piece of fun paper I'd been saving to wrap a Mother's Day gift.

Another half box of produce to a friend from a delivery service. There's an item in this order that I'm allergic to and there was no way to delete it. All of the fruit & veg come loose in the box, so things I can't wash thoroughly are going to a friend who will use it. Otherwise they're getting decluttered into my belly!

Taking dog food and treats that don't agree with my dog to my parent's dog, who is young and can eat anything. That will get a big plastic container and a bag out of my pantry.

Tossed the dish brush.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5058 on: May 06, 2021, 03:05:20 AM »
Thought I was done for a while, but you've pulled me back in!

This is another big one for me: I decided to let go all of my beautiful FLOW magazines. (For those who haven't had the pleasure, it is a Dutch-produced bi monthly magazine - in English - for paper lovers and has amazing articles and minimal ads). I'd collected nearly every one over the past 8 years, and was planning on keeping them forever. However, they had been sitting on my bookshelf, unlooked at for a long time, so I decided to go through every one, at my leisure, and give myself permission to rip out all the best articles/pictures and pass on the mags. Offered them to my darling next door neighbours - one of whom is Dutch - and they are LOVING them. So that is 40+ magazines gone, and 2 shelves free on my craft bookshelf. They keep texting me to tell me of their favourite articles. It made me so very happy. So my new decluttering question is now "Will this make someone else happier than it makes me?"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:29:44 AM by lazycow »

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #5059 on: May 06, 2021, 03:49:35 AM »
. So my new decluttering question is now "Will this make someone else happier than it makes me?"

That is such a meaningful sentiment to me. Thinking about how our things can have life beyond us is a gift we can give ourselves, our neighbors, and our planet. It is why I’m increasingly involved in the local buy nothing group in my neighborhood too. It feels good to know you are giving someone else something that was meaningful to you.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5060 on: May 06, 2021, 04:09:08 PM »
@lazycow That is a wonderful question to ask!

@okisok thanks! As predicted, it didn't last past getting the mail! But I did my deal-with-one-paper-a-day thing today and it will at least stay in control.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5061 on: May 06, 2021, 05:30:02 PM »

@okisok thanks! As predicted, it didn't last past getting the mail! But I did my deal-with-one-paper-a-day thing today and it will at least stay in control.

What is it you are getting? Can you switch to estatememts and ebills? And cancel circulars? 

I rarely get mail. I get a vehicle registration papers once a year, my local area parking stickers and quarterly business bank statements (as annoyingly they can't do estatememts for business accounts??) And maybe 3 Xmas cards, lol.  Mr F gets a few charity donation letters & the waste of money & paper (not to mention "gifts" they send) is infuriating and makes us *not* want to donate.

Everything else goes straight in the bin as it's junk, even though I've got a sign requesting no junk. Conveniently most companies have stopped sending paper mail without me needing to cancel, I wish charities would follow suit.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5062 on: May 06, 2021, 08:45:59 PM »

Everything else goes straight in the bin as it's junk, even though I've got a sign requesting no junk. Conveniently most companies have stopped sending paper mail without me needing to cancel, I wish charities would follow suit.

My charities email me.  They even email me my charitable donation tax receipts.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5063 on: May 06, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »

What is it you are getting? Can you switch to estatememts and ebills? And cancel circulars? 

I rarely get mail. I get a vehicle registration papers once a year, my local area parking stickers and quarterly business bank statements (as annoyingly they can't do estatememts for business accounts??) And maybe 3 Xmas cards, lol.  Mr F gets a few charity donation letters & the waste of money & paper (not to mention "gifts" they send) is infuriating and makes us *not* want to donate.

I got a coupon from a store I have a credit card with, and that went into the Time Will Tell place. It will get recycled if I don't use it, but it might be handy as I need to replace sheets soon.

And I got a newsletter from the Parks District I joined for the first time in January. It was actually pretty easy to go through and discard, but since it was the first time I'd seen one of those, I wanted to check it out.

And I also got a page of checks from the bank, because my payroll dept requires something printed from the bank to start direct deposit. But the one check I needed is in the mail to payroll and the rest are in The Filing Place.

I'm actually back to Inbox Zero as of this evening. Which will last for a while, but if my life gets stressful, that's probably something that will get less attention.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5064 on: May 06, 2021, 11:06:32 PM »

When I got paper letters from charities asking for a donation I emailed them and told that while I wish to support them with donations from time to time, I don’t wish to receive any information from them. They have put a block on my profile and I haven’t received anything thereafter.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5065 on: May 07, 2021, 12:11:51 AM »

When I got paper letters from charities asking for a donation I emailed them and told that while I wish to support them with donations from time to time, I don’t wish to receive any information from them. They have put a block on my profile and I haven’t received anything thereafter.

We haven't managed to switch off the tap yet. Next step is threatening no donations if they don't stop! I'm fed up with the tat they send with the request for money (this is from charities where we've donated but don't have a regular commitment so they keep trying).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5066 on: May 07, 2021, 08:07:42 AM »
-Sold a board game on eBay
-Had the kids try on swim gear & found some stuff to donate/sell. Made a list of what we will need for an upcoming vacation. The good news is that 1/2 of the swim stuff still fits, so we only need a few items

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5067 on: May 07, 2021, 12:39:45 PM »
I gave myself the month of April off of de-cluttering as it is the busy season at work, so today I took a bunch of pictures of things I have been meaning to try to sell, and listed about half on FB Marketplace. Will get the rest up soon. I find if I have too many listings up at once I get overwhelmed and confused with all of the dealings. It feels good to get things moving out the door again.

Also put a couple of books in the donation box. One was a duplicate - oops!

Almost all of those items sold, so today I am listing a few more. All of the money is going to my vacation fund, so it is a bit of added incentive.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5068 on: May 07, 2021, 07:53:23 PM »
Took a car load of parent's stuff to the storage unit tonight. Much better than it sitting in my living room!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5069 on: May 07, 2021, 08:11:51 PM »
Was recently reminded that thrift stores take plastic shopping bags. Adding the stash of those that has accumulated from curbside pickup to the few stragglers that are in the donation pile made a trip feel worthwhile, so got 2 bags of bags, a plastic carpet runner, a knick knack and some gift wrap it of the house. Woo!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5070 on: May 07, 2021, 09:29:28 PM »

I do something similar. When I get paper mail I don't want with a return envelope, I mail it back with a note asking to have my name and address removed from their mailing lists. It's gradually working. When I get paper statements I try to immediately log in to the website and change my preferences to paperless.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5071 on: May 07, 2021, 10:32:09 PM »
Was recently reminded that thrift stores take plastic shopping bags. Adding the stash of those that has accumulated from curbside pickup to the few stragglers that are in the donation pile made a trip feel worthwhile, so got 2 bags of bags, a plastic carpet runner, a knick knack and some gift wrap it of the house. Woo!

Oh, good idea. I have a huge bag of bags for the same reason. It will be good to get back to in-person shopping after I get my second vaccine.

I've got some other stuff to drop off, so I'll do that soon.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5072 on: May 09, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
Sold a dozen smallish items at the flea market, and identified 5 moderate sized items for donating, since they haven't sold for so long, and had fun in the process!   

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5073 on: May 09, 2021, 03:20:13 PM »
I sold my Kayak today.  I’m moving soon.  My new town really needs an open water Kayak vs. what was my flat water Kayak so it didn’t make sense to try to keep it.  I’m sad because I had about 4 months before my move, but selling now is selling at the beginning of the season. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5074 on: May 09, 2021, 03:23:28 PM »
In theory someone is coming by to pick up my no-longer-needed foam mattress topper. Communication has been lacking so far, so I'm not holding my breath. There is a 2nd person who expressed interest, so if the first one flakes I'll just go to the 2nd.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5075 on: May 09, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »
Today will be a mini mission to return a book to the street library, pick up a book from the library-library, pick up my refurbished winter coat and turn a medium pile of small coins into bank credit.

Dutch Comfort

• Bristles
« Reply #5076 on: May 10, 2021, 12:46:23 AM »
Decluttered a little this weekend:
- 1 computer screen on BuyNothing - picked up immediately
- 1 big bag with bed sheets returned to FIL since it did not fit what we planned to do with it, so return to sender!
- 1 blu ray player in the hallway for Craigslist sale today, hope they show up!
- 1 book to the little free library down the street

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5077 on: May 10, 2021, 07:15:21 PM »
Decided to rip the bandaid off. Due to covid times, job change, and general work attire shifts, I had a bunch of suits and dresses that I no longer wear. I kept 1 suit, the few dresses that I like and wear outside of work, and pulled the rest for donation. Also pulled a rain coat that I never liked and a stretchy athletic type jacket that a friend gave me and I just don't like. That's 2 kitchen trash bags full of stuff for donation.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5078 on: May 11, 2021, 12:07:40 PM »
Worked on the top shelf of a closet for an hour and a half. Consolidated some, threw out some, took some to textiles recycling, moved some to 'sell' pile, researched some old retro vintage board games I found up there, took some to Salvation Army.

From the  IT hoard, I sacrificed a hard copy of a COBOL II program from 1994 to the recycling container.  Oh no, that was worth big money on EBAY, right?  lol.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5079 on: May 11, 2021, 02:36:05 PM »
A few updates:
-Listed a bunch of stuff on Buy Nothing. Already have one set of drapes out of the house.
-My husband also took a giant donation drop off on Sunday, which was glorious.
-Sold a few things on eBay, including a pair of workout pants I brought back from our vacation house, as part of pre-move clean out.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5080 on: May 11, 2021, 02:43:12 PM »
Cleaned under the bathroom sink and threw away several contact lens cases ( I got lasiks), an extra blood sugar meter, a bunch of other little things.
Still trying to sell on Facebook a bike, an inversion table, and a stand that converts a regular bike into a stationary bike.
Have 3 bags of stuff to go to goodwill.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5081 on: May 13, 2021, 01:50:06 PM »
A quick post before I get caught up on everyone's posts.

~4 magazines went to a neighbor, 1 to my sister
~Other completed reading material either went into the recycle bin or put away (books)
~6 pieces of clothing, and a bag of unopened toiletries and makeup went to Goodwill
~3 old hygiene items were tossed
~Dug through the small pile on my home office desk and put a stack of paper into the burn bin

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5082 on: May 13, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
It's been a busy week, to not as much progress as I'd like, but a few wins:

-Teenage son asked me to list sunglasses he received as a gift. Listed & sold the same day. Mailed out using recycled mailing packaging.
-Sold a Christmas gift that was too small (finally, has been listed since the holidays)
-And, a workout shirt that doesn't fit my husband

I also went through the kids rooms & found 8+ camp tshirts, PE gear (one is graduating from middle school in a few weeks, and PE gear is not required during COVID).

I was on the hunt for a missing shirt for one kid, and looked in my husband's drawers to see if it was misplaced. Nope, but did find a bunch of stuff he doesn't wear/use. Some is off to be donated, and I found a new in package designer Italian scarf to sell on eBay. Where in the world did he get this/why did he buy it? It pre dates me, so I'm going with gift from a woman before I was in the picture. ;-)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5083 on: May 13, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
A few weeks ago I went through my framed artwork, and took out the cheapest plastic frames to get rid of (kept the artwork since it was all stuff I made).  Today I took the frames (14) to the Goodwill donation center.  Part of me wanted to try to sell them (some $ is better than no $), but I never could get up the gumption to meet up with people, so donate was the way to go.

I still have a lot of frames, and while they still should be pared down, I'm willing to let that go for a while (probably until the next time I move).

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5084 on: May 13, 2021, 04:04:40 PM »
- traded in 660 small denomination coins for $79 in my banking acct.
- 1 library book returned
- 3 books into the street library

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5085 on: May 13, 2021, 04:33:05 PM »
Gave a friend a beautiful dress that has always been a size too big for me, but I've not loved enough to get tailored to fit properly.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5086 on: May 13, 2021, 07:03:25 PM »
Sold a camera bag for $50.

Next up is try to sell an old camera. Not sure if it will sell as they upgrade the models on digital cameras every year or so now.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5087 on: May 15, 2021, 05:36:42 AM »
We finally cleared out the garage last weekend, and I dropped a load at the thrift store.

Things I cleaned out:
-old bike helmets that we held onto as backups in case some neighborhood kid needed one, at this point they are quite old
-a few project leftovers that needed to be cut down to fit in the trash
-a few clothing items
-if can't remember what else

We still need to figure out how to dispose of our broken dehumidifier. I think I have to drive it to the county recycling center. I tried giving it away to someone who wants to fix it, but no takers.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5088 on: May 15, 2021, 03:58:00 PM »
I was so close to emptying out my car at the thrift shop today but there was a traffic accident at the intersection so I diverted. We’ll try again Monday. The same thrift shop now has eyebrow threading in a kiosk so I’m keen to try it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5089 on: May 15, 2021, 04:41:17 PM »
Pretty productive weekend selling things from our storage room under the stairs like a mulcher and heater. I'd forgotten that this area still needed a declutter! Disappointed that it actually doesn't feel like there's more space but there's less tetris going on so it's easier to access garden tools. I call myself a minimalist but I'm really not when you look at the garden & garage spaces!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5090 on: May 15, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »
Thanks to the parent's move, I ended up with an extra twin size mattress protector. Changed sheets on the beds today, and took the opportunity to put the better quality one on the twin. The extra is in the wash and then will be added to donation pile.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5091 on: May 15, 2021, 07:21:14 PM »
Thanks to the parent's move, I ended up with an extra twin size mattress protector. Changed sheets on the beds today, and took the opportunity to put the better quality one on the twin. The extra is in the wash and then will be added to donation pile.

I use mattress protectors as waterproof-ish pet mats, by cutting off the skirt bit. Handy for the car, beds etc.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5092 on: May 15, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
Sold a camera bag for $50.

Next up is try to sell an old camera. Not sure if it will sell as they upgrade the models on digital cameras every year or so now.

The person came and picked up the camera bag today, and I sold a pair of canvas prints for $20. I also listed the camera, but I am not too confident that it will sell. If not, I might see if I can donate it to the high school or something. Even a charitable receipt would be better than nothing.

A weird thing happened when I was trying to list it on FB Marketplace. They wanted me to upgrade the listing for money. I had seen that one other time, but today it wouldn't let me go any further, so I had to exit. I wonder if it was because I used the word Canon?

FinanceFreaky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Time in the market beats timing the market 🚀
« Reply #5093 on: May 16, 2021, 03:23:18 AM »
Nice topic!

I had an iMac and a MacBook Pro. Sold my iMac last week for 800 euros and bought index funds for it :).

I'm decluttering already since 5 years. So funny that in every round you can get rid of stuff you wanted to keep before.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5094 on: May 16, 2021, 07:49:36 AM »

I use mattress protectors as waterproof-ish pet mats, by cutting off the skirt bit. Handy for the car, beds etc.

I will probably offer it to the animal shelter. My cat prefers fleece.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5095 on: May 16, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »
-Gave away two workout shirts on Buy Nothing, as well as a set of five items of youth clothes my kids have outgrown
-Sold a book, and a shoe dust cover on eBay
-Resisted picking up a bunch of free books on Buy Nothing, as I have a closet full of stuff still to read

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5096 on: May 16, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
@FinanceFreaky that's so great! And way to go on investing the $$!!

Went through the art/craft drawers (4 of them) and am donating 10 mini acrylic paint tubes that I obviously will never use, as I've had them for 6 years. I am holding on to the mini tubes of watercolour paints, but have given myself a deadline of Sept this year to use them. It makes it so much easier to get rid of the stuff I am in 2 minds about if I set myself a time limit.

I also decluttered quite a few crochet and knitting patterns that I know I will never use.

I have also rehomed all the books on my adorable little vintage wooden bookshelf, and hidden said bookshelf in my wardrobe to see if I miss it. It is gorgeous but I really don't have a proper corner to display it. My daughter wants it for when she moves out, and I am *almost* ready to let it go, but not quite.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5097 on: May 16, 2021, 07:56:28 PM »
Sold a lot of 15 books on eBay, for $25. So happy to get a large space of closet back. They are now packed up & ready for the postal carrier to pick up tomorrow morning, along with two other packages.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5098 on: May 16, 2021, 08:49:22 PM »
Went to the tip with a bunch of bulky junk like a cracked bucket & cardboard - got paid to do it too because I got a gig taking someone else's. Husband said he's selling a power tool he doesn't need. Someone's coming at lunchtime for a heater and then I need to post something else. Pretty productive considering I thought we'd finished decluttering and I didn't expect to get so much $$ either :)

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #5099 on: May 16, 2021, 10:06:33 PM »
Had to come back straightaway to report that my daughter (who just started ADHD medication) just asked me for the aforementioned wooden bookshelf to use as her new bedside table. Her old one has a drawer which gets crammed with crap, which her brain then completely forgets about, so the shelves are much better visually. This has led to her reorganising, cleaning and decluttering more stuff from her room.

Just borrowed Tracy McCubbin's "Making space, clutter free. I love her writing style and she has excellent content on Youtube as well.

Now if I could only get my husband to part with a wardrobe full of cassette tapes, DVDs and CDs which  he is hoarding in his man cave/shed...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:09:53 PM by lazycow »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!