Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 806270 times)

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3900 on: July 24, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »
More suggestions needed: what to do with outdated designer clothing? My mother has a number of coats, blazers, etc. with massive shoulder pads. Including a suede coat from Italy... They are in great shape, I just hate the style, which I feel is over the top.  Just donate to thrift shop and let them sort out if somebody wants it?

They may be able to be remade into a different style if the quality is worth the effort and expense.  If you donít want them for yourself, then donate them to a thrift store.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3901 on: July 24, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »
More suggestions needed: what to do with outdated designer clothing? My mother has a number of coats, blazers, etc. with massive shoulder pads. Including a suede coat from Italy... They are in great shape, I just hate the style, which I feel is over the top.  Just donate to thrift shop and let them sort out if somebody wants it?
Have them remade or try a vintage consignment shop.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3902 on: July 24, 2020, 07:27:25 PM »

They may be able to be remade into a different style if the quality is worth the effort and expense.  If you donít want them for yourself, then donate them to a thrift store.

Have them remade or try a vintage consignment shop.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm afraid it's probably a thrift store then.  I haven't the room to save them till I get them remade, nor the time to get it done.  The idea of a vintage consignment shop is intriguing... I suppose I could send a few photos to local shops to see if there is interest.

okisok

• Bristles
« Reply #3903 on: July 25, 2020, 01:20:37 AM »
Finished up with some medications and medical aids from a recent surgery. Promptly put the empty containers in the recycling bin and tossed the non-recyclables. No hanging onto them just in case.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3904 on: July 25, 2020, 01:41:15 AM »
Two of our many many hot sauce bottles used up! We will get through them ALL.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3905 on: July 25, 2020, 04:13:40 AM »
Continuing the "packing for moving-declutter".
Several give-away items up on local Facebook-group now: toys & puzzles that the kids were both really clear the do not want any longer, a largish piece of furniture. In total 8 items, and I have already requests for four of them (including the large furnirture).

I have had some really busy days with other things, so not much done, but I did manage to give away several items, including all pieces of furntiture that needed to go before the open house, which will most likely be in two weeks.
We have also hauled some more items to the storage we are renting about 10 min drive from where we live.

This weekend needs to see some real progress on what's left. We need to remove a lot of things from storage in the house, so it looks neater, and we need to decrease our things in kitchen cupboards etc, so it looks as nice as possible when people come to the open house. I fully expect people to open every single cupboard in kitchen and bathroom, as well as wardrobes and drawers, built-in or not. I have told exDH that he needs to be aware that he can have no private or valuable stuff around the house during the viewings.

At the moment I am really procrastrinating, but I will start in about 15 minutes - promise!.

comicguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3906 on: July 25, 2020, 06:52:32 AM »
My decluttering efforts are going to take a big hit this upcomming week. We have been ordered to move all of our personal items out of our classroom to make way for 6ft social distance for students. Our classroooms have no built in storage so we have rolling cabinets and assorted bookshelfs. I teach a variety of subjects for both reg ed and spec ed so you can imagine what I have built up over the last 12 years in that classroom. The only things staying is teacher desk/chair, student desk/chair and computers. (if it does not fit in my teacher desk then it has to be put into storage or brought home. The school is leasing off site storage so if there is something we want out of our cabinets then we e-mail maintance 2 weeks ahead of time and "they will try and find the item needed" Like that is going to work well for 100 teachers! Anyway will bring home all items that I have puchased or sourced and sort them out, good excuse to cull some items that I no longer use or need.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3907 on: July 25, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
Have a shirt, six comics, a collapsible vase, and a few other sundries added to the donate pile.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3908 on: July 25, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »
We donated a van full of stuff today.  Good to get some things out of here!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3909 on: July 25, 2020, 06:02:02 PM »
toy box and push mower were picked up at the end of our driveway by neighbours today.   Those are big items I'm glad we won't have to move.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3910 on: July 26, 2020, 01:42:52 AM »
Its raining, quite a lot. So I finally made myself declutter a bit of paper stuff. Not huge progress but usually once I've started I can keep at it for a few days.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3911 on: July 26, 2020, 06:24:41 AM »
I have 2 bags of random household miscellany in my car trunk to go to the thrift store Monday.  I have some big wood furniture listed on Craigslist and Marketplace at the moment that I am hoping someone will take away in the next week.  I am going to attempt to unscrew some broken, malfunctioning shite apart today and take it down to the trash bin.  In pandemic times my building has had a big trash bin for residents decluttering :)  My HOA fees at work for good.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3912 on: July 29, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
We emptied the contents of the cupboards in the dining room so that DH could install the bench top that he made for it.  I am being very careful at what gets put back into the cupboards.  I now only the cookbooks I like looking through and the 'candles' cupboard - OMG that is so boogie a fricking cupboard of candles and candle holders and poofers?  Not ready to tackle all of that.  I like having candles.  We got married in the era of candle holders for wedding presents.  I have completely stopped buying candles as I know I have enough for the rest of my life.  But it all now fits in one smallish cupboard with all the matches and accessories so when the kids ask Where is the candles? - I can say in the candle cupboard.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3913 on: July 29, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »
Some super frugal friends of our (two brothers who literally buy all their socks on Black Friday, and all of their camping gear is SO beat up.  I love it) are taking all of our old baby stuff!  One of them has a new baby girl who is a few months old, and the other's wife is due in Dec.

My baby girl is 16 months now, and I have SO MUCH stuff for little babies - bottles, portable pump, bumbo, boppy, nursing clothes, cloth diapers (can't use them because she immediately gets a rash, sad day) - and they want ALL OF IT!!!!!!!  Woo!

So after Saturday it isn't all going to be sitting in my house waiting for me to list it on Craigslist/FB/buy nothing or bring it piecemeal to the baby consignment store.  Yes, maybe I won't get my money back, but I'll help some friends that I know and like, and pass on some stuff, some of which I got for free from other awesome people.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3914 on: July 29, 2020, 05:13:47 PM »
What a win, @chaskavitch !

I went through my closet again, now that I'm 4+ months into COVID, and know I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future. Found 9 items of clothing to list on eBay, plus a workout DVD.

I sold a nightgown I bought in Paris in 1999. No idea what brand it is, but listed it in the photos & made my money back from the original purchase. Crazy. Plus, it's now out of my house, as I *ahem* look different than I did 20+ years ago. But that Paris trip... memories!

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3915 on: July 30, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
I cleared out the bag/wrap drawer in the kitchen.  We are pretty much completely done with plastic film wrap.  But would you believe I had four rolls of the stuff in that drawer along with two rolls of aluminum foil?  One of them wasn't even opened.  I kept the smallest one and donated the others to family that still uses film wrap. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3916 on: July 30, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »
I just sold a TV console Ikea dealio on Craigslist to a delightful lady who showed up on time with exact, sterilized changeóyay!!!  I attempted to donate a smallupholstered travel  bag of clothing to a thrift shop on my way to lunch but they are only doing appointment donations so the bag of clothes will stay in my car trunk awhile. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3917 on: July 30, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »
11 egg cartons and 2 magazines mailed off to an out of state friend.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
  • Knit, bike, breathe. Repeat. - 94
« Reply #3918 on: July 30, 2020, 10:55:31 PM »
Finally able to clean up my entryway a bit. Library returns are now possible, so that got done today (4 books). Two other items were returned to the car. Not a big declutter; just what I could squeeze into a small amount of spare time today. The entryway looks better even though there are still items out of place there.

Finally took the book that was waiting in the entryway to the little free library today.  Another bit closer to done, yay!

slackmax

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3919 on: July 31, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
Saw a neatly rolled up orange electric extension cord on the curb, as I was bike riding a few days ago.  Was tempted to pick it up, but I really don't need another extension cord.

oneday

• Magnum Stache
  • Knit, bike, breathe. Repeat. - 94
« Reply #3920 on: July 31, 2020, 04:58:06 PM »
Finally able to clean up my entryway a bit. Library returns are now possible, so that got done today (4 books). Two other items were returned to the car. Not a big declutter; just what I could squeeze into a small amount of spare time today. The entryway looks better even though there are still items out of place there.

Finally took the book that was waiting in the entryway to the little free library today.  Another bit closer to done, yay!

And oh gosh.  I forgot that on Tuesday I took a few things to a friend's house.  We had agreed they would like two of the things, then I brought them a box of their favorite tea, too.  I just don't drink tea at home much.  What's left is an item to be returned (next week) and some papers. I detest paperwork.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3921 on: July 31, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »
Gave a bottle of mineral oil to a neighbor. I don't need it!

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3922 on: August 01, 2020, 06:26:57 AM »
did the garbage/recycling/compost collection zones in the house.  Our blue bin is full again and no collection until Wednesday.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3923 on: August 01, 2020, 07:28:17 AM »
I cleared out the bag/wrap drawer in the kitchen.  We are pretty much completely done with plastic film wrap.  But would you believe I had four rolls of the stuff in that drawer along with two rolls of aluminum foil?  One of them wasn't even opened.  I kept the smallest one and donated the others to family that still uses film wrap.

Have you started using reusable covers or something?

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3924 on: August 01, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »
Ok so I confess I am a book hoarder I have 200 left. I have already later down 300. I want to get down to 50 or less. Iíve dropped them at Salvation Army and Goodwill before any other suggestions for places to donate that take them?

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3925 on: August 01, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »
Today I broke down and recycled a pile of boxes that we had been 'saving' for our next visit to my dad's house.  Realistically, we can always find more boxes if we need them.  There is no need to keep a stash.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3926 on: August 01, 2020, 06:15:49 PM »
I'm (slowly) emptying out my book room so I can paint it. Moved the first bookcase into the back bedroom a few days ago and finally got around to putting the books back on the shelves. Moved the 2nd bookcase today. Culled a couple of books that I don't want anymore. Also decided that since I haven't worn the darn boots in 2 winters, I should just get rid of them.

All in the box for the thrift store.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3927 on: August 01, 2020, 06:58:15 PM »

Have you started using reusable covers or something?
I have been trying to stop using it for about ten years.  First the kids school started litterless lunches and so I got plastic containers...The our CSA went re-usable containers. Now I mostly use a glass bowl with a lid.  Or mason jars.  I have some beeswax wraps but the rigid containers are easier and I can stack them.  At the same time we also went down to one fridge so I have to be very efficient with space allocation.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3928 on: August 02, 2020, 01:32:24 AM »
Finally took care of the donation pile that's been building in the hallway- I thought there were only 2 bags but found a third one we had started hiding underneath our bike panniers. And we took everything to the donation bin via our bikes! I also returned 2 DVDs and a book to the library on the trip so it was a good lil mission all round.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3929 on: August 02, 2020, 06:44:49 AM »
I'm (slowly) emptying out my book room so I can paint it. Moved the first bookcase into the back bedroom a few days ago and finally got around to putting the books back on the shelves. Moved the 2nd bookcase today. Culled a couple of books that I don't want anymore. Also decided that since I haven't worn the darn boots in 2 winters, I should just get rid of them.

All in the box for the thrift store.

I am painting our living room / dining room before we get new carpeting.  This will push me to take care of a toy pile in the corner that needs to be addressed.  I will also cull our china cabinet.

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3930 on: August 02, 2020, 08:52:45 AM »
I called to have some furniture picked up for donation, but they were so busy that they're scheduling for September. Rather than wait, I put roof racks onto my little car and brought a box spring, bed frame, headboard, night table and rug to a charity that gives furnishings to the needy for free. I've given to them before, but this was my first time at their location, and  now that I've seen the range of things that they take, I think that I'll make another trip of smaller goods. Although I'm getting pretty good about being ruthless about getting rid of things, I'm still having a roadblock with giving away pretty task lamps. I can't get over the idea that I might want to use them some day.

While I like the easy route of donation, a friend down the street made $80 yesterday selling an area rug that had the logo of a local sports team on it, so I joked that I might start painting their logo on all of my junk and selling it for a fortune.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3931 on: August 03, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
-Sold another few items on eBay
-Listed items on eBay (and donated some that won't be worth selling) from my closet, with an eye towards what's getting limited use during COVID

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3932 on: August 03, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »
Gave away an older Bissell carpet cleaner.  Person that picked it up seemed pretty happy to get it.   I have a trunk full of things to donate to Goodwill when I go out on Wednesday - clothes, books, picture frames, etc.  Moving is a great motivator for getting rid of your clutter. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3933 on: August 03, 2020, 07:37:54 PM »
Got rid of two Corningware baking dishes that I received as a gift 20+ years ago & have used 1x. Totally unclear why I've moved them 3x. But now, they are moved on to someone who will hopefully enjoy them.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3934 on: August 04, 2020, 06:53:18 AM »
Games cupboards are sorted.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3935 on: August 04, 2020, 09:28:19 AM »
Decluttering/straightening inside kitchen cupboards before open house viewing Sunday. We have a pretty small kitchen/not that much cupboard space, and it needs to look larger/roomier than it is. Same for fridge.

Currently working really hard on decreasing candy supply as rest of family is away all day and cannot help me.

Gave away an older Bissell carpet cleaner.  Person that picked it up seemed pretty happy to get it.   I have a trunk full of things to donate to Goodwill when I go out on Wednesday - clothes, books, picture frames, etc.  Moving is a great motivator for getting rid of your clutter. 

Totally agree on moving as motivator, at least for me. ExDH not so much, but that will be his problem later on (I can write a lot about this, will probably do later in my journal to let off steam).
I am doing a lot of give-away on local Facebook page, putting stuff outside for easy pick up.

SheWhoWalksAtLunch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3936 on: August 04, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »

Currently working really hard on decreasing candy supply as rest of family is away all day and cannot help me.

some decluttering projects are tastier than others

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3937 on: August 05, 2020, 05:12:08 AM »

some decluttering projects are tastier than others

They sure are! To be honest, this is where I made most progress. But I also decluttered some old pasta, some was trashed as it was a type we are not eating, and it was expired so I couldn't give it away. Note to self  - give away this stuff immediately if we happen to receive for any reason.
I also put some random pantry stuff out on the kitchen counter to be eaten in nearest few days. Pleased to have two opened less than half full bags of pasta decluttered for lunch.

I have also requested help from rest of family with decluttering more candy/ice cream tonight, as I cannot be responsible for everything :-)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3938 on: August 06, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
A magazine went to my sister, and an unopened bottle of diet soda to mom.  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3939 on: August 06, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
My son rebuilt an old bike that we weren't using, and it sold in an hour. Junk out, cash in. We split the proceeds, and he's thrilled. He loves working on bikes & invested his money in additional bike repair tools.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3940 on: August 06, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
Got rid of a lamp, some random pieces of wood, and a power washer that always leaks at the base of the wand.  Everything at the end of the driveway, and gone within an hour.   I did put a note on the power washer about the leak, but the person that grabbed it didn't care.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3941 on: August 06, 2020, 07:57:55 PM »
Donated a bag of clothes and shoes that DD had outgrown. Happy that it is no longer on the floor in DDís bedroom.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3942 on: August 06, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »
I'm happy with my progress lately. I put some small items in the community free table in my building (coupons, coloring pages, books) and they were all claimed. I took photos of some nicer items and made a 'swap list' presentation in google drive and shared the link to friends who claimed a few jackets, a closet organizer. I'm surprised that the Fitbit and Team Jersey haven't been claimed yet. I think the free price is a bit of a detriment actually, no one knows who else I sent the list to and assumes that someone else is more in 'need' than they are, and they don't want to take away things from someone in need. A nice group of people.

In a different clear out - I took a 20 year old duvet and stuffed it into a half filled foot cushion, and bought some fleece on sale to back a queen sized quilt that had been backless for many, many years. My mother made the quilt, and it was loved and used until the old backing/filling wore out. It was just too special to toss, so I slowly figured it out and now have a beautifully finished project and I can't believe I didn't do this before it just feels so satisfying to have it finished and useable!

okisok

• Bristles
« Reply #3943 on: August 08, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »
Dang, this is one motivated group!!

I put my wobbly coffee table out on the curb and it was gone in no time. Thought about selling it, but I found it in the giveaway room (officially known as the trash room!) in my old apartment complex. Figured it was good karma to let it go for free.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3944 on: August 09, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
I have a car load of stuff to go to the animal shelter. Culled various beds and toys that my cats ignore and I'm tired of junking up the closet. Will swing by and drop them off today.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3945 on: August 09, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »
I have a car load of stuff to go to the animal shelter. Culled various beds and toys that my cats ignore and I'm tired of junking up the closet. Will swing by and drop them off today.

None of my dogs and cats were ever interested in pet beds.  Why would they be?  Sleeping on our beds and furniture is much nicer.   ;-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3946 on: August 10, 2020, 10:16:09 AM »
Received a referral prize for a race I'm running. It's not something I had a clear use for, so already listed on eBay. I want to ensure I'm not taking more "stuff" into the house.

Continuing a closet clean out, and ensuring everything left is something I love, and have a good understanding of where I'll wear it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3947 on: August 11, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »
-Went through kids closet & noticed he'd dumped his bag of ski stuff (to use the bag elsewhere). Re-organized everything, found a backpack to donate.
-Continued going through my closet, & found a shirt to list on eBay.
-Kids haven't played soccer in six months, & socially distanced practices are supposedly starting next week. 13 year old tried on his practice outfit, and it's basically shorty shorts & a crop top. He's grown quite a bit. All to the donation pile, save for a few pair of shorts in good enough condition to try & sell. However, had to order a couple of new pair on Amazon. Hopefully this size will fit.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3948 on: August 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM »

None of my dogs and cats were ever interested in pet beds.  Why would they be?  Sleeping on our beds and furniture is much nicer.   ;-)

Oh, the cats will happily sleep in cat beds. Just not those ones. But the furniture is fair game too. I've had something of a revolving cast of cats in the past year, so had accumulated some new/replacement beds. The rejects are then donated after appropriate cleaning. I do need to get a cat tree or similar, but not yet. Am also refreshing/expanding the cat toy selection for similar reasons. And hopefully the cats will be sticking around :)

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3949 on: August 11, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »

Oh, the cats will happily sleep in cat beds. Just not those ones. But the furniture is fair game too. I've had something of a revolving cast of cats in the past year, so had accumulated some new/replacement beds. The rejects are then donated after appropriate cleaning. I do need to get a cat tree or similar, but not yet. Am also refreshing/expanding the cat toy selection for similar reasons. And hopefully the cats will be sticking around :)

Yours are good kitties.  Mine always figured the best place for a nap was where it would be least convenient.  One loved paper, especially if the paper was student assignments being marked.  Cats are opaque.  And shed.   It made life interesting.