Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1253484 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #3900 on: July 30, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
I cleared out the bag/wrap drawer in the kitchen.  We are pretty much completely done with plastic film wrap.  But would you believe I had four rolls of the stuff in that drawer along with two rolls of aluminum foil?  One of them wasn't even opened.  I kept the smallest one and donated the others to family that still uses film wrap. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3901 on: July 30, 2020, 11:31:45 AM »
I just sold a TV console Ikea dealio on Craigslist to a delightful lady who showed up on time with exact, sterilized change—yay!!!  I attempted to donate a smallupholstered travel  bag of clothing to a thrift shop on my way to lunch but they are only doing appointment donations so the bag of clothes will stay in my car trunk awhile. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3902 on: July 30, 2020, 02:23:07 PM »
11 egg cartons and 2 magazines mailed off to an out of state friend.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3903 on: July 30, 2020, 10:55:31 PM »
Finally able to clean up my entryway a bit. Library returns are now possible, so that got done today (4 books). Two other items were returned to the car. Not a big declutter; just what I could squeeze into a small amount of spare time today. The entryway looks better even though there are still items out of place there.

Finally took the book that was waiting in the entryway to the little free library today.  Another bit closer to done, yay!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3904 on: July 31, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
Saw a neatly rolled up orange electric extension cord on the curb, as I was bike riding a few days ago.  Was tempted to pick it up, but I really don't need another extension cord.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #3905 on: July 31, 2020, 04:58:06 PM »
Finally able to clean up my entryway a bit. Library returns are now possible, so that got done today (4 books). Two other items were returned to the car. Not a big declutter; just what I could squeeze into a small amount of spare time today. The entryway looks better even though there are still items out of place there.

Finally took the book that was waiting in the entryway to the little free library today.  Another bit closer to done, yay!

And oh gosh.  I forgot that on Tuesday I took a few things to a friend's house.  We had agreed they would like two of the things, then I brought them a box of their favorite tea, too.  I just don't drink tea at home much.  What's left is an item to be returned (next week) and some papers. I detest paperwork.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3906 on: July 31, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »
Gave a bottle of mineral oil to a neighbor. I don't need it!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3907 on: August 01, 2020, 06:26:57 AM »
did the garbage/recycling/compost collection zones in the house.  Our blue bin is full again and no collection until Wednesday.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3908 on: August 01, 2020, 07:28:17 AM »
I cleared out the bag/wrap drawer in the kitchen.  We are pretty much completely done with plastic film wrap.  But would you believe I had four rolls of the stuff in that drawer along with two rolls of aluminum foil?  One of them wasn't even opened.  I kept the smallest one and donated the others to family that still uses film wrap.

Have you started using reusable covers or something?

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3909 on: August 01, 2020, 04:37:15 PM »
Ok so I confess I am a book hoarder I have 200 left. I have already later down 300. I want to get down to 50 or less. I’ve dropped them at Salvation Army and Goodwill before any other suggestions for places to donate that take them?

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3910 on: August 01, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »
Today I broke down and recycled a pile of boxes that we had been 'saving' for our next visit to my dad's house.  Realistically, we can always find more boxes if we need them.  There is no need to keep a stash.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3911 on: August 01, 2020, 06:15:49 PM »
I'm (slowly) emptying out my book room so I can paint it. Moved the first bookcase into the back bedroom a few days ago and finally got around to putting the books back on the shelves. Moved the 2nd bookcase today. Culled a couple of books that I don't want anymore. Also decided that since I haven't worn the darn boots in 2 winters, I should just get rid of them.

All in the box for the thrift store.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3912 on: August 01, 2020, 06:58:15 PM »

Have you started using reusable covers or something?
I have been trying to stop using it for about ten years.  First the kids school started litterless lunches and so I got plastic containers...The our CSA went re-usable containers. Now I mostly use a glass bowl with a lid.  Or mason jars.  I have some beeswax wraps but the rigid containers are easier and I can stack them.  At the same time we also went down to one fridge so I have to be very efficient with space allocation.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3913 on: August 02, 2020, 01:32:24 AM »
Finally took care of the donation pile that's been building in the hallway- I thought there were only 2 bags but found a third one we had started hiding underneath our bike panniers. And we took everything to the donation bin via our bikes! I also returned 2 DVDs and a book to the library on the trip so it was a good lil mission all round.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3914 on: August 02, 2020, 06:44:49 AM »
I'm (slowly) emptying out my book room so I can paint it. Moved the first bookcase into the back bedroom a few days ago and finally got around to putting the books back on the shelves. Moved the 2nd bookcase today. Culled a couple of books that I don't want anymore. Also decided that since I haven't worn the darn boots in 2 winters, I should just get rid of them.

All in the box for the thrift store.

I am painting our living room / dining room before we get new carpeting.  This will push me to take care of a toy pile in the corner that needs to be addressed.  I will also cull our china cabinet.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3915 on: August 03, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
-Sold another few items on eBay
-Listed items on eBay (and donated some that won't be worth selling) from my closet, with an eye towards what's getting limited use during COVID

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3916 on: August 03, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »
Gave away an older Bissell carpet cleaner.  Person that picked it up seemed pretty happy to get it.   I have a trunk full of things to donate to Goodwill when I go out on Wednesday - clothes, books, picture frames, etc.  Moving is a great motivator for getting rid of your clutter. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3917 on: August 03, 2020, 07:37:54 PM »
Got rid of two Corningware baking dishes that I received as a gift 20+ years ago & have used 1x. Totally unclear why I've moved them 3x. But now, they are moved on to someone who will hopefully enjoy them.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3918 on: August 04, 2020, 06:53:18 AM »
Games cupboards are sorted.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3919 on: August 04, 2020, 09:28:19 AM »
Decluttering/straightening inside kitchen cupboards before open house viewing Sunday. We have a pretty small kitchen/not that much cupboard space, and it needs to look larger/roomier than it is. Same for fridge.

Currently working really hard on decreasing candy supply as rest of family is away all day and cannot help me.

Gave away an older Bissell carpet cleaner.  Person that picked it up seemed pretty happy to get it.   I have a trunk full of things to donate to Goodwill when I go out on Wednesday - clothes, books, picture frames, etc.  Moving is a great motivator for getting rid of your clutter. 

Totally agree on moving as motivator, at least for me. ExDH not so much, but that will be his problem later on (I can write a lot about this, will probably do later in my journal to let off steam).
I am doing a lot of give-away on local Facebook page, putting stuff outside for easy pick up.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3920 on: August 05, 2020, 05:12:08 AM »

Currently working really hard on decreasing candy supply as rest of family is away all day and cannot help me.

some decluttering projects are tastier than others

They sure are! To be honest, this is where I made most progress. But I also decluttered some old pasta, some was trashed as it was a type we are not eating, and it was expired so I couldn't give it away. Note to self  - give away this stuff immediately if we happen to receive for any reason.
I also put some random pantry stuff out on the kitchen counter to be eaten in nearest few days. Pleased to have two opened less than half full bags of pasta decluttered for lunch.

I have also requested help from rest of family with decluttering more candy/ice cream tonight, as I cannot be responsible for everything :-)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3921 on: August 06, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
A magazine went to my sister, and an unopened bottle of diet soda to mom.  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3922 on: August 06, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
My son rebuilt an old bike that we weren't using, and it sold in an hour. Junk out, cash in. We split the proceeds, and he's thrilled. He loves working on bikes & invested his money in additional bike repair tools.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3923 on: August 06, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
Got rid of a lamp, some random pieces of wood, and a power washer that always leaks at the base of the wand.  Everything at the end of the driveway, and gone within an hour.   I did put a note on the power washer about the leak, but the person that grabbed it didn't care.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3924 on: August 06, 2020, 07:57:55 PM »
Donated a bag of clothes and shoes that DD had outgrown. Happy that it is no longer on the floor in DD’s bedroom.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3925 on: August 06, 2020, 08:25:48 PM »
I'm happy with my progress lately. I put some small items in the community free table in my building (coupons, coloring pages, books) and they were all claimed. I took photos of some nicer items and made a 'swap list' presentation in google drive and shared the link to friends who claimed a few jackets, a closet organizer. I'm surprised that the Fitbit and Team Jersey haven't been claimed yet. I think the free price is a bit of a detriment actually, no one knows who else I sent the list to and assumes that someone else is more in 'need' than they are, and they don't want to take away things from someone in need. A nice group of people.

In a different clear out - I took a 20 year old duvet and stuffed it into a half filled foot cushion, and bought some fleece on sale to back a queen sized quilt that had been backless for many, many years. My mother made the quilt, and it was loved and used until the old backing/filling wore out. It was just too special to toss, so I slowly figured it out and now have a beautifully finished project and I can't believe I didn't do this before it just feels so satisfying to have it finished and useable!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3926 on: August 08, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »
Dang, this is one motivated group!!

I put my wobbly coffee table out on the curb and it was gone in no time. Thought about selling it, but I found it in the giveaway room (officially known as the trash room!) in my old apartment complex. Figured it was good karma to let it go for free.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3927 on: August 09, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
I have a car load of stuff to go to the animal shelter. Culled various beds and toys that my cats ignore and I'm tired of junking up the closet. Will swing by and drop them off today.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3928 on: August 09, 2020, 11:48:06 AM »
I have a car load of stuff to go to the animal shelter. Culled various beds and toys that my cats ignore and I'm tired of junking up the closet. Will swing by and drop them off today.

None of my dogs and cats were ever interested in pet beds.  Why would they be?  Sleeping on our beds and furniture is much nicer.   ;-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3929 on: August 10, 2020, 10:16:09 AM »
Received a referral prize for a race I'm running. It's not something I had a clear use for, so already listed on eBay. I want to ensure I'm not taking more "stuff" into the house.

Continuing a closet clean out, and ensuring everything left is something I love, and have a good understanding of where I'll wear it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3930 on: August 11, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »
-Went through kids closet & noticed he'd dumped his bag of ski stuff (to use the bag elsewhere). Re-organized everything, found a backpack to donate.
-Continued going through my closet, & found a shirt to list on eBay.
-Kids haven't played soccer in six months, & socially distanced practices are supposedly starting next week. 13 year old tried on his practice outfit, and it's basically shorty shorts & a crop top. He's grown quite a bit. All to the donation pile, save for a few pair of shorts in good enough condition to try & sell. However, had to order a couple of new pair on Amazon. Hopefully this size will fit.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3931 on: August 11, 2020, 02:20:43 PM »

None of my dogs and cats were ever interested in pet beds.  Why would they be?  Sleeping on our beds and furniture is much nicer.   ;-)

Oh, the cats will happily sleep in cat beds. Just not those ones. But the furniture is fair game too. I've had something of a revolving cast of cats in the past year, so had accumulated some new/replacement beds. The rejects are then donated after appropriate cleaning. I do need to get a cat tree or similar, but not yet. Am also refreshing/expanding the cat toy selection for similar reasons. And hopefully the cats will be sticking around :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3932 on: August 11, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »

Oh, the cats will happily sleep in cat beds. Just not those ones. But the furniture is fair game too. I've had something of a revolving cast of cats in the past year, so had accumulated some new/replacement beds. The rejects are then donated after appropriate cleaning. I do need to get a cat tree or similar, but not yet. Am also refreshing/expanding the cat toy selection for similar reasons. And hopefully the cats will be sticking around :)

Yours are good kitties.  Mine always figured the best place for a nap was where it would be least convenient.  One loved paper, especially if the paper was student assignments being marked.  Cats are opaque.  And shed.   It made life interesting.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3933 on: August 11, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »
Our council held a free chemical cleanout last weekend so we jettisoned 4 huge boxes of paint, random unused cleaning and garden chemicals, empty gas cartridges and an ancient gas cylinder. Not much was my stuff, it was mostly left behind by the previous property owner and stuff from my parent's house. It feels good to see the back of it.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3934 on: August 11, 2020, 04:37:14 PM »
Finally threw out a pile of things we'd been trying to find homes for via Buy Nothing to no avail. YESSSSSSSSS good.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3935 on: August 11, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »
Some of my clutter, some the neighbors'. They moved out over the weekend and filled up the communal trash bins with recyclables and some items in good shape. I sorted through it and put the still-good items in my car with my stuff I need to donate. Put the recyclable items into the appropriate bin. Now I just need to drop off the trunkful tomorrow on my way to work.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3936 on: August 11, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »
Getting back on track with the decluttering that had to be put on hold for the pandemic.

I took down over a dozen boxes of baby and toddler clothes that had been taking up space in our attic. Mrs. Fl posted them on Buy Nothing, and they were snapped up immediately. It was super-convenient, the people who wanted them came and took them right off our stoop.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3937 on: August 12, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »
Need some common sense applied please...

I have 2 beach/pool towels. I don't go to the beach. I don't have access to a pool, and when I do, it's either hotel or a friend's so they do have pool towels. Trying to figure out if I want to keep these towels. The most use they've gotten honestly is I used them to pack framed pictures.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3938 on: August 12, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »
Depends on your usual towel situation. We started using beach towels as bath towels because I got too lazy to put them away with the beach stuff, and it feels great to wrap up in the huge towel. But if you have enough towels, get rid of them!

I just finished emptying my mother's giant, stuffed house. Drove an hour back to my own (now overstuffed) house.  Then realized I had forgotten the shed. There isn't much there, so I posted the stuff on Craigslist and a guy says he's on his way to pick up now. Crossing my fingers that he takes it all.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3939 on: August 12, 2020, 12:32:35 PM »
How is your regular towel supply?  How about your cleaning rags supply? 

We often run out of both.  If someone gifted me two beach towels I would keep one intact for towel use and cut the other up into rags. 

it sounds like you likely don’t need either of them and that you definitely don’t need two.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3940 on: August 12, 2020, 03:25:31 PM »
Received a referral prize for a race I'm running. It's not something I had a clear use for, so already listed on eBay. I want to ensure I'm not taking more "stuff" into the house.

Continuing a closet clean out, and ensuring everything left is something I love, and have a good understanding of where I'll wear it.

-Already sold referral prize on eBay, so that's packaged up & getting dropped off at the mailbox.
-Had the kids try on all of their swim trunks, and made a stack of what we need to donate or sell, as 4 pair were too small. (We have a pool, so have quite a few pair.)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3941 on: August 12, 2020, 04:11:29 PM »
Re: towels, usually the local animal shelter will happily take them along with used sheets, blankets, and pillows.  :)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3942 on: August 12, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »
DS is home for a while and has been going to town decluttering stuff in the garage and the basement. I listed a box of misc. gardening stuff for free on FB Marketplace.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3943 on: August 13, 2020, 07:02:32 AM »
Found 2 white dress shirts with obvious wear, in a big rubber tub. Since my local textile recycling is not accepting anything lately, I threw them out. Stress-free.

shrimpwd

• Stubble
« Reply #3944 on: August 13, 2020, 10:53:27 AM »
I finally got around to listing a few things on marketplace and another site. We'll see if people are interested.

I'm notorious for finding things of value in my house, decide to sell them, and let the piles grow without listing them. Trying to get better at that. At least trash leaves in short order.

Hoping to have the 3 season porch cleared out in the next few weeks - I let family store things there for a while... (Going on four years)

I still have a decent pile of books I want to bring to the local store. They offer trade value and I'm looking for a few specific books they may have. Work and social distancing, with a bit of procrastination, are holding up that pile.

I always find the piles to hold me back from finding more things to let go of. My critical mass doesn't usually look horrible, but it drives me nuts (and yet I don't take action... Heh)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3945 on: August 13, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
I re-read the Feng Shui book Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life this week and overhauled my condo.  This afternoon I sent my 96-99 yearbooks down the trash chute and I must say it felt pretty damn good.  I kept the senior yearbook.  I also kept my dad’s senior yearbook. 

I threw away some defunct string lights and will eat some random fridge contents for dinner. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3946 on: August 13, 2020, 02:26:42 PM »
I think I will keep the beach towels. At least for now. I'm not shy about purging stuff in general, so if I'm having this much trouble deciding to keep or get rid of these I'm going to just go with the easy option.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #3947 on: August 13, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »
Back in Lockdown so no op shops open for me to donate 2 bags of random stuff, mainly clothes and books at the moment.
Am down to the tech clutter: checked my Olympus digital camera and uploaded the few photos from 2013 (!) The actual camera no longer works so will take it and charger to ewaste recycling when it opens again. Am trying to revive an old laptop whose keyboard doesn't work but thst will also go if I am not successful.
Emailed myself all the photos off our old ipad so I can finally edit and print the best ones. I like to have a wall of photos rather than look at them online. The kids like it too. In the process, I have deleted 100's of blurry and almost duplicates. I haven't done this since getting a smart phone several years ago and it feels good!
I want to start relearning the piano and I need to have a clean house and clear brain with nothing nagging at me and the photos were the last project. I bought at full weighted keyboard and donated the mini one I started with to a friend.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #3948 on: August 14, 2020, 01:24:20 AM »
I'm not shy about purging stuff in general, so if I'm having this much trouble deciding to keep or get rid of these I'm going to just go with the easy option.

@Sibley, I think this sounds really reasonable. I will use this as well.
Possibly you are like me and many others, if you let them sit for a while, now that you have been thinking "actively" about them, you may end up either letting them go or find you will use them in a meaningful way, so they will not be idle any more. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3949 on: August 14, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »

I want to start relearning the piano and I need to have a clean house and clear brain with nothing nagging at me and the photos were the last project. I bought at full weighted keyboard and donated the mini one I started with to a friend.

I have been procrastinating about learning to play my Casio piano keyboard. I even have a book of popular piano music I can reference. I must get to it soon. I think my problem is that, in my 'real' feelings, I consider it a waste of time (even though it isn't).