Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1253363 times)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #2350 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Does anyone do a garbage bag rodeo? Grab some garbage bags and run around the house to see if you can fill them up in maybe half an hour? I think I am feeling like doing that today. I may just do one bag full because the garbage bags I have are 33 gallon size.

Does anyone still have their wedding gowns? Mine is OLD, OLD, OLD! I have no one to 'give' it to and will never wear it again and it sits in my closet taking up space. I feel weird donating it. Part of me wants to keep it and part of me wants to donate it. What to do...

I still have mine, but to be fair I got married less than a year ago.  I have vague plans to try dyeing and hemming it, so I can use it as an evening gown (the style is suitable) but I have to clear out my sewing pile before tackling a new project.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2351 on: April 10, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
Does anyone do a garbage bag rodeo? Grab some garbage bags and run around the house to see if you can fill them up in maybe half an hour? I think I am feeling like doing that today. I may just do one bag full because the garbage bags I have are 33 gallon size.

Does anyone still have their wedding gowns? Mine is OLD, OLD, OLD! I have no one to 'give' it to and will never wear it again and it sits in my closet taking up space. I feel weird donating it. Part of me wants to keep it and part of me wants to donate it. What to do...

I donated mine immediately after the wedding. I never understood why people held onto them for 40-50 years.  What do you do with it?

Some cities have charities where they take donations to make funeral gowns for stillborn babies.  Ours is swamped with donations though and not accepting anymore.
There are also wedding dress specific charities, which I think is probably preferable to goodwill, where it is likely to get shelved with prom and formal wear.

What do you do with it? It hangs in the original bag with veil and shoes! It takes up room and yes, been hanging for 40+ years! Maybe I could be buried in it but they would have to buy some extra fabric to let the dress out a few feet. LOL! Maybe it is time to let it go!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:03:20 AM by Roadrunner53 »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2352 on: April 10, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
Put a book in the little free library on my street.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #2353 on: April 10, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
My dad gave me a stack of books from his career (he's retired now) and they've been sitting in my bookcase for well over a year now. Tomorrow I'll take them to work and drop them off at a department that might actually use it. If they don't want it, next step is the coffee table at work with a 'free' note.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2354 on: April 10, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
My dad gave me a stack of books from his career (he's retired now) and they've been sitting in my bookcase for well over a year now. Tomorrow I'll take them to work and drop them off at a department that might actually use it. If they don't want it, next step is the coffee table at work with a 'free' note.

I donated a bunch of famous chef cookbooks acquired at the Culinary Institute of America to a local non profit culinary school for their use. If your books are of an educational nature like engineering or the trades, you might consider donating them to a local technical school.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2355 on: April 11, 2019, 06:54:48 AM »
Resisting the thought in the back of my mind "Hey, I could get 50 cents for this at a garage sale", I donated a 2,000 piece puzzle to a church I was visiting yesterday, for their annual yard sale. I asked if they took clothes and they said no. Asked if they took unused scented candles, and the answer was yes! But since they said yes, I'm now thinking of selling them to my local reseller guy, assuming he takes them.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2356 on: April 11, 2019, 07:11:11 AM »
There was so much stuff in my house (still is) that I worry about what effect there will be on  my heating and cooling bill if I ever get rid of it all.

So far the clutter I've removed  was tons of paper clutter (well, about 500 pounds at least).     

All that paper was storing heat in the winter and coolth in the summer. Sort of a thermal 'ballast' that makes it take longer for the air in house to change temperature, in theory, and allowing the heat pump to come on less often. Same way a fridge full of stuff is cheaper to run than an empty fridge.     

I'm still going to keep decluttering, though.

I'm maybe the only one thinking about this, lol. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2357 on: April 11, 2019, 08:28:28 AM »
Resisting the thought in the back of my mind "Hey, I could get 50 cents for this at a garage sale", I donated a 2,000 piece puzzle to a church I was visiting yesterday, for their annual yard sale. I asked if they took clothes and they said no. Asked if they took unused scented candles, and the answer was yes! But since they said yes, I'm now thinking of selling them to my local reseller guy, assuming he takes them.

Just a thought on jigsaw puzzles. At my local oncology department at the hospital they have a big table set up just to do crossword puzzles. Any visitor can sit down and try their luck at the puzzle. So, if anyone has puzzles to donate, think about your local oncology center to see if they have an ongoing puzzle table. Maybe even a Senior Center too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2358 on: April 11, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
There was so much stuff in my house (still is) that I worry about what effect there will be on  my heating and cooling bill if I ever get rid of it all.

So far the clutter I've removed  was tons of paper clutter (well, about 500 pounds at least).     

All that paper was storing heat in the winter and coolth in the summer. Sort of a thermal 'ballast' that makes it take longer for the air in house to change temperature, in theory, and allowing the heat pump to come on less often. Same way a fridge full of stuff is cheaper to run than an empty fridge.     

I'm still going to keep decluttering, though.

I'm maybe the only one thinking about this, lol.

The risk of pest damage and mold growth that comes along with a lot of stuff would more than outweight a bit of heat savings, IMO.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2359 on: April 11, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
What do you do with it? It hangs in the original bag with veil and shoes! It takes up room and yes, been hanging for 40+ years! Maybe I could be buried in it but they would have to buy some extra fabric to let the dress out a few feet. LOL! Maybe it is time to let it go!

Ha ha, I had to laugh at this. I have a wedding gown in my attic too.  Let's go full Havisham and start wearing our gowns daily. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2360 on: April 11, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »

Ha ha, I had to laugh at this. I have a wedding gown in my attic too.  Let's go full Havisham and start wearing our gowns daily.
Unfortunately I am 30 pounds more than when I married - so that would be more than a little uncomfortable.  I should see if my daughter will fit it because she is almost taller than me.  If she gets taller than me it will never fit her and I should re-use that silk for something else.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2361 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:28 AM »

Unfortunately I am 30 pounds more than when I married - so that would be more than a little uncomfortable.  I should see if my daughter will fit it because she is almost taller than me.  If she gets taller than me it will never fit her and I should re-use that silk for something else.

My daughter tried on my wedding dress and it did not fit - she is taller and bustier than I was then.  Not sure why I held on to it, and now that I am long divorced I am really wondering what to do with it - as in, where best to donate it.  I married in the early 70s, so it is definitely out of fashion, unless someone wants something really retro.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2362 on: April 11, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »

What about making a really simple drape-y blouse. I'm assuming the skirt has the most fabric to it.  Even if there is a seam it might be ok to just let it add a visual element to a simple top. Something like the Lou Box top.  https://www.sewdiy.com/shop/lou-box-top-pdf-pattern

daffodil2001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2363 on: April 11, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
I recently dropped off three bags of worn out clothes for textile recycling, along with some things I decluttered in advance of our upcoming move. And then my grandma dropped off a set of dishes she found at a thrift store and decided I just had to have. (I already have a full set of dishes and never expressed interest in having more.) I think she wanted to get me something because I knit her some fingerless gloves since her hands are always cold. I’ll probably keep them around for a few months and make a point of using them when Grandma visits, and then maybe “loan them to a friend who’s having a party.” I don’t want to just get rid of them right away  because she was so excited about them, but the dishes I already have are oven safe and these new ones aren’t.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2364 on: April 11, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »
Watched another Hoarders episode yesterday. This woman lived in a 31 room mansion in SC and she had every room filled with JUNK! She had little trails she walked thru with her cane! It was a disaster. The stupidest things she saved. She actually lost the house to foreclosure and was living in her van with two dogs and the van was a mess too. The new owners, along with the Hoarder show people, allowed her to come on the property so she could take a few things. Well we all know how that would go. She wanted to pick thru everything. They had 35 workers and in the end I think they filled 100 dumpsters. She was dragging stuff into the street and had someone come with a pick up truck hauling a trailer. That got loaded up but no way all of it could fit. So the town came along and scooped it up into a dumpster. What a nightmare!

If anyone is procrastinating on hoeing your house out, watch a few episodes of Hoarders and you will get mighty motivated! I have 8 bags ready for Vietnam Vets but I plan to fill more before I call them!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:43:55 PM by Roadrunner53 »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2365 on: April 11, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »
Watched another Hoarders episode yesterday. This woman lived in a 31 room mansion in SC and she had every room filled with JUNK! She had little trails she walked thru with her cane! It was a disaster. The stupidest things she saved. She actually lost the house to foreclosure and was living in her van with two dogs and the van was a mess too. The new owners, along with the Hoarder show people, allowed her to come on the property so she could take a few things. We well all know how that would go. She wanted to pic thru everything. They had 35 workers and in the end I think they filled 100 dumpsters. She was dragging stuff into the street and had someone come with a pick up truck hauling a trailer. That got loaded up but no way all of it could fit. So the town came along and scooped it up into a dumpster. What a nightmare!

If anyone is procrastinating on hoeing your house out, watch a few episodes of Hoarders and you will get mighty motivated! I have 8 bags ready for Vietnam Vets but I plan to fill more before I call them!

Wow.
I'm not watching hoarders, just planning to sell the house is enough motivation to get all the extra stuff out so it will show better.  Word to the wise - this is exhausting, do it sooner rather than later.  Two moves ago I donated masses of stuff and still found more to donate as I was unpacking.  And that was a move to a bigger house!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2366 on: April 11, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »
I've been watching the hoarder shows as a cautionary tale.  Unfortunately DS and DIL are dealing with DIL's parents' hoarding.  It started out slow, but is now at the point where between clutter and mold, the house will become uninhabitable if they don't do something soon.   

We would like to move either this year or next, if we could just find a place to move to in the GTA we like and could afford.  We've been in this house 20 years, which is the longest we have ever lived in one place.  We usually moved every 7 years or so, and that did wonders for keeping the clutter down.  My goal has been one bag or box per month, and so far I am exceeding that.  Which says we have far too much stuff in this house!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2367 on: April 11, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
The thing with having a hard time throwing things out is that we become attached to things that made us happy in the past. For some it is like a security blanket to have stuff.  I also find that guilt makes me keep stuff. Like if a friend or my Mother gave me something.  But for these hoarders, it is an illness and they can't let go and cannot recognize they are hoarding even when there are mouse droppings and urine on things. What gets me is that it is bad enough that the stuff is up to the ceiling but some have piles of clothes all over the floors, even in the kitchen. No room at all in the kitchen to prepare a meal or run water in the sink. Some have broken plumbing and can't use the toilet or tub! Some don't have heat and no one will come in to fix the problem because they can't get into the house! Plus, Styrofoam cups, food containers and crap that could go in the garbage can but is placed everywhere. As much as I can't agree with hoarding at all, you would think that there would be some kind of organization like placing things in giant rubbermaids and labeling them.

So glad I don't have this disorder! I have way too much crap though! I am doing good whittling it down and am seeing the light of day. We built our house in 1975 and have never moved. Over the years stuff came into the house but not much left it! I am finding I don't have much need for anything. I can let it go without a problem. Just gotta spend time bagging it up. I am trying to use the concept if I buy some new kitchen thing I have to get rid of one kitchen thing. So far so good. Just got rid of a zillion kitchen spatulas, tongs and duplicates, triplicates and stupid things. Got rid of a giant bag of kitchen towels, placemats, books. I tell a friend of mine quite regularly on how many giant garbage bags I am getting rid of and she is in awe of my accumulations. Not moving is a bag thing!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2368 on: April 12, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »
I helped a friend pack up her kitchen yesterday.  She is moving from a large family home to a condo.   (Divorced a few years ago but kept the family home until her youngest is done grade 12).

She is excellent at not holding onto "stuff"...truly, only her kitchen and workshop have a lot of "tools"... even so, it was interesting to see her thought processes.  She has a lot of very nice pots / pans / dishes and did a great job culling out at least 25% on the first go before I arrived.   I would subtly remind her from time to time about the size of the new kitchen...   or ask if she tends to cook with three large frypans at the same time so could maybe get down to two?  No? Okay. (She started with 5).   I encouraged her to get rid of the large wok, for example, by pointing out how many fabulous Asian restaurants are at the door of her new place, and that maybe she will want to get into SE Asian cooking or something new next.

We hold onto our stuff for so many reasons:
- it is great condition / quality still
- It cost a lot
- We remember being young and NOT having some of these items / quality items and it sucked.  Fear of missing it sometime in future.
- Memories of the food that we have made, people we made it with.
- Hope (dream) for another dinner party or event of X in future (Hello shaped cake pans and 10 piece plate setting x 5 sizes of plates and bowls).
- We identify with a role "Decorator", "Family chef and party maker" and surrounding ourselves with these things reinforces our self-identity

But you know what?  At some point the old stuff prevents us from making new memories with new people and activities, events.   We need to remember the good and MOVE ON.

My friend did a terrific job and will cull more after she moves in and lives in the space.   It did inspire me to gut a couple of corners in my own place, too.  We are never as good at this as we think we are.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2369 on: April 13, 2019, 01:35:12 AM »
I'm making an effort to use up my stash of 100 or so tea lights.

Once I've used them up I think I'll donate the cute tea light holders and just stick with one or two large candles at a time.

I need to research more a more environmentally-friendly approach to candles that are only used for ambience and decor.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2370 on: April 13, 2019, 02:01:22 AM »
Hard rubbish day is being a big success. So much of the stuff we put out has already been picked up so won't end up in the tip. It feels good to have things out of the basement, making room for the things we do use.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2371 on: April 13, 2019, 04:21:26 AM »

Once I've used them up I think I'll donate the cute tea light holders and just stick with one or two large candles at a time.

I need to research more a more environmentally-friendly approach to candles that are only used for ambience and decor.

Keep a few tea lights  for power outages.   

I only buy candles second hand now. I’ve seen “sustainable” candles marketed but decided second hand was right for me. I question how good (or bad) the scents and smoke are but still enjoy burning some in a long evening. 

ETA: I broke the spirit of the thread suggesting you keep tealights!  Ah! Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:04:29 AM by PMG »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2372 on: April 13, 2019, 04:46:40 AM »

I only buy candles second hand now. I’ve seen “sustainable” candles marketed but decided second hand was right for me. I question has good (or bad) the scents and smoke are but still enjoy burning some in a long evening. 

ETA: I broke the spirit of the thread suggesting you keep tealights!  Ah! Sorry!

But tealights in a good holder make great emergency candles.  They don't smell, and if the container is really solid you can leave one burning all night as a night light.   Votive candles the same - actually better, they last longer.  Or the decorative candles in a glass jar.  The last batch of emergency candles I bought reeked.  My decorative candles are my emergency candles.  Just be sure you know where the matches are in the dark!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2373 on: April 13, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
So I'm 10 weeks pregnant now, and after a good scan, I'm realizing that luck might actually be on my side for once and I might *actually* need to fit an infant into this apartment, LOL. Not that we don't have the space, it's a big place, but I know it'll be less stressful to deal with the influx of baby stuff if we cull other unneeded stuff first. So that'll be my next big project. I also need to figure out what things I don't fit I'll store, vs what I'm unlikely to fit again. (I'm thinking skinny jeans that were already pretty tight on my hips might be a no go- I have fairly narrow hips now, so I'm guessing they may end up wider, ultimately. And not sure $15 jeans are worth storing with that likelihood, you know?)

Our biggest inefficient storage areas are our 3 closets. 1 will likely survive most culling, since it has our camping gear. The master currently has a hodgepodge of items up top, some hand me down baby gear, gift wrap, winter gear, that sort of stuff. It's a super tall closet and if nothing else very inefficiently packed, so I think I'll be able to streamline it a lot. Our front hall closet is like, our garage kinda. It's where everything we kept from the garage went. Also has a bunch of shoes and some coats, again poorly stored so it's really space inefficient. Ideally I could get it so a stroller can fit in there, so we don't block the hallway with it full time. This will require culling shoes, and organizing the remainder better. ...not on super short weird freebie hand me down particle board racks, haha.

Oh, also thought of- our second bathroom (we're in 2br/2ba, second bedroom is my husband's office since he WFH). That bathroom has built in storage, most of which is storing off season linens, some massive serving platters and such we got for our wedding, basically things that made sense when we owned a home, but not now. Unsure what we'll do with these. I don't want to get rid of them? But if we need the space, I suppose they're things that could go. There's also a lot of bulk storage in there right now (ziplocks, paper towels, toilet paper) and all my old IVF supplies (extra needles, sharps containers, on and on). So I can whittle that stuff down pretty easily.

Cool, I kinda have a game plan! Let's hope this second tri energy shows up soon so I can actually DO these plans, haha!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2374 on: April 14, 2019, 12:22:11 AM »

I only buy candles second hand now. I’ve seen “sustainable” candles marketed but decided second hand was right for me. I question how good (or bad) the scents and smoke are but still enjoy burning some in a long evening. 

I can't believe I didn't think to look for second-hand! Love this idea, thank you.

No worries about suggesting I hang onto a couple of tea lights. It's a good idea. At the moment they fill an entire basket, so once I'm down to half a dozen for emergencies that can hide in a drawer, I'll be happy.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2375 on: April 14, 2019, 04:32:51 AM »
So I'm 10 weeks pregnant now, and after a good scan, I'm realizing that luck might actually be on my side for once and I might *actually* need to fit an infant into this apartment, LOL. Not that we don't have the space, it's a big place, but I know it'll be less stressful to deal with the influx of baby stuff if we cull other unneeded stuff first. So that'll be my next big project. I also need to figure out what things I don't fit I'll store, vs what I'm unlikely to fit again. (I'm thinking skinny jeans that were already pretty tight on my hips might be a no go- I have fairly narrow hips now, so I'm guessing they may end up wider, ultimately. And not sure $15 jeans are worth storing with that likelihood, you know?)

Our biggest inefficient storage areas are our 3 closets. 1 will likely survive most culling, since it has our camping gear. The master currently has a hodgepodge of items up top, some hand me down baby gear, gift wrap, winter gear, that sort of stuff. It's a super tall closet and if nothing else very inefficiently packed, so I think I'll be able to streamline it a lot. Our front hall closet is like, our garage kinda. It's where everything we kept from the garage went. Also has a bunch of shoes and some coats, again poorly stored so it's really space inefficient. Ideally I could get it so a stroller can fit in there, so we don't block the hallway with it full time. This will require culling shoes, and organizing the remainder better. ...not on super short weird freebie hand me down particle board racks, haha.

Oh, also thought of- our second bathroom (we're in 2br/2ba, second bedroom is my husband's office since he WFH). That bathroom has built in storage, most of which is storing off season linens, some massive serving platters and such we got for our wedding, basically things that made sense when we owned a home, but not now. Unsure what we'll do with these. I don't want to get rid of them? But if we need the space, I suppose they're things that could go. There's also a lot of bulk storage in there right now (ziplocks, paper towels, toilet paper) and all my old IVF supplies (extra needles, sharps containers, on and on). So I can whittle that stuff down pretty easily.

Cool, I kinda have a game plan! Let's hope this second tri energy shows up soon so I can actually DO these plans, haha!

Some people turn a closet into a pseudo office space. If you have a closet you could expand somehow, you could use the second bedroom for the baby. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/342344009147600588/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:01:25 AM by Roadrunner53 »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2376 on: April 14, 2019, 05:11:58 AM »
Bbq, two desks, a drawer frame, two hiking bags, a bike, a skateboard, two frying pans, misc tools in a toolbox, misc bike parts. Some balls for sports we no longer play! All out for hard rubbish! The neighbourhood kids have had a great time in the park the last couple of days with various toys and wheels from the piles. It has been fun.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2377 on: April 14, 2019, 05:44:10 AM »

I can't believe I didn't think to look for second-hand! Love this idea, thank you.

No worries about suggesting I hang onto a couple of tea lights. It's a good idea. At the moment they fill an entire basket, so once I'm down to half a dozen for emergencies that can hide in a drawer, I'll be happy.

Ah, so there is a chance someone will buy my 10 unopened, and of course, unused, scented candles when I put them on Craigslist for $1 each, must buy all?

jnnfr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2378 on: April 15, 2019, 02:59:44 AM »
Two smallish boxes of stuff and a set of glasses to the op shop today. Progress has been slowed by my partner having sprained his ankle pretty badly.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2379 on: April 15, 2019, 06:37:05 AM »
My DD completely cleared out the main bath vanity.   It looks amazing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2380 on: April 15, 2019, 07:39:59 AM »
I had a complete breakdown last night about the clutter in the garage. At midnight I was in there throwing stuff into boxes, because it's just ALL over the shelves... 
We still have room for our 2 cars in the garage; but the garage is the main entry into the house and there is just STUFF everywhere. And as much as I sweep or vacuum, the dirt and dust and sawdust is just everywhere.  I can't declutter the garage because it isn't my stuff.

So now, most of the shelves are at least in boxes, and I don't have to see it anymore.

But I feel bad, because I really took it out on my husband...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2381 on: April 15, 2019, 11:49:10 PM »
I had a complete breakdown last night about the clutter in the garage. At midnight I was in there throwing stuff into boxes, because it's just ALL over the shelves... 
We still have room for our 2 cars in the garage; but the garage is the main entry into the house and there is just STUFF everywhere. And as much as I sweep or vacuum, the dirt and dust and sawdust is just everywhere.  I can't declutter the garage because it isn't my stuff.

So now, most of the shelves are at least in boxes, and I don't have to see it anymore.

But I feel bad, because I really took it out on my husband...

Sounds tough, red panda. I've been there, where I've just completely snapped over stuff.

I'm sure you're forgiven. And at least you don't have to look at it now.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2382 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:07 PM »
I put a pair of work pants in the Vinnies bag this morning.

They haven't been worn in at least three years, and I've lost 10 kilos since then.

They were so laughably big on me that I sent a pic to @marty998, who was incredibly polite in agreeing with me that the big pants make my already-short legs look ridiculously stumpy.

Why have I even kept them this long??? (The pants, that is. The short legs I'm apparently stuck with.)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2383 on: April 16, 2019, 01:41:26 AM »
I put a pair of work pants in the Vinnies bag this morning.

They haven't been worn in at least three years, and I've lost 10 kilos since then.

They were so laughably big on me that I sent a pic to @marty998, who was incredibly polite in agreeing with me that the big pants make my already-short legs look ridiculously stumpy.

Why have I even kept them this long??? (The pants, that is. The short legs I'm apparently stuck with.)

They looked flared! Or clown size haha.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2384 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:48 AM »

If you ever find a way to get longer legs, let us all know.   ;-) 
DD and I are the same height sitting down, she is 3" taller than I am.  Guess who has long legs and who has short legs?  ;-(   It sure does make it difficult to find pants that look good.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2385 on: April 17, 2019, 01:33:37 AM »
Arranged for someone to collect the boots. Was also looking for a particular paper, so I kept each page I came across that was ready for shredding as I was looking and visited the shredder once I found the page I was actually looking for. So much clutter hidden away~!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2386 on: April 21, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
Decluttered shoes and coats this week - only 1 pair of shoes in the donate bin, I actually don't have that many pairs to spare.  I did clear out a few jackets and fleeces that are duplicate weight or don't fit right.  I'm running out of low-hanging fruit, though.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2387 on: April 21, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
So excited! Our senior center is having a free shredding event for seniors middle of May! I have a ton of stuff collected and one more file box to clean out. A few days before this event there is a Rotary club one and even though it is a charity event, it would cost me $10 a box. I probably would have 10 boxes full. So I am HAPPY I can take my stuff to the free senior event! YAY!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2388 on: April 21, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »
Worked on my closet for a bit this morning. Went through & organized all of my freebie books (from work), so they are nicely stacked. We don't have a bookshelf.

Found two things to donate, several boxes to recycle, and one box that's perfect for eBay mailing. That went into the mailing cupboard. While not much came out, everything is tidied & looks so much better.

I'm trying on my evening/going out dresses sometime today, in anticipation of a reasonably dressy vacation with my mom. Any of the dresses that don't currently fit are going into the donate pile. Many are 10+ years old, and span a variety of kid sizes. No more "saving for a future weight". If they don't fit, they are gone.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2389 on: April 21, 2019, 06:28:20 PM »
Over the weekend I:

- gave away five bottles of wine to family
- gave my nephews their Easter bunnies, getting them out of my house
- gave a pair of irreparable pants to a friend who wanted the fabric for a sewing project

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2390 on: April 21, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Happy Easter
DH this morning was asking me for the egg cups, to serve the hard boiled (coloured) eggs in.

Um... Egg Cups?   I think I donated them about 8 years ago...  And the eggs tpdau were hardboiled, not soft, anyway.  No need for egg cups, especially as you only want them once every other year or less.

I don't think he gets the declutter movement.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2391 on: April 22, 2019, 12:37:14 AM »
Happy Easter
DH this morning was asking me for the egg cups, to serve the hard boiled (coloured) eggs in.

Um... Egg Cups?   I think I donated them about 8 years ago...  And the eggs tpdau were hardboiled, not soft, anyway.  No need for egg cups, especially as you only want them once every other year or less.

I don't think he gets the declutter movement.

Shot glasses make decent egg cups... :D

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #2392 on: April 22, 2019, 01:17:49 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!

I've said it before, but I'm pretty much all decluttered except for 2 categories: books and clothes. With books, I see it as a big waste to get rid of them. I can't even really say why... fellow book hoarders will understand, I guess. It doesn't help that I got most of these books from my parents. I'm the designated book dump. I'm holding on to books simply because they are books... But I also know I absolutely detest translated works when I can read the original work. I have a lot of English literature translated to Dutch. My English is fine and I'd rather read the original words from the author. Translations can be so annoying and not authentic.

So here's my challenge... can I donate some books I know I'd never read, even if I had all the time in the world to read them? Part of me already shudders at the thought. I have so much guilt and shame connected to books! Urgh.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2393 on: April 22, 2019, 06:12:31 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!

I've said it before, but I'm pretty much all decluttered except for 2 categories: books and clothes. With books, I see it as a big waste to get rid of them. I can't even really say why... fellow book hoarders will understand, I guess. It doesn't help that I got most of these books from my parents. I'm the designated book dump. I'm holding on to books simply because they are books... But I also know I absolutely detest translated works when I can read the original work. I have a lot of English literature translated to Dutch. My English is fine and I'd rather read the original words from the author. Translations can be so annoying and not authentic.

So here's my challenge... can I donate some books I know I'd never read, even if I had all the time in the world to read them? Part of me already shudders at the thought. I have so much guilt and shame connected to books! Urgh.

Nederstash, not sure I have the love of books you do but we did have quite a collection of Culinary Institute of America cookbooks. My hub took cooking enthusiasts courses and with each course he got a beautiful book, some even were signed by the author/chef. They sat and sat and sat for years and we never used them. So, I called this local culinary school that teaches people to work in the food industry to become skilled in kitchen procedures. I asked if they would like the books and they were thrilled to get them. They even sent someone to get them! So, in a weird way I didn't want to part with them but knowing it will make others happy made it worthwhile. I am sure your local library has a once a year book sale to raise money. You could take some of your less loved books and donate them. It will help them and help you regain space. You may find as you start unhoarding the books, the easier it is to get rid of them. Not sure where you keep all your books but maybe you could consider a new bookshelf that might fit a maximum of 50 books. That way you will have to decide which books are worthy to fill the 50 slots. Once the bookshelf is filled you must get rid of a book should you buy a new book. All books must fit on the bookshelf.

I know this thought might make you cringe, but some people make purses out of the book covers. I have seen them on Etsy and the purses sell for quite a bit of money due to the fact that it is lined, purse handles added and lots of hand work. Unfortunately, the book contents are removed. Then I have seen people make arty things from printed pages from books too, also on Etsy. I found a small collection of books on Craigslist. They were filled with fairy tales and pictures. After I got the books I decided I didn't want them. There were approximately 10 of them. I contacted a lady on Etsy who had made a purse out of an identical book I had in the collection. I asked her if she might be interested in buying the collection and she was. So I got the books free and sold them for maybe $20. I was glad to get rid of them! She was selling the purses for around $175 each!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2394 on: April 22, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »
I finally got rid of some empty boxes that I was saving 'just in case'. A big vacuum cleaner box that is 25 years old. It's out on the curb waiting for the recycling guys come to toss it into the truck.

And the box is full of 3 other boxes I stomped down.

I couldn't bring myself to toss out the box that my stereo receiver came in, though. Ya never know when you might want to pack up your stereo, right? 

Anyway, I no longer have the annoying big stack of boxes in my hallway. Yay.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2395 on: April 22, 2019, 07:51:28 AM »
Hi Nederstash! I know that set of feelings around books. It's usually helped me to remember that when they sit unread and unloved on my shelves, that's not respecting those books. They should be in a home where they'll be read and appreciated.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2396 on: April 22, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
In and out! A friend gave us some clothes. We immediately tried them on and grabbed what fit, and will be re homing the ones that don't. I don't want them sitting around if they don't work at all!

Already gifts are coming in. MIL gave us some baby clothes and a book at easter. I'm only 11 weeks! I better get a plan pronto for where I'll keep this stuff for the time being- right now it's sitting on my kitchen table, so this isn't going to work long term, clearly.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #2397 on: April 22, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
A year and a half after we went through our drinking glass cabinet, we found four glasses we never reach for and added them to the goodwill bag.

Very grateful to be out of low-hanging fruit. But everyday maintenance is still important! I never want to build back up to the level we were at before and I can see it happening very easily. Same concept as money, the small things really do add up.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2398 on: April 22, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!

I am a book lover. If it's a book I will never read, didn't like, or for any reason do not want - it can go. On the reverse, I can keep a book even if I'll never read it just because I want to own it.

You do NOT have to keep a book just because you're not "allowed" to get rid of books.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2399 on: April 22, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
In and out! A friend gave us some clothes. We immediately tried them on and grabbed what fit, and will be re homing the ones that don't. I don't want them sitting around if they don't work at all!

Already gifts are coming in. MIL gave us some baby clothes and a book at easter. I'm only 11 weeks! I better get a plan pronto for where I'll keep this stuff for the time being- right now it's sitting on my kitchen table, so this isn't going to work long term, clearly.

@Bracken_Joy  - you need a plan for what and how much you'll accept, period. Where to put it is a separate issue. If you're getting stuff in the 1st trimester, you have a much bigger issue to address. Just look at all the parents bemoaning the tide of plastic crap.

Also consider a flat out ban on any "firsts", for ever and ever.