Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1253760 times)

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #650 on: May 07, 2018, 12:31:53 PM »
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I just took 13 bags to a shred event last week and just found another two drawer file cabinet with a ton of crap that needs shredding! The event I went to was free. Last Saturday they had one elsewhere that cost $10 a box. GRRRRRRRR! The free one one is only one time a year. What do you think I should do? Find another event and pay to get rid of this crap or wait till next year?

My head just blew a gasket when I opened those drawers and saw all that crap! ARGGGGGG!!
I have friends that throw it in their fire pit while they sit drink beer/roast marshmallows.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: May 07, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »
[It took me 6 months to clear the last house, and then a couple more to get it redecorated and let out, so you are already ahead of my timetable on that: do give yourself credit for that.
Thank you. Yes. I think it was a mistake to bring so much of it to our home to deal with. But it's in our basement and not our living space, and that allowed me to quickly sell the house and invest the proceeds, as well as not make tough decisions on what to keep when I'm still very emotional.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: May 07, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
[
Sorry to hear about your mom. I would definitely second choosing how much furniture you need and which pieces you want to keep. That is a lot of excess large items! FWIW, we sold some fancy china and water goblets for close to $1000. You might be able to sort through the dishes and clear out some that way once you have the bulky stuff sorted and some time to consider what you want to keep.

[/quote]
I'm thinking I figure out what to keep and work on selling the big pieces of furniture first. Then use that space to store boxes on one side of the basement while I sort them on the other one at a time? We are also starting the process of remodeling our house which makes it that much more complicated. What will I want once the remodel is done? Who knows.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #653 on: May 07, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
GET RID OF IT NOW! Pay the fee. Make it go away. Worth it.

And, as you declutter, you will probably have this experience over and over again. You clear out "everything" that can go, and three days later find or identify more. Nature of the game. Keep it going OUT, even if a small fee is involved.

You made me laugh when you said "make it go away". LOL! Spoke to the Hub about the two drawers full and he agreed to get rid of it. I might be able to pare down the cost if none of the junk is confidential, thus costing me less to shred. I have no idea what all the junk is. But two drawers full.

I had a shredder, actually two and I despised them. They are slower than molasses and filled up so fast. Then the mess the shred pieces make when you remove the bin. The last one broke and I don't want another one. When I worked we had a beast of a shredder at work and it would almost take telephone books.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #654 on: May 07, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
I love my personal home shredder for the tiny bits I like to do daily. 3-5 documents, maybe 30 on an exciting day. Backlog -the build up from years, or from a massive project- I like to get to a shredding company, out, done.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #655 on: May 07, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
I've had a box w/ a couple books for my sister and a big bag of needlepoint pillows from my parent's house to try to ebay. Except that I can't really get to the post office easily due to work schedule.

Packed all of it up into a big box, going to ship to my sister. She will ebay the crap. (Family politics, have to at least try to sell.) We tend to divvy up the parent related stuff, and by virtue of the current situation, she's light. Will take to post office probably next week since I've got the week off, but it's at least neat and contained.

I plan to pull out the 4(!) light fixtures that I need to ebay, clean and take pictures and get them posted this week. Since I'm off next week, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll all sell and I can take to the post office pretty easily.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #656 on: May 07, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
Newly unwanteds go to thrift within seven days...

Done! :)

Also: Headed off the phone book delivery at the pass. It's 2018 and I have internet. Nope!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #657 on: May 08, 2018, 04:50:03 AM »
Gave some more castoffs to some excited students. :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #658 on: May 08, 2018, 06:48:54 AM »
Okay, a few years ago I bought these plastic organizers. One says it is for organizing beads and junk for jewelry making. The other one I think I picked up in an isle in Walmart for tools or fishing so this could organize lures I guess. However, I just loved these organizers so much I HAD TO BUY THEM. So I get them home and have no idea what to put in them. I put them away and forgot about them. Yesterday I was yanking out crap to donate and found them again and once again fell in love with these plastic organizers. But still have nothing to put in them. How stupid can I get? They have dividers but you could use the whole thing as an open space.

This is one of the organizers and the other is a little smaller: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-FTO-Elite-3700-Size-Crank-Bait-Organizer/17126456

I don't fish and I don't make jewelry. I have no idea what to do with these but I love them! LOL! I am an idiot! Anyone have any ideas on some uses for these things? My Hub has a bunch in the garage for nuts and bolts and he will gladly take them off my hands if I can't figure out how to use them.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: May 08, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »
Okay, a few years ago I bought these plastic organizers. One says it is for organizing beads and junk for jewelry making. The other one I think I picked up in an isle in Walmart for tools or fishing so this could organize lures I guess. However, I just loved these organizers so much I HAD TO BUY THEM. So I get them home and have no idea what to put in them. I put them away and forgot about them. Yesterday I was yanking out crap to donate and found them again and once again fell in love with these plastic organizers. But still have nothing to put in them. How stupid can I get? They have dividers but you could use the whole thing as an open space.

This is one of the organizers and the other is a little smaller: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-FTO-Elite-3700-Size-Crank-Bait-Organizer/17126456

I don't fish and I don't make jewelry. I have no idea what to do with these but I love them! LOL! I am an idiot! Anyone have any ideas on some uses for these things? My Hub has a bunch in the garage for nuts and bolts and he will gladly take them off my hands if I can't figure out how to use them.

We have a beading/jewelry making organizer similar to that which is perfect for holding all of the pieces for our Agricola board game :)  It has a ton of tiles, tokens, cards, etc., and somehow I found an organizer with exactly enough holes that fits perfectly inside the game box.  Infinitely better than little plastic baggies for everything.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #660 on: May 08, 2018, 07:56:27 AM »
I love using it for organizing earrings. I also use one to organize hair ties by color for my kids. I love them!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #661 on: May 08, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this to an internet stranger, but please don't call yourself names.  For one thing, it's counterproductive.

I too have a peculiar love and attachment for organizers.  When I moved, I packed up a bag full of bags.  Like a 2' (60cm) tall bag full of other empty bags.  I had overflow in my bike basket (itself a container).  I <3 containers of all kinds.  Bags, boxes...expecially if it has lots of pockets or cubbyholes.  It has nothing to do with intelligence; it's an emotional reaction.  I think I see possibility & opportunity when I see those things.

I have a tackle box I use as my "indoor" tool box.  It holds misc hardware like cup hooks, alligator clips, picture hanging hardware and also my 4-in-1 screwdriver, a 25' (7.6m) tape measure, utility knife, and a lot more.  So that's an idea.

Do you have a junk drawer in your house?  Could one or both of these containers be used to bring some organization to that mess?

@firelight has a good idea with the earrings.  Regular rings (for fingers) might work, too.

Is there craft/hobby you do that has small bits?  I have a similar organizer that I put embroidery floss & spare buttons in.

Gigantic pill/medication organizer? :)

Last, consider it an opportunity for personal growth and generosity to either give them to your Hub or to the charity of your choice.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #662 on: May 08, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
One word of caution, some china has gold rims around the edges. If you were to put the dish in the microwave it might damage the microwave. Not sure how to know but I would avoid putting those type dishes in the MW.

I have plain white plates that go in the microwave.  I don't care if the metal trim eventually wears off in the dishwasher.  I have some glasses that had gold trim, and were hard to wash by hand (a bit narrow) and they go in the dishwasher.  The gold is gone, of course, but do I care?  No.

Funny microwave and metal trim story from work.  Someone put a mug with metal trim in the microwave - yes, it made weird noises and exploded and we had the fire department in.  This was someone who should have known better.

The big downside for  nice china from relatives/bought at auction is that it comes with all the little cups and saucers, that no-one uses any more.  Top shelf at the back.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #663 on: May 08, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »
oneday, Don't take everything someone says so seriously! I called myself an idiot and stupid because I can! It is called humor! I didn't call anyone else those things.

Some of us do things that we think will improve a situation like clutter and then come home with a totally useless item. It is great when you find something and say, "oh, wow, that is just what I have been looking for". Then there is the, Oh, I like those organizers and I have to have them and I will find some use for them and then don't.

I was halfway thinking of putting lunchmeat in them but I don't think they are for food and may not be air tight. I am thinking of maybe a desk organizer. I have post it notes, pens, rulers, a few batteries, calculator and other little things. Or maybe all my $100 bills I have scattered around the house! Ha, ha!

Thanks for your other ideas.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #664 on: May 08, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
RR53, your post did not read (to me) as humorous at all, rather it seemed like you were being really hard on yourself.  I'm glad to know that's not the case.  I will admit that I am sensitive to using lack of intelligence as insults (dumb, stupid, idiot etc).  Even when I keep that in mind & re-read, it just doesn't seem funny to me.

The desk organizer idea seems like a winner!

Or maybe all my $100 bills I have scattered around the house! Ha, ha!

Now that's funny :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #665 on: May 08, 2018, 04:12:19 PM »
Seriously, oneday, you need to lighten up. If you reread a portion of what I wrote it was:  LOL! I am an idiot! LOL means laughing out loud!

Sorry you don't get my humor. I call myself an idiot, jerk, and many other things when I make dumb mistakes. If you read future posts of mine, I try to interject humor most of the time.

Laughter it the best medicine!

Ended up taking the lid off the larger organizer and using it as a desk organizer. It is okay, not great. The other one I did clean out a junk drawer and used the smaller one. It was okay but not perfect. Kind of ridged in a small drawer.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #666 on: May 09, 2018, 05:19:10 AM »
Helped my Mum get rid of five garbage bags of towels to the RSPCA... it wasn’t half of the towels they have in the house, but it was a good effort all the same. Still chipping away at little odds and ends in my own house and I think I still have too much clothing and fabric type stuff (sheets, towels, anything that lives in the laundry basket basically) because the house is still regularly a mess of clean but unfolded laundry. *sigh* I sometimes wish I was a neat and tidy person by nature.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #667 on: May 09, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
I sometimes wish I was a neat and tidy person by nature.

KonMari is confident we can all become that. Do you believe you can, Yasha?

Way to go on the towels!!!

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #668 on: May 10, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »
I sometimes wish I was a neat and tidy person by nature.

KonMari is confident we can all become that. Do you believe you can, Yasha?

Way to go on the towels!!!

I certainly can believe that. I used to be such a slob and a packrat. Just the other day I saw a picture of my house, maybe just two years ago, and I'm appalled at the endless array of bits and bobs on every damn surface! No fewer than 9 pieces of 'decor' on a 6 foot wide window sill. Can't believe that was just two years ago! My house has changed dramatically and I don't think I really realized how much.

My window sill is empty nowadays. I have a gorgeous view of the river and trees and I like my view uninterrupted! And my cats love basking in the sun, all stretched out. Who needs things?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #669 on: May 10, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
I used to work at a company where we produced food products so it had to be sanitary. We had concrete floors with the floors pitched to the drains, stainless steel tables and concrete walls. Most of the equipment was stainless steel. Every Friday we would remove everything and put it in its proper place and hose the walls, floors, tables down with this special detergent to prevent germs. I loved it and thought what a great thing this would be in a home! Just lather it all up and spray it with water and all the gunk down the drain! That is my dream house!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #670 on: May 10, 2018, 09:58:39 PM »
Well it's been a busy two weeks since I last posted on this thread about decluttering.  I've been settling into my new place an keeping occupied finding the right place for all my things.  Including identifying items for the donation box I started two weeks ago, but haven't filled yet.

Last weekend I helped Mr. X move into his new place that has no kitchen access.  He decided that I should have two large boxes of kitchen things.  Um, no thanks!  It was actually quite distressing to have him dump that stuff in my apartment, when I was just getting it to feel organized.

Which means it took a couple days to even work up to being able to deal with it.  Last night I went through those boxes to pull out a few dishes I did want.  Tonight I got all the food situated in the cabinets.  I plan to bring the remainder to our storage unit this weekend.  It will be, quite literally, a load off!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #671 on: May 11, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »
What’s the goal with the storage unit, oneday? It sounded like the rest of those two boxes of kitchen stuff neither of you wants..? Can they go straight to the thrift?

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #672 on: May 11, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
So... we currently have (and maybe I should go post on Wall of Shame with this too...) 5 (!) computers in our house.

1. DH's old Mac (2006) that literally stopped working/turning on in 2012 and has been sitting in a drawer since.
2. DH's old PC (2012) that he actually got from the Presidential campaign he worked on in 2012 when the offices shut down. (If he paid for it, which I'm not sure he did since that would have been 'campaign income' after the fact, it was likely around $100). This is in the process of being wiped.
3. DH's new PC (2018) to replace the 2012 PC. DH works from home 1-2x/week and the computer is necessary for his job.
4. My old Mac (2016) which had an unfortunate run-in with my toddler and liquid earlier this spring.
5. My new Mac (2018) which I needed to replace the old Mac. (I currently work from home FT and could not 'share' my DH's computer on days we were both home... *le sigh*)

So we need to get rid of computers 1, 2, and 4. Next weekend, I'm taking computers 1 and 4 to the Apple store nearby, as they will recycle old Macs at no cost (neither piece of hardware is worth the 'trade in' process, and I don't need to buy anything from Apple anyway). I'm also going to gently encourage (read: probably nag) DH into getting his computer completely clean to be recycled at a local electronics store that same weekend. They WILL be gone (recycled) by 5/31.

*sigh* We've moved at least one of these (non-working) computers TWICE. TWICE! That's nuts. If I can get these three things out of my house by the end of the month, I'm going to consider May a decluttering win.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #673 on: May 11, 2018, 08:55:56 AM »
If I makes you feel better (the opposite of the purpose of this thread) I have at least 6 computers and I live alone.  Since I moved into my motor home full time I use 2 laptops, a large one and a smaller travel one.  I have my old desktop and at least 3 older laptops.  Wait, I think I gave away one of the smaller older laptops a few years ago.  I may only have 5.  And that is because 2 years ago I decluttered the non-working ones when I retired.  Le sigh.  As a computer geek I have an issue with what to do with working but older technology that most folks wouldn't want.  There is also the issue that I have a bunch of games that won't work on the newer operating systems...

I'm working on it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #674 on: May 11, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »
So... we currently have (and maybe I should go post on Wall of Shame with this too...) 5 (!) computers in our house.

1. DH's old Mac (2006) that literally stopped working/turning on in 2012 and has been sitting in a drawer since.
2. DH's old PC (2012) that he actually got from the Presidential campaign he worked on in 2012 when the offices shut down. (If he paid for it, which I'm not sure he did since that would have been 'campaign income' after the fact, it was likely around $100). This is in the process of being wiped.
3. DH's new PC (2018) to replace the 2012 PC. DH works from home 1-2x/week and the computer is necessary for his job.
4. My old Mac (2016) which had an unfortunate run-in with my toddler and liquid earlier this spring.
5. My new Mac (2018) which I needed to replace the old Mac. (I currently work from home FT and could not 'share' my DH's computer on days we were both home... *le sigh*)

So we need to get rid of computers 1, 2, and 4. Next weekend, I'm taking computers 1 and 4 to the Apple store nearby, as they will recycle old Macs at no cost (neither piece of hardware is worth the 'trade in' process, and I don't need to buy anything from Apple anyway). I'm also going to gently encourage (read: probably nag) DH into getting his computer completely clean to be recycled at a local electronics store that same weekend. They WILL be gone (recycled) by 5/31.

*sigh* We've moved at least one of these (non-working) computers TWICE. TWICE! That's nuts. If I can get these three things out of my house by the end of the month, I'm going to consider May a decluttering win.

I think we have 5 computers and 6 phones around, in spite of having taken a load of stuff to electronics recycling back in 2015. Husband's work is just so demanding on computers that they kinda need bleeding-edge computers. He's also basically the IT department for the company, so we just end up with computers like crazy. Only one of the computers was mine that I bought before nursing school, and it... kinda doesn't work much anymore. I currently use an old work computer of husband's that can't handle 3D modeling anymore, but is fine for web browsing and spread sheets.

Some day we'll get around to the tech overload =\ Part of the problem is the computers HAVE been used as emergency work backups before, so they sit 90% of the time but save the day once a year or so. Ugh. At least they're all laptops, so they fit nicely tucked away in the office closet!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #675 on: May 11, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
Does anyone know of a place to donate old cell phones? Do they even take old cell phones with old technology?

I have a bag of old ones and want to get rid of them. I donated some years ago. Where ever it was I didn't even get a thank you.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #677 on: May 11, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
Thanks for that link. I am going to donate to the Cell Phones for soldiers! I am excited that they will go to good use!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #678 on: May 11, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
I don't know how up-to-date the article is, so just an example of what might come up in a Google search. Probably lots of other good options too.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #679 on: May 11, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
This is really pathetic but I am so excited! I purchased two new laundry baskets from Walmart and they are collapsible! I have 3 giant clunker ones that are a pain to store and they are going bye, bye! Two are in perfect shape and I have Vietnam Veteran organization doing a pick up here on Tuesday so will include the two good baskets. The one that is my favorite is cracking and pinches your fingers...so that one will get chopped up and thrown in the garbage.

I must live in a very special world where a collapsible laundry basket was the highlight of my day! LOL! It is a space saver though!

Here it is! https://www.walmart.com/ip/PO-BSKT-COLLAPSE-1-6/126266179

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »

I think we have 5 computers and 6 phones around, in spite of having taken a load of stuff to electronics recycling back in 2015. Husband's work is just so demanding on computers that they kinda need bleeding-edge computers. He's also basically the IT department for the company, so we just end up with computers like crazy. Only one of the computers was mine that I bought before nursing school, and it... kinda doesn't work much anymore. I currently use an old work computer of husband's that can't handle 3D modeling anymore, but is fine for web browsing and spread sheets.

Some day we'll get around to the tech overload =\ Part of the problem is the computers HAVE been used as emergency work backups before, so they sit 90% of the time but save the day once a year or so. Ugh. At least they're all laptops, so they fit nicely tucked away in the office closet!

My dad has 2 full filing cabinets, 1 floor to ceiling bookcase, 1 half size bookcase, and at least 3-4 boxes of computer stuff. Parts, software, wires, connections, etc. That is actually reduced in size.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #681 on: May 11, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »

My dad has 2 full filing cabinets, 1 floor to ceiling bookcase, 1 half size bookcase, and at least 3-4 boxes of computer stuff. Parts, software, wires, connections, etc. That is actually reduced in size.

I'm desperately trying to avoid it, but with Husband being an electrical engineer, that may be the eventual future. *Sigh* so long as he keeps it organized and in the office, I guess, it's fine.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #682 on: May 11, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
Multiple pairs of shoes off to the thrift store.  Mr. SP had bought a few pair for work, but then retired.  He doesn't need them now, won't wear them, so out they go.  I have plantar fasciitis, so shoes that used to be comfortable are not now.  A few pair had only been worn a couple of times (dress shoes), so I think someone will be very glad to find them at Goodwill.  Our closet looks so much neater.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #683 on: May 11, 2018, 02:21:37 PM »
YAY!

I have lurked for a long time and this thread motivated our spring clean up efforts. Initially we were going to haul most of the following list to the dump/metal recycle and instead we sold a bunch on Facebook Marketplace! We also donated six boxes of clothes/toys to community living!

Here is the list so far from cleaning out garage:
Smart Car Rims $125 $100 SOLD
Tar: $40
Paintings: $30
Vase: $15
Little People: $75 SOLD
Dryer: $85 SOLD
Jacuzzi Tub: $300 SOLD
Table & Chair: $15 SOLD
Potterybarn rug: $40 SOLD
LED Spares: $55 SOLD
Toys: $22 SOLD
Mirrors: $25 SOLD
Baby Gate: $25 SOLD
Fridge: $300 SOLD
Used Water Heater: $150 SOLD
Another Dryer: $100 SOLD

TOTAL SALES: $1,192.00 $1,292.00

Time spent listing/cleaning: 8.75 hours
Dump fees: $0.00

Thank you for the motivation and I hope this motivates some one else the same way you all have motivated me!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:07:57 PM by Swish »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #684 on: May 11, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
I have a decluttering win! We moved today and all our belongings fit in a 15 foot uhaul truck (two adults and two kids). Last time we made the same move ten months back, we had a 15 foot truck and a sedan and a suv packed to the gills. Now after packing with two young kids under 4 underfoot,I want to declutter more since we have another move in a year's time.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: May 11, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »
What’s the goal with the storage unit, oneday? It sounded like the rest of those two boxes of kitchen stuff neither of you wants..? Can they go straight to the thrift?

The storage unit was a temporary place for our excess stuff while we prepped & then put the condo on the market starting in Feb.  I have 3 pieces of furniture & 1 box left in there, then I wash my hands of it.  I am negotiating right now with several companies to help with the furniture possibly next weekend. 

Mr. X is going overseas for 2 months in late summer, so for now he is renting a room with no kitchen access.  This he will give up when he travels, so he is keeping the storage unit until he comes back.  At that time he will get a proper apartment & kitchen, and he will want this stuff then. 

Anyway, if I dare to give away his precious stuff...woe betide me!

Took a forum break just now to bring 2 empty boxes down to the recycle bin and move 4 packed boxes* into the storage closed on my back deck.  I uncovered an outlet that I suspected existed, but couldn't find.  That means I no longer need the extension cord running across the room in order to charge my phone overnight, but still have it close at hand as it is my alarm clock.  WIN!

*Holiday 1, holiday 2, camping, cat crate.  Will turn my attention to these later on.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #686 on: May 11, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »
This is really pathetic but I am so excited! I purchased two new laundry baskets from Walmart and they are collapsible! I have 3 giant clunker ones that are a pain to store and they are going bye, bye! Two are in perfect shape and I have Vietnam Veteran organization doing a pick up here on Tuesday so will include the two good baskets. The one that is my favorite is cracking and pinches your fingers...so that one will get chopped up and thrown in the garbage.

I must live in a very special world where a collapsible laundry basket was the highlight of my day! LOL! It is a space saver though!

Here it is! https://www.walmart.com/ip/PO-BSKT-COLLAPSE-1-6/126266179

In the context of this thread, this is exciting!  The vets will be happy with their baskets & you will be happy with your new baskets too!  And the broken, pinchy basket goes to the trash like it should.

@Swish you just motivated me to put some things I was planning to sell into the donate box!  Ha!  Your post reminded me how much I dislike trying to sell things.  I'm so glad it works for you...nice little side hustle!

@firelight I was composing while you posted...your post started with a win and mine ended with one.  This tickles me.  Great work on the decluttering in the last 10 months!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:04:19 PM by oneday »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »
So some of you know that I clear other people's places for money. I just did an awful one. They'd moved overseas in a hurry and there was so. much. stuff. left behind. 75% of it was junk and I rehomed most of the rest. I have no idea why they hung on to so much crap eg rusty pans, linen with moths etc etc but it made me sad that this stuff was just stored til it was unusable by anyone. I assume time constraints meant they couldn't deal with it while they were packing. Bonus tho: I found collectable crockery from the 60s that's worth $.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #688 on: May 12, 2018, 12:45:25 AM »
Big wins today! Giving away cloth nappies (a type I was given as a hand-me-down), oil pastels, New Scientist magazines and toys - neighbours and almost-neighbours (found via Buy Nothing) all so thrilled with the items. Great!

Not decluttering in the sense of getting stuff out of the house, but I have spent some time today boxing up too-small baby clothes to put in the attic until we have a small baby again. Perhaps not surprisingly this has made me feel rather emotional and nostalgic. I don't have a tiny baby anymore.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #689 on: May 12, 2018, 04:12:23 AM »
Today is Mailman food collection day for the foodbanks. Collected up a bunch of food that has limited best buy dates. Some are good for a long time and some are good till August. So now a bunch more stuff is leaving the house. I ended up throwing some foods out that had expired and it made me pretty mad. Cash in the trash...But, at least I have a very generous pile of usuable food to donate today!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #690 on: May 12, 2018, 06:40:00 AM »
Roadrunner53,
We did the same thing here:  checked our pantry for extra food along with any food close to expiration date.  (our local food bank actually accepts canned and boxed food up to one year after expiration date but the flyer for today's collection didn't say that so I'm sticking with not-yet-expired food)
A great way to help the community and also clear out the pantry.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #691 on: May 12, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
LaineyAZ, wish that was the case on the dates because some were not long expired. Like some were only about two months and one expired today!

I used to work for a food company and we did food storage studies. We knew our product would last longer than the date we decided upon but  due to falling nutritional numbers we had to choose an expiration date sooner. Not that much but if you claim the product has so much Vitamin such and such you have to provide that amount. Over time, product does lose flavor, vitamins, nutritonal values and color.

My Hub has got a real thing about expiration dates on products. I keep telling him that the thing is not going to self destruct and turn green and rotten in front of his face due to the expiration date being off by a few weeks. He will throw the stuff in the garbage. He has gotten a little better about it and I can convince him sometimes the item is okay! Some things like canned tuna or canned meat I don't play games with but dehydrated onion soup or green beans in a can are not scary! Unless, the can is dented then I might toss it. I don't have that much expired stuff but every once in a while it happens. LOL!

There have been stories on the news on expiration dates, best buy dates and other dates and they said it is very confusing to the consumer and I think they are supposed to come up with better verbage to put on food items.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #692 on: May 12, 2018, 08:39:36 AM »
Today is Mailman food collection day for the foodbanks. Collected up a bunch of food that has limited best buy dates. Some are good for a long time and some are good till August. So now a bunch more stuff is leaving the house. I ended up throwing some foods out that had expired and it made me pretty mad. Cash in the trash...But, at least I have a very generous pile of usuable food to donate today!

We have the same. Made me feel good in a way- we only came up with 4 things we likely won't use. 1 pack of pasta, 2 cans salmon, 1 can smoked oysters. So at least the pantry has stayed pretty well in control. Can't always say the same about the freezer, ahem.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #693 on: May 12, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »
I had a bit of a think about the idea of being a natural cleaner, or like someone suggested above, that everyone could be if they had less stuff. With that in mind I took a critical look at the stuff that is always left behind in the laundry basket, and I ended up purging over 50 items. About a dozen were odd socks, whose buddies have been missing for eons. Add in some jackets that don't fit, a few out dated work blouses, two pairs of shoes I never wear (and if I do hurt my feet), plus some odds and ends from the kitchen. Hopefully that will keep things a little easier to control, and thus keep clean.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #694 on: May 12, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »
@Yasha you really took that advice to heart & put it to good use!  Would be nice (if you wan to, if you remember) report back here is a month or so & let us know how you are feeling about it.

Tossed the address labels with Mr. & Mrs. Oneday (we are divorcing) and our old address.  Felt good! 

I am recovering one of the cat scratch posts, and got one of the pieces (which took all evening a couple weeks back to remove) cut, and in just a few minutes, too.  Tossed the old piece, even though I'm not ready to attach the new piece yet.  It's just a rectangle!  Why would I need to keep it?  Also, why do I feel slightly bad for getting rid of it while the project is not complete?

ETA: how could I forget?  I got those two boxes of kitchen crap into Mr. X's storage unit.  I am thisclose to having a moving company to get my stuff out, so it's time to stop thinking of it as "our" storage unit.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:42:04 PM by oneday »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #695 on: May 13, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
The TV went to it's new home! Now, some day, I need to get rid of the light fixtures that were here when we moved in. I sold the two chandeliers really quick after we replaced them all, but the god awful mock french country side sconces are still living in the top of the office closet. Pro: they prevent crap accumulation there. Cons: they're ugly and doing nothing. My hangup has been I want to sell them- they're good quality, just incredibly not to my aesthetic liking, and didn't produce enough light for the dimensions of our house.

I'm also coming to accept that I actually DO need to bring some items into our home. Old Costco cardboard boxes do not make adequate item storage for the garage shelves. I really need proper totes, ideally with clear sides, that are an appropriate size. It's impossible to go through stuff there right now without pulling everything down off the shelves.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #696 on: May 13, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »
Tuesday Vietnam Vets organizaiton is picking up another load at our house. We just counted the giant black garbage bags and we have 15. Last time they came was about a month ago and we got rid of around the same amount...15 giant bags full. Starting to put a dent in things around here. I can actually open some drawers and there is space! That is never the case in this house!

One time we went to Florida and we shopped at this place that had these exotic bird figurines. We bought around 4 and they were pretty large and in boxes. Then we bought more 'crap'. Well...now we have no way to transport these things back home so we bought two gigantic and I mean gigantic suitcases to put our treasures in. We then had to juggle our other clothes and things. We were like maniacs with all these suitcases on wheels! My Hub was swearing up a storm with all this crap! LOL, somehow we got all this stuff home. The gigantic suitcases were real crapola and only cost about $19 a piece. So the other day I emptied out one suitcase of some hobby junk that I had not used in several years and am donating some of the craft stuff and the giant suitcase. I still have one more suitcase filled with clothes that needs to go too!

The Hub had a giant bag of socks he donated! Probably 50 pair!

Living in one house for 43 years is not a good thing! I am so happy to get rid of this stuff! Plus, I mentioned in another post that I just bought these collapsible laundry baskets and they take no room at all when flattened down! LOVE THEM!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #697 on: May 14, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
Daughter cleared out her play house to make it more teen hang out - and all the stuff we put in there last fall had to come out. 
Some of it really just needed to go straight to Goodwill.
Next weekend is Freecycle in our town so we will get that stuff out at the curb for the weekend and then what is left goes to the dump or goodwill.
The basement is looking so much better.
Need to work on clearing out the kitchen a little more.  I am slowly finding things and saying "why do I have this?" and then putting it in the box in the garage.  Or I break something and say 'oh well" but don't need to replace it. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: May 14, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
I FINALLY ran various errands which resulted in stuff leaving the house. Donated some unneeded paint (2 gallons, 1 quart, 2 pints) to the local theater group. Mailed the big box. Took care of official paperwork, so now I can put it away.

Will take the light fixture to Habitat's Restore tomorrow as they are not open today. Have a bunch of stuff scheduled for this week - on PTO :) so working through the to-do list.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #699 on: May 14, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
Vietnam Vet organization called to confirm pick up tomorrow. They asked how many bags and I told them 15. They said 15 was the maximum for one pick up so WHEW! Glad I didn't get too gung ho! I still have a gigantic suitcase full of the Hub's clothes. I was going to sell them on ebay but BLEH to that!

Will have to donate that suitcase/clothes next time.