Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 26925 times)

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #550 on: April 16, 2018, 11:24:52 PM »
Sitting in the waiting room for the doctor and I purged 7 loyalty cards from my wallet (two of them for the same place!)... I’m starting a challenge where you declutter 1-30things each day for 30days, so expect to see me around here frequently :D

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #551 on: April 16, 2018, 11:39:27 PM »
Completed a school unit today, including exam, so put all the pages (text and notes) into recycling. Really have to trust that I know that stuff now (because I do).

I'm doing my best to keep four chairs for other people's sakes, but realized yesterday that they don't all need to live in the main part of the house. Moved two into the spare room nearby, making the main area *and* spare room look much better!
what a waste of a window i say

mspym

• Stubble
« Reply #552 on: April 17, 2018, 02:49:25 AM »
This week I should be handing over a kid's bike that our family has outgrown to a friend, which will cut down the bike stash even more. Soon I will only have one (1) bike and one that will eventually be mine once boys outgrow it.

2 more books to go to the free library.

One day I will go through my bag collection and donate a whole bunch - I've definitely donated ~20 in the last two years and the influx has been staunched (no more gazingus pin) so whittling away at The Stuff.

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #553 on: April 17, 2018, 05:09:42 AM »
Ended up doing 55things today in a bit of a flurry. 7 loyalty cards, 8 books, 4 measuring cups, 2 bowls, a plate, a egg splitter, a broken spoon, a fruit thingy that is meant to go in a water jug, 4 handkies, a skirt that doesn't fit, 6 nail polishes, two sleep supplements that I haven't used in five years, two lipsticks, two concealer sticks, a handful of beads, a pair of dried contacts, a cookie tin, a pair of cake tray plate things and two calculators.

Roadrunner53

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #554 on: April 17, 2018, 05:57:12 AM »
I have a collection of old perfumes that I never use. They are still good but maybe I will donate some of them.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #555 on: April 17, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
I still have my wedding gown (1972) and my matron of honour dress from my sister's wedding (gorgeous dress, looked a lot like Kate Middleton's wedding gown) and a horrible bridesmaid dress from my best friend's wedding.  They are all massively dated, I should find a vintage shop.  I also have a gorgeous black velvet evening coat, perfect for wearing to a formal.  I wore it to formals in University, and it has sat in my closet ever since.

DD tried on my wedding dress, it was way to small for her.  I was smug,  Really, it is because she has a full bust and I was pretty flat-chested back then.  Plus she is 3" taller so our body proportions are different.

I still have my veil.  DD was going to wear it, but the dress she bought needs a totally different veil, so it is still sitting in its box.

These may be some of the last things I declutter, hard to let go.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Roadrunner53

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #556 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:00 AM »
I have no one to hand the wedding dress to and it is dated. It has been in the back of the closet for almost 47 years in a zip bag. It is hard to get rid of it just because I have had such a nice long marriage. It almost seems like a bad omen to get rid of it! LOL!

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #557 on: April 17, 2018, 03:50:02 PM »
How many of you still have your wedding dress, shoes, headpiece/veil? I do...Have not looked at it in years and couldn't fit into it either. I don't even think the shoes would fit! Got married in 1973! Do you think it's time to let it go? LOL!

I rented my dress.  Veil was made by a friend: white headband with some tulle & "silk" flowers glued on.  I didn't mid tossing that when the event was over, as it was to her taste & not mine.  I wouldn't have even had a veil, but the groom wanted me to have one.  Sandals were Payless specials...they gave me a blister & I tossed them right away.
A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #558 on: April 17, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »
I have no one to hand the wedding dress to and it is dated. It has been in the back of the closet for almost 47 years in a zip bag. It is hard to get rid of it just because I have had such a nice long marriage. It almost seems like a bad omen to get rid of it! LOL!

I tell you what, not having a wedding dress in the back of a closet really has no bearing on my marriage ending in divorce!!!

Jornal is now here

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #559 on: April 17, 2018, 05:36:29 PM »
My husband dropped off a carload at the thrift store. He's doing amazing things in the garage.

Right now I'm only really helping by not buying anything.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #560 on: April 18, 2018, 02:20:25 AM »
Decluttered another 50odd things today - mostly empty pots after tipping all the dead plants into the compost, plus a few boxes of tea which I was able to combine together. How do I have so much junk?

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #561 on: April 18, 2018, 04:29:32 AM »

A friend of mine painted her wedding dress green. It has a nice effect on the various fabrics. I have seen her wearing it once to an opera.

mspym

• Stubble
« Reply #562 on: April 18, 2018, 05:47:51 AM »
My wedding dress was a nice linen Laura Ashley dress I found at the Vinnies the weekend before we got married. Now it's on the sewing pile to be turned into a top, because I am Too Messy to be a white linen dress person.

Bike successfully delivered! 10 more ebooks deleted from my library, two actual books in the pile to go to the free library.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #563 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
My wedding dress was a nice linen Laura Ashley dress I found at the Vinnies the weekend before we got married.

Now that is planning your marriage carefully. :-)))

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #564 on: April 19, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »
The cycle of clearing out clutter starts again for me!  Excited! 

I unpacked 1 whole box from my recent move, lol.  Used that box to be the donation box, and put in 3 garments that I had used as packing material when packing said box.

Also tossed a pair of shoes which were not that old, but both the uppers & the sole were showing wear (especially the sole).  I feel like the shoes I've bought recently have worn out quickly, so I'm going to start tracking when I bought them & see how long they last.  Does anyone have any good sturdy-yet-comfortable shoe brand recommendations? Does not need to be "thrifty", TIA.

Jornal is now here

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #565 on: April 19, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
I wear Bogs most of each year. They freakin' rock, and if they wear out, the company sends you a new pair!

Got to help a neighbour declutter for some hours today!!!!!!!!!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! #favouritething
what a waste of a window i say

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: April 19, 2018, 03:58:42 PM »
My Rockports (men's) are going fine after at least 8 years.  My Bogs boots are finally giving up the ghost this year, and I have had them for nearly as long.  They were my main winter boots the last few years.  My Ecco sandals look almost new and I have had them for years as well.  Good shoes last, and most can be resoled.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: April 19, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
Thank you @jooniFLORisploo and @RetiredAt63 for quick & useful recommendations!

Jornal is now here

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #568 on: April 19, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »
This month I organized lumber in the basement so it was all in one place instead being trip hazard piles all over. Which meant that I emptied a big shelf of OTHER stuff and turned it into a wood storage rack and am slowly nibbling through the newly liberated boxes & piles.

So far I've weeded 2 shoeboxes full of photos & a large tote of memorabilia and have kept enough to fill 15 scrapbooking pages. Next up 3 more large totes of kid art, journals, precious relics from child hood. <groan>

Had to take a break from looking at paper to do something real: Cleaned the kitchen counters, repaired the grout and sealed it. It looks so much better!

diapasoun

• Bristles
« Reply #569 on: April 19, 2018, 10:44:20 PM »
I shredded a pile of old papers today. Beautifully freeing. Goal for tomorrow is to put some books in some nearby little free libraries.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: April 19, 2018, 11:29:12 PM »
Wow everyone you are inspirational! I hope to use your ideas for looking at the many ways to get rid of things that pile up without our noticing.

It's about the time of year when I do a bi-annual "turn my tiny flat upside down" and switch over from winter to summer:
* Linens
* Clothes
* Shoes

I live in a subdivided micro-apartment. Everything's as vertical as possible, most is dual purpose. Clothing is mostly rolled Kondo-style into slender bookshelves at the foot of my bed. A few easily-wrinkled items are hung on a small rack next to it. Socks and unmentionables are rolled then stuffed into a shoe holder on the side of bookshelves. Scented toiletries and often-stinky shoes share a tall shoe shelf with door, about the same size as the bookshelf. Twice a year I pack up clothes/winter linens/shoes, then remove everything from the Japanese-style overhead storage and camphor trunks and do the switch-over. If I don't devote an entire day to it, it can take a week! I've been putting it off but can't for much longer. Your posts are giving me hope ;)

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #571 on: April 20, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »
I managed to sell a set of dog clipper combs (attach to the clippers to allow custom-length haircuts) that I didn’t end up liking. I found it easier to freehand after all. I added a set of dog nail clippers to the ad, since I had upgraded to a style that was easier to use. I receovered most of my money and they’re out of the house. (Aside from MAKING money on something, this is my favourite kind of decluttering!;)

Now, what else can I list... can’t have ‘nothing’ for sale!
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Yasha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #572 on: April 21, 2018, 05:24:48 AM »
Purged an enviro bag full of paperwork, a handful of beach rocks (in a bag now  to go back the beach), a few sets of earrings, a bag of ‘to repair’ clothes that have been in that bag for over a year, two books, a set of juggling balls and a bag of rubbish... starting to slow down a little bit but have three days off this week and looking forward to digging a little deeper into the layers of declutterable ‘stuff’.

Cali

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #573 on: April 21, 2018, 06:24:56 AM »
I’ve been listing things online and have made some really decent money doing it.

This photo from a RetireBeforeDad.com motivated the heck out of me.