Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1254290 times)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
Threw out two magazines. Lots more to go. I thought about selling them, but then considered the hassle of it all.

Our local senior center has a magazine rack just for donated magazines.  I donated about 20 issues of various magazines this week.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »
Mr Happier agreed with me that a present received for Baby Ewok is just a bulky and annoying white elephant, so I get to list it on Buy Nothing today! Yay! I love listing crap we don't need and seeing it disappear :D

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2018, 02:44:23 AM »
I just came back from a walk where we dropped off two books into the little free library. We'd picked them out of a free pile somewhere else, read and then returned. I like to think we are part of the little free library circulation system, moving the books to new streets. (and we did get 4 more books, but they will go back once done.)

I also sent to recycling a folder's worth of workshop handouts (three years ago, never opened again!) and an out of date textbook on qualitative analysis. I am whittling it down, particularly as I am getting better at not letting stuff in, thanks to the two other challenges I am in.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
Kudos to the folks who have the energy to sell their things, most recently MrsDinero & MaybeBabyMustache. 

In the final clean out for the flooring guys last night, found out that we had been keeping several decorative items that neither of us liked.  I thought he liked those things!  Sigh.  Well, they are in the donate box now & slated to be gone tomorrow.

Took out the trash which mostly full of things like the length of cable TV wire that the cable guy installed years ago for no reason...it was attached to the wall but nothing else.  It was under the bed all this time or I'm sure it would have been gone already (or at least I like to think so). 

New flooring today, then we stage the condo for sale.  I'm hoping to achieve a clean, minimal look and maintain it while it is on the market, even on days we don't have showings.  It will be hard to convince the STBX of this, but I'll give it my best effort.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
A friend posted on FB that she was looking for denim for a craft (I assume a quilt as she needed to be able to make 7” squares). My (her?) lucky day! I had 7 pairs of jeans in the “get out of the house” pile, but no idea what to do with them, as they were too worn out and not patchable in key areas. As I’ve said, I love when things can be repurposed rather than just tossed.

They’re in a bag and will be gone on Monday! (I don’t need replacement jeans... haven’t shopped in more than three years and still have too many pairs.)

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:35 PM »
One thing that has been helping me lately is using Smart Closet (a wardrobe app) because I can see *what I actually wear*. Turns out that in warm weather when I'm not working, I want to wear comfy shorts all the time. Maybe for you, it would demonstrate that you wear yoga pants every day of the week and never wear your other pants. I'm not buying clothes this year, so I will keep putting up with imperfect shorts (one pair too short; one pair too loose around the waist) but when I do buy clothes again, I will do a better job of buying what I will actually wear based on my app data. I think it will really help me declutter and replace when the time comes.

Hey @HappierAtHome! Good to hear that you are finding that app useful. I'm doing another pass through my closet with that data too. There are things I know for sure I have not worn for 2+ years even though they fit and although I have been trying to keep things in use. It might be time for them to go. I'm obviously not a white button up shirt wearing person as much as I think I am.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2018, 10:55:03 PM »
One thing that has been helping me lately is using Smart Closet (a wardrobe app) because I can see *what I actually wear*. Turns out that in warm weather when I'm not working, I want to wear comfy shorts all the time. Maybe for you, it would demonstrate that you wear yoga pants every day of the week and never wear your other pants. I'm not buying clothes this year, so I will keep putting up with imperfect shorts (one pair too short; one pair too loose around the waist) but when I do buy clothes again, I will do a better job of buying what I will actually wear based on my app data. I think it will really help me declutter and replace when the time comes.

Hey @HappierAtHome! Good to hear that you are finding that app useful. I'm doing another pass through my closet with that data too. There are things I know for sure I have not worn for 2+ years even though they fit and although I have been trying to keep things in use. It might be time for them to go. I'm obviously not a white button up shirt wearing person as much as I think I am.

I'm so glad I asked you about it! I love having the data on what I actually wear and my cost per wear.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2018, 04:18:22 AM »
I'm going to have to get that app!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:48:33 PM by Mezzie »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2018, 04:36:06 AM »
I'm going to gave to get that app!

It's free :D

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »
I downloaded that ap, but I'm not sure how to get the info on my (insanely huge) wardrobe into it.  A lot of it I bought at thrift stores.  It looked like if I could put the brand/style in it would work, but I'm not a brand name kinda person.  I'm stuck at the starting gate.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »
I downloaded that ap, but I'm not sure how to get the info on my (insanely huge) wardrobe into it.  A lot of it I bought at thrift stores.  It looked like if I could put the brand/style in it would work, but I'm not a brand name kinda person.  I'm stuck at the starting gate.

There's a "take photo and enter your own" option.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »
Now there's an incentive to declutter - remove clothes so you have less to input to the app that helps you declutter ;)

I'm the same - some of my clothes are very very old bought new, or v old from ebay, a couple handmade (not by me!) so it's in the too hard basket to upload right now. The turning the hanger around type method is a better fit for me because I tend to wear something to death or never wear it.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
Today I donated to Goodwill -
a set of scrubs someone gave me that don't fit,
scrap booking supplies I won't use again
a wall clock
trench coat I never wear anymore
Which freed up about 1 cubic foot of space

Threw out a pair of exercise pants that I had worn for a painting project and are too messed up to wear now

When i got home I found more items for the donate bag -
a quilt and pillow sham
set of sheets
decorative pillow

which, when I get rid of them, will free up about 2 cubic feet of space in my apartment

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2018, 10:39:05 PM »
I'm gradually culling my wardrobe. Again. I've been ruthless in the past but a) I've put on a bit of weight so some of my old clothes no longer fit*, b) some clothes now have some pretty negative associations (eg wearing them through cancer treatment *shudder*) or c) I'm not the same person as I used to be.

There is a massive glut of secondhand clothing in my city (and possibly globally, from what I've learnt from some articles I've read), and some op shops are problematic for me these days (eg ones associated with certain religions that conflict with my personal values). So it's a bit tricky to know what to do with them. I'll suggest another clothes swap with the group of friends that do them from time to time, otherwise I will donate them to a charity whose values I can live with (I don't love all of their values but there is enough alignment that I can live with donating to them). Worst case scenario, I'll donate them all to the reuse/recycle shed at the rubbish tip where they give away all donated clothes for free (which tells you how much of a glut there is of secondhand clothes).

*my weight has fluctuated a lot in the past 10 years. I've learnt that there is no point keeping clothes just in case I lose or gain weight because fashions change but most importantly, my body is never the same shape even if I go back to the same weight so old clothes rarely fit again, even if I don't care about fashion. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 26, 2018, 01:08:07 AM »
Listed several items on Buy Nothing, including some unwanted gifts and some items that used to have sentimental value but which I am apparently now able to release.

I've learnt that there is no point keeping clothes just in case I lose or gain weight because fashions change but most importantly, my body is never the same shape even if I go back to the same weight so old clothes rarely fit again, even if I don't care about fashion. 

I have this issue with bras. If I go up or down in size I never seem to end up a size I've been before. Super annoying!

Having a capsule wardrobe helps me with this issue, because clothes have a chance to get worn out before they either don't fit in some way or start looking really wrong. But I know capsule wardrobes aren't for everyone.

There's a "take photo and enter your own" option.

Most of my clothes are several years old, so I used the option BJ notes above. And you don't have to put in a brand name, though there is a field for it, when you enter data about each item.

I have (mostly) just added items as and when I've worn them. I'm only up to 29 items worn in roughly six weeks, and that's with needing to change my top at least once a day due to copious baby vomit.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 26, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »
I somehow managed to fill another trash bag full of clothes.   I feel like no matter how many bags I fill there will always be more in the closet!  I finally realized I don't need any more than 5 pairs of each sock type I wear.  This has made a dramatic difference in my space. 

Does anyone have an idea of what to do with corporate type t-shirts?  I have about 8 t-shirts that have my corporate logo on them.  Some have my company nick name on them too.  I don't wear them, but I feel weird sending them to the thrift shop, because they are so specific to me. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »
I somehow managed to fill another trash bag full of clothes.   I feel like no matter how many bags I fill there will always be more in the closet!  I finally realized I don't need any more than 5 pairs of each sock type I wear.  This has made a dramatic difference in my space. 

Does anyone have an idea of what to do with corporate type t-shirts?  I have about 8 t-shirts that have my corporate logo on them.  Some have my company nick name on them too.  I don't wear them, but I feel weird sending them to the thrift shop, because they are so specific to me.

Workout shirts, painting clothes, give them to a new employee, dusting rags, rag carpet, stuff a dog bed with them, give them to kids to make stuffed animal clothes out of... those are the ones I can think of for now =)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:26 AM »
Make a tee shirt bag. 

I am not a fan of the knotted bottom. I would sew the bottom with a straight stitch.

http://www.instructables.com/id/No-Sew-10-Minute-T-Shirt-Tote/

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2018, 08:33:49 AM »
If you donate to a large place like Goodwill or Salvation Army, they turn most of the clothes into rags anyway.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »
My desire to toss makeup that doesn't suit me is at odds with my desire to not fill landfills with my garbage any more than I already am. Not to mention being pissed off at myself that I spent money on makeup that doesn't suit me!

I guess ultimately the empty container gets trashed regardless....

Any tips on getting over that guilt? I should just do it. Have been forcing myself to use up a lipstick I really don't like as it's a high-end brand. Caught a glimpse of myself in a store mirror yesterday and thought, "oh good lord, that is NOT flattering in the least."

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »
My desire to toss makeup that doesn't suit me is at odds with my desire to not fill landfills with my garbage any more than I already am. Not to mention being pissed off at myself that I spent money on makeup that doesn't suit me!

Any tips on getting over that guilt? I should just do it. Have been forcing myself to use up a lipstick I really don't like as it's a high-end brand. Caught a glimpse of myself in a store mirror yesterday and thought, "oh good lord, that is NOT flattering in the least."

If the makeup has already been purchased, it's trash whether it is in your house or in the landfill. Eventually it is going to the landfill.

Many places take makeup back. That doesn't help with the trash problem, but at least you could get something more flattering.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:38 AM »
Sold clothes ($10.50) at Clothes Mentor/Plato's Closet and donated the rest.  Felt good to get rid of stuff I never wear! 

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2018, 10:19:31 AM »

Many places take makeup back. That doesn't help with the trash problem, but at least you could get something more flattering.

It's half used and the original packaging is long gone, though. I have taken stuff back before to Sephora, but in those cases it was used once and I still had the box. Lesson learned - keep the box until I'm sure I like it, and don't convince myself that the color will grow on me or that I'll learn the right technique to apply something that's too dry/too wet/too shiny/too dark/whatever the issue is. If I hate it, take it back right away. Sephora has never questioned me.

But you're right; it's either going to get thrown out empty, or thrown out full. I should just bite the bullet and pitch it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »

Workout shirts, painting clothes, give them to a new employee, dusting rags, rag carpet, stuff a dog bed with them, give them to kids to make stuffed animal clothes out of... those are the ones I can think of for now =)

I use that stuff for working on the house/yard. Last summer, I was changing shirts 2-3 times a day depending on what I was doing. Painting is part of what I'm doing.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2018, 10:58:47 AM »

It's half used and the original packaging is long gone, though. I have taken stuff back before to Sephora, but in those cases it was used once and I still had the box. Lesson learned - keep the box until I'm sure I like it, and don't convince myself that the color will grow on me or that I'll learn the right technique to apply something that's too dry/too wet/too shiny/too dark/whatever the issue is. If I hate it, take it back right away. Sephora has never questioned me.

But you're right; it's either going to get thrown out empty, or thrown out full. I should just bite the bullet and pitch it.

The sooner you pitch it, the sooner you'll get free of the guilt and self-recrimination. Do it!

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »

Try posting it on a FB buy nothing group. What is no good for you may be perfect for someone else. Some people won't mind that it's used and it's saving a little bit of trash. Win win.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:34 AM »

Try posting it on a FB buy nothing group. What is no good for you may be perfect for someone else. Some people won't mind that it's used and it's saving a little bit of trash. Win win.

+1 I have given away several makeup items via Buy Nothing.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2018, 07:17:27 AM »
@Tris Prior  This may not helpful to decluttering per se but it could be a way to use up and rescue the shades you don't like... blend lipstick colors.  You can also make lip gloss by melting a bit into some vaseline.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/191385-how-to-blend-your-own-lipstick-shade-according-to-a-celebrity-makeup-artist
http://stylecaster.com/beauty/repurpose-lipstick/

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »
Threw away all the swimsuits with dead elastic or that got too stretched out while pregnant.  Took the halter tops to consignment- they hurt my neck so I can't wear them.

Now I have 1 swimsuit, so I need 1 more I think.

nosythecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2018, 12:35:45 PM »
Cleared out most of apartment storage by selling full size mattress, sold plastic dresser drawer, Bowflex Max Trainer, Office Chair, TV, misc. workout equipment, and computer. Thew out bed frame, odds and ends junk that couldn't be sold.  Took many things to Goodwill as well.

It feels great to be rid of what you don't need, and even better if you can sell it!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2018, 01:49:52 PM »
Over the weekend:
4 kitchen chairs
Cat tree that my cats were never interested in
wicker basket with cushion for cats, ditto

We put them on the front lawn with a "Free" sign. Someone came and took everything within an hour!

Husband also dismantled and trashed/recycles THREE torchiere lamps that we haven't used since we moved here 13 years ago.

For us, the current decluttering is not so much about getting rid of stuff, as getting rid of stuff that doesn't work for us. The dented filecabinet that's hard to open, the rickety desk, the ugly but working lamp that we might need someday, etc. We are bringing in replacements--so we'll end up with about the same amount of stuff. But the new stuff is convenient, practical, and solves a lot of our storage and work space problems. The office *feels* less cluttered because things can now be put away instead of lying on every surface. Getting rid of some crap makes room for something good.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
Put some things on ebay. Sold some DVD's today! YAY!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Donated 3 more empty plastic milk crates that a tenant had left behind in the backyard.  Goodwill takes these. 

There were 26 (!) originally and we're trying to empty them out and recycle or junk the contents as we can.  I think we're down to 10 left to do.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2018, 03:58:00 AM »
I have taken in use my new winter shoes that I bought some time ago. I had continued wearing my old shoes off for many months. Now I am wearing the new ones, but I'm not really ready to throw away the old shoes yet. They might come in handy now and then. But I will remove them to a cupboard to prevent the hallway from having more shoes standing in them.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #234 on: February 28, 2018, 08:44:56 AM »
My neighborhood has a yard sale each June - 200-plus households. It costs $10 to participate. I'm seriously thinking about it. What's stopping me is that we don't have any covered space to set up in if it rains - even the front stoop doesn't have any kind of an overhang. We *may* be able to borrow the garage that is on the property but used by our landlord. He can park on the street for 1 day, yeah? We can at least ask.

I'm concerned that we wouldn't sell $10 worth of stuff, though. Especially if it storms and no one comes.

WWMD?

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
Local community choir is having a garage sale fundraiser. Yay! 9 board games, 2 puzzles, and 2 RC cars are leaving. We're keeping only the board games we like and actually play.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
I went through some papers at work and reorganized my books. Things look much nicer.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
I bought a secondhand electric waterbath for preserving that came with tools and a dozen jars. The waterbath is too big for any of my cupboards, waaah! Even to fit the jars I need to declutter a few more unused kitchen things... I've got my eye on some never used baking and decorating stuff.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2018, 08:24:26 AM »
Today I'll be dropping off 2 big boxes of donate items. I notice the one place doesn't open until noon, so now it's a race to see what else I can find and add to the boxes before they go out.  I also emptied 2 cupboards in awkward locations yesterday by getting rid of the recyclables in there. It was packaging from products that I kept in case of warranty returns, but now the warranty period has passed. Those cupboards will stay empty - I hate having to get in and out of them anyways.

I want to go through every drawer, box and item we own in the coming months. The landlord who lives upstairs has dropped a few hints lately that they plan to move. I don't know if that means our lease will end, or if it will just mean a new tenant upstairs from us. Either way, I'm feeling highly motivated to simplify everything. I refuse to move (or live with) anything we don't need.  We already know we could easily downsize 300-400 square feet (about 30% reduction in living space), and I think we can make even a smaller place be an uncluttered space.  I like this location though, and the price is good. Hoping we can continue to stick it out where we are, and that I will just have the benefits of this being an uncluttered space.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »
I am shredding some old journals.  They are from when I was at my worst, in counseling and  cycling through bad relationships.  Luckily that was 30 or so years ago.  I'm to the point of going through all the stuff I just tossed in a tote and moved around for all these years.  I have many, many  totes to go, but some of this counts as deep cleaning.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »
I have to jump in here.

My house is pretty decluttered - I even tackled my craft room / office this year for the first time ever. Now that I have lots of empty hangers, shelves, drawers and such, I have started to notice items that I no longer use but have value and also a few items I just would like to swap out for something different.

I have been slowly gathering items to list on my local selling sites and has sold a few small things. I don't mind donating / giving to friends/family a lot of stuff, but some items I think just make better sense to sell if they are over a certain dollar value.

So my new declutter challenge for the next few months is to sell everything I am collecting and use the funds to continue my reno or to replace a few decor items with some second hand finds (or buy supplies to make stuff)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
I have tried out a bunch of recipes from a certain cookbook and many were disappointing. So I will donate the book. The grocery store has a bookshelf at the entrance where you can donate books.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:40:33 AM by Linda_Norway »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »
The forum has logged me out & ate my last 3 posts, so I'm posting to say I got rid of stuff.  If this goes thru, I'll update with details.

Update: success in posting! 

Also success in getting rid of stuff/clearing out the front porch.  I had disassembled an old cal king waterbed frame* & placed the pieces on the front porch.  The mattress was still inside, but massively in the way.  Had been stressing as nobody was interested in it even for free, but someone took all of it today!  None too soon, as the photographer is coming Monday to take pictures for the litsing.

Also found another person to take a smaller cabinet.

Also was able to toss the plastic wrapping the new mattress came in...had used it to cover the bed frame from the recent rain.

I tell ya...that bed was stressing me out to no end.  I am so glad it is gone.  Don't know why we didn't get rid of it sooner, like last April/May when we first started the divorce.  Oh wait.  STBX had his man cave so full of his collectibles that a bed wouldn't fit in there.  Ok, I will stop kicking myself. 

If the people who took the bed also take the sofa like they said they might, then we'll have enough room in storage for the rest of the excess stuff that is here and the place will look good for showing & hopefully sell sooner!

*We both got beds of our own, nobody has to sleep on an air mattress anymore.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:10:22 PM by oneday »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: March 02, 2018, 01:45:23 AM »
@oneday It must feel like a strange situation to have to clear out and sell the house after a divorce. But it might be good to start over with a tidy new life in another house. Good luck.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »
All the stuff left! It was super anxiety ridden but we got it all to ReStore so it is really out and cannot reappear in the house. Plus the choir rummage sale donations left today too. We don't need or use any of the stuff and I predict that in about 3 months we will not remember what left.

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2018, 11:57:35 AM »
I wonder how many pounds of weight and obligation has been lifted by this thread?

Over the past couple days I've sorted & weeded 1 tote of fabric (8 more to go), 1 drawer in the filing cabinet (4 more to go) and two bins of "what the heck is in this thing" (umpteen more to go). Time for another trip to Goodwill.

My poor paper shredder is on overload!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
@oneday , I'm glad you got rid of the marital bed and got your own.  I made my ex take the master bedroom furniture when we divorced and I got the spare room set.  It would have been weird to still have that reminder, I think.

I've been divorced almost 8 years and have moved twice, and I'm still finding random little things that belonged to my ex stuffed away in closets or cabinets or boxes.  They all go straight in the giveaway bin or trash now.  If he didn't realize he didn't have it for 8 years, he doesn't need it, and I certainly don't either.  It's certainly easier to purge that stuff now, though, when the emotions are out of the picture.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2018, 12:08:41 PM »
@oneday It must feel like a strange situation to have to clear out and sell the house after a divorce. But it might be good to start over with a tidy new life in another house. Good luck.

Hi Linda, it does have some strange moments.  But I am looking forward to the next phase of life.  We have filled a 10'x10' (about 3 meters by 3 meters) storage unit & I don't miss anything in there.  I am learning I only need my bed, a comfy chair or loveseat, dining table/work surface & not much else.

@Mongoose good for your for pushing through the anxiety.  Don't let it hold you back!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »
@oneday , I'm glad you got rid of the marital bed and got your own.  I made my ex take the master bedroom furniture when we divorced and I got the spare room set.  It would have been weird to still have that reminder, I think.

I've been divorced almost 8 years and have moved twice, and I'm still finding random little things that belonged to my ex stuffed away in closets or cabinets or boxes.  They all go straight in the giveaway bin or trash now.  If he didn't realize he didn't have it for 8 years, he doesn't need it, and I certainly don't either.  It's certainly easier to purge that stuff now, though, when the emotions are out of the picture.

@formerlydivorcedmom that bed was a behemoth.  I was more concerned about the size and how much room it would take up in any apartment I would move to.  But now that you mention it, I would probably not want to keep the bed, as it would carry reminders.  I wasn't thinking of that aspect.

Heck, if he doesn't take his crap right away, I have not qualms about trashing it!!! Don't want that garbage in my home!  This was always a sore spot in our relationship.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2018, 11:43:01 PM »
This thread has been helping to keep me motivated, so I’m continuing to follow.

I have a few things listed on the local buy/sell; on Friday night someone asked about the availability of the heavy, bulky piece of furniture I really want gone and then ghosted. Gah!! I hate when people do that. I’m only asking $25 for the thing; perhaps it’s time I just change the price to $0 and hope to be rid of it. It was free to me in the first place (20 years ago!) and all I did was paint it... yes, changing to $0 NOW!!

Today I will go through a few more boxes of stuff in the office.

VICTORY!! After a few inquiries that went nowhere, then no bites for weeks, this bulky thing finally got out of my house tonight. It was a piece of office furniture with a filing drawer at each end and a sliding door cabinet in the middle, so not exactly high demand (but still reasonably useful). The funny thing is that two people were asking about it last night. I chose the one who wanted it, not the one who wanted to “have a look”.