Author Topic: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2  (Read 1282452 times)

halftimer

• Stubble
Re: Continued: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter! PART 2
« Reply #6050 on: August 31, 2022, 02:45:59 PM »
Did a few 1:1 swaps and really liking the result. We realized that our existing coffee table was too long for the space and it was actually getting in the way of me working from home (from couch). So I posted it for sale and even gave a generous discount to the buyer but since it was a really nice mid-century modern teak piece that went up in value in the 15 years I owned it - I came out ahead enough to get a simpler coffee table plus finally replace the broken TV stand and broken lamp we had been putting up with for too too many years. It's funny - the stuff doesn't make the room look very different, and it's an upgrade in some ways (less visual clutter, sturdy new pieces), but it's also a bit of a measured downgrade or way to simplify since it is things that will work better for us.

Oh, also donated a bunch of clothes, sold 2 items and rediscovered a few things I already own so I am not tempted to buy more.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #6051 on: September 01, 2022, 12:09:13 PM »
A variation of decluttering: I swapped over two of my drawers in the hopes that this makes it easier to put away multi-wear items of clothing (jerseys/cardigans) instead of ending up with a woolly floordrobe.

We are also going to take some worn out but still useable items to the house in NZ at Christmas, which has the benefits of us having a functional house to camp out in as well as creating more space in this house. I think once I get some paint on my grotty workout shirts, I’ll be able to call them done.

hehehe "floordrobe".

1,000% guilty of that.

I'm only slightly ahead of you guys, with a "chairdrobe."

No floordrobe here. But definitely chairdrobe and beddrobe. So much easier to see what your clothing options are. All safe and sanitary too.

I limit my floordrobe to whatever fits on top of the closed lid of my dirty clothes hamper. When it starts to fall over, something has to go into the hamper.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6052 on: September 01, 2022, 12:54:55 PM »
My floordrobe has dedicated hooks now and it still gives me the delightful-order chills. I need to hang another one for Kiddo's pajamas.

I read recently that people with ADHD prefer to have things out and visible and I was like, "Ah, that would explain my lifelong obsession with hanging things on hooks."

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6053 on: September 02, 2022, 10:02:42 AM »
I'm off to the second-hand bookstore to see if they'll accept my trade-ins.  If not, there's a handy Goodwill store right next door. 
Once it's out of the house it stays out of the house  :-)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6054 on: September 03, 2022, 02:39:23 PM »
Digging through clothes 'hoard' looking for a t shirt, and came across nice pair of tennis shorts I had forgotten about! No need to buy any new clothes now for my recently added activity of Pickleball.

Yes, I am one of the masses of new pickleball players storming the nation's gyms, lol. It's fun!  But I am killing my tennis shoes playing it. Oh well, that's OK.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6055 on: September 06, 2022, 07:59:47 AM »
Used up another $2.07 on my Barnes and Noble gift card on a toasted bagel with butter. Only $19 left on the card until I can throw it out and save my wallet from exploding.

I am to the point of keeping some of my cards in the glove box of my car instead of my wallet.   

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #6056 on: September 06, 2022, 08:09:08 AM »
so much stuff we had been storing for our university aged children to take with them to university left the house on the past two weeks - including a couch that we got as a hand me down 11 years ago.  Our living room is so spacious! Our basement floor is visible!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6057 on: September 06, 2022, 04:38:18 PM »
Three bags and a box of kids clothes to the thrift store today!  And another 200 items scheduled to go to the consignment dealer next week.  After this, I'm done with the sales.  Its just not worth the amount of work that goes into it anymore.  e

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6058 on: September 08, 2022, 07:34:09 AM »
Gave away a decent-quality rug (that no longer fit in the kids' room due to the aforementioned bunk beds) rather than put it out with bulk trash PU later this month.

I purchased it a few years ago from a fellow graduate student for $20, so I was happy to pass it along to someone else free-of-charge.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6059 on: September 09, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »
I deleted the stuff in my Amazon cart and purchased used instead!  I donated 1 small bag at the thrift store and purchased a robe, a flannel shirt, and 2 fall dresses for $27.  I used a pawn shop consignment type place to sell some old family jewelry that I wasn’t going to ever wear. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6060 on: September 09, 2022, 04:16:39 PM »
It's been awhile, as I've been really busy at work. I like the small & steady drum beat of giving things away, so trying to get back to that.

-Put 4 necklaces I never wear in the donation pile
-Received a book from an up & coming/popular author. Will list on Buy Nothing this weekend
-Found another brand new necklace (gift) that I won't wear. Also listing on Buy Nothing

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6061 on: September 14, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »
Finally got around to cleaning out the wallet. Consolidated 12 little pieces of paper with info on them, into one big piece of paper. Recycled the 12 little pieces. One piece of paper instead of 12, now in wallet. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6062 on: September 16, 2022, 07:59:02 PM »
Still decluttering, just not posting as often. Here's what I've gotten rid of:

A large bag full of plastic shopping bags into the recycling bin in the store
Three bags/boxes of donations to Goodwill
Three books to the neighborhood Little library
Two books out to a friend
Three clothing items mended/alterd and off the sewing table, back in the closet
A wheelie bin full of yard waste out of the backyard. Almost all of the overgrown plants are now cut back. The yard looks so much bigger and there's more usable space.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6063 on: September 16, 2022, 09:28:40 PM »
Tossed out 9 cassette tapes
Have 4 more to give to a friend that turned out to be blank after all these years. Why he wants them is a mystery, but at least they won't go into landfill.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6064 on: September 17, 2022, 12:24:57 AM »
Yesterday afternoon, inspired by the pasta shapes thread, I took a bag of bow-tie pasta and two pyrex storage containers to the community pantry in a nearby church. This normally has a decent supply of things in it but it was cleared out other than some baby-rice. So last night, I went through the cupboards and found a few more things that we really weren't getting around to eating and dropped them off too. [The previous donations had already gone]

The same walk we also put 4 books in a wee free library. The part where we will be moving country in 1-2 years has started sinking in and it's really helping with decluttering decisions and also running down the stuff we have without replacing any that wear out/break.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6065 on: September 17, 2022, 07:26:38 AM »
Finally found a bit of motivation again:
-Listed 3 items on eBay
-Put 3 items of clothing in the donation pile
-Went through more of my eBay pile, and put some fridge magnets in the donation stack

Baby steps, but nice to make some progress, after a long gap.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6066 on: September 18, 2022, 08:25:22 PM »
Tossed a fridge magnet advertising a service I use that came in the mail with the new schedule. I have the number saved in my phone, thanks, I don't need a pickup truck-shaped reminder to live on my fridge.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6067 on: September 18, 2022, 11:15:48 PM »
Four more books out to the street library. If we haven't read Guns, Germs and Steel in three years? We're probably never going to, and if we do want to? It's widely available in libraries.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6068 on: September 19, 2022, 05:35:34 AM »
Finally cleared out the 200 items that were going to the last consignment sale that I plan on being a part of.  I had originally planned on doing one last fall and one last spring, but decided that I was done after this one.  And if the hard work hadn't already been done last year when it got cancelled, I might not have done it either.  Made ~$175, so that was a nice bonus. 

FIL hired someone to come in and remove a lot of DH's rock collection this weekend.  That was bittersweet.  I think they have a better understanding of where he was mentally, but doesn't make things easier.  There are still piles of his "treasures" that I have to deal with, but I just don't know when I'm going to be able to face it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6069 on: September 19, 2022, 08:03:24 AM »
Finally cleared out the 200 items that were going to the last consignment sale that I plan on being a part of.  I had originally planned on doing one last fall and one last spring, but decided that I was done after this one.  And if the hard work hadn't already been done last year when it got cancelled, I might not have done it either.  Made ~$175, so that was a nice bonus. 

FIL hired someone to come in and remove a lot of DH's rock collection this weekend.  That was bittersweet.  I think they have a better understanding of where he was mentally, but doesn't make things easier.  There are still piles of his "treasures" that I have to deal with, but I just don't know when I'm going to be able to face it.

@Sugaree - I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know your financial situation, but is it an option to hire someone to help you with clearing out DH's stuff?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6070 on: September 19, 2022, 08:07:45 AM »

@Sugaree - I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know your financial situation, but is it an option to hire someone to help you with clearing out DH's stuff?

I can, and my in-laws have offered.  I'm not sure that I'm ready yet. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6071 on: September 19, 2022, 08:42:15 AM »
Went through the cookbooks and cooking magazines.  They are all organized and fit in their space and there is a bankers box less of them distributed between kids, free library and the blue bin.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6072 on: September 19, 2022, 10:59:48 AM »

I can, and my in-laws have offered.  I'm not sure that I'm ready yet.

And that's perfectly okay. <3

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6073 on: September 19, 2022, 05:21:14 PM »
Four more books out to the street library. If we haven't read Guns, Germs and Steel in three years? We're probably never going to, and if we do want to? It's widely available in libraries.

I got the audio version for DP and he really enjoyed it. He used to do a lot of driving and it lasted him quite a few miles.

I've gotten rid of 99% of my books by searching each one on the local library site. If they had a copy, great, I can check it out! If they didn't, great, they need my copy! :)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6074 on: September 19, 2022, 05:49:32 PM »

I got the audio version for DP and he really enjoyed it. He used to do a lot of driving and it lasted him quite a few miles.

I've gotten rid of 99% of my books by searching each one on the local library site. If they had a copy, great, I can check it out! If they didn't, great, they need my copy! :)
Oh yeah, so many books I am happy to get from the library or own as ebooks. My print collection is now books that are out of print, hard to source/replace, or never published electronically.

It's also tough because the Sydney library system is...Not Great - every council runs and sources their own collections rather than it being managed as a city's collection so there's a lot of duplication between libraries and the weird books never get bought. [why don't they want to buy and store a 1960s book on the theory of cities just for me? rude]

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6075 on: September 20, 2022, 01:08:15 AM »
A problem I have is that the library gets rid of ebooks after a while, I guess they must buy them for a period so if not enough people read them... I was going to get rid of a book but then noticed they no longer owned it (I kept it in my ebook wishlist as a virtual bookshelf). The hard copy ones don't have a big turnover.

They don't have the shopping book at mine unfortunately.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6076 on: September 20, 2022, 08:52:26 AM »
I don't know about the Australian market, but in the US the book publishers have pushed very hard for library e-book deals that are not great for the libraries. Customers really want e-books, so the libraries have mostly had to go along with them. And yeah, libraries don't get to "own" ebooks - they're essentially rented for a period of time from the publishers. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6077 on: September 20, 2022, 06:48:00 PM »
Got rid of a random household item today on Buy Nothing. Later in the day, I noticed there was apiece of sports equipment that I've been looking for, offered by someone else. I am about to embark on the retrieval trip.

At least it is one out, one in, right?

elderflower100

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6078 on: September 20, 2022, 09:51:57 PM »
I donated an older large but very nice exercise bike to the hospice resale store. It sold quickly! Felt great and now there is some space in our living area which was perfect for a happy dance!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #6079 on: September 21, 2022, 01:03:20 AM »
Donated a big bag of DD's uniforms to the school. They resell the uniforms as a fundraiser. Nice to have some closet space back.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6080 on: September 21, 2022, 08:22:58 AM »
DH is reroofing our DD's playhouse with stuff he has found in the garage.  The playhouse is a really good shed.  Once the roof is waterproof again, it is getting kitted out to hold all the garden paraphernalia.  I will go through all the hoard in the house, garage, back porch and consolidate it to just what I actually use.  Looking forward to it.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #6081 on: September 24, 2022, 02:41:29 PM »
Took a bag of random stuff to my goodwill for the last time. They're closing permanently tomorrow. The other locations in the area are wildly inconvenient for me (no car), so donating is going to get harder in the future. And thrifting, too, but that's not the point of this thread. :P

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6082 on: September 25, 2022, 10:18:22 AM »
I used up some cheerful stationery this morning for get well wishes and birthdays.  I threw out 2 dried out markers. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6083 on: September 26, 2022, 07:26:53 AM »
Recycled and tossed out a dozen tidbits from the 'do something with this' pile.

Decided to donate 5 shirts and some other tidbits I had been wondering about, and put them all in one plastic bag, which I will donate today.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6084 on: September 26, 2022, 09:01:52 AM »
Last week was super productive. Three car loads got loaded up and out of the garage. E-waste,  all the batteries and old prescriptions, donations,  old lumber scraps, large pieces of Styrofoam.  It feels so good.  And all my garden stuff is consolidated in one place.   

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6085 on: September 26, 2022, 05:16:14 PM »
My 'natural decluttering through entropy' project is continuing apace - one shirt has got the crunchy elastic cuff problem and another has developed a cluster of tiny holes on the belt-line. (Don't worry - I still have ~50 other shirts to get through.)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #6086 on: September 26, 2022, 05:32:59 PM »
When my husband was away for a few days I had a bit of a tidying effort.  Repacked the freezer, emptied the fridge of all the stuff saved for the worm farm and tidied the pantry cupboard. Ate up all the stuff that had a little bit left, enough for a meal for one but not two. Cleaned some jars of labels and gave them to the food co-op. Was able to stock the cupboard with missing staples and it still looks emptier (in a good way). Putting stuff in ordered rows makes a big difference. Made a list of meals / recipes to use up some stuff.

Bundled up my fabric recycling and put it in the car, it might stay there a couple of weeks though.  I hate that I have to walk through the mall to get to the shop that takes the recycling, seeing all that tat, bleugh. Normally I just go to the food shops on the periphery.

I got a new raincoat so now have 4. It sounds ridiculous for Australia but it's been raining non-stop (feels like) for years. One is too hot for here though so I do need to part with it even though it is super cute. That will be hard. One was free and I don't really want it so will be easy! One doesn't really keep me dry but it's good for the dog park.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6087 on: September 26, 2022, 06:40:56 PM »
Went through of a stack of eBay items, and listed them on Buy Nothing. If they haven't sold in a while, I want them out of the house. Have about ten items pending pickup.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6088 on: September 27, 2022, 07:52:49 AM »
Decluttering my TV viewing habits.

I allow myself only an hour max of watching CSPAN each morning. CSPAN is great, in my opinion, but an hour is enough. TV off, do something else, or even do nothing, but TV is off. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6089 on: September 27, 2022, 08:23:12 AM »
-Gave away 9 lanyards that my son won at a soccer camp two years ago, plus a pair of athletic pants that he's too tall for
-While going through my eBay listings, realized that a shirt will now fit my 16 y.o, so pulled that out of the pile, and added to the closet.
-I have people coming for at least four more items.
-Anything remaining will be donated asap

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6090 on: September 27, 2022, 09:25:23 AM »
Decluttering my TV viewing habits.

I like this idea of "decluttering" your schedule!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6091 on: September 29, 2022, 08:28:08 PM »
A large bubble mailer, a manila envelope, and a magazine out. The magazine was mailed to a friend in the envelope. The large bubble mailer went into the trash.

Oh, one more mailer out in returning a book to a friend.

I put one meh shirt in the Time Will Tell pile. Actually just the top shelf of my closet where I can't see it, but if I think "where is that pastel plaid shirt, I desperately want to wear it today?!" I can pull it down.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6092 on: September 30, 2022, 01:53:06 PM »
I tossed a pair of jean shorts (worn beyond repair), added several workout tops to the donation pile, and listed an outgrown husband hoodie on eBay. He wears nicer brand than I do, and lost a bunch of weight. We cleaned out his closet, and I donated almost everything, save for a few high end brands.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6093 on: September 30, 2022, 02:13:31 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, congratulations to your DH for losing weight.  I'm in a similar boat with a 31-pound weight loss and reallllyyyy don't want to go pants shopping.

I cannot believe tomorrow is October already.  Since my last post:

~The old HP all-in-one finally failed and is gone.
~I've started a major purge here at the office and have tossed 11" worth of outdated flyers, marketing materials, etc. from the bookcase thus far.
~Found an old chamber of commerce business card holder and every business card inside was no longer relevant.  Either the person moved, went to work elsewhere, or started their own business.  Tossed the holder and shredded the cards.
~The back pantry is finally decluttered and organized enough to accommodate the recent Sam's Club winter stock up.
~Finally remembered to install hooks in the back pantry in order to get the broom, Swiffer, etc. off the floor.  Looks much better.
~Another magazine will be upcycled to my sister this weekend.
~Continuing to save fresh produce scraps for the neighbor's chickens.
~Using up older baking ingredients and condiments as much as possible.
~Setting up a formal home office using things I already have on hand when applicable including a small garbage can from the very rarely used guest room and green and blue decorative items.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6094 on: September 30, 2022, 03:51:49 PM »
@MountainGal - I'm actually envious of him. He didn't really need to lose weight. He has a food allergy, so has to eat a Keto diet. It just happens that the Keto diet excludes almost all food he can't eat. He's lost 20 lbs he didn't need to lose. I'm not quite dedicated enough to go full Keto. And, nice work on all of the clear outs!

I listed DS16's Halloween costume on BN, and asked DS15 if I can get rid of his many items. Fingers crossed I can get those out of the closet as well.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #6095 on: September 30, 2022, 10:47:10 PM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, congratulations to your DH for losing weight.  I'm in a similar boat with a 31-pound weight loss and reallllyyyy don't want to go pants shopping.

Pants shopping is pants*.

*Pants = hard pants = undesirable

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #6096 on: October 01, 2022, 12:25:46 AM »
Got rid of a large bag of clothes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6097 on: October 01, 2022, 08:13:26 AM »
Giving away Halloween costumes has been approved. So far, given away: old man mask, inflatable unicorn, big bad wolf, treat bag, & all that is pending is the spooky unicorn mask. Glad to get them out of the house, and happy to have saved others money.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6098 on: October 01, 2022, 01:57:06 PM »
Yes, MountainGal, it seems like Sept 1 was only as week ago!

I spent 2 hours going through old medical and insurance paperwork that has been stacked up in a corner forever.  Was able to get rid of 75% of it, so now I have an additional 3 square feet of clean living room rug to look at.

Also decided to recycle two old tech books that no one will ever want. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6099 on: October 02, 2022, 07:13:58 PM »
I achieved a sort of milestone today.  I deleted my ad in Facebook for cardstock (thick hard paper that comes in various colors, used for crafts and all sorts of whatnot) . My girl friend left it behind. Lots of it.

I started selling it 4 years ago on Craigslist. Must have had 20 different customers. Thousands of sheets of the stuff.  Even gave some of it away.

It's finally all gone.