Author Topic: Class of 2015  (Read 92928 times)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Class of 2015
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »
Other 2015 people I've spotted around, who likely haven't seen this thread:
Upstate NYer - October 2, 2015
benjenn - July 31, 2015
earlyFI (approximately mid-August 2015)

:)

Should we secretly add them in to our list?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2015, 05:04:21 PM »
Enjoyed reading this thread, and congrats to all!

I don't think the IRP would allow me to claim I actually retired this year, as it's more of a career change (quitting PT job do double down on my homemaker duties). We're not FI yet either.

But I still like saying I am retired(ish) :P

I approve.

Even when FIRE'd we will all be using our invested resources and frugal magic powers to maintain a healthy lifestyle, like you appear to be doing in your quasi-FIREd state. The life you are living now is the one that many of us aspire to.

I figure investing your money and learning to find new ways to be frugal while FIREd will still be a form of "working".

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »
For the record, my BS bucket is certainly getting filled at work. I do want to see the end of the project I am working on through. We'll see what happens when that ends and the not-so-interesting upcoming projects start getting thrown my way. Will I be too wimpy to cut the fire-hose-of-good-income off and FIRE? Will my FIRE stash rise to the levels I want (not need). Time will tell...

I did see a job opening for an up-and-coming tech startup and briefly thought about it. Job would be much closer to home so I could do it as a stepping stone to FIRE. Sounds like a fun job. It would be the kind of role I'd like. But then I read reviews of this startup online and got queasy..people working 80 hour work weeks at a pay level lower than I make now. Then I thought...eh...just hold on a little while longer where I'm at.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2015, 10:21:55 AM »
benjenn - July 31, 2015

Nah, they can stay incognito if they want.  :)

There are a lot more of us though, I'm sure, in the Class of 2015 than is posted here, and that idea makes me happy.  So many people getting free.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »
Last day of work was anticlimactic.  Last night we had our wonderful, memorable, celebration dinner.  Later after having gone to bed, around 12:30, I woke up and felt terrible.  Thought too much to drink but only had two glasses of wine and a cognac.  My nose was stuffed up as if I had an allergy (but no known allergies).  I felt dizzy and queasy with hot and cold sweats.  Maybe I got the flu.  Maybe it was food poisoning but the restaurant is renowned and surely must be careful about germs.  Maybe I ate too much as we did order quite a bit including some very rich food like foie gras.  Maybe it was psychosomatic as I had both a work lunch celebration and post-work drinks scheduled the next day with co-workers.  Being an introvert, this makes me somewhat nervous even though they are the co-workers I like.   I had visions of dying before I reached my ER and how cruel the universe would be to allow that!  All I know is the sickness I had wasn't similar to anything I'd had before.  Eventually I was able to get to a light sleep.  But I was relieved when my husband later said his stomach wasn't feeling too good either.  At least then I wasn't being psychosomatic.

I won't ever know what went on but in the morning I still felt weak and dizzy although not as bad as I had at 12:30.  I took that as a sign of what to do... My husband drove me to work where I quickly wrote a couple emails saying I was ill,  and submitted my timesheet, then gave over my badge and laptop to security.  My husband was waiting for me in the garage and away we went.  That was it.  Later, I caught up with folks online and apologized and explained somewhat lamely that I didn't know what had happened.  I invited them to look me up if they came through Salt Lake.  Did I cop out or what?

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »
Congrats Sequim, you're done!! Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well, but I'm sure you'll be feeling absolutely wonderful Monday morning when you don't have to go to work!

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »
Thank you AlwaysBeenASaver although I was well enough to work if I REALLY wanted to, just couldn't bring myself to go through with the whole day.  Came home and then felt like I should have that laptop there, logged in, with emails to check...but it wasn't so that was a surreal moment.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2015, 09:17:20 PM »
Congrats Sequim, you're done!!

+1. That's all that matters. It would be nice if the last day was full of chapagne toasts and memories. But really it doesn't matter. You can always go back and have a nice lunch with the people you really want to say goodbye to.

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
Thanks guys.  It's true, we've eaten at many taco trucks in sketch neighborhoods and never had a single episode. Perhaps this was a mild case and luckily did not have any real bad effects from it.  Not spelling it out.............

I've been really looking forward to turning the alarm off for once and for all but Monday is our take-off day and need to get an early start, so we'll need it one more time.  Unfortunately I won't be able to make it up to the folks at work who I wanted to see one last time as I'll be leaving Washington and the only time we'll be back is to visit my sister and doing fun road trips.  Maybe I'll wave as I go by our campus although I would prefer to avoid the nasty I-405 - I-90 interchange whenever possible.  Part of our reason to leave Washington is as bad traffic refugees!

The unknown lies ahead and I've always liked new beginnings.  Good luck to all those still waiting for their day!  Eventually it happens.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
Maybe it was food poisoning but the restaurant is renowned and surely must be careful about germs. 

Read any of Anthony Bourdain's books on the restaurant industry to quickly disabuse yourself of the notion that the cost of the restaurant is in any way directly correlated with its cleanliness.  I have had some of my worst bouts of food poisoning the few times I have eaten in "higher end" establishments in Beijing, while typically suffering no problems from the neighborhood joints.

Hope you are feeling better and I agree that being able to clock out, go home, and recover without having work to worry about catching up on sounds like a great post-FIRE perk!

I will second this opinion for Sub-Saharan Africa as well...I've found some of the street vendors to be more reliable than good-looking restaurants. Basically in the developing world you have to take a chance or rely on the opinions of other people who have 'tested' the food for you first.

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »
Adding myself, who had an "F that OMY" epiphany...
I'm putting my "official notice" date of June 5 down, but in actuality the date could be 6/12 or even as late as 6/19, depending on their ability to find a new hire/training. But definitely FIRE-ing in June, sooner than later!
:-)
-The Pigeon

Forum Name - ER Date

Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
AlwaysBeenASaver - 6/5/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
The Pigeon - 6/5/15

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
I'm putting my "official notice" date of June 5 down, but in actuality the date could be 6/12 or even as late as 6/19, depending on their ability to find a new hire/training. But definitely FIRE-ing in June, sooner than later!
-The Pigeon

Congrats! What was your original plan before you F-ed the OMY? You probably had to be pretty close to be able to make the instant decision to FIRE.

This past week made me want to rethink my OMY too. I had two nights of calls due to a 12 hour time zone difference between the two offices. It really starts to frazzle my brain when I have to worry about a nighttime meeting...messes up the whole day and the day after.

One is a meeting I ran because half of my team is overseas. I don't make my local team attend these as I don't think it's worth their personal time. I meet with them during the day.

The other one is a larger audience that my manager runs. He could very easily also run two separate meetings, but he insists on having his whole team together so he alternates one week during the day and one at night. The main issue is that he is a micromanager that gets mad when certain things aren't done a certain way, without ever expressing beforehand that he wanted things a certain way. And they are measuring people's time way too meticulously, I think. Our work culture has never been like that and it seems to be changing. My team feels micromanaged when I pass down the orders from above (although I'm pretty vocal to my manager about not liking this and tell my team too).

A funny thing is that the meeting (like usual) started to run over the hour time slot because one guy's status is always waaaaaay long. I saw a couple of local people drop out of the call without saying anything. I IM'd one of the guys that did and he said I should drop off too. I actually announced my drop off just to make the point. ;-)

So then after the call I am upset and stressed over what the manager tells everyone and I have trouble sleeping which then affects my next morning.

Oh well, there is an FU money story brewing here and I am going to relish in it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:00:07 PM by Daisy »

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »
-The Pigeon
Congrats!!

The Pigeon

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
[quote author=Daisy link=topic=29358.msg671422#msg671422 date

Congrats! What was your original plan before you F-ed the OMY? You probably had to be pretty close to be able to make the instant decision to FIRE.

[/quote]

Hi Daisy!
My story is in a couple other threads with more detail, but in a nutshell, I was all set to retire in January, but a job inquiry came, and my interest was piqued. The offer came, I took it, I hate to toss out an opportunity... I hoped I'd like and enjoy it. Unfortunately, I did not.

My plan upon taking the job was to stick it out for a year and quit next April/May after maxing out their 401k for 2015 & 2016, test-drive living on my 2.3% withdrawal rate, and prepping mentally for the FIRE.

The non-enjoyment of the work, feelings of "ugh, I can't do this anymore!," and all the other annoyances of work, and the knowledge that I didn't *have* to put up with it--realizing I'm *choosing* to put off living life on my own terms to spend my precious time doing something I don't want to do, out of feelings of obligation to people who don't matter in the scope of my life... That led to calculating different scenarios where I quit earlier and earlier. Then I just wanted out NOW. The reasons I had to stay weren't going to have that much effect on the overall scenario. Why wait?

Yeah. Mostly that. I have the means, all calculations say I'll never run out of money, all those "put-off-for-somedays" waiting in the wings... if I'd just be brave for once...

No epic FU money story, just making a key realization, which I knew all along (we all do) but jumping into the unknown/untrodden path is scary. I faced the fear and did it anyway!

I work in the graphic arts field, and just last week I set my font-preview program to display a paragraph instead of a sentence. This was the paragraph it displays when you choose that option:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Having that in my face daily may have also contributed a bit of a "push"…

Wow, I'm gonna be free,
The Pigeon

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »
[quote author=Daisy link=topic=29358.msg671422#msg671422 date

Hi Daisy!
My story is in a couple other threads with more detail, but in a nutshell, I was all set to retire in January, but a job inquiry came, and my interest was piqued. The offer came, I took it, I hate to toss out an opportunity... I hoped I'd like and enjoy it. Unfortunately, I did not.

My plan upon taking the job was to stick it out for a year and quit next April/May after maxing out their 401k for 2015 & 2016, test-drive living on my 2.3% withdrawal rate, and prepping mentally for the FIRE.

The non-enjoyment of the work, feelings of "ugh, I can't do this anymore!," and all the other annoyances of work, and the knowledge that I didn't *have* to put up with it--realizing I'm *choosing* to put off living life on my own terms to spend my precious time doing something I don't want to do, out of feelings of obligation to people who don't matter in the scope of my life... That led to calculating different scenarios where I quit earlier and earlier. Then I just wanted out NOW. The reasons I had to stay weren't going to have that much effect on the overall scenario. Why wait?

Yeah. Mostly that. I have the means, all calculations say I'll never run out of money, all those "put-off-for-somedays" waiting in the wings... if I'd just be brave for once...

No epic FU money story, just making a key realization, which I knew all along (we all do) but jumping into the unknown/untrodden path is scary. I faced the fear and did it anyway!

I work in the graphic arts field, and just last week I set my font-preview program to display a paragraph instead of a sentence. This was the paragraph it displays when you choose that option:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Having that in my face daily may have also contributed a bit of a "push"…

Wow, I'm gonna be free,
The Pigeon

How on earth did I miss that you were in the graphics field? Cool! I just quit my graphic design job this year and believe me, it was scary at first, but I am doing MUCH better now. ;)

I know there are several others in the same field (Forestbound is another) on the MMM forum, and it's quite refreshing to see more folks like us from typically creative arts able to FIRE. As we're typically given a bum rap on being too right-brained to crunch numbers, it's lovely that there are some of us out there to prove the doubters wrong. You can be a creative and still be down to earth and pragmatic enough to manage your money well. :D

(and I thought I was the only one that changed the sentences in the font preview fields. I had mine saying all manner of silly things but never thought to make them inspirational... that's nifty!)

Congrats on making your decision - you're going to be so happy!!

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2015, 02:48:29 PM »
Great story Pigeon and it really resonated with me.  Your saying "will I be brave enough..."  I love that!  Yes that is how it is and there can be such self-loathing before the actual step can be taken.  And finally the job becoming so intolerable once you made the inner decision to leave.  No matter how much money, it can't make it better.  Well maybe a ton of money~

Also congrats on being a creative and able to FIRE.  I have friends in the biz and know how hard it is to stay employed.  Both friends were laid off.  One is a house-husband while his wife works and goes to school as he can't find work in his field that is tolerable and pays decently.  The other is house-sitting in her mom's house doing free-lance jobs.  I think they are both a lot happier, however, than being unhappy in the crappy jobs they had.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »

Yep, those are great realizations to have. Others at work feel shackled because they are so dependent on a job for income, that they won't stand up for their rights or work/life balance when needed.

Some friends of mine are planning a dinner on an upcoming night when my boss has one of his calls with Asia. After thinking about it, I informed him I had a "personal conflict" and would not be able to attend. Not sure of the ramifications of that, but I am not going to turn down a girls-birthday-night-out for some silly status meeting at 10pm.

I read someone on this forum mention the vague "personal conflict" excuse and I have now used it quite a few times.

I love that quote! I have a running file of quotes like these. One of my other favorites related to FIRE is:

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
It's just a day over two weeks since I left work.  We moved away from Washington and into our new state of Utah so not only leaving a job but a state so maybe that is why it seems so very long ago that we had that "old" life.  The feeling of having all my time ahead of me to myself is so liberating and exhilarating.   I've had feelings of phantom work reflexes, however.  Over last weekend I felt I needed to get things done as the weekend would soon be over before realizing, with glee, this was not the case!  My husband has been planning an elaborate breakfast (in our old life, he was the breakfast chef for the weekends) he wanted to make and when I asked him when he was going to make it, he said Monday and we both laughed when I said, "But that's a work day!".

So many people have reasons [excuses] to not do things that would benefit them.  This just boggles my mind.  As simple as saving money by putting in an expense request for your mobile phone used at work - it all makes a difference.  Why is it that people have such inertia.  And they are so easily parted from their money as witnessed by all the luxury vehicles getting driven around our old Washington neighborhood.  I've tried to encourage folks to do things differently as one of my co-workers expressed his envy of what we were going to do, but he always had excuses for why he couldn't do something (oh, my wife likes to shop so I have to keep working, it's too much paperwork to do the phone expense, etc)...sigh...

The Pigeon

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »
@Daisy:

That's an awesome quote too! Do you notice the recurring nautical theme of some of these inspirational quotes? The romance of the sea, faraway lands and discovery, I suppose.

@Sequim & Frankiesgirl,

Sometimes I think the creative fields are terrible jobs. So much stress, the niggling clients who don't know what they want, seemingly useless changes/corrections just to "justify their job," e.g. "make that 1% less magenta," expecting brilliance without think-time... all for a pittance.

Luckily, I've been a saver (many thanks to my depression-era parents and the frugality they ingrained in me), but I've made a boatload of saving mistakes. I would have done *so* much better (and gotten out faster) had there been the sort of advice now freely available on these ER blogs and this forum when I was a young pup. You young whippersnappers should count your lucky stars that you can find this sort of info with the click of a mouse.

Thankfully, I did OK, and this is my ***LAST WEEK*** (jumping up and down).

I will still be doing some freelance stuff here and there, but only if I feel like it and the project sounds fun. Other than that... It's time for *MY* art. :-D

Counting down the hours (are we there yet?), and posting on MMM on company time ;-) ,
-The Pigeon.

Casserole55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
Just found this thread. I am in this class as I went FIRE on Jan 1, 2015. I had a crazy job in public media where, through attrition, and fueled by the economic downturn, I ended up with 4 areas of responsibility, each of which could be a full-time job. I now do one of those jobs as a contractor from home. I'm still in the "pinch me, is this a dream" phase. I am so grateful!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
Just found this thread. I am in this class as I went FIRE on Jan 1, 2015. I had a crazy job in public media where, through attrition, and fueled by the economic downturn, I ended up with 4 areas of responsibility, each of which could be a full-time job. I now do one of those jobs as a contractor from home. I'm still in the "pinch me, is this a dream" phase. I am so grateful!

Congratulations. It is not a dream, this is your new real life, you have earned it.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:50 PM »
Welcome to the Class of 2015!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »
If I keep neglecting to keep my mouth shut, I'm going to be fired before I can retire at the end of the year. 

I even like my boss, but some of our policies are just fucking ridiculous.

What amuses me is how afraid for me some of my co-workers are.  Most of them are glad that I say what I do, but they seem to think we can't possibly survive without this job. 

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
I graduated :-)

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
I did it this year, does that count? My position was eliminated last fall, but it took until the end of March to process. I had my dream job teaching in an Ivy League university. Not tenure track but a solid position that it would've taken a new Dean to eliminate. Well, they hired this moron and she listened to the mongrels in  finance so the result is they eliminated my position along with a bunch of others.

Instead of looking for a new job, I'm taking my severance and calling it a day. We also sold a family apartment building for about twice what I expected it was worth ($4.55M).

BPA, why not get fired? You'll get more $$$$ that way.

I'm going to buy another property or two, put the rest in investments and I think that given that our house is paid off, my wife and I can raise our two kids and live another 50 years on that.

I bought a blood pressure meter two days ago. I'm running or exercising every day now. Gone from a 10.30 mile to a 9.30 mile in the two months since retirement. I stopped my blood pressure meds (beta blockers interfere with the running). Measured 125/79 today. Funny, that's what it was when I was on beta blockers!! I can tell my BP is way better now. Probably doing a 90 minute bike ride tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:37:47 PM by smoghat »

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
Congrats smoghat! That definitely counts in my book.

I would love to get fired or eliminated. I don't think it is going to happen though. I speak up about silly company policies all the time (similar to BPS), but thankfully, there are only a few small issues and my boss agrees with me. So we metaphorically shake our fists at corporate, and then go back to our jobs.

I don't think I could push my boss into firing me, from a moral stand point. I have no interest in essentially screwing over my clients or coworkers, which is what it would take.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »
I graduated :-)

With honors; Magna cum laude. Congrats.

Same to you Rebs and any other recent graduates. Permanent summer.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »
I did it this year, does that count? My position was eliminated last fall, but it took until the end of March to process. I had my dream job teaching in an Ivy League university. Not tenure track but a solid position that it would've taken a new Dean to eliminate. Well, they hired this moron and she listened to the mongrels in  finance so the result is they eliminated my position along with a bunch of others.

Instead of looking for a new job, I'm taking my severance and calling it a day. We also sold a family apartment building for about twice what I expected it was worth ($4.55M).

I'm going to buy another property or two, put the rest in investments and I think that given that our house is paid off, my wife and I can raise our two kids and live another 50 years on that.

I bought a blood pressure meter two days ago. I'm running or exercising every day now. Gone from a 10.30 mile to a 9.30 mile in the two months since retirement. I stopped my blood pressure meds (beta blockers interfere with the running). Measured 125/79 today. Funny, that's what it was when I was on beta blockers!! I can tell my BP is way better now. Probably doing a 90 minute bike ride tomorrow.
Sweet! Congratulations, you are in t he catbird's seat!

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »
Thanks, all!

Sadly, the new Dean was too stupid to fire me. She was only listening to the knuckle draggers in finance who said they should get rid of our class of positions. The previous year,  a co-worker said that any future Dean would be an idiot if they got rid of us since they got so much out of us for how little they paid us. Well, they found one, didn't they? His position was eliminated too so he went on to be a chair at another school. Meanwhile, the word on the street is that the program I'm teaching in is down the tubes thanks to the moron who they hired.  And I'm thrilled to be above that fray for once!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2015, 09:02:37 AM »

I won't get more money because I'm being insubordinate by questioning policy vocally, and there is no packaging out where I work.  But good suggestion otherwise. 

I plan to leave December 18, and if I've calculated it right, consequences for me before then could be a temporary suspension or anger management training which I would have to pay for myself(plenty of people who get fed up and lip off in my line of work get this stipulation).  The first step is a meeting and a chastisement and a warning that any other infraction within the next 18 months could lead to suspension and eventual termination. 

I wouldn't mind a suspension for standing up for what I believe in, but don't want to pay for bullshit anger management training. 

It is amazing the number of people I work with who feel exactly as I do and are too afraid to speak up.  I'm so grateful for FI and the ability to live fairly frugally.

88 more working days (if I don't get suspended). 

Congrats to you, smoghat.  I'll be joining the bliss at the end of December. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2015, 11:07:10 PM »
If I keep neglecting to keep my mouth shut, I'm going to be fired before I can retire at the end of the year. 

What amuses me is how afraid for me some of my co-workers are.  Most of them are glad that I say what I do, but they seem to think we can't possibly survive without this job.

I'm in this camp now as well. It can be quite fun to just express your true opinions and see everyone's reactions. In fact, standing up to the new and strange rules at my workplace seems to be my "purpose" these days. I figure it's the least I could do for the young-uns and financially-strapped co-workers at my company. I keep saying, "what are they gonna do - fire me?".

Congratulations to all of the new members of the Class of 2015!!!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2015, 02:46:59 AM »

I'm in this camp now as well. It can be quite fun to just express your true opinions and see everyone's reactions. In fact, standing up to the new and strange rules at my workplace seems to be my "purpose" these days. I figure it's the least I could do for the young-uns and financially-strapped co-workers at my company. I keep saying, "what are they gonna do - fire me?".

Congratulations to all of the new members of the Class of 2015!!!

ha ha Thanks for commiserating! 

I've always been the outspoken one, but I don't think anybody, even me, really knew how I was choosing my battles before.  I'm careful to attack ideas and not people but I've slipped on that once.  What he did to me was worse, so I'm not too worried about that. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I'll happily add my name to the list.   My original date was for 7/3... but after reading how insurance works on the ACA marketplace, I think I need to pull it back so that I can start coverage on the first of the month.

Forum Name - ER Date

Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
The Pigeon - 6/5/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
Spork - 7/3/2015 (or possibly 6/30/2015)
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I'll happily add my name to the list.   My original date was for 7/3... but after reading how insurance works on the ACA marketplace, I think I need to pull it back so that I can start coverage on the first of the month.

Since my employer-provided insurance is paid in the 1st of every month, by staying until the 2nd July is covered by employer. You may want to check on this at work.

I also wanted to clearly complete 1000 hours for another year of vesting in pension and SS calculations.  6/30/2015 may count as 1000 hrs, I was too lazy to optimize that to the last minute.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »

Since my employer-provided insurance is paid in the 1st of every month, by staying until the 2nd July is covered by employer. You may want to check on this at work.

I also wanted to clearly complete 1000 hours for another year of vesting in pension and SS calculations.  6/30/2015 may count as 1000 hrs, I was too lazy to optimize that to the last minute.

I'll try to check... though these types of questions are sometimes wormholes that are difficult to get any data out of.

I don't have a pension... so that's out.

I thought SS was calculated on earnings though, not hours.  Am I missing something?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2015, 10:30:33 AM »

I'll try to check... though these types of questions are sometimes wormholes that are difficult to get any data out of.

I thought SS was calculated on earnings though, not hours.  Am I missing something?

Re: SS  - this is something I heard from someone else and I didn't investigate much. Maybe a year with < 1000 wouldn't count when they select your 35 highest earning years (no matter the earnings)? I think they use 35 yrs., but I haven't checked this recently.

earlyFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »
benjenn - July 31, 2015

Nah, they can stay incognito if they want.  :)

There are a lot more of us though, I'm sure, in the Class of 2015 than is posted here, and that idea makes me happy.  So many people getting free.

Just found the thread. Happy to add my name to the list. I will give notice the end of July, my last work day will be Aug 12, 2015, my official last day of work is Aug 14, 2015 but I will far away in the PNW on a beach enjoying day 2 of my first post FIRE vacation  ;)

This is a pretty supportive group. I have been reading posts from most of you under other threads, what a great bunch of people. Happy to be free in 2015!!

Forum Name - ER Date

Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
The Pigeon - 6/5/15
EarlyFI - 8/14/2015

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2015, 06:51:29 AM »

Forum Name - ER Date

Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Iris lily 4/1/2015
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
The Pigeon - 6/5/15
EarlyFI - 8/14/2015

Weird I haven't come across this thread before now. SOmeone upthread did mention me, but I added my name to the list. I'm nearly 3 months into fire. It's nice. :)

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2015, 08:19:02 AM »
Congrats and welcome to the new additions to our class!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »

Re: SS  - this is something I heard from someone else and I didn't investigate much. Maybe a year with < 1000 wouldn't count when they select your 35 highest earning years (no matter the earnings)? I think they use 35 yrs., but I haven't checked this recently.

And...... JUST LIKE YOU SAID:  If I work July 1, I'm insured all month.  Thanks G-dog.

I'm also replopping my name in the class list as it seems to have plopped out. 

Forum Name - ER Date

Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Iris lily 4/1/2015
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
The Pigeon - 6/5/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
Spork - 7/3/15
EarlyFI - 8/14/2015
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2015, 03:08:53 PM »

And...... JUST LIKE YOU SAID:  If I work July 1, I'm insured all month.  Thanks G-dog.

Yes! SCORE! I am glad this info was useful!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »
How come there was no 2014 thread? That would have been fun. ;)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
How come there was no 2014 thread? That would have been fun. ;)

It is not too late! Start one, it would be interesting to see.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2015, 03:39:22 PM »
Heh...2014 FIRE'ees are so YESTERDAY. :)

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2015, 12:44:03 AM »
Gave notice today. Wife and I are going to take an extended trip in the truck camper to start our new life free from the cubicle!

Forum Name - ER Date

Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Iris lily 4/1/2015
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
The Pigeon - 6/5/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
Spork - 7/3/15
AlexK - 7/17/15
EarlyFI - 8/14/2015
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
[/quote]

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
Welcome to the class, AlexK!

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »
I've added DH and myself to the list!  50 days (and 32 work days) to go!  Woo-hoo!

Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Iris lily 4/1/2015
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
The Pigeon - 6/5/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
Spork - 7/3/15
AlexK - 7/17/15
BenJenn - 7/30/15
EarlyFI - 8/14/2015
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »
Welcome to the class, BenJenn!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Heh...2014 FIRE'ees are so YESTERDAY LAST YEAR. :)

Fixed that for you.  ;)

Gave notice today. Wife and I are going to take an extended trip in the truck camper to start our new life free from the cubicle!

Congrats, buddy!  MIL going to stay and watch the house?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Added Caserole on.

Casserole55 - 1/1/15
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Iris lily 4/1/2015
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
The Pigeon - 6/5/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
Spork - 7/3/15
AlexK - 7/17/15
BenJenn - 7/30/15
EarlyFI - 8/14/2015
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: June 23, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »
Congrats, buddy!  MIL going to stay and watch the house?

Yes! MIL moved in but she will watch the house and pets while we are gone, even paying $300/mo rent. We were thinking we couldn't travel until the pets died (cat is stubbornly healthy too), but it worked out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!