Author Topic: Class of 2015  (Read 92926 times)

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
Re: Class of 2015
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2015, 07:43:32 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. It wasn't too much to ask for...

I can't wait for your first post on your blog as a FIREd man. (not that I'm rushing you)

I have a suggestion. I realized DOOM backwards is MOOD. So your new post-FIREd persona could be changed to the (the good) MOOD DR. It seems like DOOM won't fit your new lifestyle. Just saying...

Next post finishes up the last week at work (it's probably 70% done) and the one after that will start getting into how things feel now that I'm not working.  Really short answer, though, is that it's good.  Tremendously good.  I know it's just a phase and the high will go away as I adapt to the new normal, but right now I'm glowing and really happy. 

RE: name change -- DOOM always fits DOOM's lifestyle, now and until the end of time.   
DOOM 4 EVR!!  Muuaah-hah-hah-hah.... ;)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »
On my end...a really good coworker announced he's leaving and got another job. Everyone is a little shocked.

I asked him if he tried to finagle a layoff severance package before he left. He said he had mentioned it to his boss and his boss laughed. He didn't get a package. I guess they knew he was leaving anyways.

So then he tells me that from the sounds of it, there may not be a big layoff any time soon. As he said it, he was hoping those of us in the conversation got happy as a result of hearing that. Not me! I pressed a little further and said "so no layoffs soon?". I guess that's what he heard from above.

Bummer! That was what I was looking forward to. It looks like I need to rethink my timing here.

The problem is that the higher ups are making it such drudgery for the rest of us, that many of the young people are leaving on their own. As a result, there will be less need for a layoff as they can cut costs by just accepting the attrition. My FIRE plan in 2015 is in danger...

I still have some hope that a major change is coming (and there is good reason to think that) and I hope to squeeze in a layoff in the next year or two when that happens. Either that, or my international and energy stocks better start performing well again. That darned strong US dollar is killing my investments.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »
Congrats doom. I've been reading the blog but don't think I posted there.

I'm sure you've been thinking about it much longer, but I've been anticipating your FIRE since you posted 10 months ago about your wife being more on board. Good stuff to see it materialize. Hoping I can join the fun in a few years.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks C (and ARS, and NiCE too)

I'm still following your story, too (probably will always follow it -- in addition to your own well-written updates, it also generates a lot of valuable side conversations, very cool).  I love to see the steady progress, so I have absolutely zero doubts that you'll be there soon.  It's energizing to see other people kicking ass and moving toward their own goals with consistency and dedication.  Very inspiring.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
Bummer! That was what I was looking forward to. It looks like I need to rethink my timing here.
Funny.  But wouldn't a package only count for a few months, anyway?  Or do you have a crazy amount of compensation built up due to a large number of years with your company?

I hear you about the attrition.  That's lame -- so not only does your current work environment get worse because:  fewer workers, but also you can no longer get laid off.

If it makes you feel any better, you sound like a really good person and a conscientious worker, so it's hard for me to believe you'd be targeted in a layoff, even if your company did decide to do some cutting.  Might be best to consider non-layoff focused plans? 

Re: Energy stocks -- they'll come back up, eventually.  Current valuations are a result of OPEC manipulating the market, plain and simple.   It isn't as though planet Earth magically acquired more oil.  It remains a finite and expensive resource. 

I won't make any predictions regarding international stocks, but just stick to whatever AA you've decided on, don't make any moves, and you'll do fine over the long term.  That's what I love about passively investing via indexing:  It's a lazy person's dream come true, which is perfect for me.

Because I will soon be testing the boundaries of lazy.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
Funny.  But wouldn't a package only count for a few months, anyway?  Or do you have a crazy amount of compensation built up due to a large number of years with your company?

That's a good point.. if you were hoping for 3 month's severance, but aren't going to get it, doesn't that just push back your timeline by 3 months?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »

I hear you about the attrition.  That's lame -- so not only does your current work environment get worse because:  fewer workers, but also you can no longer get laid off.

If it makes you feel any better, you sound like a really good person and a conscientious worker, so it's hard for me to believe you'd be targeted in a layoff, even if your company did decide to do some cutting.  Might be best to consider non-layoff focused plans? 

Re: Energy stocks -- they'll come back up, eventually.  Current valuations are a result of OPEC manipulating the market, plain and simple.   It isn't as though planet Earth magically acquired more oil.  It remains a finite and expensive resource. 

I won't make any predictions regarding international stocks, but just stick to whatever AA you've decided on, don't make any moves, and you'll do fine over the long term.  That's what I love about passively investing via indexing:  It's a lazy person's dream come true, which is perfect for me.

Because I will soon be testing the boundaries of lazy.

Thanks for the nice words.

Well depending on the package, it could amount to either 4-5 months of pay (on the low end) or twice that (if the really good packages come out). I have a lot of years of service. It may not sound like much, but it could be between 1 and 2 years of expenses, depending on the package. So I had figured it would be a good transition into FIRE for those first two years.

I guess I don't like to leave any money on the table. There were so many layoffs in the past two years that I thought it would be a waste to leave without taking some of that severance money. Say you leave and a couple of months later a really good package was offered. It's happened to others that retired right before the big voluntary package a couple of years ago.

That's why I said I'd have to revisit my plans. I'll have to see how my investments do into the end of this year and next. Unfortunately, I just got on the indexing bandwagon this year. I have a lot of my money in some international investments that had done really well from 2008-2011 or so, but then have stagnated. So I've been a little reluctant to sell them at a "low" and invest in the US market right now at a "high". I guess you can say I've hit my sequence of returns risk in my international investments and want to let them recover before converting them to the index funds. They are quite diversified so I know when the US dollar takes a break down they will recover.

I guess I feel I'm really on the edge of FIRE and should probably really wait One More Year (I know...blasphemy on this site). So I thought being offered a severance package would be the kick in the pants I needed. Even if I wasn't totally ready for FIRE, I'm almost there and would accept the package and move on.

I also want to wait until the project I am on finishes up later this year/beginning of next year. I don't want to leave in the middle of it even though I'm not really fully invested in it. I guess it's that old responsibility thing and seeing things through.

I have a feeling that timing will tie in perfectly with my investments recovering...maybe fate has it planned that way.

I was trying to take the "easy way out" by having a layoff opportunity at work instead of me going through the mental and emotional exercise of deciding to quit. I will probably have to reread your blog to get the motivation to do it. I guess you can call me a weenie...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:24:31 PM by Daisy »

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
Daisy, here's something else to think about. I have a friend who has been absolutely miserable in her job for over 5 years. She's a techie in Silicon Valley and could easily find another job in her field, but she doesn't want to leave layoff money on the table. Her company has periodic layoffs, but she's never been selected/accepted as a volunteer. Kinda similar to OMY, except it's more like "one more layoff", waiting to be one of the chosen ones. I think reevaluating and choosing a date you can FIRE w/o layoff money is a good plan; if you get a layoff before then, well great! If you don't, you have a date to count down to and if you stick to the date you're not stuck in "one more layoff" land forever :-)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »
Daisy, here's something else to think about. I have a friend who has been absolutely miserable in her job for over 5 years. She's a techie in Silicon Valley and could easily find another job in her field, but she doesn't want to leave layoff money on the table. Her company has periodic layoffs, but she's never been selected/accepted as a volunteer. Kinda similar to OMY, except it's more like "one more layoff", waiting to be one of the chosen ones. I think reevaluating and choosing a date you can FIRE w/o layoff money is a good plan; if you get a layoff before then, well great! If you don't, you have a date to count down to and if you stick to the date you're not stuck in "one more layoff" land forever :-)

Great advice! Yes, that's why I need to reevaluate my plan.

The "Big Layoff of 2013" timed just perfectly with my discovery of the MMM blog. I got so many great ideas from it. I moved, became mortgage free, and drastically cut my expenses. I wasn't eligible for the voluntary layoff of 2013 but it's what kicked me into action to plan for the Next Big Layoff and be ready to accept a voluntary package. So that's where my head has been over the past couple of years.

Now that I've prepared myself to be in a position to accept such a package, I was patiently waiting for it to arrive. It still could happen as some major things may be changing at my company. But I realize I need to think beyond that and now prepare for the possibility of leaving on my own.

And then I got put on a project that conveniently takes all of this year to do.

I've noticed in my life I get the yearning to do something, I try to take action to make it possible but run into some roadblocks, then I wait patiently, and then usually through some other mechanism I hadn't even thought of, things just happen to line up to give me what I wanted. It's kind of hard to explain typing these words here. We shall see what the rest of this year and beginning of next year hold for me.

I also have a big expense in my condo building due at the end of this year. I knew about it when I bought the place a year ago and have the money saved for it...but I guess I just want that big expense out of the way mentally before I'd feel comfortable pulling the plug.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:09 PM »
And an update on myself, as long as I'm in this thread.

I'm planning to give notice on May 18th (!), with my stated last day being May 29th. If they convince me they'll use my time wisely, I'll be willing to stay until June 5th.

I've been struggling all year with "letting go" of a good income but I've finally overcome that. I'm bored to tears with my project this year and unhappy with the projects I see for myself later in the year. I finally realized recently that even if I wasn't going to FIRE, I would not continue working at this particular company. So in that case, I may as well give FIRE a try.

So yeah, less than 2 months left, yikes!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »

I'm planning to give notice on May 18th (!), with my stated last day being May 29th. If they convince me they'll use my time wisely, I'll be willing to stay until June 5th.

I've been struggling all year with "letting go" of a good income but I've finally overcome that. I'm bored to tears with my project this year and unhappy with the projects I see for myself later in the year. I finally realized recently that even if I wasn't going to FIRE, I would not continue working at this particular company. So in that case, I may as well give FIRE a try.

All right!

I sympathize with the part about seeing boring projects in your future...sounds like my situation. I'll be gladly reading your announcement on May 18th!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:30:22 PM by Daisy »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »

Congratulations! I struggle with leaving the highest paying position I will ever have too - but this job is killing me one way or another, so it must die first.
I hope your last few weeks go well!

Carlos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »

I can't wait for your first post on your blog as a FIREd man. (not that I'm rushing you)

I have a suggestion. I realized DOOM backwards is MOOD. So your new post-FIREd persona could be changed to the (the good) MOOD DR. It seems like DOOM won't fit your new lifestyle. Just saying...

Next post finishes up the last week at work (it's probably 70% done) and the one after that will start getting into how things feel now that I'm not working.  Really short answer, though, is that it's good.  Tremendously good.  I know it's just a phase and the high will go away as I adapt to the new normal, but right now I'm glowing and really happy. 

RE: name change -- DOOM always fits DOOM's lifestyle, now and until the end of time.   
I've been following your blog recently Doom and can't wait to see your first post-retirement entry. Very well written!

I believe I'll be joining the class of 2015 as well by accepting a severance package this year. I'm transitioning out of my current role (replacement already on-board) and the company has given me 90 days to find an internal opening or take a package. After 14 years at the same company I think it's time for a change in my life. I just don't have the motivation and patience for the corporate ass-kissing and politics.

I'm 43 and now FI (especially with the severance which would equal about 2 to 3 years living expenses). Perhaps I'll  get another job but I'd like to take time off for the moment.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
Methinks we should have been doing this list-style, like E-R.org does.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/class-of-2015-a-66921-24.html

Yes!  How about a sticky in the Post-FIRE subforum?  (I once suggested something similar in the "forum ideas" section, but got no takers.)

Sorry for crashing your thread, given that in all likelihood my own FIRE won't commence until 2018 (assuming I don't contract a case of OMY syndrome (or herpes, for that matter)).

Sounds like a great idea...not sure if I'm up to creating the list.

And welcome brooklynguy. Who knows, I might be crashing my own thread if I end up FIRE'ing in 2016 instead. I don't have a fixed FIRE date. I'm stubbornly waiting for a sweet severance package...in addition to letting my international funds recover a bit....that stubborn US dollar is not helping. I am trying to diversify my funds a little more, but they took a hit the last few years. The wonders of indexing (I am now learning the benefits).

Okay, let's start it in-thread for now.

I thought about gleaning ones from earlier in the thread, but they may have changed, so I just started with the two I'm sure of:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum Name - ER Date
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15

Anyone feel free to cut and paste that into a reply, and add in your own (and use the latest one when you do so), chronologically, whether you've already FIRE'd this year, or are planning on FIREing later in 2015.  If you don't have an exact date, but are doing it this year, add your name to the bottom with TBD.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2015, 01:23:36 PM »
I guess I feel I'm really on the edge of FIRE and should probably really wait One More Year (I know...blasphemy on this site).
I was trying to take the "easy way out" by having a layoff opportunity at work instead of me going through the mental and emotional exercise of deciding to quit. I will probably have to reread your blog to get the motivation to do it. I guess you can call me a weenie...

OMY is not blasphemy to me.  If there's one thing that working through my own OMY has taught me it's that people approach the leaving very differently based on personality, background, experience, and their relationship to their current employer (or vocation.)

The only person I've ever pressured to quit immediately was Brave New Life and he doesn't even visit these forums.  It's one of those things -- when you're ready, you know it.  If you're not ready, and you have logical reasons for not being ready, that's fine.  I'm confident that you'll work through it and make the choice that's right for you.  It's not as though you're ignoring the issue -- it's the opposite, in fact: you're carefully considering your options. 

I like your more recent posts though where you're hinting you'll make quit plans that are unrelated to a potential layoff.  I think that's healthy and removes the 'limbo' factor that seems to be present. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
The only person I've ever pressured to quit immediately was Brave New Life and he doesn't even visit these forums.

I miss BNL's posts.  Hope your blog doesn't get as neglected as his.  :)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2015, 05:22:09 PM »
THE CLASS of 2015 --The List------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum Name - ER Date
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15

Anyone feel free to cut and paste that into a reply, and add in your own (and use the latest one when you do so), chronologically, whether you've already FIRE'd this year, or are planning on FIREing later in 2015.  If you don't have an exact date, but are doing it this year, add your name to the bottom with TBD.  :)[/b]

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
THE CLASS of 2015 --The List------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum Name - ER Date
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
AlwaysBeenASaver - 5/29/15 or 6/5/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15

Anyone feel free to cut and paste that into a reply, and add in your own (and use the latest one when you do so), chronologically, whether you've already FIRE'd this year, or are planning on FIREing later in 2015.  If you don't have an exact date, but are doing it this year, add your name to the bottom with TBD.  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:37:40 PM by AlwaysBeenASaver »

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15

Adding Frankies Girl, whether she likes it or not :)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA- 12/18/15

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2015, 06:01:58 PM »
Just clarifying: this is just for FIRE individuals, right? FI doesn't qualify?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »

I'm not one to limit free expression. Feel free to post here.

But I guess it is a place to gather one's thoughts as one makes the grand decision to FIRE or not in 2015.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2015, 06:23:55 PM »

I've been following your blog recently Doom and can't wait to see your first post-retirement entry. Very well written!

I believe I'll be joining the class of 2015 as well by accepting a severance package this year. I'm transitioning out of my current role (replacement already on-board) and the company has given me 90 days to find an internal opening or take a package. After 14 years at the same company I think it's time for a change in my life. I just don't have the motivation and patience for the corporate ass-kissing and politics.

I'm 43 and now FI (especially with the severance which would equal about 2 to 3 years living expenses). Perhaps I'll  get another job but I'd like to take time off for the moment.

Just when I thought I was getting over waiting on a severance package to make my decision to FIRE, someone comes along and states they got a severance package and decided to FIRE. Sigh...my timing is always wrong...

Just kidding, congratulations Carlos! 2-3 years of living expenses is no laughing matter. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Now I need to go back and read Doom's blog to take the severance thoughts out of my mind.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
Daisy - TBD

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

Yeah, the "I pulled the plug!" list.  :)

Feel free to start a thread on hitting FI!

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
Nah, I'll cheer for you guys from over here. You rock!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »

THE CLASS of 2015 --The List
Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15

Adding Frankies Girl, whether she likes it or not :)

LOL! I saw this thread a little while ago, and kept meaning to post here. :D
Thanks for adding me!

It's been quite surreal so far. I just posted in my journal thread about getting a courtesy call from my workplaces' 401k rep at Fido to discuss retirement planning and future workplace account options. I think I threw her for a loop telling her I already knew what I wanted to do and I wasn't planning on working anywhere again - retired!  :)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

Looks like Daisy missed my post, so I thought I'd add it in.  Hope this isn't an omen that I won't be on this list this year.  ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2015, 08:50:27 AM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

Looks like Daisy missed my post, so I thought I'd add it in.  Hope this isn't an omen that I won't be on this list this year.  ;)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
lol  I'd better be back in the game.  Seven fights at school today.

I'm exhausted.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2015, 05:08:32 AM »
Yay Lhamo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2015, 07:12:21 AM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
lhamo -- 6/15/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day draws near!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »
Congrats, Carlos!

jexy103

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
I am very far from my FIRE date (as in 6-8 years away), but I'm in the middle of a pretty big life transition, and I can relate to a lot of you who are counting down your last months, weeks, or days at work. I'm moving to a foreign country, but taking about four weeks off work before I arrive. My boss has already transitioned many of my responsibilities to other employees. Now, I have one big project that I'll see through to May 4, and the rest of the pay period will be wrapping up odds and ends.

I feel so much less stressed about work stuff knowing that my responsibilities have been culled and that there's an end in sight. I also CAN'T WAIT until I have a month off from work, and no obligation of job searching hanging over my head (have another one lined up already). It's only four weeks, and I can't decide how to spend them. I can read some books I've been looking forward to, spend more time learning the language of the new country, spend more time with family and friends, stay up late and sleep in late (night owl here), go on hikes, go to the beach... the list is endless. Unfortunately, my vacation won't be, and this fact makes me even more anxious for my FIRE date.

I'm envious of everyone who is close enough to have a FIRE date (or even a FIRE year), but I know you've all worked very hard to be where you are financially. I've enjoyed reading your posts here (and Dr. Doom's "notice" blog article) and I can't wait until it's my time for real. Maybe in a few years, I'll be the one starting a Class of 20XX thread! :-) Until then, I'll be cheering you on through the ups and downs of 2015. :-)

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
I can finally contribute to this thread as we now have a date!~

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
lhamo -- 6/15/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooh I like that I got a triple 5, that must be a good omen.  Sometime on that date I will walk away from work.  Well I hedged a little as I'm trying to be approved for an official personal leave of absence because I wanted three months of health insurance at my current low rate. 

Feeling a little scared and having stache-envy.  Some folks have huge staches!  My husband went for a voluntary layoff a couple months ago but I've waited to get in those last few paychecks until we sold our home.  The home now has a solid offer and due to close May 29th.  We plan to move to our new mortgage free home, leaving on Monday May 18th.  Our stache after the home closes and we get those proceeds will probably be just under 1 mil.  So we will have an income from that we will draw on.  My husband intends to get a real estate photography biz going.  I'm just looking forward to exploring my options for awhile - gardening, reading, biking. I may look for some kind of work once my leave is over.  We have to see what kind of expenses we will have and whether our projected stache income will be enough for most things.  But since we want to be ski bums and travel, we will probably need some kind of actual work to pay for that.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD
lhamo -- 6/15/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15

FIRE & loving it :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »
Carlos - 4/30/15

How'd the last day go?!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2015, 05:09:11 PM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
AlwaysBeenASaver - 6/5/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

I updated mine, my date is looking like 6/5 now, boss will be out during the week I had been planning to give notice.

I hope no one minds that I moved a few names around above to get them into date order.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2015, 05:25:58 AM »

Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

I updated mine, my date is looking like 6/5 now, boss will be out during the week I had been planning to give notice.

I hope no one minds that I moved a few names around above to get them into date order.

Congrats!  Thanks about putting the dates in order.  :)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2015, 08:18:08 AM »
I'm so close to joining the class of 2015. I hope to go PT for a year or two after FI and I am VERY tempted to pull the trigger somewhere around the end of the year. It will likely be a little premature, but not a huge risk. Picking up slightly more income the first few years is not at all a problem.

So I won't be full RE, but I'll follow for inspiration.

Carlos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
Carlos - 4/30/15

How'd the last day go?!

How are you arebelspy? I liked your interview with Joshua over at RPF.

it's funny how when you are at the point of leaving something you remember more the positive experiences than the negative. I felt a bit sad at my going away dinner after hearing all the nice things my team had to say. I will miss them. My partner told me he saved all the text messages I've sent over the past few years complaining about work in case I need a reminder. I'm told they are hilarious.

Officially I'm still employed at this point but am in a bridge period of 90 days after which my severance package kicks in. IF I wanted to I can apply for internal openings/transfers in this period. Yesterday I met with the lady in HR to review the severance package and discuss my job search. I was pretty open with her that I really want to take some time off at this point (I said a year and didn't mention FIRE). She was in agreement that that would be what she would do if she was in my place.

Incidentally the severance is about 25 to 35% more than I was estimating so my nest egg can continue to grow over the next 3 years before I even need to tap into it.

So I've got zero responsabilities at work, no direct reports, NOTHING. So far it doesn't seem real. I've been at home meeting contractors for quotes on some home repairs, done the grocery shopping and cleaning and yard work. I'm going to phone a personal trainer today recommended by a friend and start a fitness routine. On to new and better things. The lack of stress has been WONDERRFUL.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
That's awesome, love to hear stories like that.  Congrats!  :D

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2015, 12:15:39 PM »
I've been at home meeting contractors for quotes on some home repairs, done the grocery shopping and cleaning and yard work. I'm going to phone a personal trainer today recommended by a friend and start a fitness routine. On to new and better things. The lack of stress has been WONDERRFUL.

Carlos, that sounds great, congrats on having freedom now to do these things! I'm looking forward to some similar things - even cleaning! And I'm really looking forward to having time for yard work without skimping on things due to lack of time!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »
Carlos - 4/30/15

How'd the last day go?!

How are you arebelspy? I liked your interview with Joshua over at RPF.

it's funny how when you are at the point of leaving something you remember more the positive experiences than the negative. I felt a bit sad at my going away dinner after hearing all the nice things my team had to say. I will miss them. My partner told me he saved all the text messages I've sent over the past few years complaining about work in case I need a reminder. I'm told they are hilarious.

Officially I'm still employed at this point but am in a bridge period of 90 days after which my severance package kicks in. IF I wanted to I can apply for internal openings/transfers in this period. Yesterday I met with the lady in HR to review the severance package and discuss my job search. I was pretty open with her that I really want to take some time off at this point (I said a year and didn't mention FIRE). She was in agreement that that would be what she would do if she was in my place.

Incidentally the severance is about 25 to 35% more than I was estimating so my nest egg can continue to grow over the next 3 years before I even need to tap into it.

So I've got zero responsabilities at work, no direct reports, NOTHING. So far it doesn't seem real. I've been at home meeting contractors for quotes on some home repairs, done the grocery shopping and cleaning and yard work. I'm going to phone a personal trainer today recommended by a friend and start a fitness routine. On to new and better things. The lack of stress has been WONDERRFUL.

Congratulations Carlos. Kick back and enjoy!

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2015, 07:49:35 AM »
Forum Name - ER Date
Frankies Girl - 3/06/15
Gallygirl - 3/10/15
Dr. Doom - 4/10/15
Carlos - 4/30/15
Sequim - 5/15/15
PeteD01 - 6/1/15
arebelspy - 6/4/15
lhamo -- 6/15/15
G-dog - 7/2/15
BPA -12/18/15
Daisy - TBD

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2015, 07:52:58 AM »
Congrats, PeteD01, not much longer!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »
Other 2015 people I've spotted around, who likely haven't seen this thread:
Upstate NYer - October 2, 2015
benjenn - July 31, 2015
earlyFI (approximately mid-August 2015)

:)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »
Other 2015 people I've spotted around, who likely haven't seen this thread:
Upstate NYer - October 2, 2015
benjenn - July 31, 2015
earlyFI (approximately mid-August 2015)

:)

Iris lily
Miss Prim
I think they also FIRED this year.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
Enjoyed reading this thread, and congrats to all!

I don't think the IRP would allow me to claim I actually retired this year, as it's more of a career change (quitting PT job do double down on my homemaker duties). We're not FI yet either.

But I still like saying I am retired(ish) :P

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
This thread is awesome (even if it is an E-R.org ripoff :) ). Those of us who retired in 2014 and earlier need more people to "play with" during normal working hours.