Author Topic: Class of 2015  (Read 93018 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Class of 2015
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 11:26:43 PM »
Has anyone used the cfiresim calculation website to see how well the portfolio would do?  I see that if I were to retire now with what I believe to be a comfortable enough income that cushions me above what my expenses are for myself then according to the website my success rate is 98.95%. The other nice thing to think about is that any withdrawals from stock index funds in taxable account which result in long term capital gains have no federal taxation if one is within the 15% tax bracket. I would consider retiring this year, but I'm still a bit afraid to do so, and therefore will still save some more money for a few more years. I'm self-employed but probably have trouble letting go of this working lifestyle. It's a lot to consider.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »
Arghhh....Looks like I'm going to be class of 2016. Turns out my new boss is awesome, my staff are great and I have too much autonomy to give up a package worth over $200K per year. I really thought I was going to hate this year....but I don't! Guess I'll be making my FIRE plans for 2016. All the very best for class of 2015.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 06:06:32 AM »
I had mostly a good week at work this week, especially yesterday. I started having second thoughts of my rush to FIRE. I'm being put in charge of a project with definable goals and mid-term duration until the end of the year. What am I nuts? I make a great salary. I have a long life ahead of me.

Today was a whole other story and I started wondering if I'd make it the whole year. The commute (arguably the worst part of working) was horrendous and some misunderstandings at work made me wish it was just gone.
I just caught this post and wanted to say that I strongly relate to the cycling of feelings you've described.  You have a nice, slow week at work with some interesting stuff to do and a good amount of control and direction and you feel like:  This isn't so bad, especially for the pay.

But then you have a couple of bad days in a row and get really itchy again. 

I've come to believe there's never a perfect time.  If you quit when things are interesting and sane you may feel like you left a place that was too good to be true, and you were a fool to leave.  But if you quit when things are busy -- or maybe not busy, but instead just crazy, like politically or in terms of interpersonal relationships (read: crappy coworker flare-up or similar) you may feel like your company got the better of you and you left impulsively, and that's not a great ending either.

In the end I think you're either ready or you're not.

'Course I'm not exactly qualified to give advice on quitting, being that I haven't done it yet and I've had my own issues with OMY.

That being said, I'm itchy right now and I hope to stay that way for the next month leading up to my departure.  Can't wait.

I've been keeping a private journal full of ranting about work on the days that it is bad as a reminder to myself on the good days.  I'm also saving emails that I've sent to my former colleague who did my job before I did and who transferred out. While all is not rosy at her new location, she no longer has to deal with the toxic bullshit that I've been living.  I'm hoping that reading the journal and the emails helps to counter OMY.

I've decided that increasingly I do not like the person I am when I am dealing with work stress. 

I'm also on Day 2 of a migraine. 

303 days...

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »
Has anyone used the cfiresim calculation website to see how well the portfolio would do?  I see that if I were to retire now with what I believe to be a comfortable enough income that cushions me above what my expenses are for myself then according to the website my success rate is 98.95%. The other nice thing to think about is that any withdrawals from stock index funds in taxable account which result in long term capital gains have no federal taxation if one is within the 15% tax bracket. I would consider retiring this year, but I'm still a bit afraid to do so, and therefore will still save some more money for a few more years. I'm self-employed but probably have trouble letting go of this working lifestyle. It's a lot to consider.
Sounds like you are good to go!

I tried it. If I put in my frugal budget I get 100% success. If I put in my spendy-pants budget I get 93.81.  I didn't put in any values for SS, so if it still exists when I'm eligible, that will be an added buffer.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:16 AM »
Count me in - target July 3, 2015.
Trying to avoid OMM - one more month syndrome.
Congrats on picking a date!

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
Has anyone used the cfiresim calculation website to see how well the portfolio would do?
The other nice thing to think about is that any withdrawals from stock index funds in taxable account which result in long term capital gains have no federal taxation if one is within the 15% tax bracket.

I'm a big fan of history-based calculators like cFIREsim, FIRECalc.  Most people (correctly!) consider a percentage above 95% as 'done' and ready to FI -- congrats. 

But many other people -- myself included, so this isn't a jab or anything -- are almost comically risk-averse and immediately try to cover the remaining 'failure' percentage in order to get to 100%.  You can cover it in many ways, e.g. committing to doing some PT work over the course of your retirement if it looks like you're getting a lousy sequence of returns, working an extra year before pulling the plug, etc. 

My only suggestion if you're planning on quitting soon is to more carefully map out your plan to take distributions so that you reach a better comfort level.  And to your point, taxes are expenses, and must be accounted for as part of the spending totals when you use those calculators.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:14 AM »
I've decided that increasingly I do not like the person I am when I am dealing with work stress. 
Yes, completely understand.  I'm normally pretty mellow myself, but when stuff gets piled on at work, I get edgy and sometimes behave badly and then feel terrible about it later.  (I have some unfortunate type A aspects in my personality that lie dormant until certain stress triggers occur, at which point I get really intense and wacky...)
When these events happen it's a reminder to pull back from work if possible (take a vacation day and do something enjoyable to switch gears and decompress) because I'm too involved and need to disassociate.

Re: journal, I think that's great.  There's a lot of science to show that we humans are wired to forget painful events in favor of donning rose-colored glasses to view our pasts.  But now you have documentation to remind you how actually perceived your working life when you were moving through it.  Nice!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2015, 08:18:24 AM »
Dang, ARS, I'm sorry to hear that.  Are you going to be all right with working if she isn't? Any concerns about relationship dynamics?  Just curious, as the whole single-FIRE thing can be a point of contention for some couples (but not all, obviously.)  Here's hoping you can find a way to make it happen.

Yeah, I don't care.  I don't see why that would be an issue.  I like my job, which is why I do it.

But it's also tempting to say fuck it, and have us both quit.  Very up in the air if one or both (or - very unlikely - neither) of us will be done in June.
It sounds like you've either hit or are very close to "your number." Perhaps you can both quit in June with a plan to pick up something shorter term during next winter to make up the missing $ for your number? Just a thought, I know everyone's situation is different.

Yeah, right now it's more about settling a few other things logistically and health care than it is the salary.  Money isn't really an issue.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »
>>Yeah, I don't care.  I don't see why that would be an issue.  I like my job, which is why I do it.

Awesome, glad to hear it. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »

I'm only on it like every day...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
Arghhh....Looks like I'm going to be class of 2016. Turns out my new boss is awesome, my staff are great and I have too much autonomy to give up a package worth over $200K per year. I really thought I was going to hate this year....but I don't! Guess I'll be making my FIRE plans for 2016. All the very best for class of 2015.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hee hee only on a FIRE forum could I say such a thing to your comment.

It looks like I'm in a similar situation. Work isn't sucking so much. The worst part is the commute and the time constraints work puts upon me.

But factors beyond my control hurdle me towards FIRE this year or early next year. If things go a certain way at work, I am definitely out of there.

But for now, I'm leading a cool project and my boss has tamed down his annoying side. He really does mean well and is a good manager, but he's a little too invested in work and then expects others to be...leads to a little workaholism. His nice side has been shining the past couple of weeks though. Sigh...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:16:10 PM by Daisy »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
Yes, completely understand.  I'm normally pretty mellow myself, but when stuff gets piled on at work, I get edgy and sometimes behave badly and then feel terrible about it later.  (I have some unfortunate type A aspects in my personality that lie dormant until certain stress triggers occur, at which point I get really intense and wacky...)
When these events happen it's a reminder to pull back from work if possible (take a vacation day and do something enjoyable to switch gears and decompress) because I'm too involved and need to disassociate.

Re: journal, I think that's great.  There's a lot of science to show that we humans are wired to forget painful events in favor of donning rose-colored glasses to view our pasts.  But now you have documentation to remind you how actually perceived your working life when you were moving through it.  Nice!

I'm the opposite of Type A, but even I don't like what I turn into when I feel time constrained and have to turn down other stuff in my life that I'd like to do. I get a little irritated with others and then can only squeeze things in - which I hate because I'm more of the slow and enjoying type - hate to be rushed. Especially with elderly parents that love the TLC...wish I could help out more.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »
>>Yeah, I don't care.  I don't see why that would be an issue.  I like my job, which is why I do it.

Always great to hear that a teacher loves their job, I think it is generally an under appreciated and underpaid job. 
How hard is it to pick up substitute teaching jobs as needed?

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »

Speaking of journals Dr Doom, your blog is fantastic! I have been binge reading your accounts of your work years (holy crap Batman!) and really appreciating your posts on working through numbers and strategies.

You are an excellent writer. Thank you for putting all that out there for the rest of us to profit from.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2015, 08:54:27 PM »

Speaking of journals Dr Doom, your blog is fantastic! I have been binge reading your accounts of your work years (holy crap Batman!) and really appreciating your posts on working through numbers and strategies.

You are an excellent writer. Thank you for putting all that out there for the rest of us to profit from.

That reminded me to check up on the latest Doom-musings and found another gem:
http://livingafi.com/2015/02/17/i-could-quit/

I loved this part:
So I’ll confess here that quitting is my go-to thought whether things are rough at work or they aren’t.   It doesn’t makes a difference.  With my own leave-work-forever date looming, I’m in a semi-daze most of the time, mentally saying goodbye to things I don’t like.

Seeya later, beaten down pile carpet.   Gotta run, meeting room with conference phones atop maple-veneered tables.  Hasta La Vista, dirty kitchen refrigerator that smells like moldy bread.

It’s as though my brain is narrating an updated version of Goodnight, Moon, revised for early retirees.

Irritating co-worker?  That’s okay.  I’ll be leaving soon.  Confrontation with management? No big deal, I’m just about out the door.  Boredom?  I’ll be saying goodbye to that in two months as well.

Because I could quit, you know.  And I’m damn well going to.

Priceless...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:57:00 PM by Daisy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »

Always great to hear that a teacher loves their job, I think it is generally an under appreciated and underpaid job. 
How hard is it to pick up substitute teaching jobs as needed?

There are available sub jobs every day in my district, so it wouldn't be a problem.  But that wouldn't be as much fun as having your own class, and the reason we want to FIRE is travel, so staying here and subbing would defeat the purpose.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
..nice things

Cool -  thanks for the kind words.  Blogging has been a great hobby and I'm always glad to find that some people see value in the content.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2015, 03:48:31 PM »
How are my fellow classmates in Class of 2015 doing? I've been reading books mentioned in the Book Club section, getting CDs in place, tightening up my "plan", and waiting for a couple income events at work in the next few months. I'm really thinking late May or sometime in June for my FIRE date, but I'm not sure, just having cold feet for no good reason.

We had a long walk and talk about it on Saturday.

We're torn between a lot of different options.  The one that makes the most sense right now is for her to FIRE in June and me to work another year, then ER.

But it's also tempting to say fuck it, and have us both quit.  Very up in the air if one or both (or - very unlikely - neither) of us will be done in June.

It's looking like both of us will be done in June.  50 working days left.

It's amusing how frequently it changes though.  OMY/OLY/etc. is a lark.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2015, 06:51:39 PM »
How are my fellow classmates in Class of 2015 doing? I've been reading books mentioned in the Book Club section, getting CDs in place, tightening up my "plan", and waiting for a couple income events at work in the next few months. I'm really thinking late May or sometime in June for my FIRE date, but I'm not sure, just having cold feet for no good reason.

We had a long walk and talk about it on Saturday.

We're torn between a lot of different options.  The one that makes the most sense right now is for her to FIRE in June and me to work another year, then ER.

So exciting ARS.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:34 PM »

That's awesome, congrats!!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
I'm getting really nervous about FIREing...just don't want to make the biggest mistake of my life. But not FIREing after saving for it for so long could also be the biggest mistake of my life. I kinda wish I worked at a place that had layoffs so I would just be forced into it - no chance of that happening at my employer. And I don't mean to offend anyone who was layed off and didn't want to be. My mental date for the past month or so has been to give notice on May 18th. I really hope I don't back out. Lately I've been telling myself I'll look for short term contract work once the weather turns cold, to keep my skills fresh "just in case".

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2015, 10:03:30 PM »
I'm getting really nervous about FIREing...just don't want to make the biggest mistake of my life. But not FIREing after saving for it for so long could also be the biggest mistake of my life. I kinda wish I worked at a place that had layoffs so I would just be forced into it - no chance of that happening at my employer. And I don't mean to offend anyone who was layed off and didn't want to be. My mental date for the past month or so has been to give notice on May 18th. I really hope I don't back out. Lately I've been telling myself I'll look for short term contract work once the weather turns cold, to keep my skills fresh "just in case".
Don't really know your situation, but many things you've said resonated.  First - I'm also with an employer that won't lay me off, although sometimes I think it would be best for both parties, if the world were fair.  But, with a little distance, things work out just fine either way, I still make plenty of money for my employer and have more than paid for myself given good fortune in the past...  Having been a contractor, I can see how pure Capitalism (e.g. 401k vs. company penison) might just suck for the next generations...

But thinking you'll look for contract work in ER makes me nervous.  Contract work can be brutal.  If you're in oil & gas right now, stay put!  In fact, I don't know where, in the current economy, jumping to contract is a wise choice, so please educate me on that.  Keeping your skills fresh seems counter-intuitive to taking ER.  I look forward to pulling the rip-cord in order to take a few chances on learning new skills - like blogging, publishing an e-book, or going heavy into research.  It's pretty inspiring to see how Gates and Jobs and, now, Zuckerberg turned their ideas into a global enterprise, that made them mind-blowingly wealthy.  But there are 7 billion people that want these things; that's why it's called the 1% and not the 25% or whatever would be more reasonable. 

Either you are FI-RE and a little overly apprehensive, or you are forcing the round peg into the square hole.  It's impossible for us to make a sound judgement, but I hope I said something that helps...

I'm in high tech and have done contract work previously in my field, and enjoyed it, so I'm not concerned about that; sounds like it would be very different in other industries. I also don't know if I'll actually take contract work, perhaps once I'm RE for a while I won't be so worried about keeping up my skills?

And yes you hit the nail on the head, I'm FI but apprehensive (more than a little!) I've hit my number and my WR will be around 3.2% at my comfortable budget with extras built in, and around 2% if I had to switch to my bare bones budget (no travel, no gifts, no eating out.) I think my actual WR will end up around 2.8-2.9% because the extra safeties I built in (health catastrophes mostly) will likely not happen every year. I didn't include SS or the value of my home in any of my calculations, so that's another possibly safety net I have. There may not be any SS by the time I get there, but my home value will increase over time. I know mathematically I should be fine, but it's still hard not to worry about things.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
So April 10th will be my last day at work -- it's official, I signed some paperwork with my employer last Friday.  I'm finally no longer thinking about when and how to pull the trigger, which is actually an incredible relief and something of a major accomplishment for me.  I had a little bit of difficulty finally letting go of work, but those issues are firmly in the rear view mirror. Now everything feels right.

Only 3 working weeks left -- feels trippy and surreal, but in a good way.  I'm so glad that this is the year.

@AlwaysBeenASaver, my own spending looks very similar to yours, FWIW.  A touch above 3% normal years, and I'm able to cut it to perhaps 2.2% floor if things get really wacky out there.   I think this is about as safe as it gets, and you're already better off than a heck of a lot of people who ER.  Good luck thinking things through.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2015, 08:24:41 PM »
So April 10th will be my last day at work -- it's official, I signed some paperwork with my employer last Friday.  I'm finally no longer thinking about when and how to pull the trigger, which is actually an incredible relief and something of a major accomplishment for me.  I had a little bit of difficulty finally letting go of work, but those issues are firmly in the rear view mirror. Now everything feels right.

Only 3 working weeks left -- feels trippy and surreal, but in a good way.  I'm so glad that this is the year.

@AlwaysBeenASaver, my own spending looks very similar to yours, FWIW.  A touch above 3% normal years, and I'm able to cut it to perhaps 2.2% floor if things get really wacky out there.   I think this is about as safe as it gets, and you're already better off than a heck of a lot of people who ER.  Good luck thinking things through.

Congrats!! I'm sure 3 weeks will go really fast and then you'll be free!

And thanks for the words of encouragement :-)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
May 15 is now target date to leave my current job, though I'm still not 100% sure that will mean I'm FIREd.

Great news lhamo! Call it a sabbatical then. I had one myself a few years ago after a layoff. I thought I was potentially FIREd then, but in reality wasn't really ready. An unexpected offer 5 months later from an old employer brought me back into the working world. The next time I am laid off I think it's for good. But man those 5 months of decompression and health were awesome!

Oh man, now another one falls! The dominoes are falling quickly and will hit me as they approach me later this year.

Congrats Doomie. I caught up on your blog just now and got the low down. It looks like you caught your employers by surprise.

I'd probably take the sabbatical offer if I was in your shoes. But I can see how you'd want to be honest with them and not lead them on. I guess that's the difference with having a 3% vs 4% SWR and having a still working spouse as buffer.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
Oh how funny Dr. Doom; after seeing Daisy's comment, it sounded like you were the same person who's blog I get via email - I checked your signature line and, sure enough! I have to tell you, I got a lot out of reading your blog posts about your discussions with your management; thank you for sharing so much of your experience. It's really helping me with thinking this all through as I become more sure of FIREing. And also realizing places I don't want the resignation discussion to go :-)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2015, 05:57:36 AM »
My wife is switching from full-time (50 hours) to part-time (25 hours) at the end of April. Her full-time job puts a damper on our travel plans.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2015, 06:38:24 AM »
And also realizing places I don't want the resignation discussion to go :-)

Yes, this was actually one of my primary motivations to share the blow-by-blow discussions -- to show other people the folly of my own approach.  Sometimes the best teaching is to illustrate how you've gone and screwed things up, i.e. Don't Do This, It Doesn't Work.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »
I guess that's the difference with having a 3% vs 4% WR and having a still working spouse as buffer.

I have one (3%) but not the other, actually -- my wife expects to quit in June so we'll be in it together.  (Although I did imply to management that my wife would be working indefinitely, that's not the case in reality.) 

BTW, despite the fact I didn't take sabbatical, I'd recommend it to just about anyone else because:  Why not?  It's just not the right decision for me personally.

I can't wait to read here that you're all set, too - I know you're close.  It's very exciting to read the updates in this thread.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2015, 03:41:26 PM »
Two weeks into FIRE and loving it so far - but today was my last official day as I took holidays. So as of tomorrow I tick the 'retired' instead of 'working' box on online surveys :)

I'm a really poor sleeper and thought it might improve. The quality hasn't (I wear my fitbit which monitors my sleep and I'm awake a LOT during the night) - but being able to stay in bed longer means I am nodding off again when I'd previously have been getting up so I do feel more rested.

Good luck to everyone on the verge!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2015, 03:47:27 PM »
Two weeks into FIRE and loving it so far - but today was my last official day as I took holidays. So as of tomorrow I tick the 'retired' instead of 'working' box on online surveys :)

I'm a really poor sleeper and thought it might improve. The quality hasn't (I wear my fitbit which monitors my sleep and I'm awake a LOT during the night) - but being able to stay in bed longer means I am nodding off again when I'd previously have been getting up so I do feel more rested.

Congrats on now checking the "retired" box, that must be a great feeling!!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »

Two weeks into FIRE and we're just hearing about it now?!?!? I thought we had something going on here...

Just kidding...congrats.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
I guess that's the difference with having a 3% vs 4% WR and having a still working spouse as buffer.

I have one (3%) but not the other, actually -- my wife expects to quit in June so we'll be in it together.  (Although I did imply to management that my wife would be working indefinitely, that's not the case in reality.) 

BTW, despite the fact I didn't take sabbatical, I'd recommend it to just about anyone else because:  Why not?  It's just not the right decision for me personally.

I can't wait to read here that you're all set, too - I know you're close.  It's very exciting to read the updates in this thread.

So I had taken some time off work recently and my boss let me extend it slightly for personal reasons. I thought to myself...what a nice guy, I really have a good thing going at work. What's the rush for FIRE?

Then I return today and the boss is complaining that my replacement during the time didn't take up the micro-managing Agile management role too seriously and he wants me now to take that on.

His words:
"You need to set up nightly meetings with our overseas members of the team for these daily standups". I mention that two nights a week is a lot.

Then he says:
"Yeah we're all used to our cushy 9-to-5 jobs but we need to stretch ourselves. It's only 15 minutes two nights a week. We can't be so loosy-goosy." In my mind, it's not the short amount of time but just the fact that I have to mentally allocate this space 2-3 nights a week to accomodate the cheaper overseas labor. Like I've got nothing else to do on weeknights...

This is definitely fueling the FIRE flames...

I like the cushy job, and I'm not the micromanaging type.  I like being "loosy-goosy" (his term). This Agile push is definitely yet another reason for FIRE. This is the way the industry is going. Sigh...

I find us "older types" at work are the most resistant to this daily micromanaging that we're not used to. Some people have refused to attend these daily meetings and stuff. I have a theory that this micromanaging and daily status and short sprint schedules promoted by Agile is a reflection of the new millenial generation and their need for constant supervision and guidance. The rest of us don't like this push.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:41:22 PM by Daisy »

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »

I've gone through most of the workplace issues you've mentioned at one time or another and definitely feel for you. 

Many software shops have around-the-clock schedules FWIW due to offshoring.  Management tries to spin off hours meetings with teams in other locales as "only" 30 minutes, but this is disingenuous.  You're exactly right:  If you have a 7PM meeting on Tuesday, you will not be playing racquetball with a friend or, in the summer months, going outside to mess around with your kids, whatever.  You are tied to the house so that you can be on that meeting.  You may have followups that you need to take care of immediately following the meeting, too -- extending that 30 minutes to perhaps an hour.  If the meetings are in the morning (say, 6:30), you will be anxious about the commute.

While this might be okay for a week or two, it is not okay as a lifestyle.  I lived this life for a while and found it to be an unacceptable and unsustainable way to exist.

2.  I've also gotten back from vacations and immediately had pressure cranked up at work.  It's the worst.  You're all calm and mellow from the break and as soon as you're back in, someone or other is telling you to run at a 60mph pace and blah blah blah. 

And I do have the sense that it's getting worse.  No one is able to push back on the constant monitoring, supervision, surveillance because: Need job.

Have you heard about slack, btw?  It's a new-ish IM client that's spun as business-Instant-Messenger and improves communication and productivity.  Archives everything, improves transparency.

In short, it increases the number of connections between you and the corporate Hive.   Anyone in the company can search your own chat history with anyone else.  Yes, I imagine some of the privacy knobs are adjustable, defined as per corporate policy, but still, the idea feels slimy and controlling.

I'm incredibly glad I'm getting out.  And these sorts of work-styles is really why I won't go back.  If I need to seek employment in the future, for whatever reason, it won't be software.  And hopefully I can avoid being in an office, too.
I'll stop there before this gets out of control, as I'm already way off topic... :)

Edit: shorter, believe it or not.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:20:50 PM by Dr. Doom »

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2015, 07:08:10 AM »
Congrats Galley Girl and  Dr. Doom!! ER is great. OK so THAT'S the understatement of the year :-)

Can't wait to join you officially.  Although I have resigned I have a couple of weeks yet to get through.  I'm continually inspired by your enthusiasm, it's totally energizing and inspiring!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »
Congrats Galley Girl and  Dr. Doom!! ER is great. OK so THAT'S the understatement of the year :-)

Can't wait to join you officially.  Although I have resigned I have a couple of weeks yet to get through.  I'm continually inspired by your enthusiasm, it's totally energizing and inspiring!

+1.  Spartana's the FIRE poster-gal and cheerleader all in one.  :D

I've been very much enjoying your blog Dr. Doom - I went back and added every post from the beginning (apparently there's been 79) to my Pocket (Read it Later) account and have been working my way through.  So awesome to read the early 2014 material now (things like where you talk about OMY and hoping to not get sucked in and that you want to pull the plug in 2015 no matter what) with knowing where you're at today.  :)

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »

+1.  Spartana's the FIRE poster-gal and cheerleader all in one.  :D

I've been very much enjoying your blog Dr. Doom - I went back and added every post from the beginning (apparently there's been 79) to my Pocket (Read it Later) account and have been working my way through.  So awesome to read the early 2014 material now (things like where you talk about OMY and hoping to not get sucked in and that you want to pull the plug in 2015 no matter what) with knowing where you're at today.  :)

Cool, thanks ARS. I'm always hopeful that the content helps a few people think things through a bit, perhaps pushing them through their own final OMYs.  Seriously doubt you need any help yourself, though.  Much like herpes, OMY does not affect everyone.

Fair warning on some of those early posts:  They suck.  I encourage you to skip around liberally.  I think things got better as they went along.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »
Cool, thanks ARS. I'm always hopeful that the content helps a few people think things through a bit, perhaps pushing them through their own final OMYs.  Seriously doubt you need any help yourself, though.  Much like herpes, OMY does not affect everyone.

I vacillate between OLY and OMY, but with the wife firmly pushing to be done ASAP, the choice sometimes seems out of my hands.  We definitely won't have the problem of having worked too long, though we may have to go back at some point.  :D

Fair warning on some of those early posts:  They suck.  I encourage you to skip around liberally.  I think things got better as they went along.

I actually really like the personal stories (newspaper route, video game playing, your description of meetings).

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Much like herpes, OMY does not affect everyone.

This needs to be on a MMM-branded t-shirt.  I'm sure it will be a best seller!

Uh, or not so much. Unless they are selling for $1. You simply can't SELL to people who don't want to buy. Supply & demand yo! This shirt would generate zero demand. People who want it won't spend the cash, people who are willing to spend the cash wouldn't want it.

I agree though, it would make a nice shirt. Good quote Doom.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »
Methinks we should have been doing this list-style, like E-R.org does.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/class-of-2015-a-66921-24.html

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Much like herpes, OMY does not affect everyone.

This needs to be on a MMM-branded t-shirt.  I'm sure it will be a best seller!

Uh, or not so much. Unless they are selling for $1. You simply can't SELL to people who don't want to buy. Supply & demand yo! This shirt would generate zero demand. People who want it won't spend the cash, people who are willing to spend the cash wouldn't want it.

I agree though, it would make a nice shirt. Good quote Doom.

Yeah, that was meant to be a joke.  But if you just sell a single shirt in this tough crowd, you are still a best seller!

Ah, I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. But after re-reading this, I found a slight alteration to doom's quote that I think improves the analogy a bit:

Much like herpes, OMY does not affect infect everyone.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:33 PM »

Yes!  How about a sticky in the Post-FIRE subforum?  (I once suggested something similar in the "forum ideas" section, but got no takers.)

Sorry for crashing your thread, given that in all likelihood my own FIRE won't commence until 2018 (assuming I don't contract a case of OMY syndrome (or herpes, for that matter)).

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2015, 10:35:55 PM »

Yes!  How about a sticky in the Post-FIRE subforum?  (I once suggested something similar in the "forum ideas" section, but got no takers.)

Sorry for crashing your thread, given that in all likelihood my own FIRE won't commence until 2018 (assuming I don't contract a case of OMY syndrome (or herpes, for that matter)).

Sounds like a great idea...not sure if I'm up to creating the list.

And welcome brooklynguy. Who knows, I might be crashing my own thread if I end up FIRE'ing in 2016 instead. I don't have a fixed FIRE date. I'm stubbornly waiting for a sweet severance package...in addition to letting my international funds recover a bit....that stubborn US dollar is not helping. I am trying to diversify my funds a little more, but they took a hit the last few years. The wonders of indexing (I am now learning the benefits).

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
Hey Doom!

According to your blog you are a free man now. I was just wondering when you were going to work your way over here and gloat. Gloating in the name of FIRE is good.

Pooja Sharma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2015, 04:09:09 AM »
this looks an amazing thread with whole lot interesting people in it.
Well I'm in too! looking forward to FIRE

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2015, 07:04:33 AM »
Hey Doom!

According to your blog you are a free man now. I was just wondering when you were going to work your way over here and gloat. Gloating in the name of FIRE is good.

His last blog post said he would be consumed with moving until the 20th -- but if you happen to pop in please share an update, Dr. Doom!   

Brag, brag, brag, gloat, gloat, gloat.
That oughta do it!

Yeah, moving is taking a lot of time, we're looking at apartments (decided to rent for a while) and evaluating different towns and neighborhoods.  House is mostly sold (under agreement, only mortgage contingency remains) and closes end of May so we're on a clock to get out.  Also juggling family stuff that I don't bring up all that much, but it's there.

Still, it's so much easier and pleasant to manage a move when not working.  Like, for example, I'm leaving in 20 minutes to drive to another town to look at an apartment.  With work, I'd have to either beg for time off, try to schedule this on the weekend, or take a sick day.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2015, 07:19:44 AM »
Congrats doom. I've been reading the blog but don't think I posted there.

I'm sure you've been thinking about it much longer, but I've been anticipating your FIRE since you posted 10 months ago about your wife being more on board. Good stuff to see it materialize. Hoping I can join the fun in a few years.

Good luck with the move.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05:12 AM »
Congrats Doom!  Well deserved.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
WORD, doom. Word.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
Hey Doom!

His last blog post said he would be consumed with moving until the 20th -- but if you happen to pop in please share an update, Dr. Doom!   

Brag, brag, brag, gloat, gloat, gloat.
That oughta do it!

Yeah, moving is taking a lot of time, we're looking at apartments (decided to rent for a while) and evaluating different towns and neighborhoods.  House is mostly sold (under agreement, only mortgage contingency remains) and closes end of May so we're on a clock to get out.  Also juggling family stuff that I don't bring up all that much, but it's there.

Still, it's so much easier and pleasant to manage a move when not working.  Like, for example, I'm leaving in 20 minutes to drive to another town to look at an apartment.  With work, I'd have to either beg for time off, try to schedule this on the weekend, or take a sick day.

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. It wasn't too much to ask for...

I can't wait for your first post on your blog as a FIREd man. (not that I'm rushing you)

I have a suggestion. I realized DOOM backwards is MOOD. So your new post-FIREd persona could be changed to the (the good) MOOD DR. It seems like DOOM won't fit your new lifestyle. Just saying...