Author Topic: Challenge: make a tank of gas last a week longer  (Read 7906 times)

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
Challenge: make a tank of gas last a week longer
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:11:36 AM »
A tank of gas has been lasting me about 2 weeks (so I fill up 2x/mo). I know, I know. Not the best gas mileage, and still way too much Clown Driving. So my challenge is to make each full tank, starting with the one I filled two days ago, last a week longer. This would be a 50% improvement (I hope my math is right.) I promise this is just a start, I'll get better and better at this. Anybody want to join me and make their tank last a week longer than usual and report here?

Here are my ideas for making that happen:

1) Drive less, bike more. OF COURSE!
2) Combine more trips when I have to drive.
3) Ease up on the gas pedal when I have to drive (leave with plenty of time to spare, too).

Any other tips?

Sparafusile

• Bristles
Re: Challenge: make a tank of gas last a week longer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »
Take the bus. I went from filling up every 6 days to filling up every 6 weeks - no exaggeration. Of course it helps that I bike to the bus stop too.

Not to derail the topic, but I really don't understand why more people don't take the bus. In the morning I ride with a few people that work at Eli Lilly, people that work in the court house, and government employees. These are all respected professions. When I tell people how I get to work they look at me with pity!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »
My job is about 2.5 miles from my house (or less, depending on the route I take), so obviously I commute with my feet or my two wheels.  I have *completely* cut out clown car driving.  Since late March, my only driving has been when going to a different town.  I last bought gasoline on 9/1, and I think I still have about half of that tank.

I do have a 91 year old friend who lives 4 hours away from me.  Her family often leaves her alone, so I do go visit her as often as I can.  If it weren't for that, I could probably go months without buying gasoline!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »
Take the bus. I went from filling up every 6 days to filling up every 6 weeks - no exaggeration. Of course it helps that I bike to the bus stop too.

Not to derail the topic, but I really don't understand why more people don't take the bus. In the morning I ride with a few people that work at Eli Lilly, people that work in the court house, and government employees. These are all respected professions. When I tell people how I get to work they look at me with pity!
I have no problem taking the bus in terms of "who rides the bus" , in fact, I used to go everywhere by bus and bike. My problem is that it takes to effing long here in Denver. When you don't have connections, it's ok, but if you need two or more, you often have to wait a long time. Often it is a whole lot faster to ride the bike. Riding the bus to work is slower than riding my bike.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »
A lot of buses in my area have bike racks at the front of the bus, basically the greatest thing since sliced bread. It gives you a lot of flexibility as to when and where to get on and off.

Improving gas mileage is one of those games where the only winning move is to not play (ie, don't drive).

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
Have things delivered instead of getting them yourself?
Carpool for social occasions?
Procrastinate.  ;)  You know, just don't go get things and take care of things, etc.
Stay home more?
Walk more?

Those are my ideas.  I'm wondering what you use a tank of gas on in two weeks since you ride your bike to work.  If I knew that, I might have more suggestions.  I think I probably only fill up my car about once a month because I only use it for getting to and from work, which you know is ten miles a day.  Not that I'm so mustachian- it's that I use our nicer, newer car at all other times.  I only take my 14 year old car to work.  But!  Thanks to your encouragement I've decided to really start doing it on my bike.  I keep driving the route and thinking to myself, I can do this.  I'm doing a trial ride tomorrow.  I'm going to need to get fenders and waterproof panniers since I live in Oregon and the rains are coming, but I'm totally going to do it.  So thanks again for the encouragement in the other thread.  You really made a difference.  :)

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »
So thanks again for the encouragement in the other thread.  You really made a difference.  :)

Freckles, you're welcome. :)

I have not been riding my bike to work every day. I have not been able to figure out what to do on the days I go to another job after my main job or to my medical treatment appt on the other side of town. I thought of taking the bus, or doing a bus/bike combo, but the bus is even slower than just biking, so I wouldn't get there on time. I already get the latest appt I can, and my other job is scheduled as late as possible too. :( So on those days (it's been several a week) I have been driving, which means I rack up the miles because it's not just my commute either.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:21:35 PM by worldstrad »

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
Good for you, oldtoyota. Well, I'm happy to report I have met my goal. Actually, I'm on track to make it last 2 weeks longer. If I can make it through Friday without filling up (today is Sunday), that will have been one month on one tank. I still have about a quarter tank, so I think I can make it! :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »
The last time I bought fuel for my vehicle was September 28th.  And I was about 120 miles away from home at that time.  Since I returned from that trip, I have driven a total of about 3 miles--to the hockey rink and back (with all my hockey gear).  Since I commute to work by bicycle, and do all my errands on bike or foot, I use my vehicle rarely.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
Good for you, oldtoyota. Well, I'm happy to report I have met my goal. Actually, I'm on track to make it last 2 weeks longer. If I can make it through Friday without filling up (today is Sunday), that will have been one month on one tank. I still have about a quarter tank, so I think I can make it! :)

This is great news. And, IIRC, that is not easy to do in Denver so extra kudos to you!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
Thanks, oldtoyota. It actually wasn't too difficult. Denver is becoming more bike friendly, and when we purchased our house a few weeks ago, I insisted on being closer to the bike paths and that has helped a lot. It took a bit more planning to combine trips, some plain good old excuse-busting, and some badassity (riding in less than ideal conditions, getting stronger legs to pull a trailer, etc.). I'm hoping to repeat or better this performance on the next tank.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
=-)

I posted in my no car challenge thread that we have only spent $35 so far on fuel (unless spouse went to a gas station today). For us, that shows a huge savings.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 04:58:31 AM »
Well, this is kinda cheating, but my son totalled my gas guzzler so we have replaced it with a second hand Prius, so yeah a "tank of gas" as you yanks say, will now last a week longer...every fortnight for years....

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »
=-)

I posted in my no car challenge thread that we have only spent $35 so far on fuel (unless spouse went to a gas station today). For us, that shows a huge savings.
Nice!

I made it to Tuesday, not Friday, so almost 2 weeks longer. My new goal now is at least 2 weeks longer than original.