Author Topic: Challenge: Don't buy anything for the month of February.  (Read 13447 times)

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Challenge: Don't buy anything for the month of February.
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:28 AM »
LOL! I haven't read all the comments yet, but I love this idea. I did this hardcore every February for about six years to achieve FI. Hardcore as in NO MONEY AT ALL, not even food and no stockpiling allowed, either. I read Amy's Big Blue Book (The Complete Tightwad Gazette) during the month for motivation. This was, of course pre-MMM days and I was single then. Now I'm FIRE, and married with a family of four adults. I don't think they'd be up for this, so I'm doing a modified stealth version this year.

My Cash Diet was fun and completely worth doing. One year, a friend was dying of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and was worried about paying her rent. It was so incredibly awesome to tell her not to worry, that I'd cover her for the next two months. I did this with the dough I saved on my February Cash Diet. Sadly, the money did last to the end of her life, but at least she didn't have to worry about her cat and her belongings being turned out as she lay dying.

Diane C, this is awesome! This speaks to the many reasons "why" financial freedom is so powerfully important. Thank you for sharing this - it's deeply inspiring.

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:36 AM »
Is there a "Don't Buy Anything" planned for the month of March?

I'm planning to greatly streamline grocery spending, and this challenge would fit it nicely with those efforts.

Paulie

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 01:06:29 AM »
Yes, only two more days to go! I haven't bought anything besides gifts!

Paulie

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 01:06:56 AM »
Is there a "Don't Buy Anything" planned for the month of March?

I'm planning to greatly streamline grocery spending, and this challenge would fit it nicely with those efforts.

You can start your own challenge MinimalistMoustache!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »
How did everyone do so far? 2 more days left?  My only downfall has been:

1. A can of paint (borderline consumable) about $25
2. On sale noise cancellation headphones I use a lot for sleeping. $16
3. 1/2" Elastic, because I lost my hair tie and wanted to make another one. $2.75

I think I spent $43 which wasn't perfect but I learned A LOT.  I never realized I shopped for sport (when bored) as much as I did.  Real eye opener.

I spent:

$16 on second-hand clothing at the consignment store.  Sort of trapped myself, because I went in thinking I would have a $50 or so store credit to spend, and only ended up having $10.  Don't feel too bad since it was used stuff and a small amount of money.

Spent $207 after CC rebates and such on fencing supplies.  Also don't feel bad about this one because it's for a project we've been planning for at least a year, and since the ground thawed early this year, there was no sense in waiting.

Also spent $47 on grass seed for our front yard landscaping project.  Again, something that has been planned for a long time, and not mindless unplanned purchasing.

Other than that, I haven't bought anything except gas and groceries this month.  I don't think we've even had to get any cleaning supplies or animal feed or anything.

I think I'll do no *shopping* in March as well.  There are a few specific items I do plan to purchase, but am enjoying not buying random books and clothes and things.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »
So, here's the extent of my 2014 Stealth Plan: I gave up Costco (my primary grocery resource) for 30 days. The only spending was fresh produce at Sprouts.

Happy to report I lasted for 32 days. The only fail was a tank of gas at the 25 day mark. Simply couldn't haul MIL and her pal Al Z. Heimer around on fumes. My family didn't even notice and my pantry is still in decent shape. So cool to get the Costco Amex bill where the rebate check exceeded the cost of the tank of gas.