Author Topic: Catalog cancellation challenge for 2017  (Read 2843 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Catalog cancellation challenge for 2017
« on: December 31, 2016, 08:06:44 AM »
How about cancelling those unwanted catalogs and sales emails?  I was doing so well and then I was caught by an email advertising a 70% off sale at my favorite children's clothing store.

Throughout January, as I go through my mail daily, I'm going to make calls to cancel catalogs.  As I go through my emails, I'm going to unsubscribe from promotional emails.

Anybody else who wants to cut down temptation and clutter, and save trees this way?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:26:39 AM by Poundwise »

CU Tiger

• Bristles
Re: Catalog cancellation challenge for 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 08:44:19 AM »
I am in!

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
I'm off to an early start! I canceled 6 catalogs yesterday through catalogchoice.com. I've been unsubscribing from sales emails as I get them, too. Out of sight, out of mind, I hope! Plus it pains me to see all that paper wasted on catalogs I'll never look at or buy from.

appleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »
I'm off to an early start! I canceled 6 catalogs yesterday through catalogchoice.com. I've been unsubscribing from sales emails as I get them, too. Out of sight, out of mind, I hope! Plus it pains me to see all that paper wasted on catalogs I'll never look at or buy from.

Catalogchoice is amazing! I've been using it for years. I'm in for email catalogs and lists. Trying to get unsubscribed from as many as possible.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:58:50 PM »
I'm in! I hate the catalogs and doubly want to cut use of plastic and paper this year - junk mail is so wasteful.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »
I go for weeks using catalog choice and then I get lazy because it's only 1-2.   Then when it builds up I go back through and get focused again... I'm in!

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
I got a catalog yesterday and was all excited to cancel it, but realized it was one I'd just canceled (so before their system would've been updated). I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to cancel another one :)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »
I got a catalog yesterday and was all excited to cancel it, but realized it was one I'd just canceled (so before their system would've been updated). I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to cancel another one :)

Tee hee!  I didn't get any mail at all on Jan 2, so I had to wait till yesterday until I got 3 catalogs, which I just canceled.  I also unsubscribed from 5 mailing lists, so my tally is 8.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:31:29 AM »
I'd already decided to do the e-mail unsubscribe thing before I saw this, so I'm definitely in :-)  I immediately discovered that the junk email I'd been getting from 1-800-CONTACTS was because someone fat-fingered an e-mail address and when I tried to unsubscribe I discovered I had access to their account with phone, full name, snail mail address, prescriptions, last 4 digits of the credit card, etc. Yikes. Contacted the company and got it sorted out. They were very thankful.

I don't get very many snail-mail catalogs - most of the ones I do get are for a person who lived here before - could I still cancel them via that catalog choice site if they're not for me?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »
I'd already decided to do the e-mail unsubscribe thing before I saw this, so I'm definitely in :-)  I immediately discovered that the junk email I'd been getting from 1-800-CONTACTS was because someone fat-fingered an e-mail address and when I tried to unsubscribe I discovered I had access to their account with phone, full name, snail mail address, prescriptions, last 4 digits of the credit card, etc. Yikes. Contacted the company and got it sorted out. They were very thankful.

I don't get very many snail-mail catalogs - most of the ones I do get are for a person who lived here before - could I still cancel them via that catalog choice site if they're not for me?

This happens with my email address all the time.  I apparently have one a lot of people THINK they should have?

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »
I have unsubscribed to three email lists this week. Having this challenge makes it easier for me to just hit the unsubscribe button right away, rather than thinking I will do it later.

Thanks for the challenge, Poundwise!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »
This happens with my email address all the time.  I apparently have one a lot of people THINK they should have?

Yeah, my address is just a very common first name, plus my last initial, at an e-mail domain that a jillion people use, so I get this sort of thing occasionally. (One time I lost out on a birthday present because my aunt sent an Amazon GC to some other <firstname> at <e-mail domain> by accident... d'oh.) I never found myself with access to someone else's account though. It looked like I could have ordered something from their website with her credit card if I wanted to... although maybe it would have asked me for more info if I actually tried to do that.

Just unsubbed from three more e-mail lists.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 11:22:24 AM »
I have unsubscribed to so many emails and will keep doing it as they come through.  I am so much better off not knowing what is out there.  Unsubscribing to them was a relief especially if I want to stick to my low buy plan this year.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
I am in. I have unsubscribed to many emails and try to do the catalogs as they come up. I hate mail!

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
I use https://unroll.me/ to take care of all my email subscriptions in one swoop. My inbox went from overly-cluttered to nothing overnight. It's an amazing tool to avoid even having to wait for emails to come in to unsubscribe.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
Bam!  I just did a bunch, including catalogs addressed to the previous residents of our house!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
So I've unsubscribed to 22 catalogs so far. Assuming that each company sends an average of 3 mailings a year, that's 66 fewer pieces of mail, and 660 over ten years!

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
So I've unsubscribed to 22 catalogs so far. Assuming that each company sends an average of 3 mailings a year, that's 66 fewer pieces of mail, and 660 over ten years!

That is such an amazing way to think of it. I have been following along with you and doing them as I receive since January...luckily, our mail has pretty much stopped since unsubscribing from various lists . :0)

I think the way you think of it....it IS such a time saver even though it seems annoying at the time. Thank you!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!