Author Topic: Caffeine Free 2022  (Read 861 times)

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Caffeine Free 2022
« on: July 31, 2022, 10:22:28 AM »
I did a lemonade cleanse from January 10-21. When it ended, I wanted to see which of the following I could continue the longest without: alcohol, meat, or caffeine. The winner? Not the one I would have guessed: caffeine (still going).

Meat -- On Feb. 10, I visited cattle rancher friends, who served steak for lunch. It was the best steak I've ever had. I've gone back to eating some meat, though mostly fish.

Alcohol -- Lasted until Memorial Day. I gave up beer in 2006. Rarely drink hard alcohol. Wife and I enjoy wine. I figured I should at least go back to the occasional glass of wine.

Caffeine -- I've never been a coffee drinker and gave up soda years ago. But I've taken pre-workout drinks (like C4), energy gels (GU, etc), and the occasional 5-hour energy when driving long distances. Bad stuff. I've driven a ton this year, but have been able to keep off the caffeine. Oddly, I've felt more awake for morning workouts since giving up caffeine.

We'll see if I can make it through 2022 -- and then to Jan. 10, 2023 to make it a full year caffeine free.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
Re: Caffeine Free 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »
I haven’t totally given up caffeine, but I stopped drinking coffee when I got COVID a little over a month ago, and I am right there with you not missing it at all. I wake up actually awake, rather than stumbling around making a pot of coffee I am just good to go. I still have a cup of tea in the afternoon some days, but I realized that I like something warm more than I need caffeine, and it’s been a great life lesson.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 01:36:33 PM »
this is a good one. I've been kind of stuck on caffeine for a while now. Every time I've tried to give it up, the headaches I started getting would drive me back.

My approach now is to start slowly replacing each cup of coffee with decaf, and once I have completely switched to decaf, to start phasing it out as well.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 03:26:46 PM »
I scarcely drink anything with caffeine in it.  I can’t say I’ve “given it up”.  Now and then I’ll have a Diet Coke.  Truly now and then.  Can’t even remember the last time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 04:41:44 PM »
I quit caffeine a few years ago and it was a rough two weeks, but then felt great and I did not miss it.

I've reintroduced black tea though because my neurologist tried to prescribe hardcore stimulants for some new narcolepsy-ish symptoms, and I was like "maybe I'll just try a bit of black tea first?"

I still don't miss the zing and jitters of full-on coffee. I used to drink A LOT and felt like I couldn't live without it. It's crazy how drinking it just creates its own need.

As for alcohol, I gave that up before the coffee. Alcohol is shit, I don't miss it at all.

I gave up cooking meat about 6 years ago. I will still eat it, but I won't cook it. This compromise works best for me because it allows me to have more options when out at restaurants and to not inconvenience anyone who is cooking for me. It's basically a frictionless, easily sustainable way to get my meat intake down to nearly zero.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 04:44:05 PM by Malcat »