Author Topic: Buy Nothing New in 2013!  (Read 4988 times)

ccwishon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Buy Nothing New in 2013!
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to this forum, but have been a long-time MMM reader. I am wondering if anyone wants to join me in my goal of buying nothing new in 2013.

(For details on my rules for this, see my blog post: http://ccwishon.blogspot.com/2013/01/where-will-my-two-cents-go-this-year.html )

I'm hoping to drastically reduce my purchases this year in order to (1) work towards financial freedom and (2) make sure the spending of my money reflects my values.

I know a year is a long time, but even if you just want to join in for a month or so, let me know.

I'm so glad to have found a community of people online here with similar goals and values!

CC

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Buy Nothing New in 2013!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »
Good challenge.

I don't tend to buy new things, just used.

I'm trying to think of if I bought anything new in 2012. 

Some gifts purchased for others.. a few apps (hard to buy used).. Some carpet (and tile, and wood flooring) for rental properties.. Hmmm....
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ccwishon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
Yeah, gifts seem to be the biggest challenge for me, and I've been trying to find good ways to compromise (for example, a gift that is part homemade or used and part new).

The other big challenge so far has been figuring out what to do about items that are hard to make or find used (i.e. fabric, toiletries and cleaning supplies, misc. parts for repairs).

Anyway, that's awesome that you were able to buy almost entirely used in 2012!

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »

The other big challenge so far has been figuring out what to do about items that are hard to make or find used (i.e. fabric, toiletries and cleaning supplies, misc. parts for repairs).

Have you looked at ebay for fabric? Not sure where else to look specifically for used fabric, besides deconstructing used clothes.

Since food is allowable - may I suggest vinegar for many of your cleaning needs? http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

zoltani

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
I can't do it, as i have already bought a bunch of new stuff this year.  Most of it is climbing gear, and I am not sure I want to buy that used. There are still a couple of things on my list of gear i need, but other than that I will try to not buy new things.

ccwishon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
NumberCruncher, thanks for the vinegar link! That is going to help me out a lot. Also, will definitely check ebay for raw fabric. Thanks!

Zoltani: Yeah, I wouldn't know what to do about climbing gear either, but glad to hear that you're otherwise mostly on board

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:51:38 AM »
Well I'm on board for clothes: I've decided not to buy any more clothes (new or used) for myself this year.  I'm hoping to lose weight and shop my wardrobe.  My only let out clause will be if I lose so much weight that nothing fits (or can be altered to fit), with regard to clothes of sufficient standard to wear to work. Seems unlikely :) given my track record on losing weight,  but I'm kind of daring myself to do it to use the let-out clause.

jpluncford21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 06:11:23 AM »
I'm going to talk to my wife about this tonight. I think there will be a few exceptions, but hopefully she will come on board. I've been really struggling with reducing our carbon footprint anyway, so this will fall right into that line.

Nancy

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »
Have you heard of The Compact? Because it's exactly what your buy nothing new challenge is (with the same exceptions of food, meds, undergarments). Check out the Compact Yahoo group, which has loads of ideas on how to avoid buying new items.

I already do this and have been pretty successful for the past two years. I've traded and picked up fabric on Freecycle for sewing projects. I also have a large stash that I'm working my way through, and I upcycle used clothes/fabric into new items. My one cheat is that I allow myself to purchase yarn from local sources, but I only buy enough for each project (as to avoid a yarn stash). Good luck! It's actually quite easy once you get started.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
My one cheat is that I allow myself to purchase yarn from local sources, but I only buy enough for each project (as to avoid a yarn stash). Good luck! It's actually quite easy once you get started.

Have you ever recycled yarn from an old sweater? http://www.handspunartyarn.com/p/how-to-unravel-sweater-to-recycle-yarn.html

I haven't myself, but it seems like another good way to make full use out of something. First I need to make my way through my yarn stash and works in progress...

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:04 AM »
Awesome goal! Good luck to you. :)
I rarely buy anything new myself, for myself that is. I learned pretty early in life that my allowance bought a whole lot more used things than new things.  I do have a hubby and three kids so that is a lot of stuff I can't have 100% control over. We do very well though I think.
This week my hubby bought a book on Amazon using earned gift cards from Swagbucks. When he mentioned the price, $16, I just about had a heart attack. That's probably because I'm accustomed to borrowing things at the library or buying used books at $3-10 each. Then I asked him if he'd checked for it used first. "They were about the same price" was his response. That's not the point so I educated him again. If someone has it, took excellent care of it and no longer wants it, it is better to take it off their hands than create a demand for newly manufactured goods, even if you only "save" $.05. A like new book is just what it says, like new! If it's more to buy used than new, I generally wait until someone selling used lowers their price. It is progress that he at least checked first though. :)
Just checking my receipts for this month so far all that has been purchased new is the above book, a pack of socks for my 10 year old, a couple of video game accessories, and a plush toy through Ebay. I picked up the socks but everything else was a personal purchase by my hubby or kids with allowance or birthday/Christmas money. That's pretty typical. I've bought other new-to-us items though like a stainless steel percolator to replace the two hand-me-down teapots I broke while my parents were staying with us. I paid $5 at Goodwill. I looked it up on Amazon when I got home and it was a $35 pot. This one will be harder to break. ;) My daughter also bought a used toy on Ebay with her birthday money. We practically stole it from the seller with a $1 bid with free shipping. We had researched the item together and prepared her to allow $6 to buy it so she was quite pleased at the final price. In contrast, her new plush toy cost $4. Even at her young age, I hope she's learning the same lessons I did about the value in secondhand.