Author Topic: Browse Only USEFUL Internet Sites - for a month  (Read 7594 times)

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
Browse Only USEFUL Internet Sites - for a month
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
I've been struggling with this myself lately, wasting an unfortunate amount of time on the image-hosting website Imgur as well as trips to Facebook when I should be focusing on schoolwork.  I just deactivated my Facebook, and just need a push to maintain the self-control not to jump on Imgur.  This is that push.

We talk about clutter around the house/apartment, but clutter while on the internet is something on which I'll throw down the gauntlet.  Focus on doing the original thing you hopped on the internet for, and only stay on the internet if you're still doing something of use, for the entire month of June.  Anyone care to join?

Angie55

Re: Browse Only USEFUL Internet Sites - for a month
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
I NEED this challenge. I am the biggest time waster and will sit at the computer hours checking sites over and over again.

Last month I quit my guilty pleasure of celebrity gossip sites. I also drastically cut down on checking my smartphone out of boredom while in public. But there is a long way to go. My life would be so much better without internet wasting.

I am in.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
I'm in.
This includes MMM during work hours. *gulp*
This includes random YouTube hopping, Facebook stalking, or otherwise nonsensical unfiltered browsing.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »
I'm in too. Need to work out my parameters.

exceljunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »
Oof, thanks for suggesting this. I'm not focusing on work as much as I could/should and wasting a bunch of time piddling on the internet. Then I get home and piddle some more when I could be working on my side projects, preparing for the following day, or getting a good night's rest.

This includes random YouTube hopping, Facebook stalking, or otherwise nonsensical unfiltered browsing.

The best way to hold yourself accountable is to use a productivity tracking tool like RescueTime (https://www.rescuetime.com/pricing). I'm downloading it now, the free version works for my use case... it won't track my iPhone piddling, but I'm starting here.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
I find navigating these sights very useful for procrastination :)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Oof, thanks for suggesting this. I'm not focusing on work as much as I could/should and wasting a bunch of time piddling on the internet. Then I get home and piddle some more when I could be working on my side projects, preparing for the following day, or getting a good night's rest.

The best way to hold yourself accountable is to use a productivity tracking tool like RescueTime (https://www.rescuetime.com/pricing). I'm downloading it now, the free version works for my use case... it won't track my iPhone piddling, but I'm starting here.

Thank you for this, I just downloaded it, should help and probably make me sick, I already know I waste a lot of time online

exceljunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:31 PM »
Thank you for this, I just downloaded it, should help and probably make me sick, I already know I waste a lot of time online

Don't be too discouraged... it's all in the effort of being better. If this week is not great, we can work harder at it next week (yes, I'm a great procrastinator as you can see).

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »
I am in.

I'm in.
I'm in too.

Awesome.  I'll update my own progress and relapses (fingers crossed for none).  I already read a few chapters of a book I've been meaning to read for MONTHS last night.  I'm excited about how much time I could save.  Maybe y'all are too.  Good luck and stay strong!

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »
So after a couple days, I'll report in...

The toughest part of all this is rerouting the impulse to quickly open up a new tab and start browsing the regular time-wasting websites.  A couple of times I've already opened up a new tab when I catch myself.  The first day was tough.  It's actually getting easier, and I've already finished half of a book I've been meaning to read.

Angie55

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
Agreed. I've probably opened a new tab over 1000 times and instantly shut it.

I actually was able to accomplish something I wanted to do all day after work. Definitely felt better to accomplish something than sit on the computer wasting time. Bonus... No guilt of not finishing it the day after!

exceljunkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »
Kind of a big fail today. Have a bunch of deadlines tomorrow so burning the midnight oil tonight.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
I think it's neat you guys are doing something.

I do question the "cold turkey for a month, then jump back to old habits" method of doing anything.

But for now, good luck.  Hope you use some of the extra time to consider why you visit those sites, what value you do (or don't) get out of them, and what you'd like the next 11 months after this month to look like.  Best of luck!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

The knitter

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 08:15:41 AM »
I find that I'm giving myself dedicated time to browse through procrastination websites.

About one hour per day. When I hit the limit, I shut it off.

It's hard not to got back on later, and sometimes I indulge myself.

But it's helping me be much more productive outside of the he interwebs.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »
I really need to cut back on procrastinating on the Internet at work. But I'mma too skeered to pick up this particular gauntlet.

But I did download Rescue Time. Thanks for posting that link. Will report back if it is helpful.

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 07:16:28 AM »
Wooo!  I've avoided Facebook and Imgur!  And replaced them with the forum and the World Cup!  But seriously, I've been much more productive the last half month.  I'm learning more, and am better able to focus. 

Don't be skeered Sonorous Epithet.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »
So . . . this challenge is basically no internet for a month then?

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »
I think it's neat you guys are doing something.

I do question the "cold turkey for a month, then jump back to old habits" method of doing anything.

But for now, good luck.  Hope you use some of the extra time to consider why you visit those sites, what value you do (or don't) get out of them, and what you'd like the next 11 months after this month to look like.  Best of luck!  :)
THIS. Cutting things out for a month and then crashing back in doesn't really do any good. It's only when we're able to extend these changes and make them permanent parts of our lives that they really benefit us. Here's to continuing this goal into the coming months!

Dyk

• Stubble
  • Starting late, w/ a family, but get out of the way
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:06:01 AM »
I need this, I am in.  Not for the month, but for the long haul.

Thank you!
(And another +1 for Rescue Time, it tracks very well.  But you have to look at the results, and the most important part:  you have to care about the results.)

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
Alright, I (or perhaps you all) held myself/me accountable last month, and I'd actually like to continue with it.  How did everyone else do?  Will you continue?  I'm also interested to see what "parameters" people set for themselves.  I allowed myself unlimited MMM forum and World Cup viewing, and so wasn't as productive as I could've been.

Wanderlusting

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »
This is definitely something i'm trying to focus on for July, I was too late to the game in June and had some extra time off which resulted in a lot of internet faffing about. I installed RescueTime along with Stayfocused to limit my usage to i'm hoping about 30 minutes a day on websites that i'm not using to learn or understand new topics.

The issue I always seem to run into though is in the morning and right after work, i'll usually flip the laptop on and just mess around for 10-15 minutes online. Then that time turns into 30 or 45 and then suddenly 3 hours went by and now I need to sleep. So for July I want to try and break those surfing habits, and go from there.

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
This is definitely something i'm trying to focus on for July, I was too late to the game in June and had some extra time off which resulted in a lot of internet faffing about. I installed RescueTime along with Stayfocused to limit my usage to i'm hoping about 30 minutes a day on websites that i'm not using to learn or understand new topics.

The issue I always seem to run into though is in the morning and right after work, i'll usually flip the laptop on and just mess around for 10-15 minutes online. Then that time turns into 30 or 45 and then suddenly 3 hours went by and now I need to sleep. So for July I want to try and break those surfing habits, and go from there.
That sounds almost exactly like my wife and I. I really need to work on keeping myself busy as soon as I get home (chores around the house, exercise, etc.). If I open my computer first, I'll be there most of the evening.

teagnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »
Me too! I'm afraid that my summer break is becoming far too imbalanced in favor of surfing rather than what I swore I was going to spend all of my time doing, which is reading. I need to moderate my online time and this is a great place to start. I've downloaded RescueTime and that'll be interesting. Should help my budget too because I've done some face-punch-worthy buying in the last month just by "stumbling" onto 'good deals'. So I'm going to post this and have dinner on my porch, go for a walk, then read myself to sleep later. No more online needs tonight! Thanks for the push!

Wanderlusting

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »
That sounds almost exactly like my wife and I. I really need to work on keeping myself busy as soon as I get home (chores around the house, exercise, etc.). If I open my computer first, I'll be there most of the evening.

Yeah, it's tough after a long day of work since it's been my ritual to decompress after a long day out. But funny thing, my internet company has had an issue where I haven't been able to connect for the past few days... and i'm slowly adjusting to it. I'm still not sure if I should go internet free in my apartment again, I tried it for a few weeks earlier, but it's definitely an option. I'm within walking distance of reliable wifi, so it's not a huge issue. Though the major issue is all the online learning sites i've come to rely, especially for learning languages, which i'm knee deep in at the moment. It's been forever since i've had to think of offline alternatives, that i'm unsure if any viable ones really exist anymore, or at least ones that aren't ungodly expensive.

Angie55

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
So I failed to even keep this up for more than one day last month. A sickness that kicked my butt for two weeks turned into a TON of useless browsing.

As with others I'm not trying to do this as a challenge. But a resolution that hopefully reduces wasted time long term. As a life long procrastinator this will be very hard. Yes, I'm starting now mid-month but I'm really going to try.

Today I downloaded Chrome and used a feature I never saw before. "Create shortcut app". Made two shortcuts. One for wunderlist and one for my google calendar. This shortcut opens the websites without an address bar or tabs so you can't go off the site very easily. Way less distractions and hopefully I can stop making paper lists which get me VERY sidetracked. Additionally, this allowed me to move my Firefox icon from the start menu and quick launch areas. Its now "hidden" on the desktop making it take a few seconds longer to reach. A few seconds is giving me enough time to pause if I really want to open it to do nothing.

Also, I'm trying to get in the habit of putting my smartphone out of reach on my desk for the same reason. I just wish there was a power strip in the drawer so I could keep it out of sight.

Any other hints or tricks others learned last month they can pass along? I'm afraid to put the time tracker in my browser as its reports will be so depressing (although I already know how bad I am!)

TheHouseStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
As of right now, I've got myself as narrowed down as I think I can.  I primarily browse this site, Inc.com, and the two MLS sites I use as a real estate agent.  Occasionally I will use Youtube for music, to look up a how-to or watch something informative, but that's it.  I've come to despise site like Reddit, BuzzFeed, et al for being mostly useless.  I gave those up and agreed that if I looked at something online it had to be somewhat educational.  It's been great!