Author Topic: Breaking the donut addiction  (Read 1369 times)

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
Breaking the donut addiction
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:44:00 AM »
For the life of me, I can't figure out why my coworkers bring in donuts (doughnuts?) all the time. It is easy for me to avoid buying things that are bad for me, but gets challenging when faced with the dissonance of "free" and "yummy" versus "really bad for you in the long run". Regardless, I am beginning to experience some serious negative effects from consuming the donuts, so it is time to be an adult.

Starting today, I am going to avoid the free donuts like I would avoid a free pack of heroin. I wish my coworkers the best of luck in their future doctor visits.

DS

• Pencil Stache
Re: Breaking the donut addiction
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »
Nice! A while ago I decided to say no to 100% of free things that aren't meals at work. So much sugar and garbage gets passed out.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »
I’ve just recently changed offices. I kid you not, here is the kitchen.

I did have a doughnut because my brain equates “free food” with “saving money” even if it isn’t saving money at all. I am on board with quitting this habit, starting with an immediate DELETE on all emails from the receptionist trying to tempt us into the break room for snacks.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:34:36 AM »
Gah, lexde, that could be from my office too.  Such a bizarre constant barrage of "TREATS!"  I buy treats for our dogs.  I am an adult human.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:03:21 PM »

I did have a doughnut because my brain equates “free food” with “saving money” even if it isn’t saving money at all. I am on board with quitting this habit, starting with an immediate DELETE on all emails from the receptionist trying to tempt us into the break room for snacks.

Wow, that is one serious spread. And from two different donut shops! Thanks, you've made my battle of willpower appear easy in comparison.

I have to wonder, do they consider the second- and third-order effects from their actions? "If I make everyone else in my office unattractive and unhealthy, they will have a harder time getting a job elsewhere and they'll be afraid to quit because they'll need lots of health insurance. Win-win!"

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:59:40 AM »

Wow, that is one serious spread. And from two different donut shops! Thanks, you've made my battle of willpower appear easy in comparison.

I have to wonder, do they consider the second- and third-order effects from their actions? "If I make everyone else in my office unattractive and unhealthy, they will have a harder time getting a job elsewhere and they'll be afraid to quit because they'll need lots of health insurance. Win-win!"

Wow that is nuts! you think someone would be at least a little more creative. We would have people bring in all sorts of stuff from chips and salsa to cheese and crackers not really doughnuts. You guys are going to attract the police with all of those!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!