Author Topic: Blog readership - From 4 visitors to 100 visitors per day!!  (Read 23017 times)

elisuper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Blog readership - From 4 visitors to 100 visitors per day!!
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
**update**  June was my first full month of having the blog and i got just under 4k page views.  I posted all my blog stats and blog income on my last post actually.  I am very proud of that number to start but it has not been easy for sure.  Hopefully I can continue the progress.   I created a twitter, pinterest and facebook account and have been trying to get as many followers/friends as possible to promote.  I also had a guest post on another bloggers blog who posts similar interest that I do and that helped a bit.

I agree that wordpress stats and google stats are different some days but at the end of the month it is almost the same. At least for me it was. My new best page view day was 300 in one day now and it was from that guest post I did.

Wow! That is so awesome! well done :) also love your progress post! i never thought about adding random people on fb! how did you decide who to add though?

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »
Thanks elisuper and Mrs. LC.  Ive been busting my butt this month so far too and im definitely going to beat all my numbers from June.

As far as the facebook question, I joined a bunch of real estate facebook groups because that is how Im going to reach FIRE and mostly what I write about.  Then i just started adding everyone from those groups.  A lot of people dont accept but thats okay because a lot do accept.  After a few hundred friends I started getting a bunch of friend request so that really helped.  Im literally over 1000 facebook friends already.  Kind of crazy. 

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »
1000 friends. Wow that is amazing! Feel free to send them our way! We are slowly building readership. It takes time. There's a ton of stuff we want to write about but we need to balance our time and be sure to meet other life goals along the way.

elisuper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2015, 10:03:25 PM »
Thanks elisuper and Mrs. LC.  Ive been busting my butt this month so far too and im definitely going to beat all my numbers from June.

As far as the facebook question, I joined a bunch of real estate facebook groups because that is how Im going to reach FIRE and mostly what I write about.  Then i just started adding everyone from those groups.  A lot of people dont accept but thats okay because a lot do accept.  After a few hundred friends I started getting a bunch of friend request so that really helped.  Im literally over 1000 facebook friends already.  Kind of crazy.

Thanks cash flow diaries! I'd be lost without you! I tried guest blogging but only got 30 visitors from it (compared to the 1000plus additional likes he got on his facebook page) but I joined some groups yesterday with over 20k people, posted a new blog post I just did, and I got over 100 new visitors in a few hours!

The problem is that I haven't converted any clicks on google so far :(

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »
A lot of great information on this thread!  I'm currently averaging 1 or 2 views a day on my blog, but I haven't had the time to put much effort in the last few months.  I'm hoping to get back to my weekly postings in the fall. 

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2015, 04:13:06 AM »
I started a blog a few months back and while it's hard to commit to writing regularly, I've decided to put more effort into the content and get things moving. I'm really not promoting it anywhere and nor will I. If it grows organically, so be it, but for me, it's helping me be accountable to my fire goals.

I had 18 visitors yesterday. Big time blogger now!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 05:46:55 AM »
1000 friends. Wow that is amazing! Feel free to send them our way! We are slowly building readership. It takes time. There's a ton of stuff we want to write about but we need to balance our time and be sure to meet other life goals along the way.

Hey Mrs LC.  I was just perusing your blog and I was going to leave a comment, but the wordpress login didn't seem to work for me.  I tried the login from my usual spot and it worked fine.  So you may have an issue there, but I'll try again later.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »

Hey Mrs LC.  I was just perusing your blog and I was going to leave a comment, but the wordpress login didn't seem to work for me.  I tried the login from my usual spot and it worked fine.  So you may have an issue there, but I'll try again later.
Thanks for the heads up. Having Mr. LC (the IT guy!) take a look at it.

OOBER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustache Fabber
    • DIY METAL FABRICATION: Saving Money Through Fabrication
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2015, 12:43:54 AM »

What plugin do you use for the e-mail signup splash page that shows up after a couple of minutes? I have been wanting to do that for a while, but hadn't found a program I liked yet.

Here is my contribution. I have been working on www.DIYMetalFabrication.com for 2 years now and am finally starting to get some pretty good traffic. I attached a snip of my traffic stats to this post for your viewing pleasure.

I have to agree with the tips to post quality content consistently. My goal for this year is to post once a week, and I have been pretty good about it for the last couple of months. It has made a noticeable difference in my volume of traffic.

A tip that I have found to come up with more posts is to write down your post idea THE MOMENT you come up with it. If I wait even 10 minutes, I will usually forget it and be kicking myself. Installing the wordpress app on my phone has helped a lot with this also. You never know when inspiration will hit (with me it is usually riding in the car (as a passenger or stopped obviously...) or on the crapper) and it is nice to have a way to record those thoughts that can be turned into a full post later.

Comments come with more views. In the two years my website has been up and over 37k+ views, I have only had 4 comments total (not including my replies).

Vivek - one thing I noticed while reading your blog is that you might look into using the summary function on wordpress. For example your current post about the kids toys is pretty long and I had to scroll for a while before I got to your next post. With the summary function, it will show your title, a picture, and everything in your post up until the ----MORE---- function (a button you can click to add to your post in the writing tools) that you would need to add to your post. This way the viewers can scroll through the posts and click on the ones they want to read. I have mine set up this way to show the first paragraph or so (though I am in no way suggesting that it is the right way to do it, just my preferred way).

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »
Elisuper, I couldn't figure out how to comment on your blog. Do I have to be signed up for facebook or google+ or something and hit those buttons? I wanted to ask a question about the courses for foreigners that you mention ("Are they given in English or Korean?") but I couldn't figure out how.

Nice looking blog, by the way. Lots of pictures. Yay.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
OOBER,

For the subscribe pop up, im using 2 plugins,  one is called "Popups - WordPress Popup" which does the pop up, then im using "MailPoet" to create the form that goes into the pop up.   I really like it so far.

As far as comments go, I really started getting more comments when I installed the commentLuv plugin.  This allows other bloggers to post thier last article on the comment so it its a lot more enticing to comment.  Most of the comments come from other bloggers from what Ive noticed, not just on my blog, but other peoples blogs also.  You really need to get yourself out there and known with the other bloggers.   Its like a community almost.

And yes quality content is key.  It takes me anywhere from 2 to 5 hours to write my posts and I try and make them really good.   People seem to really like my posts so far. Its just a matter of continuing to come up with new content.  I do exactly what you do, I write down my idea the second it comes to me so i wont forget. 

I got my most page views ever for one day yesterday and it was 391.   Most of it came from social media and I spent a bunch of time yesterday posting on facebook and twitter.   

The cool thing is I just do it while im at my day job so its not a big deal for me but it does take up time.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
I use SumoMe for the hello bar and the side bar pop-up and it's really helped boost email subscribers.

vivek440

• Stubble
    • Adventures of an Indian Couple after their Financial Independence
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »
Vivek - one thing I noticed while reading your blog is that you might look into using the summary function on wordpress. For example your current post about the kids toys is pretty long and I had to scroll for a while before I got to your next post. With the summary function, it will show your title, a picture, and everything in your post up until the ----MORE---- function (a button you can click to add to your post in the writing tools) that you would need to add to your post. This way the viewers can scroll through the posts and click on the ones they want to read. I have mine set up this way to show the first paragraph or so (though I am in no way suggesting that it is the right way to do it, just my preferred way).

Hi OOBER

Indeed a very useful suggestion… I will soon implement it! Thanks for visiting my blog and for sharing this feedback :-)

elisuper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:03 AM »
Elisuper, I couldn't figure out how to comment on your blog. Do I have to be signed up for facebook or google+ or something and hit those buttons? I wanted to ask a question about the courses for foreigners that you mention ("Are they given in English or Korean?") but I couldn't figure out how.

Nice looking blog, by the way. Lots of pictures. Yay.

Sorry Gerad I just saw this post! Oh thats weird I thought you just needed to type in your name and email address to comment? Oh and you can only comment when you click into the article (not on the homepage)! Please let me know if that's not the case :(

But in answer to your question.. The classes are all in english (either the teacher knows english or they hire in a translator) :)

That's my post popular blog most by far! I had 3,666 views the day I posted it! If only I could come up with more ideas like that..

OOBER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustache Fabber
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
OOBER,

For the subscribe pop up, im using 2 plugins,  one is called "Popups - WordPress Popup" which does the pop up, then im using "MailPoet" to create the form that goes into the pop up.   I really like it so far.

Thanks for this CashFlow. I already downloaded it and have implemented it. Right now I have it so the popup shows after 60 seconds. Instead of MailPoet, I am using the Jetpack subscribe shortcode since I was already using Jetpack.

I hope it will help increase subscriptions. I currently have it in two different areas on each page, but have yet to have very many people sign up.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2015, 09:13:52 AM »
OOBER,

Thanks for this CashFlow. I already downloaded it and have implemented it. Right now I have it so the popup shows after 60 seconds. Instead of MailPoet, I am using the Jetpack subscribe shortcode since I was already using Jetpack.

I hope it will help increase subscriptions. I currently have it in two different areas on each page, but have yet to have very many people sign up.

Cool,  yeah I have mine for 60 seconds also.  I think that is a good number because if someone stays for 60 seconds, then they probably have at least some interest in your blog.  I dont like pop ups that happen right away, it doesnt even give you time to see what is on the blog or if you even like it or not.

I was using jetpack also but changed it to mail poet because I wanted to have a custom newsletter and subscription page sent rather then the default jet pack one.  I couldnt figure out how to modify it the way I wanted it to look.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
Following - still kicking around the idea of a blog - maybe - maybe not:)
I used to write articles on a Forum and I kind of miss that.

OOBER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustache Fabber
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
Following - still kicking around the idea of a blog - maybe - maybe not:)
I used to write articles on a Forum and I kind of miss that.

You definitely have to enjoy doing it or else it isn't worth it. I can't speak for everybody else, but I spend A LOT of time working on/around/within my blog. I take notes in totally random places of ideas that I can implement next time I am at my computer. I love doing it though, so it isn't really 'work' in the traditional sense.

Cashflow,

Thanks again for the tips. I got to talking to another buddy that does a lot of online stuff and he also recommended CommentLuv. So long story short I have implemented it and hopefully it helps.

With the MailPoet vs Jetpack vs Aweber vs ConstantContact vs MailChimp vs AutoResponder vs IContact debate, my friend mentioned something that I hadn't previously thought of. If you get a lot of signups with one service, you can't necessarily just move to another mailing service. You would have to have all of your subscribers re opt-in upon switching to the new company. So one would have to make sure they pick the 'right' service in the beginning so they can stick with it later on. Has anybody had experience with this?

Sorry for the hi-jack Vivek.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »
Yeah you are right oober. I dont think there is an easy way.

I know for me, i was using jetpack and actually had 3 subscribers sign up before I switched to Mail Poet and to this day, those 3 are still getting the email newsletter from jetpack. I looked into converting them but could not find an answer so I just left it running. 

I think the only way is for them to opt out and hope they opt back in using the new form.  For me its not a big deal since its only 3 subscribers and i switched it very early from when I first created the blog but I could see how this would be a huge problem for someone switching it late in the game.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2015, 05:59:40 PM »
That is awesome ghsebldr.  Glad you are picking it back up.  Posting every day is definitely a lot.  I read an article that said the best days to post are on Mondays and Thursdays so that is what I started doing about a month ago and it seems to be working out okay for me.  2 posts a week is not a lot but it does take time to write good posts.

Good luck

Alchemilla

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2015, 11:59:22 PM »
This is a really useful thread with some interesting ideas, thank you.

If anyone feels like critiqueing my blog, I would be grateful.

I vary between three and 41 views per day. My posts are SHORT compared with ldngths discussed here.
I am going to look at all the blogs linked to here.

OOBER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustache Fabber
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
OOBER,

So, the  WordPress popup mentioned above worked well for a while. I got 6 Jetpack signups within the last month by doing nothing other than adding a popup shadowbox.

Since I knew it worked, I decided to get my MailChimp account up and running. Come to find out, I would have had to go to the 'pro' version of the popup app to make it show my MailChimp. Instead of doing that I asked some friends and did some searching. I ended up installing the 'SumoMe' plugin which is pretty cool. The basic stuff is free which is all I need at this point. Sumo me was also really easy to connect to MailChimp and Google Analytics.

In SumoMe, it has applications within it for a shadowbox, popup, welcome page/signup screen, and a bunch of other analytics tools. The I set the shadowbox to show up on all pages except the home page. I didn't want it to annoy new readers and ask for their e-mail before they ever even clicked on an article. I also have a small popup box in the bottom right corner that shows up once a user scrolls 60% down any page.

I selected MailChimp because it is free for up to 2,000 e-mails a month. The initial setup I must admit has been more difficult than I thought. Probably because I am new at this, but I found it hard to figure out what I was supposed to set up first and in what order. I am starting to get the hang of it now after a couple of hours of messing with it and my blog.

I can import my current Jetpack users into MailChimp, but I think it will re-send a confirmation e-mail to have them opt-in again. I haven't tried it yet though.

Vivek - Have you gotten any increase in readership yet? Your last post on your blog was June 5th almost 3 months ago. You need to get some more posts cooking if you want to get more readers. Readers don't magically appear, you have to provide something of value for people to want to come.

vivek440

• Stubble
    • Adventures of an Indian Couple after their Financial Independence
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2015, 08:59:07 AM »
Vivek - Have you gotten any increase in readership yet? Your last post on your blog was June 5th almost 3 months ago. You need to get some more posts cooking if you want to get more readers. Readers don't magically appear, you have to provide something of value for people to want to come.

I know Oober...... I haven't posted anything on the blog since ages :-( With so many interesting things happening in life, I am not investing any time on it currently.

I think I will be very irregular on my blog till I am continuing with my full time corporate job. I will be leaving the job in 6-9 months to start the much awaited life exploration :-) I envision that I will be very active on my blog then!

PS: I am enjoying all the views being exchanged by others on this thread :-)

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
Following.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2015, 06:20:27 AM »
Okay quick update on my blog.  August was my 3rd full month of blogging and here are the page views since the beginning.

1st month:  4k page views
2nd month: 7k page views
3rd month:  20k page views

I got super lucky in August though because a huge blog/finance site called Penny Hoarder featured one of my blog posts on their facebook page and they have over 1 million fans.  So that day alone i got 9k views.  I was so ecstatic that day.  All I could do was keep refreshing my stats and watching it go up.  It was amazing!   So if it wasnt for that, I probably would have had just under 10k for my 3rd month which i personally am really impressed with.

Who knows what will happen in September but it will probably be around 10k im thinking, maybe a little less. 

Alchemilla

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
You are all doing so well. Mine is a bloglet by comparison.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2015, 03:38:58 PM »
Hi! I'm updating this thread mostly to plug my recent blog changes (as I feel this is an acceptable place to do so), and also because I actually got over 100 views 2 out of the 3 days right after I posted about my new topic (and shared this info on my personal FB page and on this forum in my journal thread and on one other forum) so that is a big deal for me.

Because of my real life events I've stumbled on to an unusual and fairly universally interesting combination of topics: online/long distance relationships, quickly progressing relationships, moving a long distance for the relationship, moving to a northern community (Yellowknife, Northwest Territories), living in the north. Plus my usual minimalism and other random topics.

Here is the first post where I write about what is currently happening in my life:

http://www.livelikeyou.ca/a-big-life-change-awaits/

The bit of success makes me definitely want to continue with the blogging. So continuing to write a couple times a week is a priority for me. Hopefully I'll be able to reach the 100 hit mark consistently eventually.

passiveKonnoisseur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Passive Konnoisseur
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »
I too just started a blog passivekonnoisseur.com and am not doing so well on the visitors a day. I get a few but I am advertising (something I want to stop doing as soon as there is a steady stream) I think backlinks are important so if anybody would like to share links on their site I will put them on mine.
I am averaging 4 visitors a day.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
Not sure if these have been mentioned, but here's a few resources I really recommend:

General blogging advice
-problogger
-copyblogger
-studiopress blog (for Genesis specific tips)

General framework
-Self hosted Wordpress installation. If you want a blog you can monetize, it's the standard for a reason.
-Genesis by Studiopress. All. Day. Long.

Social media
-Tailwind (pinterest)
-Buffer (full suite of SM integration)
but always remember - social media is SOCIAL. People want interaction. Esp on FB, Twitter - far less on Pint, IG. Can't speak to the other platforms; don't use.

Scheduling
-CoSchedule (also has Social Media sharing component - EXCELLENT for calendar management within WP.)

Lists/Email
-SumoMe (great email gathering tools)
-MailChimp. Intuitive, attractive, roust but expensive. Larger lists are hundreds a month.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2015, 09:59:57 AM »
I think I'm game for jumping in the ring. I've been blogging since around 2005, just for fun. My traffic peaked around 2000 a month, until last November when Google yanked one of my main articles from their search results from a bogus DMCA complaint (I freaking hate Adobe..)

Anyway, since then, my traffic's been about half that, maybe 1000 hits a month. I've started posting regularly in the last month or two, and I'm thinking my main problem is lack of feedback from readers. The people that visit seem to enjoy it... but very few comment or reshare. I'm currently linking my posts to Twitter and my facebook author page. I also recently set up my Google Analytics and Adsense accounts, and have started watching those. I'm comfortable with the layout, and I'm getting stuff in place.

I have very eclectic interests, and I cover a lot of areas with my writing. Cycling, computers, writing, music, theology, frugality (of course). I'm thinking I'm going to need to narrow my focus somewhat in order to reach a target audience.

I want to make the blog better, add more content, and basically figure out what my core audience is, so I can tailor content to that. I want to publish more fiction novels as well, so I'm keeping that in mind.

If anybody wants to see what I've got and tell me (honestly) what they think, go to www.jeffhendricks.net

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
Love this topic! Very inspiring.  I can't commit to the full NaNoWriMo challenge but I will try to write every day and see what I can come up with.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »
For those of you looking for more comments, make sure you install the commentLuv plugin.  It basically allows other bloggers to link their post from their blog when they comment generating a back link.  I know that the comments on my blog definitely went up after installing that.  I mean grant it most of my comments are from other bloggers probably just wanting to link back to their site, it doesn't bother me, they are still reading the article and giving feedback plus it enhances the blog experience with other readers.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2015, 05:59:57 AM »
I have a facebook page about Iceland that has been slowly gaining likes. So take a look if you want and invite your friends. If anyone got tips to increase likes please share.

www.facebook.com/icelandhotspots

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 04:00:09 PM »
Congratulations on your growth. I also have a blog but don't have even close to the amount of visitors you do.  Hope to get there someday.  I have neglected to post recently as we are currently purchasing our next rental property and have been busy with that. I'm sure once we have the keys, I'll have lots of inspiration for various income property related posts.

www.mindfulmoneymatters.com

OOBER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustache Fabber
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2015, 11:27:34 PM »

I know Oober...... I haven't posted anything on the blog since ages :-( With so many interesting things happening in life, I am not investing any time on it currently.

I think I will be very irregular on my blog till I am continuing with my full time corporate job. I will be leaving the job in 6-9 months to start the much awaited life exploration :-) I envision that I will be very active on my blog then!

PS: I am enjoying all the views being exchanged by others on this thread :-)

6 months and no posts. Vivek, post something...anything. A good post with pictures only takes an hour or so if you just sit down and do it. Don't wait, do it now. If you wait until your "life exploration" then suddenly post a bunch of stuff, I think you will quickly realize that you haven't yet built up a reputation or reader base and won't get as many views as you would like.

I am subscribed to CashFlowDiaries newsletter and he posts something just about every week if not more often, which is the way to go. I am not quite there yet, but try to do at least 1-2 posts per month.

SumoME and Mailchimp have been doing well, getting about 30 subscriptions since my last post. The subscriptions and repeat readers have seemed to increase traffic. I am just shy of 5k views per month up from around 2k per month in January. The free tools in MailChimp allow me to make some pretty professional looking newsletter emails even with my limited marketing talent. Sign up for my newsletters to see the free SumoME and Mailchimp apps in action, I haven't paid a dime for either (still using their basic free services as of this post).

Profits from Adsense and Amazon are getting close to being able to cover my hosting and domain expenses. For some reason it seems that the posts that describe how to fix a specific product get a lot more hits and conversions than my more general fabrication/DIY posts. I think this is because the keywords for the name brand products tend to bring in more search engine hits. Just a thought for you guys to consider while making your posts.

The important part is to GET STARTED and do/post something CONSISTENTLY.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
I've been searching for this thread for weeks.

Got my traffic consistently to 100 users a day over the last month. Thanks to getting featured on the wonderful monevator.com and other blogs putting me in their blogroll.

Don't be afraid to ask for others to put you on their list or to include you on their blog.

I'm trying to blog 2-3 times a week. I love it and it's such a release.