Author Topic: Bike 365 days in a row  (Read 20347 times)

Thegoblinchief

Bike 365 days in a row
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »
Throwing down a new challenge. Instead of "bike every day to work in X month" or "only bike to work", how about "ride your bike EVERY DAY"?

I've done this for a week straight and feel great. My stress level is way down, both at work and when I'm homeschooling the goblins.

Here's what I do so I still get plenty of family time:
  • Saturday and Sunday: I bike to work and back. 9.5 miles each way. Legs are finally getting seasoned enough that the return trips aren't murder. I stand on my feet all day and walk an easy 5-10 miles most days
  • Monday-Friday: get up at 4:45AM to stretch and ride before wife has to leave at 7AM. So far the longest ride I've been able to fit in with weather, traffic, and endurance is 16 miles. Doing it EVERY DAY with no recovery day is a new challenge for me. I'm liking how my body responds to it
  • Once my body adjusts to the short rides every morning, I am hoping to do one long ride on a weekday evening if I successfully start or join a bike club

RULES (for me, optional for you should anyone choose to join):
  • You CAN skip a day if you're too sick
  • You CAN'T skip a day for "weather" unless it's something truly unsafe like a hurricane or whiteout blizzard
  • On vacation, bring your bike or find a way to rent one if you traveled by plane.

Some of you may do this already but this is a big challenge for me that I'm hoping I can stick with.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bike 365 days in a row
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
Throwing down a new challenge. Instead of "bike every day to work in X month" or "only bike to work", how about "ride your bike EVERY DAY"?

I've done this for a week straight and feel great. My stress level is way down, both at work and when I'm homeschooling the goblins.

Here's what I do so I still get plenty of family time:
  • Saturday and Sunday: I bike to work and back. 9.5 miles each way. Legs are finally getting seasoned enough that the return trips aren't murder. I stand on my feet all day and walk an easy 5-10 miles most days
  • Monday-Friday: get up at 4:45AM to stretch and ride before wife has to leave at 7AM. So far the longest ride I've been able to fit in with weather, traffic, and endurance is 16 miles. Doing it EVERY DAY with no recovery day is a new challenge for me. I'm liking how my body responds to it
  • Once my body adjusts to the short rides every morning, I am hoping to do one long ride on a weekday evening if I successfully start or join a bike club

RULES (for me, optional for you should anyone choose to join):
  • You CAN skip a day if you're too sick
  • You CAN'T skip a day for "weather" unless it's something truly unsafe like a hurricane or whiteout blizzard
  • On vacation, bring your bike or find a way to rent one if you traveled by plane.

Some of you may do this already but this is a big challenge for me that I'm hoping I can stick with.

Go for it. I've done years where I happen to ride every day (but now that I have kids, some holidays don't feel like they're going to be riding days), and I've ridden at least 340 days/year since at least 2006 (and probably 2001-2004). Once it's a habit, it seems like a much bigger deal to NOT go for a ride! Other than skiing trips and winter holiday trips to visit family in the northeast, I typically bring an S&S coupled road bike with me when I travel.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
If I lived in the same city I work, I would probably do this challenge. But I work in Yellowknife three weeks in a row, followed by a two-week stint at home in Calgary where I basically use my bike to run errands around the neighbourhood. While in Yellowknife, I house-sit instead of paying rent, and usually bike to and from work as well as to run errands. This time however, I am house-sitting in a nice condo two blocks from my office, so my bike will be sitting in my office for three weeks. I miss biking but it is quicker to zip up my goose down parka and head out than gearing up to face the -35 temperature.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »
@Undecided - Wow. Obviously I want to do the full 365 but realistically I'd be ecstatic if I hit 340+. It helps that any vacations we take are going to be by car anyways.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »
@Undecided - Wow. Obviously I want to do the full 365 but realistically I'd be ecstatic if I hit 340+. It helps that any vacations we take are going to be by car anyways.

If you have sufficiently understanding traveling companions, I would suggest trips like the "I ride, you drive" trips I've done with my wife. When we're in transit, I'll ride four or five hours, she'll sleep in and see the town we're leaving, then we'll meet for lunch and I drive to the next spot. This is more challenging when small children are involved (although if you have a way of hauling a child trailer on the car, there are fun opportunities to be had there, too).

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »
That's a neat idea, thanks for sharing :)

No idea if my wife would go for it. She already thinks I'm a member of a biking cult...lol

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:06:52 AM »
The weather is laughing at me.

Day I made the challenge: sleet storm
Today: Snow so bad it was falling sideways, and I forgot to store my bike inside, so my rear derailleur was completely frozen stuck.

Paulie

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:45 AM »
Great challenge!

I've been riding my bike for (almost) every day since I was 12 years old, but in a hill-poor small country, that's not really an achievement. We also did the occasional holiday-on-bike, maybe that's a nice idea for when your kids are a bit older (we had the first one when I was 8, and I'm the youngest). We would bike from campground to campground (with my parents carrying most of the stuff) for two weeks or so.

I hope your make it!

Little House

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Little House in the Valley
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
Biking 365 days is impressive! I love my bike and live really close to work. I bike three days a week and give myself one or two days for driving - usually because I have a ton of stuff to take there or back. This motivates me to bike more! Way to go!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
Biking 365 days is impressive! I love my bike and live really close to work. I bike three days a week and give myself one or two days for driving - usually because I have a ton of stuff to take there or back. This motivates me to bike more! Way to go!

Have you picked up a bike trailer? Kid-centered trailers are the most common on the used market but there's quite a few cargo only trailers for bikes. Unless what you're carrying is very long or exceeds your body weight, a trailer will let you carry it. I've done ~250 pounds of combined kid, groceries, and other stuff. Not ideal but doable unless you have a massive grade to climb or go down (extra weight can really stress the brakes).

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 03:00:25 PM »
Nothing to add to the biking thing, but this made me remember when a co-worker turned 21. He vowed to drink at least 1 beer every single day while he was 21 years old. We tended to get off work around 10 pm (summer warehouse job in college) but sometimes the bosses would call mandatory overtime which usually lasted until about 11:45. This meant his only option was to get to the nearest bar ASAP, which happened to be a hardcore biker bar. To my knowledge he kept the streak alive. Thanks OP for bringing back this fun memory.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 02:23:42 PM »
Wow, I am super impressed at anyone attempting this challenge!

I rock the following excuses of weakness:
- I am le tired...
- Ekk! Moisture outside!? In California??
- I'm up! I'm up! I'm down.....

I would also need to find a way to bike up in to LA for the weekend visits... which is uhh... terrifying to imagine.

Good luck ye brave souls!
Note: Anyone that accomplishes this in full should get a medal to their avatar: Ironman Biker

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
So far it's going well. My default biking time is getting up at 4:45AM, doing my stretching routine, and getting out the door and cranking about 15-20 miles. Whatever I have time to get in before the DW has to leave for work.

If I have a really hard time getting up, I bike after dinner.

Weekends, as I said in the original post, I have my commute built in.

At this pace I'll do about 6-7K miles a year, but I'm hoping to get a bike club started that would do an extra 50 miles a week. Maybe.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 06:29:51 AM »
First 30 days down. Most of the month my body has been content to eat away at body fat, but I'm starting to go through a huge protein craving again.

Going well, super psyched for nicer weather!

Edit: forgot to add that I did miss two days when I got a nasty virus, and then a third day when my wife caught the same bug and was so sick I didn't want to leave her to the tender mercies of our goblins.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:34:11 AM by Thegoblinchief »

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 06:35:48 AM »
Wow, 30 days in the winter!  Spring is coming so things should be easier.  Congratulations.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »
Wow, 30 days in the winter!

I have done 80-90% of the days since October, most of them with my old MTB but the Trek FX 7500 I'm riding now is actually quite a bit more capable in sloppy conditions. A lighter frame and different tire size (700x35) goes a long way to maintaining control. I plan to get a studded tire for the rear for next winter. Not sure about the front yet, the fork clearance is pretty tight there.

If I can make it through this last winter, I'm in good shape for most winters here ;)

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 02:37:26 PM »
Waaay better than 30 in a row in the winter.  I am impressed.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »
Patched my first tube and still had time to get the ride in. Still going strong!

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 06:11:53 AM »
Interesting challenge. I've ridden my bike a lot, but I'm not sure I've ever done a full 365 days a year. There have been many times when I've done six days a week, and some periods where I did seven, but I'm sure there would always be travel or other events that would break up my streak.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
Vacation is kicking my ass. Friends here are night owls to the extreme. So my whole rhythm is off.

Going to miss the last couple days because I hurt my ankle and am getting a stomach virus, or some sort of awfulness caused by being out of whack. Yay.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
Back in the swing of things!

Took advantage of a beautiful Easter Sunday to get my longest ride to date: 36 miles. I probably could have cracked 50 but ran out of water and wanted to get back home and enjoy daylight with the DW :)

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »
More power to you--not sure how I could get away from family for those sorts of excursions. I rode every day this week for the first time this year, and it felt great!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »

Took advantage of a beautiful Easter Sunday to get my longest ride to date: 36 miles. I probably could have cracked 50 but ran out of water and wanted to get back home and enjoy daylight with the DW :)

Nice! I did 40 RT to a friend's house for lunch and an egg hunt for his kid. It was soooo nice, I even got a little sunburned (which is ok with me!)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 11:20:07 AM »
More power to you--not sure how I could get away from family for those sorts of excursions. I rode every day this week for the first time this year, and it felt great!

My wife is very understanding and patient with me.

Nice! I did 40 RT to a friend's house for lunch and an egg hunt for his kid. It was soooo nice, I even got a little sunburned (which is ok with me!)

Hah, I got my first sunburn last week! Definitely the first time that's ever happened in April.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 06:53:37 AM »
Going to try and be better about actively tracking my miles, because looking at all the money I've spent on bike gear and estimating my cost per mile is a bit sobering compared to my car.

Bike $ spent in 2014: $563
Mileage (estimate): 1524
Cost per mile: $0.37/mile
Cost per mile for my car: ~$0.45/mile

Obviously I love the fitness aspect and I feel great, but that's um...enlightening or depressing, take your pick. The CPM should go down as I no longer need to buy basic stuff like pumps, fenders, etc --> But this gives me a great incentive to track ALL of my miles! :D

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 07:37:47 AM »
Going to try and be better about actively tracking my miles, because looking at all the money I've spent on bike gear and estimating my cost per mile is a bit sobering compared to my car.

Bike $ spent in 2014: $563
Mileage (estimate): 1524
Cost per mile: $0.37/mile
Cost per mile for my car: ~$0.45/mile

Obviously I love the fitness aspect and I feel great, but that's um...enlightening or depressing, take your pick. The CPM should go down as I no longer need to buy basic stuff like pumps, fenders, etc --> But this gives me a great incentive to track ALL of my miles! :D

lol yep even biking costs $$$ ;-)

FWIW last time I did a rough calculation I was around $0.10/mile not including bike-to-work incentives, and I'm pretty spendy. You'll get there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:40:54 AM by Russ »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »
Hope the rainy week didn't mess with your head too much. I know I had a hard time getting out of bed a few mornings...

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 07:58:43 AM »
Rain sucks. Our bike club ride on Monday night was just awful.

And now that I think about it, if I only count depreciation on my bike (like I do with the car), my cost per mile is already more like $0.19.

But I won't do that, since I doubt I'll ever sell this bike. As long as I don't manage to toast the frame, it's going to be my most versatile ride.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
Caught a worn chain just in time (~3/32nds). I had no idea that chains needed to be checked for wear until GuitarStv mentioned it in a different thread. Just got back from a short test ride and thankfully the new chain runs great, so I think I am AOK.

The chain tool I got works great for popping the pins out (slightly trickier to pop it back in, but I got it after a few minutes of swearing): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIE4EK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with what appears to be a generic chain, but seems to get great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CN6QA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
yeah that's a decent chain. I use the 10s equivalent.

you may already know this, but next time only push the pin out to the last plate, not all the way out. makes it way easier to push back in. don't do this with fancy schmancy expensive chains, but it'll tell you on the package if you aren't supposed to reuse the pins.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »
Hit my fitness goal for 2014 by biking 50 miles! Averaged just under 14 mph.

Saw a bajillion rabbits, a very large woodchuck, a coyote, brand-new goslings - oh, and cops arresting a homeless person.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
Had a link break on the new chain at about mile 65. Not sure if it was user error when I pressed the link pin back in the first time (this time I used Russ' advice about not pressing it out all the way) or this cheaper chain can't handle the stress of a 200+ pound extra load (had the Frankentrailer full loaded with goblins today).

If 1-2 more links break, that will give me the answer....

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 03:17:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about the chain... hate to break it to you but I'd guess user error. The extra load shouldn't really affect anything, mechanically.

I don't know if you've been carrying a chain tool & pins with you but I carry these http://kmcchain.us/connectortype/8-speed-below-ml/ for trail repairs, they take up way less space

congrats on the 50 miles

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »
Hey, a little late to the party, but I'm picking up that gauntlet! I'm starting my clock May 1st, 2014. I'm gonna get on the ol' steel horse every day until April 30, 2015.

(Man, I can't believe I'm doing this.)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 06:42:27 AM »
Hey, a little late to the party, but I'm picking up that gauntlet! I'm starting my clock May 1st, 2014. I'm gonna get on the ol' steel horse every day until April 30, 2015.

(Man, I can't believe I'm doing this.)

Welcome! Remember, it's okay to miss a day if you're sick or the weather is life-threatening. I missed yesterday because a migraine laid me out on my back. Ugh.

In fact, weird health issues have kept me from getting 30 days straight, but hopefully that will change once the weather stops ping-ponging so much.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »
I don't know if I will be able to do it, but I've ridden at least 1 mile every day since May 1st. I've commuted 4 of those days. I started for Nation Bike Challenge, but I've wanted to do it for a while.
Had to drive to work today, but I will still ride...

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »
Biked 32 goblin-encumbered (175 pounds including trailer) miles today.

It was our first true summer-weather day (80s) so we spent all day outside, cycling between various locations.

Kinda crazy when you consider that this is the energy equivalent of an average sized adult (say 150 lbs) biking 80 miles. I should do an "adult equivalent century" now :P

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
Biked 32 goblin-encumbered (175 pounds including trailer) miles today.

It was our first true summer-weather day (80s) so we spent all day outside, cycling between various locations.

Kinda crazy when you consider that this is the energy equivalent of an average sized adult (say 150 lbs) biking 80 miles. I should do an "adult equivalent century" now :P

How did you calculate that?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »

How did you calculate that?
[/quote]

I'm 200ish, so 375 pounds total. 375/200=2.5 "adult equivalent" ratio. 32*2.5=80.

Hand-wavy silly math, but still kinda cool in my book.

When I go to Lowe's to refill on charcoal, I'm going to go ahead and price out materials for a scratch-build trailer and then set a time to learn/use/enlist my BIL's welding expertise. Any longer rides and my girls get sore from the cramped seating in Frankentrailer 1.0.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
Oh no! Failure!

A qote-unquote "perfect storm" of exploded tubes, large amounts of cargo without a rack on the backup bike, and a very full schedule means I went two days -- TWO DAYS! -- driving around like some chump. So I'm looking at a very pathetic 29 out of 31 days biked in May.

But I'm still sticking with the challenge. It has gotten me onto my bike many days when I would have wussed out and driven or stayed on the couch.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
Oh no! Failure!

A qote-unquote "perfect storm" of exploded tubes, large amounts of cargo without a rack on the backup bike, and a very full schedule means I went two days -- TWO DAYS! -- driving around like some chump. So I'm looking at a very pathetic 29 out of 31 days biked in May.

But I'm still sticking with the challenge. It has gotten me onto my bike many days when I would have wussed out and driven or stayed on the couch.

Stick with it! I will end up with 30 of 31 (migraine one day).

Trailers are good for cargo.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
June's in the bag. Biked 26 out of 30 days.

Failure days:
1. Needed to get across town on a tight schedule during the workday, then worked until 9pm, then went home and packed for a camping trip.
2. Was camping! Yay!
3. Headache & sleep all day. Didn't leave house at all
4. Ran errands in my car clown car, didn't optimize time.

Total miles: 197 (vs 246 last month)

I'm still pretty happy with this month overall. The fewer miles are because with June's heat and humidity, biking largely felt utilitarian -- I didn't go on a leisure ride until the 29th! Most rides were as short as possible, not many scenic detours or exploratory scouting adventures this month.

Lots of rain in southwest Ohio in June, and I managed to dodge almost all of it. I realized how much people obsess over weather they won't be exposed to save for the walk to their car. Knowing I'll be biking in all weather has made me more blase. I should probably get rain gear eventually, though, for those rare rides in where I get caught in the rain.

I will be on vacation in Hawaii for 12 of the 31 days in July. I have soft plans to rent bikes with my girlfriend while we are there, but I am ok going with the flow. In the spirit of eliminating car-clownism we won't be renting our own car -- we'll be walking, biking, taking the bus, and ride-sharing with family's rental cars as much as possible. (Oh, and please ignore the 20 hours of airplane travel when determining how wasteful our travel footprint is.)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »
I should probably get rain gear eventually, though, for those rare rides in where I get caught in the rain.

I wouldn't bother until fall rolls around. The extra sweat when wearing rain gear in hot temps kinda defeats the whole "keeping dry" part. It's when rain happens at 55F or colder that you'll want a jacket at the very least. Marmot's PreCip is excellent. I scored mine at STP with a DealFlyer coupon for about $40ish.

For warm rain, I switch to athletic sandals like Teva or Merrill to avoid getting a pair of shoes soaked for a couple days.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »
yeah forget about rain gear unless it's gonna make you hypothermic ATMO. You'll be wet for an hour, so what. Moist shoes on the ride home are kinda gross if rained on in the morning, but I can dry them overnight by setting them in front of a box fan.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2014, 06:17:05 PM »
End of June!

By my count, I have done 135 days, with 4 "excused" absences (1 DW sick, 3 because I was sick). 0 "unexcused" absences.

Mileage since I started the challenge is ~2,200.

My current biking cost per mile is $0.22 including the full purchase price of my bike and all gear, and no estimated resale values to recoup.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »
bitchin'!

More related to the National Bike Challenge than this thread, but I've ridden every day in May and June. Hope to go through to the end of September, but I have a trip to Europe coming up so we'll see how that goes.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 08:01:09 AM »
Sick with something just awful right now. Wonder how many days I will miss. Ugh.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »
Hey Goblin Chief -

How is the challenge going? I'm way impressed. I need to step it up. :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 11:08:14 AM »
Hey Goblin Chief -

How is the challenge going? I'm way impressed. I need to step it up. :)

You can see the status update a few posts up. 135 days with a few missed ones because of illness.

Right now it's depressing because I WANT to be on my bike, but my leg wounds got infected and laid me on my back for a few days. Overdid it yesterday by biking to work and then being on my feet all day, so today I'm home with an ankle that's double the size of the other. I'll probably miss a few more days, but the NP wasn't very helpful when I asked about activity restrictions. It doesn't hurt that badly, but I don't want to let the swelling get worse either.

Being forced to be off my feet is NOT pleasant. Grr.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!