Author Topic: Badass whel spoke repair  (Read 5641 times)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
Badass whel spoke repair
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
I plan to change many broken spoke on my rear wheel (cassette side) but meanwhile, I just butt-joint them with this wire joining device. Cost 50 cents for 5 of them, 5 minutes to install. Work just fine !

Philo Beddoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Badass whel spoke repair
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
I like your ingenuity, but as a former bicycle shop employee and wheel builder, this is absolutely ridiculous. Spokes are cheap. Go to a shop and have them replace all drive-side spokes. It shouldn't cost more than $20.

Have you noticed your brakes rub? This is because you cannot properly tension a spoke that has been joined like the one in your photo.

Also, if they are breaking in the middle (odd) I have to wonder if maybe the whole wheel needs tensioning or if maybe it's a really lightweight wheel (too light) for your needs.

I'm all about frugal, but this is dangerous.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 06:28:45 AM »
Philo Beddoe, another exemple of the dirt cheap cost of life in the US (healthcare aside). Everything is like 40% cheaper than here in Canada.

The bikeshops use to charge 12$ to change 1 spoke ! After the 2nd one, I decided to buy 2 of them as spares, I bought 8mm longer then needed and dog-legged them (DIY style) to replace without removing the freewheel. Still cost 2,50$ each for a sub-optimal job. Finaly, I found this quick-cheap solution to complete the season.

The spokes used to break near the hub, It's like 1.8mm spokes and a lot of miles on them. I'll replace with 2mm and be safe for many years.

Because it's my commuter, repairs have to be fast and keep the machine working. It's wintertime now and proper repair will be done before april.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
Since your already this badass, why not just replace the broken spokes yourself?    You might need a tensioning tool and cassette removal tools, but you need those anyway to grease the bearings for the life of the hub ( which extends ten times if you grease the bearings)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »
Thats exactly my plan, this wheel set is the one I use on my mountain bike for comuting (april to novembre). Over that period, I see a BIG difference making 5minutes/20 cents repair instead of the complete job. Now, I will change all spokes on the drive side by myself. I got all the tools and a lot of time ahead.

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
I like your ingenuity, but as a former bicycle shop employee and wheel builder, this is absolutely ridiculous. Spokes are cheap. Go to a shop and have them replace all drive-side spokes. It shouldn't cost more than $20.

Have you noticed your brakes rub? This is because you cannot properly tension a spoke that has been joined like the one in your photo.

Also, if they are breaking in the middle (odd) I have to wonder if maybe the whole wheel needs tensioning or if maybe it's a really lightweight wheel (too light) for your needs.

I'm all about frugal, but this is dangerous.

+1 Be careful with this.  You don't want to end up with a $2,500 hospital bill because you tried to save $5.  It is clever though.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
what the fuck. go buy a new wheel dude, you've just effectively fucked up every single other spoke on that wheel by riding it like this.

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:51:29 AM »
what the fuck. go buy a new wheel dude, you've just effectively fucked up every single other spoke on that wheel by riding it like this.

HaHa.  Well that is another way of putting it.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »
Didn't know wheel spokes are now considered rocket science

I biked about 100 miles this way and now, everything is replaced with brand new spokes

Maybe I just posted it on wrong forum section...

Btw, I'm fine !

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:29:37 PM »
Didn't know wheel spokes are now considered rocket science

I biked about 100 miles this way and now, everything is replaced with brand new spokes

Maybe I just posted it on wrong forum section...

Btw, I'm fine !

Good to hear. Its not rocket science, but you don't want you wheel to catastrophically fail on you while your going downhill at 30+ mph.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »
I get the point

Maybe the "get a new wheel" comment went to far (from a Mustachian)

Made me think about the "biking is dangerous" we ear all the time

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
They are not rocket science, but they are part of a mechanical system that requires its parts to share the load equally. When you cripple one with a half-ass "fix" you intend to leave as-is for months, you cripple the wheel.

As for the danger, biking with unsound equipment is dangerous. It would be irresponsible of me to encourage that, and I suggested a new wheel instead of a rebuild because based on the information in this thread I wouldn't trust you to have it done properly.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
Russ, when I post on that "share your Badassity" section, it´s usualy something I consider "Badass"

I dont recommend it to anyone nor suggest it if safe

You know, I was Mustachian long before the mame exist. I do leverage with index stock, I got high deductible insurances, I mow my own lawn, change my brake disk & pads on my car etc. Probably very lucky, shit happen to everyone else but never to me.

Maybe you missed "Safety is an expensive illusion" another anthology piece !

First I tought I was one of the most Badass in my own town, now I think I am one of the most Badass in the MMM community

Take care ;)

Philo Beddoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
To the OP, I apologize. After reading all of these posts I feel like we've unleashed on you! I was just concerned from a safety standpoint. I have personally stayed overnight in a hospital due to a bicycle mishap...not fun.

Too bad things are that pricey in Canada. Can't you order spokes from shops in the US? Ordering say 32 spokes all cut to the proper length might be affordable even with shipping.

Replacing spokes is fairly easy. I know you already had them all replaced. When I first learned to build wheels I did it by reading the instructions by Sheldon Brown: http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

To do the work yourself all you need is a few items. You can make a dishing tool out of wood, so all you would need to buy is a spoke wrench ($5,) a chain whip (or you can make one of these too out of a piece of old chain...but you will need a chain tool), and a cassette tool ($10.) The wheel can even be built or trued pretty damned good in the frame or fork, forgoing the need for a truing stand. It's actually pretty fun and fairly easy.

Happy biking!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
Philo, I just asked my bikeshop to remove the freewheel for free. Than changed the spokes one by one. No need for trueing coz it´s stayed true all the time. The bike shop gave me a wheel for free spokes where fine but rim was bent. I have been able to do all this for FREE because I was patient  and planned every step carefully. Took 4 hours but, I increased my skills once again. I will never be doomed.

When I read the safety comments, I was thinking; do these guys realize what is danger ? Peolple dies in fights every day, child dies from disease etc just because there not blessed to be born in America, lack of water, food. Being a journalist in Libia is dangerous. Thats danger, really

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »
When I read the safety comments, I was thinking; do these guys realize what is danger ? Peolple dies in fights every day, child dies from disease etc just because there not blessed to be born in America, lack of water, food. Being a journalist in Libia is dangerous. Thats danger, really

This is such bullshit I don't even know where to start. There is nothing noble about deliberately putting yourself in harm's way for months just to postpone spending a few huards on a repair.  And as a bicycle engineer I would like to think I know exactly how dangerous it can be.  There is nothing frugal about ignoring an inexpensive fix only to have that balloon into a more costly problem later. When you fall and break your arm, think of how that impacts people's impressions of the dangers of cycling. That's massive compared to some dude on the internet hollering at you to keep your equipment in good shape.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »
Ask Bono if bicycle riding is potentially dangerous.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »

This is such bullshit I don't even know where to start. There is nothing noble about deliberately putting yourself in harm's way for months just to postpone spending a few huards on a repair.  And as a bicycle engineer I would like to think I know exactly how dangerous it can be.  There is nothing frugal about ignoring an inexpensive fix only to have that balloon into a more costly problem later. When you fall and break your arm, think of how that impacts people's impressions of the dangers of cycling. That's massive compared to some dude on the internet hollering at you to keep your equipment in good shape.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

Should this rude comment be reported to Moderator ?

Man, I'm 42 and NEVER been seriously injured. Every injury have been solved with a Band-Aid. I learned to bike before you're parents tink about to procreate. I builded bikes from scrap at 11 years old (paint, wiring, bearings, tires). I did so in an era where nobody ever think of wearing a helmet to bike (btw, motorcycling without helmet wtf ?!). Newborn use to come back home in their mom´s harms etc etc etc.

I dont want peolple getting bad impression about biking because of my post, nor being the cause of thousans of accidents or kills. Youtube "fail XD compilations" are nothing, I bring it to another level.

You know what, take care of your butt, I will do the same with mine.

If you really are a Moderator (OMG), you should just delete the whole thread before the mondial bike wreckage begin, by my fault.

Take deep breath, stress is dangerous
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:00:47 PM by Le Barbu »

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »
Take deep breath, stress is dangerous

I agree.

And from words of a famous "ULTRA MUSTACHIAN" Hubert Kriegel, "Don't forget to take a risk today."

I for one enjoyed this badass, temporary fix. Who new it would be so controversial. Nice job Le Barbu.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 09:32:12 AM »
Thank you bigalsmith101, thats exactly the essence of my original post. I did this "temporary" repair on a tuesday nigth and just think afterward it´s kinda badass. It was not intended to save few buck or anything else. Anyway, when something break on your bike on the way to work or in the middle of nowhere ? Call mom ? A cab ? 911 ? Noway, find a solution and carry on.

Last summer, I fixed my car À/C myself. Removed clutch/bearing assembly, changed the bearing, resurfaced the clutch with a file, remove a 10mil shim. Done. Worked 1/2 day, cost 10$, new skills etc. The garage quoted 600$ for the job. Anyway, better not to post it here, and getting bashed for a reason I cannot imagine.

I achived such a high level of badassity I just dont realize how normal people miss the whole process.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
Thank you bigalsmith101, thats exactly the essence of my original post....
...Last summer, I fixed my car À/C myself. Removed clutch/bearing assembly, changed the bearing, resurfaced the clutch with a file, remove a 10mil shim. Done. Worked 1/2 day, cost 10$, new skills etc. The garage quoted 600$ for the job. Anyway, better not to post it here, and getting bashed for a reason I cannot imagine.

I achived such a high level of badassity I just dont realize how normal people miss the whole process.

Buuuut, you're mustachian. You should have just removed the entire A/C unit itself, you don't even need it. Plus, you could have hurt yourself when fixing it. That was dangerous...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 10:58:55 AM »
Thank you bigalsmith101, thats exactly the essence of my original post....
...Last summer, I fixed my car À/C myself. Removed clutch/bearing assembly, changed the bearing, resurfaced the clutch with a file, remove a 10mil shim. Done. Worked 1/2 day, cost 10$, new skills etc. The garage quoted 600$ for the job. Anyway, better not to post it here, and getting bashed for a reason I cannot imagine.

Buuuut, you're mustachian. You should have just removed the entire A/C unit itself, you don't even need it. Plus, you could have hurt yourself when fixing it. That was dangerous...

+1 you're awsome !

FYI, I DID hurt myself because of the narrow space. Probably THE reason pros dont do it this way. They remove everything, install new pieces, reload the system and charge 600$. Back of my hands recovered in 48hours.

This morning, repaired the DW hairdryer. Wire cut once every 2 years. Cut, solded, done ! Heu, wait, was that DANGEROUS ?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »
This morning, repaired the DW hairdryer. Wire cut once every 2 years. Cut, solded, done ! Heu, wait, was that DANGEROUS ?

Only if you left it plugged in while you fixed it....