Author Topic: August is $100 food month!  (Read 13236 times)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
August is $100 food month!
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
I need to plow through my pantry during the month of August. I have last year's pickles and jam and elk and moose in my freezer. Canning season is upon us and hunting season is only a month away - gotta make room! To that end my food budget for August is $100. I'm saving money and cleaning out my kitchen.

Between my pantry, my freezer, and my producing August garden, this should be easily doable.  You in?

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: August is $100 food month!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:03:49 AM »
I'm in. I've spent less than $100/month on food for the last two months.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »
Thanks for joining in Herbert derp!

Tally so far at regular store: 
$1.49 on oatmeal*
$2.48 on 2 bars of baker's chocolate
$3.04 on ground beef
$0.64 on tomatoes
$3.00 on avocados.

I utilized $5 worth of coupons to get that down to $10.65.

At a clearance/outlet store:
$0.89 on curry
$0.69 on my favorite poblano Alfredo
$0.89 on a jar of Planter's Nut-trition
$2.99 on Organic chicken base
$2.99 on Organic beef base

For a clearance store total of: $8.45

Week one total is $19.10  A tad higher than I would like to be, but I expect the foods above to pay dividends in working with the food I already possessed.

*Honestly, I am thinking of returning this.  It was supposed to be $0.49 not $1.49, but didn't notice until I got home.  Really bad value at that price. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »
^Don't make a special trip; just save it to return the next time you shop.

I'm in.  This morning I will go buy flour, sugar, yeast, pasta, and perishables.  Not sure I can do it for a family of 3, but it will be fun to try!  I do have a fair amount of food stockpiled in my house that needs to be used up, and my tiny garden is cranking out bell pepper bounty.  I am committed to no restaurants this month!

Herbert, your food budget is impressive.  I'm pretty sure I spend at least $30-40 per week on groceries at your age, and you crush me even with 20 years of inflation factored in.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »
^Don't make a special trip; just save it to return the next time you shop.

Good call.  I loaded it w/ receipt into my car today so next time I go it is already in there!  That along with another item I need to return as well. 

Thanks for joining us Zamboni and for the tips.   I've managed $100 a couple times this year too, but even if you don't keep it to $100 (especially since your family is larger than just me!) at least you will get rid of the back of the pantry items and save some this month:)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
Coming a little late to the party, but I'm in too!

Although, we are on vacation starting the 24th.
There is two of us and we have a couple of big events coming up, a birthday and housewarming/pre-wedding potluck with those who won't be able to join us in September. I think we might me able to still make it.

We are in Northern BC too so food prices are substantially higher - but it is huckleberry season :) We don't have a garden but a fully stocked pantry.

jen_saves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »
I'm in for this one too. I've already taken the cash out of my account. I'll have to hunt up my receipts, but I've already spent about $20 on a gallon of milk, sour cream, cheese, eggs, bananas, tortillas, blueberries, and cream cheese. I have a vegetable CSA share that'll cover all my non-fruit produce for the month, so this should be doable.

Note: I'm a single person, so this shouldn't be too difficult, but I've been a bit spendy in the food category the past couple months and I want to bring it down.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »
$100 for how many people?  There are eight here and two hungry teenagers. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »
Wow I would think for 8 people you could spend a little more :) How about choosing a number which is a bit of a stretch compared to your normal food budget?

I haven't had to go to the store yet. Ran out of milk, but know that I usually only have milk on hand for my morning coffees, so I have been drinking tea instead. Will have to break down and grab a bag of onions soon though.

Rather proud of ourselves for not going out for dinner or buying some fancy ingredients to make a birthday dinner today. Instead found some old sliced flank in the freezer, rescued some carrots that were getting dried out and used up some freeze dried green onions and managed to make a very tasty ginger beef stirfry.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
$100 for 8 certainly won't work unless you got a massively stocked pantry already!  What do you normally spend for 8?

We normally spend ~$300/month on groceries for three people.  We live large on this:  unnecessarily expensive stuff like fancy yogurt, frozen waffles, soda, premium beer, granola bars, bread that someone else baked or cheese that someone else grated.  The children have hot school lunches, which I am not counting in this challenge bc they are ridiculously over-priced ($2 per day each just for them to have lunch.)   So, I am focusing on reducing groceries, eating what is here, and having a ban on eating out this month other than one work lunch that is planned (and those pesky hot lunches at school.)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 12:18:08 AM »
Thanks for joining everyone!  Hope this is a good exercise for each of you.  For me, it's about pushing my savings this month and emptying the older items out of the pantry and freezer.

Example: I have about 10 cans of garbanzo beans.  I use these for hummus and during the fall with a butternut squash recipe.  I purchased the case of them over a year ago.  I decided last night that I had to find a way to use some of them.  I sauteed them in some evoo until they had a little crisp, and then coated them in chipotle powder.  I put some of those and some mozzarella in a tortilla and browned that a bit in a pan.  Garbanzo bean quesadilla!  Felt pretty creative, LOL!   I took the rest of the beans and blended it with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and evoo to make chipotle hummus. 

Did anyone else get creative with their back of the cupboard food?  Would love to hear what people are eating:) 

Tami

Costco:
Bucket o' Feta: $6.89
Balsalmic Vinegar: 10.99
Total: $17.88

I am eating cucumber, tomato and red onion with balsamic, evoo, and feta for lunch every day.  My garden is throwing a TON of cucumbers and I'm plucking red onion from there too.  My tomatoes should be ripe enough to start picking in two days or so.  Oh, and that bottle of vinegar will last me over a year - quite possibly two:)  The feta should last about 2 weeks.

Safeway:
Returned oatmeal and other item for a refund of $4.97. 
Brown Sugar: $2.49
Tomatoes: $0.95
M&M's: $1.98 (This was a fail.  I admit it.  I was hungry and the PB M&M's called out to me.  Here's hoping no regrets August 25th!)
Total of $0.42 spent.  Used change from bottom of purse:) 

Running August total: $37.43

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:27:59 AM by Tami1982 »

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 12:29:16 AM »
WTG swick!  That sounds great - way to use what you've got on hand and you should be proud about not making excuses to go out!  Every win is worth celebrating:)

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:06 PM »
$100 for 8 certainly won't work unless you got a massively stocked pantry already!  What do you normally spend for 8?

I hate to say it, but normal is about $1000/mo. I have two tall thin teenagers who are trying to gain weight for football. They eat around 4000-6000 calories/day. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Our red meat is given to us by my FIL, who raises a few grass fed cows each year. But we buy chicken and fish. Hubby and I do green juices too, which is not cheap. My garden is starting to produce, so I'm sure I could lower it $100. When football is over, I'd like to be at about $700/mo.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »
My garden is starting to produce, so I'm sure I could lower it $100. When football is over, I'd like to be at about $700/mo.

That sounds like a great challenge.  Why not start there?  Staying on $100 is pretty easy for those of us with 1-3 people in our house.  Especially if we have a full pantry/freezer.  But cutting $100 is a great challenge for someone with a larger family.  Keep us updated - let us know how it goes!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 11:52:11 PM »
What is everyone making to stretch out their food budget?

found a couple of sausages in the freezer, cooked some white beans in the crockpot and used some of our old jar of sun-dried tomatoes that has been hiding in the back of the fridge to make soup. Had an unexpected last minute dinner guest who thought it was awesome :)

Also made some Tahini cookies and some "raw" treats to have on hand for when we are feeling munchy.

We have also been eating lots of popcorn with various spices - smoked paprika, garlic, sea salt and cumin makes for a great topping!

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »
I have done a couple things to use up supplies on hand. 
1) Made Saltine Toffee Brittle with stale crackers.  http://makelifedelicious.com/2009/01/saltine-toffee/
2) Made blackberry and triple berry jam with frozen berries.
3) Made several pounds of elk jerky from meat in the freezer.
4) Made Cheese Veggie Sausage Casserole (Had all supplies on hand.) https://www.morningstarfarms.com/recipes/cheesy-veggie-sausage-casserole-recipe
5) Canned green beans from garden
6) Made curried beef stew with frozen 50% off stew meat, veggies from freezer and garden and curry paste I had frozen from previous meal.
7) Made veggie stock with frozen veggie scraps I hoard.

Also made some Tahini cookies and some "raw" treats to have on hand for when we are feeling munchy.

We have also been eating lots of popcorn with various spices - smoked paprika, garlic, sea salt and cumin makes for a great topping!

Your popcorn sounds amazing!  I have all those ingredients on hand and will have to try that soon.  And I have a jar of Tahini I have been working on for about 18 months.  Yeah, it totally expired in July 2012.  I just take that as a recommendation, LOL!!  What are Tahini cookies?  Can I use up some of this stuff?  I only use it for hummus and my recipe only calls for a few tablespoons. 

I also have a giant Costco jar of sundried tomatoes that is over 3/4 full.  I definitely need to find a way to use that up too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:11:37 AM by Tami1982 »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 12:16:43 AM »
Sounds like you have been very busy, Tami1982!

The giant costco sun-dried tomatoes! We have about a 1/4 left in our jar, been working at it for over a year. I usually chop some up and add to anything I make with a tomato sauce base. Did make a sun-dried tomato compound butter that turned out good. And made sun-dried tomato bagels. I still have lots left.

These are the tahini cookies: http://thegracefulkitchen.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/15-minute-tahini-cookies/

Super simple tahini, sugar (I used coconut sap) and and egg. They are fairly crumbly and I would add a touch more sap next time, but easy and quick!

The popcorn is extra good if you mix the spices into some melted butter, makes it stick on the popcorn better (bonus, you don't accidentally snort spice up your nose when you try and eat it!)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
Sounds like you have been very busy, Tami1982!
Seriously insanely busy and it continued.  A woman posted an ad on craigslist saying she had several very full plum trees and would people please come and take them?  Um, yes!  My best friend and I picked about a 5 gallon bucket's worth of plums this morning.  It took about 15 minutes.  There were TONS of them, and six people came before us!  We then went back to my place and made plum jam, plum fruit leather, and cut some in half and put them on the dehydrator, ate lots fresh and then I took some into work to share. 

The giant costco sun-dried tomatoes! We have about a 1/4 left in our jar, been working at it for over a year. I usually chop some up and add to anything I make with a tomato sauce base.

These are the tahini cookies: http://thegracefulkitchen.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/15-minute-tahini-cookies/

The popcorn is extra good if you mix the spices into some melted butter, makes it stick on the popcorn better (bonus, you don't accidentally snort spice up your nose when you try and eat it!)

I am going to start doing that too - just adding them to anything tomato based.  I have to get through them!  Those cookies look super tasty - will make those this weekend if I have enough tahini in the jar.   

Oh, you person after my buttery heart!  I will totally mix the spices into the butter for a tasty, nostril safe, snack:) 

And lastly, I went to that discount/clearance store again and scored the deal of all deals.  It's right next to work, so this may become a shopping habit - going to have to watch it.    I purchased two packs of thirty Stretch fruit leathers for $3.38.  60 fruit leathers for $3.38!  That's about $0.06 a serving!  (These sell for $0.59, maybe 2 for $1 on sale at grocery stores.)  This is one of those healthy, nice convenient foods to have around just in case.   

I also picked up fruit pectin for jam, but couldn't decide if that counted towards my food budget or not.  What do you guys think?

Clearance Store:
60 Fruit leather $3.38

Walmart:
Fruit Pectin (enough to make 22 pints of jam)  $3.67

August total: $44.48

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 12:17:42 AM »
Oh how I wish there were lots of fruit trees people didn't want to utilize around here!  I would think that if you are putting away jam for later it shouldn't' count, although if you wanted to get super technical you could figure out the dollar amount for how much pectin is in any jars you happen to eat this month.

Good score on the fruit leather!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 06:37:56 AM »
^Yay for free fruit!

My neighbor brought me over some "friendship bread" last night.  I gave her some of the green peppers out of my tiny garden in exchange.  The bread had some directions with it and said that "only the Amish know how to make the starter."  Um, okay, that seems doubtful, but I'll go for it.  Anyway, I looked at the list of ingredients that I need to add in a few days, and astoundingly I have everything including the box of instant vanilla yogurt (although my box is small and it calls for a large, I'm just going to go for it with what I have!)

At the suggestion of someone who knows what will grow well, this fall I'm going to put fruit trees, blueberry, and blackberry bushes along the back of my yard (which borders the "main" neighborhood street.)  Posting on Craigslist if it gets to bountiful is a GREAT idea.  Yay! 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 09:01:31 PM »
^Yay for free fruit!

My neighbor brought me over some "friendship bread" last night.  I gave her some of the green peppers out of my tiny garden in exchange.  The bread had some directions with it and said that "only the Amish know how to make the starter."  Um, okay, that seems doubtful, but I'll go for it.  Anyway, I looked at the list of ingredients that I need to add in a few days, and astoundingly I have everything including the box of instant vanilla yogurt (although my box is small and it calls for a large, I'm just going to go for it with what I have!)

At the suggestion of someone who knows what will grow well, this fall I'm going to put fruit trees, blueberry, and blackberry bushes along the back of my yard (which borders the "main" neighborhood street.)  Posting on Craigslist if it gets to bountiful is a GREAT idea.  Yay!

I have two tall thin teenagers who are trying to gain weight for football.

Goodness please make sure they get as much as they want to eat!  My brother went through this and I am pretty sure he didn't always have enough to eat at that age.  Our pediatrician actually yelled at my mom for this.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »

I have two tall thin teenagers who are trying to gain weight for football.

Goodness please make sure they get as much as they want to eat!  My brother went through this and I am pretty sure he didn't always have enough to eat at that age.  Our pediatrician actually yelled at my mom for this.
Oh, they get more than they really want to eat. My 17ds is trying to get recruited to play in college, and he needs 20+ more lbs.  For example, we make him a five egg omelet, 2 wheat toast, and a huge protein green smoothie for breakfast.  He actually has a nutritionist plan his meals to make sure he's putting on muscle, not fat. We make sure he's never hungry. ;) My 14ds doesn't want to play college football, but he wants to gain weight on his tall, thin frame.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
First grocery purchase of the month - $6.20 for a 4L jug of milk. Probably could have held off a little longer but hubby wanted to make pancakes:)

In the planning stages for our housewarming party on Thursday, it is going to be a potluck so I only have to worry about the main. Planning on some preserved lemon chicken tangine and chickpea pilaf. I think I can pull it off with just buying some onions and cilantro.

I have been using up my stock of costco green tea bags by putting a couple in a mason jar adding some frozen berries and water and chilling in the fridge, been really refreshing.

How is everyone else doing?

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
Wow, WTG swick!  Glad to see you doing so well - and I might steal that tea idea, sounds delicious! 

I've had a rough, ROUGH, last few days with family emergencies and so one night I ate dinner at 10pm at Jack in the box.  I'm counting it towards my total. $4.21

Things have settled down as of today, and I picked up an avocado and head of romaine for $1.67 at the grocery store and a pack of muffins at Costco - $3.79.  (DEVIL MUFFINS!)

August total: $54.15

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 05:37:39 AM »
Count me in!!    My fridge went on the fritz a few weekends ago and quite a bit got dumped (boo!!   I had a well stocked freezer).  But it also made me realize I wasn't utilizing what I did have.  Was able to save about a fourth of the contents.  My pantry items need to be eaten, as well, as I noticed quite a few things not getting eaten.  Haven't bought anything yet this month from the grocery store, but did purchase a bountiful baskets for our area (food co-op thing) here for fresh produce that comes in on Saturday for $25.  Between the freezer, pantry, and this fresh food, I think I'm set for a while.  Maybe September, as well.  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:39:13 AM by Theadyn »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »
Welcome Theadyn:)

Sucks about loosing your fridge. That is something always in the back of my mind. If it happen in winter it would be fine, we'd move everything to the deck but we could loose a lot if it happen in summer.

For this challenge I'm aiming to keep our food budget for what we are eating this month under 100. I will be shortly putting in my orders for the winter though because we are going back home (down south) at the end of the month and I have access to many things I can't find here and everything is at least 25% cheaper sometimes as much as 80%.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
Organic Veggie Order $60.00
2 cucumbers
2 bags of tomatoes
1 zucchini
3 bunches of swiss chard
10 bunches of kale
10lbs of green beans

Most of this will be going into the freezer/dehydrator for winter.

To be consumed right away cukes, tomatoes, zucchini, 1 bunch of chard, 2 bunches of kale, 1 lb of green beans for $18.00

Goal for next year: Get garden put in. Will involve removing massive play structure that came with the house and all the gravel under it...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
^That's a lot of greens (and green beans!)

Gardens are great, and great fun.  My green bell peppers are turning into red bell peppers this week.  :-)

DD wanted RAMEN noodles for dinner tonight.  This was her first choice, bless her.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
^That's a lot of greens (and green beans!)

I'm kinda kicking myself right now for getting so much, I'm in for a looong night! :)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
Swick - How did all the food prep go?

I am freezing tons of zucchini right now and cucumbers for smoothies (I've made enough pickles already!)  My tomatoes all died.  I built them a green house and cooked them:(   Stupid green house! 

Costco:
13.99 Organic Olive Oil

Safeway:
2.89 String Cheese
3.63 (3 frozen OJ's)
2.59 cottage cheese
2.82 mini watermelon
0.73 potatoes
1.28 tomatoes
3.96 (4 bottles of pomegranate juice)
Total: $17.90

August total: $86.04

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
It  was a long night, but felt great to get a little bit put up for winter. Cucumbers in smoothies? I'm curious!

We spent 52.00 on groceries before the potluck
10.00 for cheese
4.00 for cottage cheese
2.00 for cilantro
5.00 for chips (Hubby broke me down)
we also bought two cases of pop and a case of beer  - Not necessary, but guests appreciated  it and was such a fun night, I don't mind a bit.

We also have tons of leftovers and will not need to go to the store before we go on vacation.

Total so far: $70.00

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
Cucumbers in smoothies? I'm curious!

Yep!  My smoothies are mostly veggie.  Cucumber, celery, carrot, Spinach or another leafy green, and maybe 1/2 an apple or pear. Or a handful of frozen mango.  Depends on what I feel like.  When I had a glut of cucumber and became tired of pickling I decided I'd freeze them in cubes to throw in smoothies year round:)  Cubed a ton of zucchini too for the same purpose:) 

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
The problem with this plan is that this is the wrong month.  The stuff in my cupboards/freezer?  All winter type foods.  Soups, stews, all that stuff you want on a crisp autumn day or snowy December.  Not in the middle of summer!  I have used a few things, but mostly still eating from the garden and picking up things to use with the garden foods.   I plan on doing this again in November and believe it will be a much better pantry purge.  I am still under the $100 for the month, but it's been a struggle because I want all the produce!

Costco:
Spinach $3.99

August Total: $90.03

As for the coming seasons I have frozen and canned my heart out.  I will have a darn tasty season.  Every day there is something else to prep and cook.  My wrists are complaining mightily. 

Hope it's going well for the rest of you! 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
^I'll second that!  I have the ingredients to make 4 pumpkin pies in my pantry.  They've been in there since I stocked up last year, and I've had no urge to make them.

I'm still under $100 per person here if you don't count school lunches (which I guess I should count, but they put me at $101.75 per person this month.  ACK!)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »
^I'll second that!  I have the ingredients to make 4 pumpkin pies in my pantry.  They've been in there since I stocked up last year, and I've had no urge to make them.

If you have canned pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie mix, it's great to add to smoothies or make bread with:)   I like to pick up a case when they go 1/2 off after the holidays and make pumpkin ice cubes to toss in smoothies, and to share with my dog.  He loves them!  Good for digestion with the fiber.

Costco:
$6.99 Chocolate Chips

August total: $97.02

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
Funny I'm coming across this thread now - my August food bill is much lower than usual (relative to my non-mustachian day, I'm a recent convert)
Cleaned out my freezer, and the garden has been giving me a steady supply of beans, cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli and tomatoes.
(September I'm looking forward to the butternut squash, quinoa, sweet potatoes, carrots, peppers from the garden)

My total food bill will be $165 for August, but that's including a $50 gift card I had to use up by end of this month, and I just bought non-perishables on sale that will last me long time) So it's closer to $115, and I'll be living off of the leftovers I have until Sept, so that's my final tally.

(My average pre-mustachism was ~$600/month on food...)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
Welcome to the group AJDZee - glad the garden is going so well for you!

I just blew my budget because my tomatoes all turned I needed supplies to can them.  If we want to get technical we can say I didn't use it this month, it's for the next six months, but truth be told I spent nearly $30 at the store on ingredients I needed to put up my tomatoes.

Bah!  November will be my month! 

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
To report in, we managed on $200. We normally spend $300. Two adult females.

We ate one meal out at fast food Chinese. We call the place "Hanukkah Dragon Panda" because you buy one meal and there is so much food you eat off it for 8 days.

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »
Welcome to the group AJDZee - glad the garden is going so well for you!

I just blew my budget because my tomatoes all turned I needed supplies to can them.  If we want to get technical we can say I didn't use it this month, it's for the next six months, but truth be told I spent nearly $30 at the store on ingredients I needed to put up my tomatoes.

Bah!  November will be my month!

Thanks, glad to be here.  You're going to destroy november. :)

I got lucky... I'm just getting into canning this year, starting from scratch. Just when my tomatoes are ripening, I've asked for canning supplies for my birthday in a couple days. What 29-year old dude asks for canning supplies??

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!