Author Topic: August: Gallon Challenge  (Read 7304 times)

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
August: Gallon Challenge
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »
I'm throwing down the gauntlet to anyone who wants to join in: I'm going to try to only use a gallon of gas in the month of August. My car gets 20 MPG so that means I can drive a maximum of 20 miles this month.

Read more about it here:

http://foundryintheforest.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/step-up-to-the-august-challenge-gallon-challenge/

Anyone else want to take up the challenge?

carolinakaren

• Stubble
Re: August: Gallon Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:25:06 AM »
Wow! That's really hardcore.....and damn admirable.  :)  Being that I just found your challenges today I have already blown the bank.  My car gets about the same mileage as yours... I would like to compete in the challenge, but we are driving to our vacation later this month.  I REALLY NEED that vacation! 

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
I think it's a great challenge. It's just painful and just doable enough to make a good challenge. We're not there yet, since we're a family with small kids and have commitments to keep that require a car. However, I've thought of trying to go car-free for a month.

By the way, if you do the kind of driving it sounds like over the next month, you'll probably not be driving at your most efficient, so you likely have less than 20 miles. That's just a technicality, though, and I think your 20 mile limit is a great one.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »
I'm not in, but will be watching as others take on this admirable challenge.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:53:41 AM »
I'll take the challenge!

If you will accept the qualification that I begin my own challenge on August 16th, once I finish driving my family home from Canada (we're in Ontario at the moment).

From August 16th to September 16th, I believe Mrs. MM and I can share a single gallon of gas (especially since we have a 40MPG car). School and stores are within walking distance, no jobs to commute to, and 40 miles is more than enough to get to the mountains for a hike once or twice.

So the challenge will just encourage me to ride rather than drive to the mountain biking trails (which begin about 10 miles from home).. and forego any frivolous inter-city trips... oh.. and bike/bus to Denver for the conference I'm attending in early Sept :-)

sowantere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 06:14:03 AM »
I'm envious we currently have our house up for sale in order to move close to work to save on gas after reading this site.  Our budget screams that transportation is currently our largest expense even more than food and housing and its all in gas and car repairs as we have no car loan.  I wish everyone who lives close to work would take this challenge.  Its funny how people do not like to bike because all of the cars on the road but if more people biked there would obviously be less cars to navigate thru.  It does seem silly to get into a two ton vehicle to push a 180 pound person.  All that gas is not going to transport the person but rather to transport the car. Kudos to you.   

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »
Wow! That's really hardcore.....and damn admirable.  :)  Being that I just found your challenges today I have already blown the bank.  My car gets about the same mileage as yours... I would like to compete in the challenge, but we are driving to our vacation later this month.  I REALLY NEED that vacation!

I decided that family trips don't count towards the total, since it's impractical to take a family of 5 around Washington state by bicycle. I'm only counting errands, commuting, family/friend visits, and the other in-town stuff I can do by bike, bus, foot, etc.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
The Mister informed me that we were participating in this challenge today.  Great idea for a challenge!

Our son recommended we create a giant fort in the driveway and leave it there blocking the car for a month to make sure we don't drive.  Ha! 

So far so good.  Haven't driven since we got back from our trip late Sunday night.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
The Mister informed me that we were participating in this challenge today.  Great idea for a challenge!

Our son recommended we create a giant fort in the driveway and leave it there blocking the car for a month to make sure we don't drive.  Ha! 

So far so good.  Haven't driven since we got back from our trip late Sunday night.

Thanks! I'm honored that you guys are joining me in the challenge. Your son's idea is super cute! Wish I would have thought of something like that. Maybe a note on the driver's seat saying "Are you sure you need to drive?"

I have disappointing news to share with the fellow Gallon Challengers: I broke the bank and went over one gallon last week. It was to drive to a concert on the other end of town: http://foundryintheforest.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/the-cost-of-a-free-concert/

I'm still under 2 gallons though, and looking at my calendar for the rest of the month, I think I can stay out of the car till well into September.

Best of luck to everyone else on the rest of the challenge!

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
I guess this challenge is pretty easy if you're allowed to make exceptions for things that cannot conveniently be done by bike!

In the MMM household, I think our motivation level is high enough these days that "wussypants" car drives (i.e., one where you drive somewhere less than 3 miles away without the need to carry over 100 pounds of cargo), only happen a few times a year. And most of those are related to winter weather and child carrying (he does ride in the bike trailer whenever possible).

I just can't take the pain and embarrassment of having to punch myself in my own face, which makes the decision to bike so much easier!

Even so, I am no saint: tomorrow I'm driving 35 miles RT to stock up at Costco, combining the errand with meeting a friend who lives near that town for mountain biking. The drive COULD be avoided, meaning I've only got 5 miles left in Gallon Challenge Credits after this!

zoltani

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
Come on man, you live in Seattle, this should be very easy to do.  OK< you have some kids, and that makes it a little more challenging, but not impossible.  Stretch the limit of what you think you can do and give it a try.  Also consider walking or biking onto the ferry for a quick getaway instead of driving.  Living without a car has been pretty easy in Seattle despite all the naysayers that say it can't be done. 

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »
Come on man, you live in Seattle, this should be very easy to do.  OK< you have some kids, and that makes it a little more challenging, but not impossible.  Stretch the limit of what you think you can do and give it a try.  Also consider walking or biking onto the ferry for a quick getaway instead of driving.  Living without a car has been pretty easy in Seattle despite all the naysayers that say it can't be done.

You're totally right! I'm stretching my limits and getting out of my comfort zone. For instance, I'm pulling my toddler in a bike trailer round trip to Mercer Island tomorrow. Normally, no big deal. But Saturday morning I'm running a 10K!

I'm jealous of you for going car-free here in Seattle. It's a goal of mine, and doing this challenge has shown me that it's possible.

zoltani

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »
Yes, at first it feels like pushing the limits, and after awhile it becomes a habit, something you normally do and do not consider to be difficult.  It is easy to forget how hard that first step is.  So the hardest part is over, just keep it up and it will become more natural. 

And while i bike everywhere including long distances, I do not think i could run a 10k, good luck!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
Yes, at first it feels like pushing the limits, and after awhile it becomes a habit, something you normally do and do not consider to be difficult.  It is easy to forget how hard that first step is.  So the hardest part is over, just keep it up and it will become more natural. 

And while i bike everywhere including long distances, I do not think i could run a 10k, good luck!

Thanks, I finished in under an hour, which was my goal.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 05:31:43 AM »
Even though I didn't join your challenge I am trying to find ways to bike more.  Later today I plan to bike to the library.  It's only 8 miles round trip, but it will be my longest trip to date.  Keep up the good work.  You guys are doing an awesome job!

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 01:14:21 AM »
I didn't quite manage this one. Ended up driving about 60 miles in August and my car only gets 45-50mpg. Might manage it in September depending how many miles get put on it when it goes in for it's annual service & mot at the end if the month, and if I have to drive to job interviews.

Wendyimhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Frugal is the answer
    • Practical Frugal Living
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 09:59:06 AM »
Gallon Challenge - sounded like a favorite Friday night activity from my dorm years.  Very cool idea, though.  Sorry you didn't make it, but if you get by on 2 gallons in a summer month, that is still pretty darn hard core.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »
Even though I didn't join your challenge I am trying to find ways to bike more.  Later today I plan to bike to the library.  It's only 8 miles round trip, but it will be my longest trip to date.  Keep up the good work.  You guys are doing an awesome job!

Awesome! How'd it go? Keep on riding and an 8-miler will seem like a ride around the block. I remember when my 4-mile commute to work was killer, so I know where you're coming from.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Sunday I'm doing a mini triathalon which includes a 9 mile bike leg!  I'm excited to not be concerned about that distance.  It's not a big deal for most mustachians, but it's good for me.  I think it will be great this fall.....the weather is much better for this activity.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »

It's been a month for you and MMM... so, how'd it go? Word on the street is that he wasted most of your gallon for a Costco run!

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:28 AM »

It's been a month for you and MMM... so, how'd it go? Word on the street is that he wasted most of your gallon for a Costco run!

Haha!  Yes, indeed.  We blew it with the Costco run.  Then we blew it some more.  :) 

We recently learned that some friends of ours are moving to Seattle and hadn't seen them in a long time, so we ended up driving there to visit them (and pick up some stuff they were selling/giving away).   However, MMM did bike to Boulder for his recent CBC radio interview, so that was pretty cool. 

Oh (I almost forgot), there was the ridiculously long drive we did to visit our friend's cabin over the long weekend, so we dug ourselves into an even deeper hole.  This is probably the most we've ever driven in a month -- oops!!

On the plus side, we never used the car locally.  Our shortest car trip was 14 miles each way.  We drove 3 times this month.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
Haha!  Yes, indeed.  We blew it with the Costco run.  Then we blew it some more.  :) 

We recently learned that some friends of ours are moving to Seattle and hadn't seen them in a long time, so we ended up driving there to visit them (and pick up some stuff they were selling/giving away).   However, MMM did bike to Boulder for his recent CBC radio interview, so that was pretty cool. 

Oh (I almost forgot), there was the ridiculously long drive we did to visit our friend's cabin over the long weekend, so we dug ourselves into an even deeper hole.  This is probably the most we've ever driven in a month -- oops!!

On the plus side, we never used the car locally.  Our shortest car trip was 14 miles each way.  We drove 3 times this month.

I used 2 gallons myself so I can't complain. 3 trips total, of 14+ miles each is pretty awesome! My trips were also social-related. Seems like a great use of fuel in my opinion.

I live in Seattle, so if your friends are looking to meet some friendly people around here, you can pass along my email: tenaciousjoe @ google's free email service