Author Topic: August Don't Eat Out Challenge  (Read 15263 times)

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: August Don't Eat Out Challenge
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2014, 02:02:27 PM »
Well, I have now spent over 100 :-(
I suppose it was a bad idea to do this when I have a 2 week vacation.....still my spending is waaaayyyyy better than it would have otherwise been.
Wish I was like Paulie though!

usmarine1975

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »
I think the point of the challenge is to challenge yourself and to not continue spending recklessly.  If improvement has occurred have you really lost the challenge?  For me it's not about being at Zero but about thinking about each time I do go out and making a conscious decision to spend or not spend the money.

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2014, 02:33:57 PM »
You are right usmarine1975.  It definitely is a huge improvement for me.  I feel a September Don't Eat Out Challenge coming on to help me next month too!

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
I am failing... so hard.

What are good suggestions for dates to avoid spending money? Especially when you are meeting people for the first time and you don't have time to stop by home and get anything in between the date and work?

Haven't been on the market for a while, but just thought I'd chime in here. I vote for picnics, BBQ, or an event that doesn't require food (at least for this specific challenge - I read about the coffee vs. dinner stuff in your journal). Hikes? Bike rides? You can still cut them relatively early, plus cull out some undesirables. :) Faking a rolled ankle is easy!!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »
I just worked 3x12 hour nights in a row. The temptation to pull into Maccas drive-through on my way home after the third night was overwhelming, but I resisted. I remembered I had English muffins in the freezer, so I made my own with fresh eggs (not overly hard!), smokey bacon and swiss cheese. Beats anything the clown can do hands down. :)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
I just worked 3x12 hour nights in a row. The temptation to pull into Maccas drive-through on my way home after the third night was overwhelming, but I resisted. I remembered I had English muffins in the freezer, so I made my own with fresh eggs (not overly hard!), smokey bacon and swiss cheese. Beats anything the clown can do hands down. :)

Great job, Primm! Sounds delish!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
5 days so far. Come close to giving in to breakfast and or lunch. but holding steadfast. :)

Paulie

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 01:58:02 AM »
Who spent 50 on a family weekend away and is trying to hide it by putting it in my row? ;-)

Still zero here after three weeks, but I guess this will change this weekend since we're planning to get some take-away on Saturday...

usmarine1975

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 06:21:11 AM »
Who spent 50 on a family weekend away and is trying to hide it by putting it in my row? ;-)

Still zero here after three weeks, but I guess this will change this weekend since we're planning to get some take-away on Saturday...

Sorry Paulie, I entered that from my phone and had seen it was on the wrong line and tried to fix it.  Apparently my fix didn't take place.  I think it is fixed now. 

Paulie

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 06:49:54 AM »

Sorry Paulie, I entered that from my phone and had seen it was on the wrong line and tried to fix it.  Apparently my fix didn't take place.  I think it is fixed now.

Haha, no worries, hope you had a nice family weekend!

usmarine1975

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
Was going for another zero week but a friend stopped by the office for lunch.  Unfortunately my office is surrounded by 5 or so restaurants.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Packed a huge lunch for the waterslides today so that we aren't tempted to buy concession stand crap!

I joined mid-month, but so far we haven't eaten out once! Yay us!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
Packed a huge lunch for the waterslides today so that we aren't tempted to buy concession stand crap!

I joined mid-month, but so far we haven't eaten out once! Yay us!

Edited to add: trip to waterslides was compliments of our dentist! Nice!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:23:46 PM by 1967mama »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2014, 01:51:28 AM »
Happy to report that although I joined late, August 17, we still haven't eaten out! This is a modern day miracle!

Paulie

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2014, 05:44:29 AM »
We also survived the fourth week without eating out! We really wanted to get something on Saturday, but our two favorite take-out restaurant (chinese and surinamese) were both closed. So we decided to cook ourselves instead! Only 3 more days!

shrelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
$39 vs. $200-250 for the month, plus not tons of shitty food. I also increased my 403b contribution to offset what I hope is a new trend. Thanks for the challenge, ausername!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
We made it! Granted, only joined half way thru the month, but eating out is a real weakness for my husband and I (and ordering in, and getting takeout and and and!) so this is a huge victory for us! On to try the full month of September.