Author Topic: August Don't Eat Out Challenge  (Read 15259 times)

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
August Don't Eat Out Challenge
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
Hello!
My biggest cost that I struggle to keep under control is the cost of eating out in restaurants & buying snacks while I'm on the go. I've noticed that quite a few others around here have similar issues (based on case studies etc.). I've been finding the cycling challenge really good for helping motivate myself to cycle to work, and it occurred to me that maybe a 'not eating out' challenge might help motivate me to eat less rubbish.

Would anyone else be interested in this challenge? I could put together a sheet like the cycling challenge and we could record the amount of money spent per day on bad food maybe.  Obviously the goal would be zero spending on crap food in the month!

Let me know if you'd be interested in joining in! I think the thing that annoys me most about it is knowing that advertising is secretly working its evil on me in spite of my low info diet!

The link to spreadsheet to record your spending is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aAC7x_aswV44r5uF2YDjk4m1VrBQ_eXcpWCBVOEX_-k/edit?usp=sharing

I reckon that it is easiest for us all to just record our spending in our own currency on a week by week basis.  This is my first time creating a publicly editable spreadsheet on google docs, so please let me know if you have any problems accessing or editing it.

(Original post edited to add link to spreadsheet here)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:50:00 PM by ausername »

Frugalicious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: August Don't Eat Out Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »
I will join you!  We did this in June and it was a good experience.

RedRumbler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
Count me in. This is an area I've been looking to improve upon for quite some time, and a challenge seems like a good way to motivate myself!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:09:23 PM »
I would LOVE to join this challenge but we are on vacation for 2 weeks in August and will be away from home so I know for a fact we will be eating out. This is one of the biggest money drains on my budget.  Hopefully, if it goes well, we can do this challenge again in September!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »
I'd love to be in it as well. That's still an area of my spending that I need to cut further - to zero would be awesome!

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:49:31 AM »
Would love to join in but have our anniversary in August. We'll be eating out but converting shopping points for restaurant vouchers at a 4x ratio value so the £40 meal will only cost us £10 worth of points :)

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:37:37 AM »
I would love to join in.  However, I would like a free pass for my birthday :)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
Count me in, but I also need a one day pass for my birthday!  I'm going to do a full on Austerity August and not buy anything that isn't a necessity (i.e. food and toilet paper).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:01:45 AM »
I'm in for Austerity August, and I am in for this challenge too.  We do have a weekend trip planned, so I'm sure we'll out a bit.  I will try to minimize eat out though (one meal/day). 

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:22:48 AM »
I'm in with everyone else who's doing the Austerity August challenge too, but demands a free pass for their birthday :P

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
I'm in.  Now to get my husband on board.

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »
I'm in! :)

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »
Great :-)
Delighted to have so many people interested. I'll try to get a sheet together like the cycling one over the next couple of days and we should be ready to go Friday.

Free passes for birthdays granted! I don't need to worry about that one myself, but I may end up eating out unavoidably due to social occasions...but I will try my very best to limit that. I think a comments column would be good in the spreadsheet too where we can record 'excuses' for any eating out done and maybe decide later if the excuse was good or not!

I think I'll do this challenge in tandem with the lose 15 pounds this year one too - they should be complementary :-)

We probably need to decide some 'rules' about what constitutes eating out too! I want to include any unhealthy food that I end up buying as 'eating out'- even if that means going to the supermarket and buying chocolate...however buying an apple as a snack won't count....because it isn't crap food!  I suppose everyone may need their own rules but deciding them and recording them here might help keep us honest.

shrelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
I'm in! My goal will be to not each lunch out, especially. I get crap almost every day and it's money down the drain and goes right to my gut! Traveling for work some and not much of an option but to eat out, but I'll try to make healthier choices and at least it's not my money. Thanks for organizing.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
Got him on-board with the incentive that we will put the money saved towards pre-paying the mortgage.  Yay!

wiggam007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
Count me in.  I am going to do the 15lbs off by the end of year challenge so this goes along nicely with that, keep me from at least adding more on haha.

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
Got him on-board with the incentive that we will put the money saved towards pre-paying the mortgage.  Yay!

Good work!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
Am I the only one that laughed when I saw it was about food?

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
I am in... Also in for the 15lbs so this will go well.

Pennywisemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
I'm new here but really like what these challenges have to offer. I'm in and think my family and wallet will be happier for it.

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »
I thought I would do this, but then realized I won't really be able to succeed if I already know of upcoming expenses. Next time!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:21 PM »
Sign me up! I've been struggling with this too!

Paulie

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 01:29:21 AM »
Great idea this challenge, I would like to join as well! No special events this month that I'm aware off. We don't eat out a lot, but if we do it's usually quite expensive. I always try to take lunch to work. The greatest pitfall is take-aways. Trying to keep it to a minimum/zero this month!

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
Am I the only one that laughed when I saw it was about food?

usmarine1975

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 03:29:26 PM »
I couldn't do the copy and paste.  But my name is added and dang I am the first to post an eat out number.  I am only going to include myself.  I am encouraging my wife to slow down on the eating out but I can't track her's for this.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »
I couldn't do the copy and paste.  But my name is added and dang I am the first to post an eat out number.  I am only going to include myself.  I am encouraging my wife to slow down on the eating out but I can't track her's for this.

I'm doing good so far, but I have a meetup I'm hosting at a sandwich shop Thursday and a date at a coffee shop Friday, so I'll have some  eating out $ by the end of the week. However, this challenge is an incentive to keep it as low as possible!

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »
So aside from my temporary crisis about whether the 1.30 juice I bought when I met a friend "for coffee" today counts as eating out (I decided it didn't!), everything is going well for me.  However, I will be on vacation for two weeks from this Friday, so it will get more interesting then!  But I'll be trying to avoid my usual vacation blow-out....I'll let you know how it goes....

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 06:57:17 PM »
Went to Starbucks this week (Aug 1 - oops!) but used a coupon and a giftcard so I didn't pay anything.  I don't think this violates the challenge.  I mean I didn't make it myself, but it was free.  Or am I just making excuses? 

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
Went to Starbucks this week (Aug 1 - oops!) but used a coupon and a giftcard so I didn't pay anything.  I don't think this violates the challenge.  I mean I didn't make it myself, but it was free.  Or am I just making excuses?

That's a tricky one! You could convince me either way & we are just tracking money really!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »
Dang it! Had a writing group meetup, and forgot to bring food with me. Went there straight from work, and had to ride on my bike, so I was starving. I also may spend a few tomorrow cause I am meeting a date from OKCupid for the first time, and we are meeting at a coffee shop.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »
I am meeting a date from OKCupid for the first time, and we are meeting at a coffee shop.

Good luck!  Maybe you date will buy your coffee and you'll be off the hook :)

Paulie

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 12:36:27 AM »
I am meeting a date from OKCupid for the first time, and we are meeting at a coffee shop.

Wish you a good date! Coffee is at least better than having a dinner date immediately.

I can keep the zero for the first week! Hoping to go strong in week 2 as well!

usmarine1975

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 06:46:55 AM »
been tempted but stayed clear rest of the week.  Let's see how the weekend goes.  Wife and I are trying to cut back on the eating out Budget, almost $600 last month.  OUCH

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
been tempted but stayed clear rest of the week.  Let's see how the weekend goes.  Wife and I are trying to cut back on the eating out Budget, almost $600 last month.  OUCH
Wow, way ouch! I spent $200 last month for one person, so I feel your pain. My goal this month is to keep it under $75.

usmarine1975

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
Yea that one hurt.  In our defense it's us a 2 year old and many weekends we have a 13 year old with the Big Brother Big Sister program.  And I believe that included a donation of Baklava to a church fundraiser.  And may have included another donation based dinner.  Both of those are not so ouch but the rest certainly is ouch.

Paulie

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:56 AM »
Yesterday we almost got take-away, but decided last minute to go to the supermarket and cook ourselves instead, thanks to this topic!

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »
Picked up a coffee on a late night drive home.  Used the spare change I found in the car to buy it.  I also managed to talk my husband out of picking up take-out at least 2 times this month so far by offering to cook something quick.  Yay!

ausername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
Well, after the amazing zero of last week, I've already racked up 15.10 this week.....not entirely unexpected because I am on vacation, but I am trying to keep it to a minimum while not upsetting my overall social/activity plans.  That's great Paulie & JoyBlogette- that the challenge stopped the take-aways!  Considering my two week vacation, maybe my aim should have been 75 like GamerGirl, but I'm just going to go for as low as possible now.  Some months recently I spent 300-400, so even 75 would be a great improvement.  I'm incredibly frugal with pretty much everything else, but for some reason eating food out has always been a problem for me (although historically it was nowhere near 300-400).  My spending on this gradually increased over time.....

It is great how taking part in the challenges somehow makes it easier to feel committed to doing something - not eating out is beginning to seem more like a part of my life, and the challenge is making it easier to bridge the gap between my frugal ideals online and my frugal practice in real life :-)

Thanks again to everyone who has joined in

shrelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
So glad you set this up. I had been getting worse and worse about getting junk for lunch, so both the money and the poor food choices were problems. This challenge has been really helpful so far!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »
I've failed miserably.  I went out to lunch on Friday, had dinner out on Friday, and had a beer on Saturday!  Too much socializing.  I have spent $25 so far this month. 

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
I've failed miserably.  I went out to lunch on Friday, had dinner out on Friday, and had a beer on Saturday!  Too much socializing.  I have spent $25 so far this month.

$25 is not too bad!  Don't be too hard on yourself.  You can always challenge yourself to earn/save an extra $25 somewhere else to make those indulgences essentially free.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 11:45:44 AM »

$25 is not too bad!  Don't be too hard on yourself.  You can always challenge yourself to earn/save an extra $25 somewhere else to make those indulgences essentially free.
Thanks!  I'll try to list a few things on eBay this weekend. 

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »

I'm not doing so hot either..... sigh. And I have to go out again tomorrow for my writing club.

Paulie

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »
Second week ended, and still zero here!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »
I am failing... so hard.

What are good suggestions for dates to avoid spending money? Especially when you are meeting people for the first time and you don't have time to stop by home and get anything in between the date and work?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:31 AM »
Home from holidays and have decided to join this challenge for the remainder of August rather than waiting to start not eating out in September! Duh! No brainier!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
I can join in now. I was away the first two weeks of August, so there was no way I could do it then. It doesn't hurt me to do it for the rest of the month though!

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
Went out to dinner with a friend visiting from overseas.  It was so worth it for some girl time away from the little one.  I even treated so it was twice as expensive.  I'm super committed to the rest of the month though.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 10:30:49 PM »
Joining. Kitchen is stocked. Week's menu planned. ;-)
Just need to remember to eat breakfast before I leave the house. Last week, twice, I spent $1.50 on oatmeal + sausage. Small amount, but none the less consists of 'eating out'.

usmarine1975

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
We went to an ice cream shop in a small town on our weekend away and ordered Chinese food when we returned home.  My wife asked if we could, My response was that we are not doing this to Not eat out at all but to lessen the amount we are spending every month going out to eat.  It was great to be able to feel good about deciding to spend money knowing that so far this month we have done pretty good.