Author Topic: August Cycling Challenge 2016  (Read 4259 times)

jordanread

August Cycling Challenge 2016
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »
The August Cycling Challenge 2016 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
Happy biking!!

jordanread

Re: August Cycling Challenge 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »
Team,

Obviously I was a bit late getting the challenge up this month. In case you weren't aware, the way I normally do this is pull out a ridiculous checklist to prepare everything on a 'Master' sheet, make a copy, and start the scripts to get history imported. However, this month, I started trying to automate the first steps, and get the scripts to work to sort user histories with the latest months on top as determined was the desired method a couple of months ago. I've spot checked a few things, but definitely let me know if you see anything off. Happy biking all!!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:55:50 PM »
Thanks for all the effort in putting this on every month!  We had some fierce competition there for top place with some people doing multiple century rides (rides over 100mi) throughout the month.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:35:16 AM »
Wear your helmets kiddos!

Had a bike accident Monday. I was going downhill and tucked in an aero position. I hit a small bump and my air horn fell off the handlebars. Except it didn't just fall on the ground - it's connected to an air canister,so it was dangling and I was afraid it was going to get stuck in my front wheel and cause me to flip over my handlebars. So I slammed the brakes. Except I slammed the front brakes too hard (and remember I'm already leaning forward, going downhill) and I flipped over the handlebars. I estimate I was going 15-18 mph (I saw 12 on my bike computer a couple seconds before).

Helmet took the brunt of the damage. I walked away with no broken bones, internal bleeding, or even a concussion. I just have a sore back, some minor road rash, a bruised elbow, and a cut on my face (I think it's from the plastic retention mechanism from my helmet).

I am quite lucky to have no long lasting effects from this accident.

Incidentally some bike helmet manufacturers, including Bell, will give you a discount on a new helmet if you send in your broken one (they want to collect data on how their helmets fare in accidents).

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:45:18 AM »

Had a bike accident Monday. I was going downhill and tucked in an aero position. I hit a small bump and my air horn fell off the handlebars. Except it didn't just fall on the ground - it's connected to an air canister,so it was dangling and I was afraid it was going to get stuck in my front wheel and cause me to flip over my handlebars. So I slammed the brakes. Except I slammed the front brakes too hard (and remember I'm already leaning forward, going downhill) and I flipped over the handlebars. I estimate I was going 15-18 mph (I saw 12 on my bike computer a couple seconds before).

Helmet took the brunt of the damage. I walked away with no broken bones, internal bleeding, or even a concussion. I just have a sore back, some minor road rash, a bruised elbow, and a cut on my face (I think it's from the plastic retention mechanism from my helmet).

Incidentally some bike helmet manufacturers, including Bell, will give you a discount on a new helmet if you send in your broken one (they want to collect data on how their helmets fare in accidents).

Damn. Glad you are okay. Did your helmet fully break? Pics? You are getting a new one right?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 11:26:16 AM »

Damn. Glad you are okay. Did your helmet fully break? Pics? You are getting a new one right?

The outer shell is fully intact, but there are a couple cracks running down from the outer shell to wear it meets my head. I'll take some pics later. I do need them anyway to file a claim with Bell regardless.

And definitely getting a new one. Even if there isn't any visible damage you're supposed to get a new one!

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »
And definitely getting a new one. Even if there isn't any visible damage you're supposed to get a new one!

Oh yeah, just wanted to make sure.

TrMama

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »

Ouch! Glad you're OK and seem to have also escaped the horror of whiplash. Yes, helmets are wonderful things. We're pretty sure my mom's helmet saved her life (or at least her cognitive function) a few weeks ago.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »

Yeah, I hit tracks last November doing about 20mph and smacked my shoulder, wrist, and clearly remember the feeling of the side of my head smacking the pavement inside the helmet.  Very glad to have been wearing one that day (I always wore one before anyway).

Glad to hear you're okay.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »
Thanks guys.

Time to rest up and get back into the challenges. I'd fallen out of the habit for a while and was planning to get back into it.... Ah well. Shit happens. At least I'll be able to cycle again =)

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
My Saturday morning: Almost 90 miles, complete with the following climbs: 3,000 feet, 900 feet, 750 feet on gravel, and 550 feet, with some rollers throughout the rest to get it up to 6,700 feet total. Lots of 10%+ grades, especially in those last few climbs. It was a good day.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 12:31:12 AM »
My Saturday morning: Almost 90 miles, complete with the following climbs: 3,000 feet, 900 feet, 750 feet on gravel, and 550 feet, with some rollers throughout the rest to get it up to 6,700 feet total. Lots of 10%+ grades, especially in those last few climbs. It was a good day.
Sounds like an awesome ride!  Mine was nearly the same mileage but 1/3 the elevation.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
Finally did the group ride that goes near my place this morning. 5:30 AM start and no letting up. Got dropped on a climb in round one (there were only about 7-8 of us, so more time in the wind) but was just fine on round two. Averaging 25-26 mph for an hour takes it out of you, even if you are in a group. But after my commute, I'm about 46 miles into the day already. I need a nap.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »
So I've been horrible about entering my miles the last few months. Is it worth going back and filling them in now with my Runkeeper biking history or does that all get tossed after so long? 

Ironically, I've actually been biking even more than usual since I managed to really screw up my foot to the point that driving hurts like hell and so does running.  Walking with a limp, biking, or being chauffeured are basically my only modes of transport/cardio exercise this summer... =(

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »
So I've been horrible about entering my miles the last few months. Is it worth going back and filling them in now with my Runkeeper biking history or does that all get tossed after so long? 

Ironically, I've actually been biking even more than usual since I managed to really screw up my foot to the point that driving hurts like hell and so does running.  Walking with a limp, biking, or being chauffeured are basically my only modes of transport/cardio exercise this summer... =(
Go ahead and enter the back mileage. I normally only do the previous month, but I can update the history. Just let me know when it's done.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »

Go ahead and enter the back mileage. I normally only do the previous month, but I can update the history. Just let me know when it's done.

I added in my miles for May, June, July, and August so far.   Sorry for getting so behind on it.  =(. The good part is I'm riding a lot?  Did my longest ride ever this am - 32 miles. 

Proto Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Twisted my ankle a couple weeks ago....no biking for me this month 🙁 Can you keep me on the spreadsheet for next month, please? It will help me be accountable to get back on the bike as soon as I can!  Thanks,
Proto 'Stache

jordanread

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 01:58:15 PM »
Twisted my ankle a couple weeks ago....no biking for me this month 🙁 Can you keep me on the spreadsheet for next month, please? It will help me be accountable to get back on the bike as soon as I can!  Thanks,
Proto 'Stache

Did you do any biking this month?

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »
I haven't posted in this thread in what seems like ages.

I'm still commuting. In fact, I'm riding more now than I was 2-3 years ago. I finally got my 15-year-old son into riding a road bike, and he loves it... but he's not as fanatical about it as I am. He likes group rides and social interaction (and trying to beat me in sprints). But he's not the least bit interested in long rides. Eh... we'll see how it goes.

I guess I'll jump back in for September, just for giggles. I need to get my spending back down, and riding the bike will help. I rode over 150 miles in August (including riding to work today).

Also, bought a "new" road bike for group rides. It was more expensive than I wanted... I also bit the bullet and finally went clipless (have you priced thise things? Holy freaking cow!) So now I've dumped hundreds and hundreds of dollars into "just another bike" (according to my wife) and I need to ride and offset some of that cost.

Gratuitous bike pr0n: my '82 Peugeot PH-12 Centennial

jordanread

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 06:57:34 AM »
The new challenge is up and located here. I ran through all historical data (for the past year), and got it all newly imported. I did rely on some efficiencies I made last month, but this is the first time I've let them totally handle the creation of the sheet and everything. I did some spot checking, and it all looks good, but let me know if you run into any issues. Mrs. Pop, all your new data should be in there.

Proto, I made sure your history and everything will maintain, so once your ankle heals up, just fill out the form with "Proto Stache" and no data will be lost. It won't put you on the list until you are ready to start biking again, though.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 07:21:07 AM »
I think I will respectfully bow out of the challenge at this point. Turns out I feel calmer and less stressed when I'm just biking for its own sake and not trying to remember to enter miles every day. So you don't have to add me to future months. But I really appreciate what you've done with this, jordanread, and I hope the challenge continues to be fun and useful for many people. :)

jordanread

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 07:57:40 AM »
I think I will respectfully bow out of the challenge at this point. Turns out I feel calmer and less stressed when I'm just biking for its own sake and not trying to remember to enter miles every day. So you don't have to add me to future months. But I really appreciate what you've done with this, jordanread, and I hope the challenge continues to be fun and useful for many people. :)

There is no need to officially bow out. Like all the gauntlets I run, and most of the successful ones I've seen here, it's more about motivation, and trying to get participants to realize that they aren't alone. I can relate to what you are feeling, and it was never my intent to add stress to something that is by it's very nature should reduce that stress (See how appalled I was when people thought I setup the colored chart part to compare them to everyone else a couple of months ago). If you actually want to completely bow out, no pressure here. However, while I didn't have the same stress that you do over daily entering of miles, I did get a bit tired of it. Once I got the motivation to ride (when I had places to go), I usually go in and just throw in my miles a few times a month. I do like seeing my numbers effect the CO2 not burned and $$ Saved, but I don't really use it as a constant comparison like I used to. As far as leaving goes, just don't enter in miles this month, and it won't add you next month. If ever you decide to jump back in, your history is still saved (linked to your username).

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »

There is no need to officially bow out. Like all the gauntlets I run, and most of the successful ones I've seen here, it's more about motivation, and trying to get participants to realize that they aren't alone. I can relate to what you are feeling, and it was never my intent to add stress to something that is by it's very nature should reduce that stress (See how appalled I was when people thought I setup the colored chart part to compare them to everyone else a couple of months ago). If you actually want to completely bow out, no pressure here. However, while I didn't have the same stress that you do over daily entering of miles, I did get a bit tired of it. Once I got the motivation to ride (when I had places to go), I usually go in and just throw in my miles a few times a month. I do like seeing my numbers effect the CO2 not burned and $$ Saved, but I don't really use it as a constant comparison like I used to. As far as leaving goes, just don't enter in miles this month, and it won't add you next month. If ever you decide to jump back in, your history is still saved (linked to your username).

Ok, thank you.

Nancy

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »
I'm back! Hopefully I have time to log my miles this year.