Author Topic: August Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 23438 times)

jordanread

Re: August Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »
So DH and I just agreed to do a charity poker run thingy....next Friday....it's about 20 miles over 4 hours. So yeah, this'll be interesting :)

That's going to be awesome!! I know you've dismissed your awesomeness, but seriously, you are doing great. Whether you are getting your SO to ride long distances, or riding distances yourself, this has all been great. I haven't looked at your mileage, but the things you talk about are great. Keep it up.

Am I wrong in assuming that other people here will also congratulate you? Doubtful.
It's hard to feel too badass since I've only logged 8.2 miles since getting back on a bike, never more than 2 miles at a time. We're certainly making strides in the right direction but 20 miles at once scares the crap outta me. We are planning on riding to the "hipster" area of town for lunch sometime this weekend since it would be a good practice run for me to commute to work (3 miles each way, mostly the same route as to my work) but that's still not even close to this run. I guess if I survive that then I have no reason to not bike commute consistently :)

Anyway, we're going to finally go out and buy helmets, water bottles, and cages tonight and I'm trying to track down a bike rack for my car on craigslist

I've yet to find myself (recently) be reproached for being too badass. Take it, and own it.

mathy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
I love biking so much!  I just love sitting in bed drinking my morning coffee for an extra half an hour more some days :)

Does anyone have a 10 mile commute each way and could offer some encouragement?  How did you get started commuting on a daily basis?

With my comments (which is not a valid option for normal people), and the comments from jorjor and aetherie, I feel like I have to ask:

What's stopping you from riding in? I get that you need us, but why? More appropriately, we're here to support you, and what limitations are you running into that we can help with?

I would say my two biggest factors are weather and the little bit of extra time it takes (30 min extra or so than driving).  I'm afraid that I'll ride into work and then it'll start pouring rain and I'll have to bike home.  I dress casually for work so that's not an issue at all.  There are days when I do get up the motivation to do it, but not more than once or twice per week.  I've thought about leaving my car here at work which would then require me to bike.  In fact, I think I might do that next week because the weather here as been crazy nice.  If it did start pouring and I'm not feeling badass, husband could always come pick me up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:20:26 PM by mathy »

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »
I love biking so much!  I just love sitting in bed drinking my morning coffee for an extra half an hour more some days :)

Does anyone have a 10 mile commute each way and could offer some encouragement?  How did you get started commuting on a daily basis?

With my comments (which is not a valid option for normal people), and the comments from jorjor and aetherie, I feel like I have to ask:

What's stopping you from riding in? I get that you need us, but why? More appropriately, we're here to support you, and what limitations are you running into that we can help with?

I would say my two biggest factors are weather and the little bit of extra time it takes (30 min extra or so than driving).  I'm afraid that I'll ride into work and then it'll start pouring rain and I'll have to bike home.  I dress casually for work so that's not an issue at all.  There are days when I do get up the motivation to do it, but not more than once or twice per week.  I've thought about leaving my car here at work which would then require me to bike.  In fact, I think I might do that next week because the weather here as been crazy nice.  If it did start pouring and I'm not feeling badass, husband could always come pick me up.

With regards to time, do you exercise daily? If you are, would commuting to work replace any of the time spent exercising? That could be one way to justify the extra time to yourself. If you aren't exercising often, do you often feel that you should be and would this be a way for you to get out there?

With regards to weather...like you said it's nice to have other options than riding should that need arise. Investing in some waterproof gear (even a simple poncho) will help you feel comfortable riding on rainy days. Maybe you'll be like me. I LOVE riding in the rain (as long as we are only talking rain and not storms). I bundle up in my rain gear, so I stay warm and barely get wet. The trails are peaceful since they are more empty. Ducks are waddling around. I have a blast. Then you can get to work and all of your co-workers can be impressed at how badass it was that you rode in the rain.

mathy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »
With regards to time, do you exercise daily? If you are, would commuting to work replace any of the time spent exercising? That could be one way to justify the extra time to yourself. If you aren't exercising often, do you often feel that you should be and would this be a way for you to get out there?

With regards to weather...like you said it's nice to have other options than riding should that need arise. Investing in some waterproof gear (even a simple poncho) will help you feel comfortable riding on rainy days. Maybe you'll be like me. I LOVE riding in the rain (as long as we are only talking rain and not storms). I bundle up in my rain gear, so I stay warm and barely get wet. The trails are peaceful since they are more empty. Ducks are waddling around. I have a blast. Then you can get to work and all of your co-workers can be impressed at how badass it was that you rode in the rain.

I don't exercise at all except for walking my dogs so I definitely want to get into a routine with biking. 

What kind of rain gear would you suggest?  I have a jacket but it just gets soaked through.

jordanread

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »

I don't exercise at all except for walking my dogs so I definitely want to get into a routine with biking. 

What kind of rain gear would you suggest?  I have a jacket but it just gets soaked through.

Are you not soaked after that long? I am, from sweat. It's why I don't bother with rain gear. My pannier is mostly water-proof, and put valuables in plastic bags. But for clothes, meh.

mathy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »
Are you not soaked after that long? I am, from sweat. It's why I don't bother with rain gear. My pannier is mostly water-proof, and put valuables in plastic bags. But for clothes, meh.

I go slow enough that I don't sweat at all and I typically don't have to change when I get to the office (we dress super casual, t-shirt and jeans).  I just apply some more deodorant and go on with my day. 

The biggest thing that bothers me about biking in the rain is the water in my face and how cold it gets. 

jordanread

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2015, 04:02:14 PM »

I go slow enough that I don't sweat at all and I typically don't have to change when I get to the office (we dress super casual, t-shirt and jeans).  I just apply some more deodorant and go on with my day. 

The biggest thing that bothers me about biking in the rain is the water in my face and how cold it gets.

As far as cold, I can't comment. I bike in super cold weather and love it. Water in the face, that's not a big deal here. Wolf_Stache (and others in that area), may have better insight on that for you. I always have to give myself at least 30 minutes to stop sweating and cool off. I'm sorry, I don't have more insight. People here will help you, but I'm bowing out for now. Happy Cycling!! Also, you can do this.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »

I think that it's great that you want to get into that routine. jordanread and myself and others are absolutely here to be helpful and cheer you on!

I think other people will have good options, but I have a rain shell like this one that is basically like a garbage bag http://www.backcountry.com/louis-garneau-clean-imper-jacket-mens?CMP_SKU=LGN0339&MER=0406&skid=LGN0339-CLE-XXL&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=D2707BAF-0481-E211-A87C-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=77110702837&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=101791138117&gclid=CjwKEAjw9dWuBRDFs9mHv-C9_FkSJADo58iMXmnnV7Cp7VfDhP15_lfK2rfmc9VCvC8r3fqtOiHYchoCUabw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. There are cheaper options though. Others here have posted what they use that is cheaper.

Being able to change at work (even if just in a bathroom) into dry clothes in case something soaks through is helpful too.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »

Could you get a rain guard/fender for your tires to help with splashes? (Examples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=panniers&oq=panniers&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.895j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=bike+rain+guard) I always wear some sort of sunglasses/eyeglasses to protect my eyes, which helps with rain in my eyes as well. A cap with a bill under your helmet can help a lot with that too.

For cold, my best suggestion is to wear layers with the outer layer being waterproof (the link to what I have is above, but a poncho or something else light works too). That way, the rain doesn't get through  to soak your clothes and your body heat stays in.

mathy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »
I'm very inspired!!  Thanks for all the info!  Hopefully you'll see my mileage go up significantly tomorrow and next week!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
It's been a while since I biked. I had surgery in March. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. I previously had ridden and logged mikes for over 24 consecutive months. Rode to the bike shop for a tune up today and it felt sooooo good.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2015, 06:26:21 PM »
It's been a while since I biked. I had surgery in March. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. I previously had ridden and logged mikes for over 24 consecutive months. Rode to the bike shop for a tune up today and it felt sooooo good.

Good luck! Coming back from injury is tough because you remember what you used to be able to do that you can't quite yet do yet. Stick with it and you'll be stronger than before in no time!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2015, 07:48:42 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 05:34:26 AM »
I almost got hit this morning. I'm still shaking. Why do some assholes think 3 inches is plenty of space to pass a bike? There was a whole other lane he could have been in.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2015, 05:50:34 AM »
I haven't put my stats in this month's spreadsheet... honestly, I'm just too busy to keep up with multiple mileage tracking thingies. But I rode 3 weeks straight previously, and only rode 1 day this week (today) because I was fighting a massive head cold. Hadn't tanked up my car in about 6 weeks.

Also, I got interviewed for an article in the Wall Street Journal about bike commuting:

www.wsj.com/articles/your-commute-could-help-you-lose-weight-1439315593

I'm putting in the miles, though. I've lost about 10 pounds in a month just by changing when I eat breakfast. As of last night I'm down to 166 pounds, and I'm 5'10".

Keep on riding, my mustachian bretheren.

TrMama

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »

PNW biker here. I'm only bothered by rain in my face when there's so much it's pouring into my eyes and I can't see. However, I have a coworker who swears by wearing a little peaked hat under his helmet. If you haven't bought a helmet yet, look for one with a visor for this purpose.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:18 PM »
I haven't put my stats in this month's spreadsheet... honestly, I'm just too busy to keep up with multiple mileage tracking thingies. But I rode 3 weeks straight previously, and only rode 1 day this week (today) because I was fighting a massive head cold. Hadn't tanked up my car in about 6 weeks.

Also, I got interviewed for an article in the Wall Street Journal about bike commuting:

www.wsj.com/articles/your-commute-could-help-you-lose-weight-1439315593

I'm putting in the miles, though. I've lost about 10 pounds in a month just by changing when I eat breakfast. As of last night I'm down to 166 pounds, and I'm 5'10".

Keep on riding, my mustachian bretheren.

Great job with getting back on the bike!  I've found that once you get the habit of cycling to work it can be hard to break it.

jordanread

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
So I am officially ready to try bike commuting to work. In a week. When I can move again. DH was playing frisbee golf with a friend so I decided to take my bike and ride the trail around the park. It's a 27 hole course. I did 10 laps. At 1.6 miles a lap (plus two with an extra .3 miles each). Not sure if I feel like a badass or a dumbass because as soon as I stopped moving my thighs started expressing their disapproval. We're still planning on heading out tomorrow but we'll see if I can move or not come morning
I don't care how you feel. Do it, and move on from there!

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2015, 08:58:58 AM »
Shortened 'fun ride' today.  14 miles out, went to shift and suddenly my deraileur cable is waving free in my face.  Limped home in high and highest gears.  Could have been worse though- I had planned on about a 45 mile ride, with some decent rollers, but I hadn't gotten that far yet.

Off to go remember how to replace cables, and fix my trusty steed.

jordanread

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »
So I am officially ready to try bike commuting to work. In a week. When I can move again. DH was playing frisbee golf with a friend so I decided to take my bike and ride the trail around the park. It's a 27 hole course. I did 10 laps. At 1.6 miles a lap (plus two with an extra .3 miles each). Not sure if I feel like a badass or a dumbass because as soon as I stopped moving my thighs started expressing their disapproval. We're still planning on heading out tomorrow but we'll see if I can move or not come morning
I don't care how you feel. Do it, and move on from there!
Didn't make it out yesterday since the cold I'd been fighting came back with a vengeance and I barely even put on actual clothes. We did go out today but I thought I was going to die, not from my legs but my lungs. Apparently not as healthy as I thought yet :( Did about 5.5 miles though
How was the poker ride?

biker77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »
Did a century club ride today with my friends. Nice company some rolling hills, went for coffee and brownie,
They had this singer/guitarist at the cafe, had all of our gang singing with him, he and we got a good kick out of that
and at the end a cold pint of Guinness,  I am in heaven now.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2015, 07:30:39 PM »
Almost forgot to log my short amount of miles this month. It's been hectic for me.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2015, 03:52:15 PM »
Got another good ride in this Saturday.  A problem with having a best friend that lives 27mi away is borrowing and exchanging tools.  The hardest part is making it over the mountain twice.  He bought new brakes for his bike and needed the cable cutters, so I figured I'd just ride over there.  Enjoyed the new route I made for going through the city, much easier, less complicated.  Got to his house in just over 2 hours due to a bridge lift though.

Going home was about as easy, except for the splitting headache I had when I started the ride home.

It amazes me though, every time I have done this ride I have climbed the mountain 3 minutes faster than the time before, and my descent has also gotten faster, even though every time I go up I feel like it's still hard, and I felt like I didn't do so well this time, but the numbers show I've improved.  Can hardly wait to see how I improve in the next year.

Nancy

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2015, 07:24:39 AM »
I returned home from a fantastic and frugal vacation to find my bike stolen.

It had been locked up in the basement of my apartment building. I had always suspected that I would not be angry if someone stole my bike, and I was right; I didn't get upset or feel any violent emotions. I just looked over at the blankness of where she should be, and I felt a little hollowness in the upper left side of my chest, as if my good friend had moved away and I hadn't had a chance to say goodbye. I hope whoever took her treats her well and rides her frequently.

Mary Larkspee, silver steed,  ol' girl, thank you for seeing me through the winter so safely. Thank you for always getting me up the hill. I should have taken better care of you. Ride on. :)

jordanread

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
I returned home from a fantastic and frugal vacation to find my bike stolen.

It had been locked up in the basement of my apartment building. I had always suspected that I would not be angry if someone stole my bike, and I was right; I didn't get upset or feel any violent emotions. I just looked over at the blankness of where she should be, and I felt a little hollowness in the upper left side of my chest, as if my good friend had moved away and I hadn't had a chance to say goodbye. I hope whoever took her treats her well and rides her frequently.

Mary Larkspee, silver steed,  ol' girl, thank you for seeing me through the winter so safely. Thank you for always getting me up the hill. I should have taken better care of you. Ride on. :)

That is an absolute wonderful way of looking at a bad situation. Ride on!

Nancy

« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2015, 06:46:03 AM »
Thanks, Jordan!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2015, 08:21:15 AM »
After nearly 3 months of commuting only by bike, rain or shine, I was seriously contemplating taking the bus today. There has been an air quality advisory due to smoke from the fires in Washington all week. Yesterday air quality was rated 8 on a scale of 1-10. Today is currently rated 16, on a scale of 1-10 (?!?). But I biked anyway, I can't break my streak before I hit the end of August and I don't have lung or breathing problems. I wasn't the only one biking and it didn't seem that bad. Not coughing yet.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2015, 12:44:56 PM »
Wow Cookie78 - the smoke has definitely sidelined me, even from walking at the moment. Although at 4 months pregnant, and out of shape due to lack of riding during a crappy first trimester, I think I have valid reasons and not just excuses ;)

Here's hoping the smoke clears out soon! Work has slowed down and I'd like to pick up a few more bike errands close to home. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
Wow Cookie78 - the smoke has definitely sidelined me, even from walking at the moment. Although at 4 months pregnant, and out of shape due to lack of riding during a crappy first trimester, I think I have valid reasons and not just excuses ;)

Here's hoping the smoke clears out soon! Work has slowed down and I'd like to pick up a few more bike errands close to home.

Those are both great reasons! I know quite a few people who stopped biking this week and others who tried and were then sick at home for a few days. I thought the air was clearing up today so pushed myself a little harder this morning on the way to work and suffered for it by coughing for a few hours. I should probably take the bus tomorrow, but I'd really hate to say I biked to work every day for 3 months EXCEPT that ONE day! Ugh. I think I'll just go slow.

Forecast says it'll be smoky for a few more days yet.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »

Those are both great reasons! I know quite a few people who stopped biking this week and others who tried and were then sick at home for a few days. I thought the air was clearing up today so pushed myself a little harder this morning on the way to work and suffered for it by coughing for a few hours. I should probably take the bus tomorrow, but I'd really hate to say I biked to work every day for 3 months EXCEPT that ONE day! Ugh. I think I'll just go slow.

Have you tried riding with something covering your nose and mouth?  A scarf, or a surgical mask, to filter the larger particles out of the air may help.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »

I just got back from a short vacation in Banff. The smoke was miserable. We've had smoke/air quality warnings here in Denver during fires before, and it's never affected me before. There, I started getting scratchy eyes late Sunday, then a headache, and by Monday I felt nauseous whenever I went outside, and it would get better whenever I came back in. I felt lethargic and tired when I went out too. I can't even blame altitude since I'm higher in Denver. I was in a world of hurt.

The one say I could see things in Banff before the smoke set in was gorgeous. I need to go back, and get on a bike next time.

lulakilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • lulakilla
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
I just put down a deposit on a flat ten miles from my job this afternoon! Starting Monday I'll have a ten mile commute too. I've commuted by bike before, but only 5 miles and only intermittently in good weather. It's gonna rule!

I sold my car almost a month ago and live 18 miles from my job! AHHH! Luckily there is a commuter rail in between so I've added only about 8-10 miles of biking per day to my activity level, however, I biked the whole way home one night last week and used Google Maps. it was hilarious because I didn't have a front of bike light and it took me through some steep and unlit hills >8O

winter here in Boston should be interesting though...

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »

I just got back from a short vacation in Banff. The smoke was miserable. We've had smoke/air quality warnings here in Denver during fires before, and it's never affected me before. There, I started getting scratchy eyes late Sunday, then a headache, and by Monday I felt nauseous whenever I went outside, and it would get better whenever I came back in. I felt lethargic and tired when I went out too. I can't even blame altitude since I'm higher in Denver. I was in a world of hurt.

The one say I could see things in Banff before the smoke set in was gorgeous. I need to go back, and get on a bike next time.

Highway 1a to lake Louise is a lovely road bike, at least as long as traffic doesn't get redirected from the main highway... And the canmore-banff bike path is great too! I'm glad you at least caught the view before the haze set in!

Edit: I was wondering if the shortness of breath, nausea and lethargy was pregnancy or smoke...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:59:34 PM by Kmp2 »

jordanread

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
To all of you in the areas affected by smoke from the fires, I'm sorry on behalf of the stupid crap the human race does that at least partially caused this. I hope stuff clears up, or that it doesn't bother you too much.

Not until the 28th but I predict a near death experience

That's today!!! How are you feeling for it? I can't wait to hear about your experience. I love when people reach new (10)milestones on a bike. You've got this!!

[...]

I hope whoever took her treats her well and rides her frequently.

For some reason, I've been thinking about this quote (especially the ride on part), and think I might make it into a poster to put in the office.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2015, 12:32:32 AM »
I wasn't able to join in for August, but are you guys going to continue the cycling challenge into September?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2015, 01:31:50 AM »
Yep! There's one every month.

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »
On Saturday Intook the train to NYC and then biked back home (West of Philadelphia). Got lost 5 times (Jersey City, Newark, Plainfield, Trenton and Bucks County) and had a flat on the D&R Canal Towpath. Finally made it home in the dark at 8:30.

New record 135.6 miles in one day.

I drove to the grocery store this morning. I believe MMM says you are allowed to drive the day after a century.

TrMama

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »
Back in the saddle today after a month of vacation and schlepping kids to summer camps around the neighbourhood. I even made the kids bike to their camp this morning. It's the closest one to home and they were champs.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
Rode through the rain today. What a great ride. At least, the first part was.
I went to the chiropractor. I arrive soaking wet, he doesn't care, whatever.
The problem was when I left and rode to work. I was soaking wet and of course, not warmed up. Fortunately it's not far from the chiropractor to work.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
So much easier biking now that the smoke is gone!! Yay oxygen.

As of today I made it 3 months straight only commuting to work by bike. :D I'm not sure I will make it all the way through September. Some days I feel good, other days I'm ready for a change. Also I almost got hit by a speeding SUV today and it shook me up a bit. I'm sure after 2 or 3 days on the bus I'll wonder wtf I was thinking by not biking.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2015, 04:31:57 PM »

As of today I made it 3 months straight only commuting to work by bike. :D I'm not sure I will make it all the way through September. Some days I feel good, other days I'm ready for a change. Also I almost got hit by a speeding SUV today and it shook me up a bit. I'm sure after 2 or 3 days on the bus I'll wonder wtf I was thinking by not biking.

Dunno if this would have helped in your situation, but do you have a an air horn for your bike?  It's saved my butt once and a fellow group rider's as well. Already paid for itself.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »

Dunno if this would have helped in your situation, but do you have a an air horn for your bike?  It's saved my butt once and a fellow group rider's as well. Already paid for itself.

I don't. I'm not sure it would have helped in this case. It's a crosswalk on a dangerous blind downhill corner turning on to a 100km/hr road. I always shoulder check twice, but this time I was watching the bike coming the opposite way. He was unpredictable, the bike path splits three ways, I didn't know which way he was going, and I was trying to avoid him. I only shoulder checked once, far too late, just as I was entering the crosswalk. People almost always stop anyway because they can see me going down the hill well before the corner, but this guy didn't even slow down. I should have checked sooner, and twice, like usual. I shouldn't have gotten so comfortable at that intersection. And I'm just glad I checked when I did and stopped before too late.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »
Sort of a lazy month for me, barely crossed 400mi.  I did more weight lifting this month, and race season is basically over for the year.  Weather looks good next weekend so I should be able to get a good start on September.  I've also discovered the recumbent bike machine at our gym.  It's not as ideal as a spin cycle, but it does a good workout.  I've been debating on getting a trainer for the winter, but I'll try to weather this winter with running and recumbent along with the occasional outside ride depending on rain.  Hope to hit next year running.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
I don't. I'm not sure it would have helped in this case. It's a crosswalk on a dangerous blind downhill corner turning on to a 100km/hr road. I always shoulder check twice, but this time I was watching the bike coming the opposite way. He was unpredictable, the bike path splits three ways, I didn't know which way he was going, and I was trying to avoid him. I only shoulder checked once, far too late, just as I was entering the crosswalk. People almost always stop anyway because they can see me going down the hill well before the corner, but this guy didn't even slow down. I should have checked sooner, and twice, like usual. I shouldn't have gotten so comfortable at that intersection. And I'm just glad I checked when I did and stopped before too late.
Just reading your description of events gave me vivid flashes of getting in to such an accident.... *shivers*
I'm gonna... walk around and be grateful that I'm not a comatose vegetable right now...

jordanread

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
Just reading your description of events gave me vivid flashes of getting in to such an accident.... *shivers*
I'm gonna... walk around and be grateful that I'm not a comatose vegetable right now...

I'm going to post this again in next month's thread (since it will be up later tonight), but have you seen the latest e-bike post from MMM? Thoughts?

jordanread

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:05 PM »

I'm going to post this again in next month's thread (since it will be up later tonight), but have you seen the latest e-bike post from MMM? Thoughts?
Got overruled by the other half. Sheet will be up in the morning before I begin my commute.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »

I've been doing the same today.

At first I was mad, then emotional, then fearful, then reflective about my own negligence. And after I calmed down and wasn't shaky I felt a sense of thankfulness and contentment. Glad I am alive.

jordanread

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:48 AM »
New challenge is up, and located here.

Happy cycling!!