Author Topic: August Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 22687 times)

jordanread

Re: August Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
You guys crack me up your fighting over the top position at over 300 miles on your bike this month so far and I will be elated that I am breaking 100 miles in a month.  I do have a ways to go.

Yeah, I was pretty stoked that I broke 100 miles this month. I can't wait until I get up to the level of Russ and GoblinChief.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »
I was sooo proud of myself I installed fenders, and a new rear rack (one that was compatible with my daughters new child seat)... but half way to work yesterday my front disc brake really starts squealing on light and hard braking... no problem I will swing by a bike shop on my way home and get them to check it and see if they can fix what we did...
Unfortunately I go to unlock my bike at the end of the day and I have no keys. No keys anywhere. Reception, and all admins are already gone for the day (which is probably where they got turned into). The good news is my bike is still there.

I had to cave and call my husband for a pickup with the extra bike lock key. Hopefully I can get another ride to work in and the brake fixed before we go on vacation next week. I am also still dying to take my daughter out in her new seat! But should probably make sure I have brakes first...

Oh, Jordanread - I figured out why google doesn't give me a profile - I have a brutally old browser at work. The elevation profile is available on my android. Many thanks for pointing that out.

jordanread

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
Oh, Jordanread - I figured out why google doesn't give me a profile - I have a brutally old browser at work. The elevation profile is available on my android. Many thanks for pointing that out.

It's a handy little bit of information. Glad you got it figured out.

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 12:12:09 AM »
Another 15k, another accident. No sympathy this time.

jordanread

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »

Oh, the fall over while walking crashes. Yeah, those suck.

Nancy

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 07:30:27 AM »
maybe eventually... I'm less motivated now that I have to add my sheet again every month

You mean like before when it was already there at the beginning of the month? If so, I'm building in a persist option starting next month, so you'll be added every month thereafter. In the meantime, I will just feel inferior and keep trying to match what I imagine your miles are. I added you for this month so you don't have to, just in case. Right now, I'm kicking your ass. Muahahahaha. :-)

I highly doubt that I'll ever come close to Russ's mileage since a.) I'm lazy and b.) I don't think I travel that far in a month, but I like to think of Russ as my biking motivation. Like in the winter I think: if Russ can bike hundreds of miles in ridiculous temps, I can bike 8.5 miles in 10F. So thanks Russ! Even if you are an android, like Data from Star Trek the Next Generation:)

jordanread

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
maybe eventually... I'm less motivated now that I have to add my sheet again every month

You mean like before when it was already there at the beginning of the month? If so, I'm building in a persist option starting next month, so you'll be added every month thereafter. In the meantime, I will just feel inferior and keep trying to match what I imagine your miles are. I added you for this month so you don't have to, just in case. Right now, I'm kicking your ass. Muahahahaha. :-)

I highly doubt that I'll ever come close to Russ's mileage since a.) I'm lazy and b.) I don't think I travel that far in a month, but I like to think of Russ as my biking motivation. Like in the winter I think: if Russ can bike hundreds of miles in ridiculous temps, I can bike 8.5 miles in 10F. So thanks Russ! Even if you are an android, like Data from Star Trek the Next Generation:)
I'm waiting for when I do my two days a month in Denver via bike. That'd be 300 right there. One day, Russ, one day.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
Do it! I commuted Lexington <-> Cincinnati once, and have done Madison <-> Milwaukee a few times.

jordanread

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
Do it! I commuted Lexington <-> Cincinnati once, and have done Madison <-> Milwaukee a few times.
I have every intention of doing so. I do need to get more consistent, especially if I'm going to do 75 miles with a schedule. For example, this morning's commute was fun, but for no apparent reason I was dragging ass. I couldn't break 10mph and it was all I could do to keep it above 9. Practice practice practice.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »
<snip>

That is hilarious (not least because it strikes a wee bit close to home)! <sigh>

Cute drawing, too. I love the idea of journaling in sketches.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
I was going to start back commuting this month, and I ended up seriously hurting something in my hip (the one that's reconstructed because of a car/bike accident). Not trying to gain sympathy votes, but I'm definitely trying to get back in the routine. Hoping to do a solid 3 days a week once I get back, that should net me about 50 miles a week. We'll see how the hip does in a week or so, I might be able to hit it full time in September.

Ugh. Wish me luck.

usmarine1975

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
Had to decide whether or not to ride home from work today leaving the truck in the parking lot.  It started to rain shortly before I left.  At quitting time I decided to go for it and changed.  It rained for a portion of my ride but most of the way was fine just wet roads.  Was a great ride save hearing the mother yelling at her 1 or 2 year old who was crying to be held to Shutup, shutup, shutup, like 6 or so times.  I wanted to face punch her but I held myself from doing so and kept riding.

So Now I need to figure out what I should be using to lube my chain and other stuff to stave off rust.  What should I get and keep in mind we get pretty good winters so I probably need a different lube for winter weather.  Sound off the suggestions and where you purchase it.  Thanks in advance.

jordanread

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
Had to decide whether or not to ride home from work today leaving the truck in the parking lot.  It started to rain shortly before I left.  At quitting time I decided to go for it and changed.  It rained for a portion of my ride but most of the way was fine just wet roads.  Was a great ride save hearing the mother yelling at her 1 or 2 year old who was crying to be held to Shutup, shutup, shutup, like 6 or so times.  I wanted to face punch her but I held myself from doing so and kept riding.

So Now I need to figure out what I should be using to lube my chain and other stuff to stave off rust.  What should I get and keep in mind we get pretty good winters so I probably need a different lube for winter weather.  Sound off the suggestions and where you purchase it.  Thanks in advance.

+1. I use WD-40, but am still getting some rust. The other day, my GF actually texted me asking me if I needed a ride home, because it started sprinkling. It was perfect timing for me, though. I am mostly down hill on the way home, but one hill just before I get to the park. Something like a 400ft elevation gain over 1/10th of a mile. The rain cooled me off. About 30 seconds before I got home, it started raining and hailing. So awesome!!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Chain cleaning and lube practices are an Olde Tyme Religion debate.

1. WD-40 is a Water Displacement agent, not a lubricant. On bikes, it's useful for removing handlebars and getting new grips to slide on. That's pretty much it.

2. Some people are wax lube devotees (White Lightning). Less mess, but very short lifespan. As short as 50 miles in bad conditions.

3. I'm an oil lube guy. The typical recommendations are Triflow and Boeshield T-9. I use TriFlow. Apply a drop to each link, run the chain a few full revolutions, then take a shop rag and lightly wipe off excess oil. I typically relube about every 200-300 miles, but it really depends on the conditions. If the chain squeaks, it needs lube.

usmarine1975

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 08:28:30 AM »
So after some thought I purchased a 4 oz bottle of Boeshield T-9.

I may look into the gallon Jug depending on how much I actually use or how quickly.  At least at this point it gives me a 4 oz bottle to use. 

Thanks for the input and a google search helped as well.  I was currently spraying with WD-40

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
4oz. should last you a year +, I wouldn't buy the gallon

usmarine1975

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2014, 08:54:06 AM »
The price per ounce for a 4 oz bottle is in the $2 range.  The gallon is in the $.68/ oz range.  The only reason I would consider the gallon Jug.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
I've got 5 bikes to maintain, and the 9 oz bottle of Triflow lasts easily a year or more. Yes, the gallon size is cheaper per ounce, but it's probably only for full shops.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »
I use pneumatic tool oil on my chains, they last a good long time and it's also a rust inhibitor. You can buy it cheaply in bulk at the hardware store. The only downside is that it's messy. But definitely look into some sort of oil unless you live in a dry, dusty environment (in which case the oil will just attract dust).

usmarine1975

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2014, 09:25:26 AM »
I won't buy the gallon at present but will for my next purchase whenever that may be.  The cost will be the reason also I can use the t-9 on tools that are in my shop.  It has more uses then just chain oil.  Thanks for the input.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
+1 to triflow and I also buy the little bottles and they last a long time (though I don't use for tools).

Arg, drove to work today for the first time since June 9. At least had a decent reason: needed to get to a job interview across town in the middle of the day. Biking has been pretty bad the last couple weeks too, with lots of detours for road construction putting me on busier roads. The city also decided to throw down a lot of gravel on other roads and let the cars pound it down as a way to resurface... at least no wipe-outs on the stuff yet.

jordanread

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
+1 to triflow and I also buy the little bottles and they last a long time (though I don't use for tools).

Arg, drove to work today for the first time since June 9. At least had a decent reason: needed to get to a job interview across town in the middle of the day. Biking has been pretty bad the last couple weeks too, with lots of detours for road construction putting me on busier roads. The city also decided to throw down a lot of gravel on other roads and let the cars pound it down as a way to resurface... at least no wipe-outs on the stuff yet.

I had to drive in today as well, but it was planned. It's very difficult pulling my car behind my bike to get it's maintenance done. :-) Although it's a nice cool day for biking, which makes me sad. Got to go up to Denver next week, but I should bike in everyday but Tuesday. I'm above the average for the first time, and am not looking forward to 3 days of it catching up to me. :-)

usmarine1975

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »
Garnered 4 free bikes today. Need some of the parts and will donate the rest to local co op.  Who needs to buy a bike.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
Garnered 4 free bikes today. Need some of the parts and will donate the rest to local co op.  Who needs to buy a bike.

Nice! How'd you pick those up?

BTW: I think What needs it more, personally.

usmarine1975

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »
Family function saw 4 bikes leaned up against the shed under a roof looking un used. Asked family member and he was glad to see em go.

Forgot the When needs it soon
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:18:11 PM by usmarine1975 »

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »
Busted out 45 miles on the bike at 2 AM.. then went on a 12 mile hike up along Zuma Canyon in the mountains... then biked 15 miles back home @ 9 PM.
This is why I shouldn't be left alone on the weekends :P

jordanread

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
Busted out 45 miles on the bike at 2 AM.. then went on a 12 mile hike up along Zuma Canyon in the mountains... then biked 15 miles back home @ 9 PM.
This is why I shouldn't be left alone on the weekends :P

That sounds like a great reason to be left alone on the weekends!!!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
My wife had ankle surgery in June which curtailed my riding.  Now she can drive again and I'm back on the bike!!

usmarine1975

« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
I am almost at 200 miles for the month.  Woo hoo, gotta try to make it happen this weekend.  Also down 12 lbs and my belt had to go to the next loop.  I have also had a change of diet along with the biking.  No Wheat because I have a Wheat sensitivity.  Not Gluten free just wheat free.  Fun stuff.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
Sorry guys, low month for me this month, just made it over 300.  Working from home a few days and a couple of unexpected flats did me in.  =( 
Here's to more miles next month!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »
Whoo! 100% of commutes in August done by bicycle. :D

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
Whoo! 100% of commutes in August done by bicycle. :D

Kicked my ass. Way to go everyone. I should have some pretty neat stuff for the next month, including a separation of recreational vs. car replacement miles, a persist option (So you are automatically added each month - if you hit 0 miles 2 months in a row, you are no longer persisted), and some individual user graphs. I'm also rebuilding historical data graphs, and re-enabling one button sorting.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »

Kicked my ass. Way to go everyone. I should have some pretty neat stuff for the next month, including a separation of recreational vs. car replacement miles, a persist option (So you are automatically added each month - if you hit 0 miles 2 months in a row, you are no longer persisted), and some individual user graphs. I'm also rebuilding historical data graphs, and re-enabling one button sorting.

That's kick-ass!  Thanks jordanread!  Can't wait to see all the new speadsheet bling.

jordanread

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »

That's kick-ass!  Thanks jordanread!  Can't wait to see all the new speadsheet bling.

Yeah, it'll be actual visible options and stuff. I'm dreading entering my stuff next month, since historically I sucked, but I bet your chart would be cool looking!!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »

Yeah, it'll be actual visible options and stuff. I'm dreading entering my stuff next month, since historically I sucked, but I bet your chart would be cool looking!!

I would definitely be keen to see my miles over the last two years...I've finally ditched the 'can't bike wussiness' to the point of "If I can't bike to work: I can't go to work!".  Although, this summer I haven't done any mountain biking whatsoever...due to various injuries...so my overall summer miles will be pretty low this year...

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2014, 06:41:08 AM »
Great month of cycling!

Decided to track a little more detail this month

• Total Miles: 571
  • Miles I pulled all three kids (~200 pounds): 265
  • Miles my wife biked: 91
  • Miles my kids bikes on their own power: 43

jordanread

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
The new sheet will be up later today. I had hoped to have it up last night, but I tried starting a scratch document and Google's api has changed, so I wasted some time on that. It's still gonna be awesome. For now, I'm out to hit up some trails and get a jump on my miles. I'll let you know when it's up.

jordanread

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
This does not bode well for September. On my ride today, I managed to break my metal pedal (where the power grips mount) and blow out two types of my vibrams. I'm going to rig something up for this week (duct tape?) And start thinking about SPDs...grrrrrr. Anyway, gonna work on the sheet now.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
this is the cosmos kicking you in the ass for not switching to clipless a long time ago. you'll love it

jordanread

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
this is the cosmos kicking you in the ass for not switching to clipless a long time ago. you'll love it
Well then, you tell the cosmos to make some clipless for those of us who hate shoes.
In all seriousness, I've had them before, and love them. I do hate shoes, and having a pair specifically for a task rubs me the wrong way. I might suck it up, though. I'd have to get the hybrid pedals though. Having a specific pair of shoes for a specific task is bad enough, but having to wear the shoes to participate would be too much. You have any suggestions?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »
Well then, you tell the cosmos to make some clipless for those of us who hate shoes.
In all seriousness, I've had them before, and love them. I do hate shoes, and having a pair specifically for a task rubs me the wrong way. I might suck it up, though. I'd have to get the hybrid pedals though. Having a specific pair of shoes for a specific task is bad enough, but having to wear the shoes to participate would be too much. You have any suggestions?

Granted, I might love clipless if I tried them, but my good athletic sandals (Teva) plus these pedals is a great combo for hot days, rain, and then keeping traction all the way into insulated boot weather.

Please note, though: nicking these pedals with your shins hurts like hell.

jordanread

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »

Granted, I might love clipless if I tried them, but my good athletic sandals (Teva) plus these pedals is a great combo for hot days, rain, and then keeping traction all the way into insulated boot weather.

Yeah, we've talked about that before. Once you get power on the upstroke, there is no going back. I am looking at those for the gf, though. A it more traction might help her out.

usmarine1975

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
Just wanted to check if the sheet for September has been put up yet?  I haven't been able to find it.  No huge rush just wanted to make sure I am not missing it.

jordanread

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
Just wanted to check if the sheet for September has been put up yet?  I haven't been able to find it.  No huge rush just wanted to make sure I am not missing it.
Not yet. I had to backtrack on some of the automated chart stuff, so I'm just cleaning it now. Sorry for the delay guys. It will be up within an hour or two.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »

Yeah, we've talked about that before. Once you get power on the upstroke, there is no going back. I am looking at those for the gf, though. A it more traction might help her out.

I'm probably the only person in the world who went back to regular pedals after using clipless for a year. The movement to take my feet off the pedals agrevated my old knees injuries.

jordanread

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
New gauntlet has been thrown!!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/september-cycling-challenge-2014/. Almost a record month this month for distance!! Feel free to comment here if you have any questions or issues.