Author Topic: August Cycling Challenge 2014  (Read 22670 times)

jordanread

August Cycling Challenge 2014
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
After a slight delay, it's finally here! The form and spreadsheet are up for the Cycling Challenge for August 2014. Not too many new features are fully implemented, but I may be adding some stuff to your sheets throughout the month. I've gotten access to previous months, and will also be tracking your all time miles. Some chart functionality will be added next month (optional) that breaks out your stats since you've been participating. The money saved by not driving piece still isn't fully functional, but next month you'll be able to input the MPG of your car, and calculate the savings.

The form is located at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18GK0JFao91WbNADjgn1E-HR6f5HHyhVCMq7539aaenA/viewform.

Fill it out, and then go to the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao9WawExpjLNdGpmV3FoZ0pDWVBROWZIc0o5SjRiRHc&usp=sharing.

I'm still recovering from my camping trip, but hopefully within a day or two I'll have some fun stats up for the month of July. In the meantime, here are some fun stats that I learned while getting historical data imported:

Total Unique Participants: 187
Most participants in a month: 60 (June 2013)
Most miles in a month: 8,511 (April 2013)
Highest Average miles/participant: 194 (July 2014)
Most months participated in by a single member: 22 (Ottawa) - That is every single challenge since the beginning!!

Happy Cycling!!

Thegoblinchief

Re: August Cycling Challenge 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
Yes, thank you jordanread!

Forgot how much I enjoy biking in the rain. The initial getting wet stage isn't fun, but afterwards it's a blast. Also feel safer with new and improved lights. The Cygolite Metro 360's DayFlash mode is hella noticeable in daytime cloudy/rainy weather.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:05:12 PM »
I'm in for the challenge, but haven't racked up more than a mile or two since the month started.  =( 

Then again, a flat tire at the last minute prevented me from biking to work this morning, but it all worked out for the best as there were flash floods and the news said 6" of rain in some parts of town.  Yikes!  Forecast looks a bit drier tomorrow, so back on the bike!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
Didn't commute to work today at all (woke up with a horrible migraine), but I added my hours from Friday and this weekend. I'm kinda guestimating on the miles I rode for fun based on google maps, as my bike computer crapped out on me (I think it needs a new battery).

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
Looks like there might be an issue with the form. Keep filling out your own tabs, and I'll get this all taken care of.

I think I found the issue. Next person who adds themselves to the forms, please check the Summary page, and check if you show up, along with your mileage. If you do, please let me know here or PM me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:15:27 PM by jordanread »

usmarine1975

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:40:47 AM »
I was able to add myself.  My goal is to increase my riding this month.  2 days a week at minimum.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:19:51 AM »
It added me to both forms no problem... Look forward to beating last months total!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
Thanks a lot for keeping this challenge going!  We're almost two years since the initial challenge got off the ground. 

Wiggle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
Signed up, hoping to commute at least once a week or more.  I also do a fair amount of recreational riding.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »
Signed up!  Thanks for putting this together!

My commute is about 9 miles one way, so I hope to get some miles on the board :).

usmarine1975

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 06:52:49 AM »
Went today and yesterday without driving, unless you count moving the truck so I don't get a parking ticket.  Rode to apartment to do more painting last night and hauled paint and supplies home on the bike no trailer this time. 

I am averaging 5.55 min per mile.  Not sure how good or bad that is.  Riding a Huffy 18 speed.  Seems to work ok.  Next week going to take it with to the recycle bicycle shop and try to get it gone over and adjusted.  Started tearing down my back up bike.  Going to need a new rim some paint, and looks like new hardware on the handlebars and cables.  Chain and shifting links shimano seem to be in tact.  Need to tighten up the crank so may take it in for that and help with the brakes & shifting knobs, linkage.  It's a Schwinn Clear Creek. Yea I know it's not a cannondale like the one that passed me today.  But it's a free bike as well.

Got my 2 days in this week and the only thing I would add is now all I am trying to do is find a reason not to ride.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:42:06 AM »
My sister has a Clear Creek. Not really my style, as it's a comfort hybrid, but it seems like a decently put together bike. Might even be better than your Huffy once fully fixed.

Your pace will increase naturally over time.

usmarine1975

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
A couple months ago I donated a Schwinn Street bike fully operational.  A bit older but cleaned up etc... it would have been much better for faster commuting.  Although the roads are not necessarily the best for such a bike as we have lot's of bumps etc...  Face Punch.

It went to the Recycle Bicycle folks and I can most likely get another one if I want to.  We shall see. 

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »
Ok, since everyone is posting about their bikes, here is my commuter:

A FELT Z-90 F-Elite racing bicycle, purchased brand new back around 2008 or 2009 (I forget). I was getting really into bike racing for a while, and bought this to race. Of course a few years later I was diagnosed with tumor, and had major surgery, so no more racing. It serves as a decent commuter, despite the fact that it has no rack attachment points I was able to find a seat-post mounted rack to use.

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
This is bullshit. Finally got myself all up and motivated, and fixing my sleep issues...and then I have been working from home. Talk about mustachian problems...Should bike in the rest of the month, hopefully. Done pretty well not driving, just don't have anywhere to go, and not much time for recreational stuff.

Nancy

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
I'm in. Thanks for the sheet!

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
Fell off the bike for the first time this morning - panicked about being in traffic, missed the kerb, had an altercation with my brakes, trapped my leg between the handlebar and seat and sort of did a slow-motion arc into the verge. Spectacular enough for someone to come running out of a business across the street and dust me off, but I didn't even get a visible graze. The only damage was to my pride, nerves and the angle of the front reflector.

And I *still* made the trip to work in 1 hour and 21 minutes (sedately, on the footpath), which is a personal best.

(I then restored my equilibrium with coffee and a hot sausage roll from the 7-11).

Nancy

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »
Tanhanivar, sorry about the fall, but glad to hear that you rocked it out nonetheless. I like the image of someone running across the street to dust you off. Each time I've fallen, I'm on the ground before I register that I'm going down. It's a weird feeling.

winstonsmith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »
Ok, since everyone is posting about their bikes, here is my commuter:

A FELT Z-90 F-Elite racing bicycle, purchased brand new back around 2008 or 2009 (I forget). I was getting really into bike racing for a while, and bought this to race. Of course a few years later I was diagnosed with tumor, and had major surgery, so no more racing. It serves as a decent commuter, despite the fact that it has no rack attachment points I was able to find a seat-post mounted rack to use.

Nice rig.  It does look pretty fast.

I have been thinking about getting into bike racing for a while.  I am fixing up my older Bianchi 10 speed for that exact purpose.  It doesn't hold a candle to the more modern (extremely lightweight) bikes out there today, but I think it's a good start. 

Keep up the commuting everyone!

-winston

tanhanivar

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 12:00:37 AM »

Tanhanivar, sorry about the fall, but glad to hear that you rocked it out nonetheless. I like the image of someone running across the street to dust you off. Each time I've fallen, I'm on the ground before I register that I'm going down. It's a weird feeling.

Thanks Nancy!
Here is the graphic recreation of the incident.

jordanread

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 07:30:32 AM »

Thanks Nancy!
Here is the graphic recreation of the incident.

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing. I saw the post in mustachian problems about trying to convince someone who is dusting you off to bike. Now we have "evidence".

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 07:50:12 AM »
Yes! A Mustachian graphic novel! Do it! All the material is here on the forums.

jordanread

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
Yes! A Mustachian graphic novel! Do it! All the material is here on the forums.
Best. Idea. Ever. Or even just a comic strip f from the highlights. Overheard at work, bicycling arguments, or the mystery that was surrounding arebelspy's 10000th post. Ooh. Aren't there a few of those make your own story threads?

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 08:20:16 AM »
Ok so I've biked to work twice this week and on days when I had appointments too! Which meant different routes. I used google maps to route to/from my appointments & work, but monday I discovered that the recommended path through the park was closed. The bridge across the creek was out (actually it was in a field far from the new path of the river - we've had a few bad floods). There are only two rather non-bikeable roads accross the park, and usually lots of paths. The other paths were far out of the way. So I forded the creek! I wasn't brave enough to try riding across there is some mid calf deep fast moving water, so I carried my bike :) It was awesome, but I should have continued to follow the mountain bike trail on the other side and not head directly back to paved path... there was a slough in the way.

Any ideas for how to get bike shoes clean?

But I am feeling rather badass!

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Nice Kmp2! Fording bodies of water with a bicycle is definitely badass in my book. Google maps for bike routes has left me in such a predicament before too...

jordanread

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »

Ford a bathtub :-) (I know not that helpful. I have no recent experience with biking shoes, but I did want to offer a suggestion)

Ok so I've biked to work twice this week and on days when I had appointments too! Which meant different routes. I used google maps to route to/from my appointments & work, but monday I discovered that the recommended path through the park was closed. The bridge across the creek was out (actually it was in a field far from the new path of the river - we've had a few bad floods). There are only two rather non-bikeable roads accross the park, and usually lots of paths. The other paths were far out of the way. So I forded the creek! I wasn't brave enough to try riding across there is some mid calf deep fast moving water, so I carried my bike :) It was awesome, but I should have continued to follow the mountain bike trail on the other side and not head directly back to paved path... there was a slough in the way.

But I am feeling rather badass!

Overall, that sounded like a great ride. I was going to mention that with the latest (or maybe 2 versions back) of Google Maps now has the elevation graph when looking up biking directions.

Nice Kmp2! Fording bodies of water with a bicycle is definitely badass in my book. Google maps for bike routes has left me in such a predicament before too...

These past few updates have been great. I had one experience a few years back where it was trying to send me through a gated community. If you run into stuff like that, you should pull up the directions/route, and then provide feedback. Back then, it took a few weeks, but then I got an email back stating that I was correct and the route had been updated. Haven't had an issue since then.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:15 AM »
I was hit today on my way to work... by another cyclist. *Palm forhead*

Here is what happened:

I was riding in the middle of the right-hand lane and there was a big delivery van driving in the lane to my left. A cyclist was wobbling his way down the gutter at the very edge of the right hand lane in ahead of us.

As I passed the cyclist, he suddenly swerved hard left - for no reason I could see- right into my path. I hit my brakes and swerved left to try to avoid him, but to no avail - he plowed right into me, broadside. We went flying in a tangle of people and bicycles right into the path of the oncoming delivery van. Luckily the van had been slowing down to turn and he was able to stop in time. But I was shaken up for the rest of my ride to work.

jordanread

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »

Here is what happened:

I was riding in the middle of the right-hand lane and there was a big delivery van driving in the lane to my left. A cyclist was wobbling his way down the gutter at the very edge of the right hand lane in ahead of us.

As I passed the cyclist, he suddenly swerved hard left - for no reason I could see- right into my path. I hit my brakes and swerved left to try to avoid him, but to no avail - he plowed right into me, broadside. We went flying in a tangle of people and bicycles right into the path of the oncoming delivery van. Luckily the van had been slowing down to turn and he was able to stop in time. But I was shaken up for the rest of my ride to work.

Yikes. Sorry that happened to you. You okay from the tumble?

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
These past few updates have been great. I had one experience a few years back where it was trying to send me through a gated community. If you run into stuff like that, you should pull up the directions/route, and then provide feedback. Back then, it took a few weeks, but then I got an email back stating that I was correct and the route had been updated. Haven't had an issue since then.

Yes, for a while Google had several one-way bike paths around lakes near me going the wrong direction. Not a big deal since you can just hop on the road instead, but I was impressed that it was corrected quickly after I reported it. I don't bother reporting seasonal things like flooding, though we have a regional online bike mapping site that is more wiki-style for such things (www.cyclopath.org).

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »

Here is what happened:

Yikes. Sorry that happened to you. You okay from the tumble?

Yeah, wasn't hurt at all (see the post earlier about popping right back up from a fall, heh). Just shaken.

jordanread

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

Yes, for a while Google had several one-way bike paths around lakes near me going the wrong direction. Not a big deal since you can just hop on the road instead, but I was impressed that it was corrected quickly after I reported it. I don't bother reporting seasonal things like flooding, though we have a regional online bike mapping site that is more wiki-style for such things (www.cyclopath.org).

Here is shot of the elevation stuff, in case you were interested. It seems to be pretty accurate:

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »

Ford a bathtub :-) (I know not that helpful. I have no recent experience with biking shoes, but I did want to offer a suggestion)

I tried my toddlers kiddie pool, and left them out in the sun all day yesterday, they are still pretty dirty, but I don't think they smell as much!

Overall, that sounded like a great ride. I was going to mention that with the latest (or maybe 2 versions back) of Google Maps now has the elevation graph when looking up biking directions.

hmm, can't seem to get that working. It is supposed to be available in Canada so that can't be it.. will keep trying.

Reported to google,
And on the plus side  my friend says this bridge has 'only' been out since the 2013 flood, I thought by how much the bridge had moved from the path of the river, that it must've been the bigger 2005 flood. So google isn't as out of date as I thought.

jordanread

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »

I tried my toddlers kiddie pool, and left them out in the sun all day yesterday, they are still pretty dirty, but I don't think they smell as much!

If smell is a consistent issue, I've had great luck with my Vibrams, my scuba gear, and camping stuff by using MiraZyme. A bit pricey for how much you get, but it's really concentrated. I'll look at the actual amounts when I get home. I've had that exact bottle for about 4 months, and it's still more than half full.

hmm, can't seem to get that working. It is supposed to be available in Canada so that can't be it.. will keep trying.

They might not have the data. Try it from a desktop, and see if it shows up. You can also run a test search from your mobile device. Look for directions between
1605 E Pikes Peak Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80910
and
5550 E Woodmen Rd, Colorado Springs, CO 80920

I can confirm that the data is there. If it doesn't show up, you might need to try forcing an update. If it does, might just be the missing data.

TrMama

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »

Here is what happened:

Yikes, close call. I always like to call out, "On your left!" as I pass another cyclist to help avoid this kind of thing. Especially the ones weaving like drunks ;-)

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 10:44:37 AM »
Holy moley and wtf!? Somehow being on vacation last week and eating gluttonously from the bakery down the street from our cabin was insufficient to make up for a higher level of biking. I decided to step on the scale this morning. This is a very rare occurrence for me, as in I can count the number of times I have done so this year on one hand. 175 lbs!?! Before biking I was something in the 190-195 range, then I thought I was holding pretty steady around 180-185. I am wasting away... (I am 6'3").

jordanread

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
Holy moley and wtf!? Somehow being on vacation last week and eating gluttonously from the bakery down the street from our cabin was insufficient to make up for a higher level of biking. I decided to step on the scale this morning. This is a very rare occurrence for me, as in I can count the number of times I have done so this year on one hand. 175 lbs!?! Before biking I was something in the 190-195 range, then I thought I was holding pretty steady around 180-185. I am wasting away... (I am 6'3").

Way to go!! Gotta love all of the other benefits of biking that have a tendency to sneak up on you.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »

I usually just hose them off while they're still on my feet, but you can wash them however you want (including washing machine, so long as you throw a towel or something in there to keep it all from banging around too much). Just never put them in the dryer or near any other heat source.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 08:17:54 AM »
Any of you obsessively time your routes? I stopped doing this for a while because it was adding stress, but part of me is thinking of getting back into it to make sure I'm still making training progress.

Then again, nearly all of the time during the week I'm in "pack mule" mode (kids and gear) and I'm lucky if I break 10mph....

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 08:47:38 AM »
When I was racing I did the obsessive heart rate / powermeter thing. Now I time myself only such that I know how long it takes me to get places, and I hardly do that anymore now that I have a pretty good idea.

If all you have is a stopwatch, you have to mitigate variables such as wind, elevation change, how tired you are from other things, etc. If you want to track progress I suggest finding a long uninterrupted uphill section and timing yourself on that, then come back to that same spot every month or two on a day that you're feeling good (or at the start of each training cycle if you're doing those). Don't bother too much with timing outside of that, it's a pretty inaccurate measure of how hard you're working and can really mess with your head.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 04:50:39 PM »
If you want to track progress I suggest finding a long uninterrupted uphill section and timing yourself on that, then come back to that same spot every month or two on a day that you're feeling good (or at the start of each training cycle if you're doing those). Don't bother too much with timing outside of that, it's a pretty inaccurate measure of how hard you're working and can really mess with your head.

Really good advice, thanks! There's two doozies of a hill nearby, one of which is pretty free of vehicle traffic. I also frequently bike down a 3-4 mile section of uninterrupted trail with a steady uphill grade punctuated by one quite steep climb.

jordanread

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
When I was racing I did the obsessive heart rate / powermeter thing. Now I time myself only such that I know how long it takes me to get places, and I hardly do that anymore now that I have a pretty good idea.

If all you have is a stopwatch, you have to mitigate variables such as wind, elevation change, how tired you are from other things, etc. If you want to track progress I suggest finding a long uninterrupted uphill section and timing yourself on that, then come back to that same spot every month or two on a day that you're feeling good (or at the start of each training cycle if you're doing those). Don't bother too much with timing outside of that, it's a pretty inaccurate measure of how hard you're working and can really mess with your head.

Speaking of...I noticed you don't have a sheet this month. I was wondering why I already hit the average while slacking off the first couple of weeks. :-) You gonna log your miles?

Also, whoever is adding the filter/sort functionality, that (for this month) breaks any new users. Feel free to select and sort, but let's avoid the filter box for now. I have a fix for next month, so we'll get that back.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
maybe eventually... I'm less motivated now that I have to add my sheet again every month

jordanread

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
maybe eventually... I'm less motivated now that I have to add my sheet again every month

You mean like before when it was already there at the beginning of the month? If so, I'm building in a persist option starting next month, so you'll be added every month thereafter. In the meantime, I will just feel inferior and keep trying to match what I imagine your miles are. I added you for this month so you don't have to, just in case. Right now, I'm kicking your ass. Muahahahaha. :-)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »
Sure, you just HAD to rope Russ in, didn't you? There goes my shot at being #1 for the first time... lol

jordanread

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
Sure, you just HAD to rope Russ in, didn't you? There goes my shot at being #1 for the first time... lol

Yup, I did. You don't have enough miles to make me miss the average, and what fun is it if we don't have some over-achieving person making everyone else look bad? Granted, I still think you should be allowed to log some of the carrying miles for the goblins...I saw you are tracking them on your sheet, but I haven't figured out a good way to adjust for load. I am working on it though...:P

I use Russ to punish myself and provide face punches when I forget. On the plus side, he hasn't updated yet, so screen shots could be something that you can frame on your fridge. I know I am. :-D

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
No, the goblin miles is for what they bike under their own power. I was curious about their badassity relative to the adult community. Same for the Alchemist. She'll never sign up here but I figured I'd at least share her badassity as well.

I actually stopped tracking carrying miles but certainly could if you wanted me to.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »

you still have me by .3 miles

jordanread

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »

you still have me by .3 miles

It's not too late for a screenshot!! Hurry!!!

jordanread

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »
Holy crap!! Even with Russ, I'm above average. Oh yes, I'm feeling good!!!

usmarine1975

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 06:05:23 AM »
You guys crack me up your fighting over the top position at over 300 miles on your bike this month so far and I will be elated that I am breaking 100 miles in a month.  I do have a ways to go.