Author Topic: One thing in, two things out  (Read 2248 times)

The Zennonite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
One thing in, two things out
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
I'm at a place in my life where I have too much stuff. In general I've become very judicious and picky about allowing any new thing to enter my life. But it still happens.

My goal and practice for the next year: for every new thing I allow to come into my life as a possession, I'll get rid of two similar things. And by "thing" I mean tangible personal property items (shoes, cars, pens, etc.), not commodities (like gasoline, milk, wine, etc.), or money. So, if I get a new sweater, two sweaters (or a sweater and a fleece) are going bye-bye -- to Goodwill or elsewhere, not a landfill.

Not going to be real legalistic about it, but I'm hoping the practice will make me more mindful of consumption, and stuff in general, and that it will make it easier to downsize housing when the time comes for that. We'll see how it goes.

toodleoo

• Stubble
Re: One thing in, two things out
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:05:26 PM »
I've had to start doing this with my clothes...I have way too many. It's a pain just to keep them all clean and organized!

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:32:52 AM »
I have so much junk accumulated, that in my case the mantra should be "one box in, two boxes out."!

Of course, I would exempt from the purging my book collection and my collection of horse figures.  :D

After all, my whole point in collecting them is to... collect them.  :O

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:37:57 AM »
I want to do this too. I am going to look through my wardrobe again today to see if I can do some paring down. I seem to wear the same ten outfits over and over.

Nancy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »
Great idea! I don't buy stuff (other than bike needs like lights, tubes, tires), but this will be useful when I receive gifts. Perhaps it'll force me to donate the gift right away instead of letting it languish in my apartment.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!