Author Topic: AUG 2016 - find a way to bring in or save an extra $50 to $500  (Read 4784 times)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
I saw the low-spend in August challenge, but it doesn't really fit with my current outlook on my budget. I don't really want to squeeze my budget any more, but I'd still like to either save or earn a minimum of $50 bucks extra in those 31 days.
So let's slay the dragon together!:)

Challenge: Do something new and cool and post your results at the end of the month.
Find a way to shave $50 off a bill - do ten things that save you $5 each - hunt down a new side gig or expand on an existing hobby.
If you can't come up with anything - consider making or selling something, but do try to come up with something new that you haven't done before.
No matter what you come across - if you happen to see a ten dollar coupon on something good, share it with us, so we can all benefit and bask in the glow of some extra savings and earnings in August.

My plan: Try out a different angle on one of my side gigs - Amazon MTurk. I finally hit $300 a month, but want to do better. This will not be easy for me, but I'd like to try it just for one month. (I started turking about 3 months ago, but want to experiment with doing batches.) So my plan is to set aside a couple of extra hours here and there to bring in an extra $50 in August - just doing batches. (not counting any other turking I do). I will try to practice and improve my skills in July - so that in August I will be set to go.

My emphasis here is on something that is doable, hopefully a bit of fun too - so let's slay the dragon together!

My goal is a min of $50 - that is an attainable goal - I think:) - we'll see. Pick a minimum goal that is attainable for you and go for it!
Are you in?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:00:10 PM by Rosy »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: AUG 2016 - find a way to bring in or save an extra $50 to $500
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »
I'm going to Chase this coming Saturday to open up a checking account and a savings account.  I'll get $500 total that will probably post in August.

Here is an article describing the requirements: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-500-checking-savings-bonus-publicly-available/

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
I'm in! I didn't participate in the other thread because it required the use of a budget, and I'm in the 'don't use a budget' camp.

My goal is to save an extra $500 or more this month by the following methods:

1. Eliminate virtually all restaurant spending, as per my 'stop eating at effin' restaurants so much 2016' thread.
2. Make sure I'm using up the food I have at home before I hit the grocery store to get more.

(I originally had 'sell stuff' as a #4, but there are things I could sell this month that would meet the 500-buck requirement all by themselves. So that's going to be a bonus category. And 'eliminate remaining unnecessary car trips' was removed because even if I made one unnecessary trip per day, my high-mpg low-maintenance car would mean I'd only save about $10 over the course of the month!)

Let's get this party started!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:42:27 PM by SoccerLounge »

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »
Killing the little incidental "monthly add on charges" is one of my passions... 

Debit cards are the worst.   Vendors constantly "round up" to next dollar or $10 increment and drives me crazy.   Called out one restaurant that granted themselves a 20% tip on top of the tip I'd paid them.   $10 back.    Buyer beware!   

We have the most basic cable TV package and Comcast pirates...   They recently decided to increase the cost of each home cable box a buck a month.    Took the 2nd room's box back to them that we almost never used and told them politely where to put the $4 per month charge.    Saves $48 per year plus over 15% tax rate applied to the darn "monthly fees" so all in so call it $5 per month.

Home security/fire monitoring service has an "internet access" option we were paying for.    Removed that to the tune of $91 per year saved.   

That's $150 just for this week.    The struggle against monthly revenue leakage continues!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
I have been thinking about this one - I mean, bringing in more $ as compared to just reducing spending. 
I am up for this challenge, though I am not sure what I will do for that $50!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »
I can sell some stuff to bring in extra money. This will give me extra motivation to get some projects finished, listed and sold.

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
I've been selling stuff in my garage on Craigslist and OfferUP.  I will be bringing in $65 this week for two different items.  I need to work on posting more items.  It feels great getting rid of it all! :) There's not any profit on the items I'm selling but I will treasure the space!

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
I recently started making beehives, for some bees I got. Maybe I can sell some. They are ridiculously overpriced if you buy commercially.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »
This idea of a $50 increase in the month has been percolating in the background of my mind since reading the OP.
Most of the things I've thought of are time consuming, require $ upfront for supplies, etc. (I'm not particularly entrepreneurial and I recently moved and already sold everything I could.)

However, I just realized that I could sell one gift certificate this month and it would be the $50 easily, with supplies I already have, and in relation to something I already do.

Now to let my mind percolate on how to sell some gift certificates this month!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »
I'm going to Chase this coming Saturday to open up a checking account and a savings account.  I'll get $500 total that will probably post in August.

Here is an article describing the requirements: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-500-checking-savings-bonus-publicly-available/

YAY - Congrats! Me too:) doing it on Thursday this week - they've been targeting me for the bank accounts for months (by mail), probably because I have two Chase cards. Up to now, I was never comfortable giving up that much cash, but I'm finally there, so I am doing it - $500 FREE MONEY - well, minus the tax, but oh so worth it!

By the way, I discovered they have accounts for military too with a few perks. So I might possibly actually take them on as my new bank.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 07:14:31 PM »
1. Good things have been happening - just got another sale from my online photo gallery website - $36 for a print. I really should take out some time to update the lot. Who knows, I might sell another two or three by August:)
What I would really love is some software - maybe I will spend a little extra to get what I want. It will make a difference and I do love my photography.

2. Progress: I found another way to increase my earnings at MTurk, which is great. This could lead to an extra $10 a week. Meanwhile, I've made very little progress on my original intent of doing batches, everything I touched fell apart, didn't work out or I really didn't want to do it.
So - back to square one - I'll figure it out.

So I think I will stick with my original thought of finding small amounts/actions that will add up to $50.

This idea of a $50 increase in the month has been percolating in the background of my mind since reading the OP.
Most of the things I've thought of are time consuming, require $ upfront for supplies, etc. (I'm not particularly entrepreneurial and I recently moved and already sold everything I could.)

However, I just realized that I could sell one gift certificate this month and it would be the $50 easily, with supplies I already have, and in relation to something I already do.

Percolate - percolate @annieme - it is amazing how our minds work, once triggered and left alone - they find all sorts of solutions for us.

I'll be back with new ideas - strategies or insights as I come up with them. An extra twelve bucks a week is all I need to make at MTurk to get to an extra $50 or is there another way???

Great going guys - we will slay that dragon in August ...

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
1. Good things have been happening - just got another sale from my online photo gallery website - $36 for a print. I really should take out some time to update the lot. Who knows, I might sell another two or three by August:)
What I would really love is some software - maybe I will spend a little extra to get what I want. It will make a difference and I do love my photography.

2. Progress: I found another way to increase my earnings at MTurk, which is great. This could lead to an extra $10 a week. Meanwhile, I've made very little progress on my original intent of doing batches, everything I touched fell apart, didn't work out or I really didn't want to do it.
So - back to square one - I'll figure it out.

So I think I will stick with my original thought of finding small amounts/actions that will add up to $50.

Percolate - percolate @annieme - it is amazing how our minds work, once triggered and left alone - they find all sorts of solutions for us.

I'll be back with new ideas - strategies or insights as I come up with them. An extra twelve bucks a week is all I need to make at MTurk to get to an extra $50 or is there another way???

Great going guys - we will slay that dragon in August ...

Just curious about your online photo gallery website? Can you share the link?

texastumbleweed

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 07:39:39 PM »
Curious about "turking."  That sounds awesome, but I looked at the site and most jobs are for pennies.  How on how much time do you have to put in to get $300 a month?

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 08:20:43 PM »
I have met the goal already! I realized that a couple of options on my car insurance were set to higher-than-necessary settings for my current state of residence. When I readjusted them, I'd saved about $100.

Still working though! The hustle for the rest of the month: sell a guitar, and do the stuff I said above re: eating.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 09:53:13 PM »
I'm in :) Gotta attack that pile of unwanted things to sell.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 10:48:43 PM »
Sold that gift certificate, so made the $60.  :)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »
Selling a few items on Craigslist + a mailer for $300 bonus for opening a Chase checking account (opening account on Wednesday)! I'll try to get to $500, but the Chase account will not post before the end of August I think!

mynewchoice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »
I'm in for this one.  This month we just got started with using FB garage sale groups and we have sold a car, bookshelf stereo and some clothing items and I expect to be listing more stuff throughout August (and likely more months to come).  We also had called Comcast and received a promotional rate on our internet that is saving us about $40/month, and in August I will be calling to cancel my Sirius subscription as I can use free options to stream in the car during my commute (one of the most anti-mustachian things in my life, the commute that is).

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
Curious about "turking."  That sounds awesome, but I looked at the site and most jobs are for pennies.  How on how much time do you have to put in to get $300 a month?

Usually about 4 hours in the morning - sometimes another 2 hrs spread throughout the day or evening. It varies, all I did today was 2 hrs spread throughout the day (I was busy with other things and I am still sick) made $10, nothing to write home about, but it's ten bucks that will be paid and transferred to my bank account by the end of the week:)
Snagged a $5 survey that took me 16 minutes to complete - that translates to almost $20 an hour, so I got lucky:)

I like the surveys, testing apps and doing foreign language hits. The penny hits/jobs you saw, are always there by the thousands, so somebody does them. A lot of successful turkers use scripts to speed up completing 5 - 12 cent hits to arrive at $6 to $15 an hour payment. Some people do well with transcription...
MTurk is intimidating and uber competitive with a considerable learning curve - a lot is about your speed, coding skills (I have none) and treating it as a real job.

I turk primarily M-F and since I am on EST time - getting up early means less competition for some of the European studies.

Mechanical Turk is one of those places that can be easy beer money - five bucks a day is easy to do or you can treat it like a job and consistently make over $1000 a month. I'm a casual turker, hoping to get to $500 a month, but I'll be fine with $300 for now. I'm still learning my way around the site. Turking is not for everyone, it is harder than it looks.

Anyway, to get back to my actual challenge - it is August and I've been sick with a bad case of shingles.
Good News:
 I did super well in July - $350 at Mechanical Turk.
Bad News:
Practically nothing in August. Around $70 so far from the occasional 30 minutes to an hour of turking. Hopefully I will feel better in another week or two.

However, as luck would have it - our cell phone bill dropped by $43 (permanently-paid off phones) and I got a $10 coupon off a dinner at our favorite sports bar/restaurant. So technically - challenge of $50 - met successfully.

Right now I am still feeling too sick to be motivated to do more - but there is still plenty of time left in August to let ideas percolate.
Oh, but now that I think about it - I did manage to hunt down the perfect set of ueber comfortable black leather office chairs - lumbar support and all that.
The lady at Ofc Depot tipped me off, there would be a sale when I went there for ink (they were only ten bucks off originally)- saved $80 each plus found a coupon on line for another $20.
Total savings $180, plus extra points on my cc and the in store rewards card. Not bad. 

So how goes it in August? - Are you meeting or exceeding that extra $50 bucks?:)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »
I recently started making beehives, for some bees I got. Maybe I can sell some. They are ridiculously overpriced if you buy commercially.

You certainly get the price for the most innovative way to come up with an extra fifty bucks this month!:)

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
This thread helped me out in a very specific way.

I wanted to make more $ without raising my rates. 
I had appointments available for one hour and 1.5 hrs. 
By changing all my appts to 1.5 hrs, with no option for 1 hr, I narrowed down my work hours and make more money per month.

Awesome.

Thanks!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 08:53:26 PM »
Sadly, I've pulled off the $500 extra a month for the entire fall semester by taking on an overload class I swore I wouldn't take. Hating every second of it, too. Going to tell boss not to bother asking next semester, then I'm saying no even when she lays on the guilt. (Again). Dammit. I'd have time to do the rest of my job reasonably well absent this, and my cucumbers would not have died for lack of water this week. And we would not have eaten store-boughten pizza for supper three nights in two weeks,and McDonald's another night.

Time > money.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 05:58:20 AM »
@Rural,  Ugh!   The old "influence" game of a boss using Jedi mind tricks to ask sweetly to take on something else with some vague promise of reward in the future.   Take back an hour or more each day back by being an absolute b@st@rd about the small favors for people ask of you that consume time.   After having this done to me, I'm merciless now about "meetings for the sake of meetings" and other petty stuff that people used to ask for...   Tell your boss you're going to get tough on the petty stuff since he/she loaded you up.  If boss won't support you on prioritizing to balance your life/work time again, then he/she is a bad manager and look elsewhere FAST.   Good luck!!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 06:30:07 AM »
@Rural,  Ugh!   The old "influence" game of a boss using Jedi mind tricks to ask sweetly to take on something else with some vague promise of reward in the future.   Take back an hour or more each day back by being an absolute b@st@rd about the small favors for people ask of you that consume time.   After having this done to me, I'm merciless now about "meetings for the sake of meetings" and other petty stuff that people used to ask for...   Tell your boss you're going to get tough on the petty stuff since he/she loaded you up.  If boss won't support you on prioritizing to balance your life/work time again, then he/she is a bad manager and look elsewhere FAST.   Good luck!!

Oh, there will be no looking elsewhere; I have tenure now. On the other hand, the chair doesn't have to support my prioritizing for me to make it happen and can't force me to take on any more extra - I have tenure now. And it's not a vague future reward, it's $500 a month, cash on the barrelhead. So it could so be worse, and I know it.

But I've never before had the experience of not wanting to teach a class, not wanting to go into that room and meet those students on a day-to-day basis, and I've been doing this for decades. I need to find a way to change my thinking about it until December, for my sake and my students', and I need to remember this experience down the road; I've hit the limits of what's acceptable before (see last fall), but this is past that. No more.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »
I brought in an extra $300 this month by selling some of my "stuff". Wanted to get to the $500, but kind of ran out of steam.