Author Topic: Asking for a 60% raise tomorrow  (Read 4034 times)

typisk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Asking for a 60% raise tomorrow
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
I'm a 24 years old software developer, digital nomad, that works for a scandinavian company located in Brazil. I've worked here for four months on a trial contract and tomorrow I have a review with my boss for the possibility for a permanent contract. I've stayed at the company main office for whole my period where I agreed on a salary reduction at 20% to $60K/year. In a few weeks time I'll head off from Brazil to travel slowly around the world while working and building my stash.

In this short time I've proved myself as a very high performer for the owners and my contribution is well noticed with loads of positive feedback. We're building a product which has a release next summer and they need all the manpower possible. I feel my negotiation position is very strong and I can ask for a very high raise which may set me maybe a bit higher than comparable boring office job in Scandinavia.

Tomorrow I'll ask for a 60% raise - total salary of $95K/year. For me this is possible because I have saved up stash to keep going for many years without working, which is more extended since I live in low-cost countries. If the salary raise fails, I will instead kickstart my plans of being an entrepreneur and building my own company.

For me this seems like a WIN-WIN and would not be possible if I had no stash.

Thanks Mr. Money Mustache!

Blueskies123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Asking for a 60% raise tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
Your fired

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
Psh....60%, go for 100% raise.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »
Good luck!  How did you come up with this figure?  Going into the review and having data to back-up your number will give you more leverage and not come off as taking advantage of the situation.  I would do some market research on see how much others are making in your field with similar experience level.  Give it some thought as you don't want to burn any bridges right now, you might need them as a reference. 

ejk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
Context: I work in software and have a number of developer friends employed in Seattle, as well as a "digital nomad" friend who develops remotely.

I don't know the specifics of the Brazil software market, but 95k doesn't even make me bat an eye for a software developer these days. At a good company competing for talent, that's pretty normal. Hope to hear this raise works out for you.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
How did it go?

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
Context: I work in software and have a number of developer friends employed in Seattle, as well as a "digital nomad" friend who develops remotely.

I don't know the specifics of the Brazil software market, but 95k doesn't even make me bat an eye for a software developer these days. At a good company competing for talent, that's pretty normal. Hope to hear this raise works out for you.

Yes, I second this. Amazon is signing 22 year old new CS grads with $15k signing and $110k base.

Where are you all located in that you make that much or industry pays that much?

I was in the industry almost 10 years, and didn't hit the OP's current salary.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 08:03:43 AM »
what happened? Let us know when you hear back.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!