Author Topic: Art-tober  (Read 17453 times)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
Re: Art-tober
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
This is the first fabric post card I've made. Learned a few things I will do differently next time. I'm going to line the balloon on the back with black ink before I send it out.

I can't figure out how to make the images smaller :/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:16:24 PM by sparkytheop »

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2016, 07:08:13 AM »
That looks so cool! I am impressed.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2016, 07:12:55 AM »
Wow! I've never heard of fabric postcards before, but that looks really cool!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2016, 08:31:01 PM »
Thanks :)  I had never heard of them before either, but I joined a quilting board a friend suggested, and they do a bunch of swaps.  So, I took the plunge and signed up.  The topic was "one word", and "Imagine" was a word my swap partner suggested.  It's my take on a kitten looking into a mirror and the reflection is a lion.  I tried it with a mirror, but it just wasn't working.

It's my first time using a fusible interfacing, steam-a-seam, etc.  It had to have some sewing and/or quilting, as well as a finished edge.  I had the fabric on hand, but had to buy the ribbon and gold thread (50% off coupons for both).  I'll be mailing it in a clear envelope :) 

I think I'll do more swaps and make some to mail to family.  It was fun, and nice to be creative on a small scale project.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 05:29:06 AM »
I almost forgot last night, but I worked on my blanket for about 15 minutes while Husband brushed his teeth. I think I'm about 1/3 of the way through this skein.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2016, 02:37:21 PM »
He brushed his teeth for 15 minutes? Should we be worried for his enamel?

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
He brushed his teeth for 15 minutes? Should we be worried for his enamel?

Lol, no, he SAID he was going in, so I started and figured i'd do 5 minutes. Only he dilly-dallied a bit and didn't go in right away, and by the time he did go in and get done, it had been 12 minutes, so I figured i'd go for an even 15 and just kept going for three extra minutes while he went to bed.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
I painted over a large board that held a previous painting and created a new, better loved piece for my living room this week.  I also have 6 small landscapes in process, framed two word and watercolor pieces and have 4 fall-themed grain pieces waiting for frames :)

It was a very productive week!

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »
I painted over a large board that held a previous painting and created a new, better loved piece for my living room this week.  I also have 6 small landscapes in process, framed two word and watercolor pieces and have 4 fall-themed grain pieces waiting for frames :)

Nice! I hope your first craft show goes well!

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2016, 12:28:55 PM »

Congratulations!  I hope we get to see the finished paintings, if you feel comfortable sharing. :)

----

Week 2 went well.  I finished my drawing, as well as the wall art(string art, so fun!).  I also worked on a couple more drawings, and painted a sign for my art booth for last Saturday.  The sign even got a few compliments!  And I knitted a little bookmark for fun, and crocheted a baby hat to sell.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
Bump! I've been inconsistent, but I'm trying lots of art things. Latest was a comic. I have a knitted bunny I'm never going to work out how to finish, but if I unravel it I can crochet it and finish quite quickly. Bonus, I can do it while enjoying the sunshine outside today.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
Today I'm working on making a Scottie Dog mini-quilt for a secret santa swap.  I hope I have enough time to get it hand pieced and quilted!  I took saw a photo of her white mini-schnauzer, and a scottie dog is similar enough to pass.  And the color of the scarf will closely match the one in her photo.  She's also a quilter, so I know she'll appreciate what went into the project.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2016, 01:00:07 PM »
I have not managed art every day.
:( Boo.
But October isn't finished yet. And I want to clean up the rest of the month with a bang!

So this is me recommitting. :) Let's knock the last week out of the park, guys! Let's make cool things. <3 Or at least make.

Da Oro Plan:
Today: layout planning for a piece
Sat & Sunday: Inks and finalizing details
Monday-Thursday: Colors and details
Friday: FREE SKETCH TIME
Saturday-Monday: ?????
Tuesday: NOVEMBER, HOLY BUTTS.

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2016, 01:04:01 PM »
Great idea!! Too bad it is the third week of october already... but I'm always looking for ways to be more creative. Right now I'm working on my halloween costume, so that has to count for something, right??

I have a good friend whose mission is to spread creativity and get people to do something creative everyday. Here's her website if any of you are interested: http://stephaniemedford.com/

Lots of ideas for projects such as map-making (collage), print making, drawing, etc.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »
Bump! I've been inconsistent, but I'm trying lots of art things. Latest was a comic. I have a knitted bunny I'm never going to work out how to finish, but if I unravel it I can crochet it and finish quite quickly. Bonus, I can do it while enjoying the sunshine outside today.
I unraveled it, and even started crocheting it. The yarn is knobbly so I can't actually tell where my stitches are! It might be done by spiral instead of in the round just to make it work...

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2016, 10:15:13 PM »
Some recent ones...My large painting in my living room is  a 2x3 panel in black with black and white birch trees on it.  I don't have a pic of it yet!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2016, 02:36:13 AM »
I finished a piece I started a week or so ago last night, then, this afternoon, I was doing some painting with my toddler (we were doing seperate works)
Not so sure on the first one, a starry night type that was based off a hubble photo.
Second one was inspired by a youtube tutorial video, and I'm 50/50 on whether to say it's finished, or whether I can tweak it some more. But good learning none-the-less.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
Really nice work alewpanda and Flyingkea.

I did nothing for a week and a half when I was away on a trip without a laptop, so now I'm catching up. Fortunately I gave myself an easy challenge so that isn't too much of a problem!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2016, 07:39:43 AM »
Question time! Crowdsourcing your thoughts on the creative direction of my photo processing, because I cannot decide. Your input is much appreciated. There is no right or wrong answer.

Do you prefer the original composition or the cropped version? Any particular reason? Or are they both the same to you?

Side-by-side:

Original framing:

Cropped:

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »
The full version, because my eye is drawn to the taller darker mountain as the focal point. I feel the cropping pushes the eye towards the branch, but there's nothing interesting on it (that i can see) and it feels forced.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »
I like the full version too. :)
Something about having the mountain and its reflection bisected on the right side feels... squished when cropped. Widder frame gives a lot more breathing room.
Beautiful photo!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2016, 08:14:10 AM »
Whoa, you people are quick! Thanks so much! I also like the spacious feel of the original, but was wondering if the cut-off raft on the right is distracting, so I cropped the bottom, but also the right side to keep the picture dimensions. But I could really just crop it on the bottom and not the right, and not worry about keeping the dimensions... not sure if that's better than the original, though, still, because maybe the cut-off raft does actually add something positive to the photo... waffle waffle. As you can see, I am yet to develop a confident photographic eye. :p

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »
Another vote for the original.  It looks awesome!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »
In the original, my eye is drawn away from the people and to the upper right.  In the cropped photo, my eye leads to the people.  However, I like it best when I scroll down on the cropped photo to the point where the branches coming down in the center of the photo are just cropped out.  Less white space that way, and the docks pull you in instead of the sky pulling you out.  That would bring your dimensions similar to what you want as well.

Just depends on what you want to be the focus.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
This is my project for the weekend...  I'm hand piecing/quilting a mini quilt for a Christmas gift.  Fortunately, it's going faster than I thought it would, have all the rows pieced, now just need to piece them together.  It's my first pieced block, so, while there are some minor issues, I'm really happy about how it's turning out!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:43:25 PM by sparkytheop »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
Detail screencap from my current illo/WIP. ;P

Consider this an advertisement for the project I'm doing it for -> https://www.patreon.com/CC_Otherworlds

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2016, 10:07:09 PM »
Thanks for the vote, tardis! And thank you for the assessments/suggestions sparkytheop. So much potential for experimentation with different crops! This is such a great place to get critique with all you artistic people around. :D

Also, mini schnauzer quilt is adorable, and I want to pat Frank.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2016, 02:46:34 AM »
Whoa, you people are quick! Thanks so much! I also like the spacious feel of the original, but was wondering if the cut-off raft on the right is distracting, so I cropped the bottom, but also the right side to keep the picture dimensions. But I could really just crop it on the bottom and not the right, and not worry about keeping the dimensions... not sure if that's better than the original, though, still, because maybe the cut-off raft does actually add something positive to the photo... waffle waffle. As you can see, I am yet to develop a confident photographic eye. :p
I agree that the right hand mountain gives dimention. But I also think that the picture would gain something (and lose something else - that's the way of things)  from being cropped both top and bottom. Yes, you loose the more square shape. I don't think that's a bad thing, though. Because I personaly think the longer shape picks up the long-narrow shape of both a river and mountain range. My two cents.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
Thanks, Anje! After initially posting the pictures here, I tried a few more different crops, and one of them was cropping the top and bottom, and I definitely agree with you that the long shape complements the river and mountains. It's wonderful how different crops can bring out different aspects of one picture, and change the feeling of it. It can also make it difficult to choose a favourite, haha!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
You guys are all fantastic.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2016, 06:23:41 PM »
I love all y'all's work!  It's really cool to see all your different skills.

Last week wasn't as "arty" as I'd have liked.  I crocheted a couple of hats, drew a few geeky pumpkin carving templates, carved a pumpkin using one of the designs, and worked on a piece of wall art.  My schedule is a bit more free this week though, and I have a designated "art night" with a friend on Wednesday, so hopefully I'll get more done this week.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »
I'm in a photography club, and one thing we will do is each "turn in" a photo, and then the photo gets a number (if there are 15 people, 1-15).  Then each person does their own edit of each original photo.  Then we show it as a slide show.  You get to see 15 (or so) interpretations of every photo.  Some all end up very similar, and some are very, very different.  You have free range editing the photo-- cropping, using filters, photoshop, anything.

One photo someone sent was a not-so great photo of dandelions.  I have Elements that has a "puzzle" filter.  I turned it into a puzzle and then moved some pieces out as if it was a puzzle in the process of being put together.  One guy turned a mushroom into a duck.  It's a lot of fun to see what people will do with the same photo, as sometimes we have completely different creative styles (some are very true to nature and how it would look to the eye, some are very into getting rid of "imperfections", and some just really like to play and make it abstract).

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2016, 06:34:48 PM »
I got my block all pieced.  I started on Thursday, pressing and cutting fabric.  It all went so much faster than I thought it would, and I'm less timid about taking on a queen sized quilt now (I was afraid it would take forever to piece one).  Will quilt it this week, then need to finish up my two baby quilts.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2016, 11:19:15 PM »
Belated chiming in for the cropped version!
Fewer distractions, and gives more emphasis on what is there.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:41 AM »
I'm in a photography club, and one thing we will do is each "turn in" a photo, and then the photo gets a number (if there are 15 people, 1-15).  Then each person does their own edit of each original photo.  Then we show it as a slide show.  You get to see 15 (or so) interpretations of every photo.  Some all end up very similar, and some are very, very different.  You have free range editing the photo-- cropping, using filters, photoshop, anything.

One photo someone sent was a not-so great photo of dandelions.  I have Elements that has a "puzzle" filter.  I turned it into a puzzle and then moved some pieces out as if it was a puzzle in the process of being put together.  One guy turned a mushroom into a duck.  It's a lot of fun to see what people will do with the same photo, as sometimes we have completely different creative styles (some are very true to nature and how it would look to the eye, some are very into getting rid of "imperfections", and some just really like to play and make it abstract).

That sounds so cool and interesting and fun!

My partner used to be quite active in an online community where people would post photos and other members would provide commentary and vote to either place it in the community gallery, or not. I found it really fascinating and enjoyed reading the comments about what people liked or didn't like, how it made them feel, and what they thought would improve the photo.

I have not really participated in any photography communities myself... I was just thinking about possibly starting a thread in this forum where people can ask for opinions as I have in this thread. It's great to get different perspectives.

Thank you for your feedback! :)  Yeah, I get easily bugged by distractions... I always feel compelled to remove them if possible!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2016, 04:21:51 AM »
Funny, my goal was to do more writing projects, but I've been foing more paintings (somewhat easier with a toddler I guess.
But here are 2 more practice paintings I've done.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
i'm making limited progress and did pull out my paints so hopefully the progress will continue

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2016, 01:33:11 AM »
I recorded a rap, lyrics by Prospector. I have been somewhat lax in my creating.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2016, 07:06:58 AM »
I recorded a rap, lyrics by Prospector. I have been somewhat lax in my creating.

You failed to mention that it was brilliant. Let me mention that for you.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »

You failed to mention that it was brilliant. Let me mention that for you.
Even better than that; it was fun to do, and that's the most important thing.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:21 PM »
Hand painted 4 cards today and worked on 3 in progress pieces.  Hoping to finish all three tomorrow :)

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2016, 10:06:38 AM »

That sounds so cool and interesting and fun!

My partner used to be quite active in an online community where people would post photos and other members would provide commentary and vote to either place it in the community gallery, or not. I found it really fascinating and enjoyed reading the comments about what people liked or didn't like, how it made them feel, and what they thought would improve the photo.

I have not really participated in any photography communities myself... I was just thinking about possibly starting a thread in this forum where people can ask for opinions as I have in this thread. It's great to get different perspectives.

Thank you for your feedback! :)  Yeah, I get easily bugged by distractions... I always feel compelled to remove them if possible!

I can't see the photos posted above, for some reason. But I would definitely be interested in a photography thread.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »
I can't see the photos posted above, for some reason. But I would definitely be interested in a photography thread.

I used a temporary image sharing service (uploadpie), which hosts only up to one week, so they're gone now! I'm happy to start a photography thread if there's interest. There have been photography threads on the forum before, but none with a focus (hur hur) on creative decisions. What (other) kind of discussions would you have in mind for the thread? And would you have photos to throw into the ring asking for ideas/improvements? I don't want to be the only one posting pictures in the entire thread, haha.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »
I finished the mini quilt I was working on (the dog).  Just need to make a label and it's good to go.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
I carved a cute, BB8 pumpkin last night: http://i.imgur.com/X4sCUDK.jpg 

I did several pumpkin carving templates the past two weeks.  I've been making them every year, and now I have a neat collection:  http://imgur.com/a/sv4Oy  If anyone wants to use them to carve their own pumpkin, you can print and use any of them!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
I carved a cute, BB8 pumpkin last night: http://i.imgur.com/X4sCUDK.jpg 

I did several pumpkin carving templates the past two weeks.  I've been making them every year, and now I have a neat collection:  http://imgur.com/a/sv4Oy  If anyone wants to use them to carve their own pumpkin, you can print and use any of them!

I love your BB8 pumpkin!
Also the templates are very cool. At some point the directions changed from "shave" to "gouge", which I find interesting. Most of the men I know think there's a big difference between the two actions. ;)

I carved a pumpkin, but the kids came up with the design so it is very classic. They are happy so there you go.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2016, 08:13:19 AM »

I love your BB8 pumpkin!
Also the templates are very cool. At some point the directions changed from "shave" to "gouge", which I find interesting. Most of the men I know think there's a big difference between the two actions. ;)

I carved a pumpkin, but the kids came up with the design so it is very classic. They are happy so there you go.

Thanks!  Yeah, I started off using the term "gouge", but found that it was confusing people, so I started putting "shave" instead.  I also switched up the order, so hopefully people would know to shave first, then cut out. 

Yeah, we have several classic jack o' lanterns around here too.  Kids can be really creative with pumpkin faces!

----

Here's the Stranger Things pumpkin I carved last night: http://i.imgur.com/grNdGGJ.jpg  Now my hand is very sore.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:04 AM »
Here's the Stranger Things pumpkin I carved last night: http://i.imgur.com/grNdGGJ.jpg  Now my hand is very sore.

Holy crap that's awesome. I'm not familiar with Stranger Things, but I still think it's awesome.

I have failed at my artmaking this month. Partly my schedule is all messed up (out of town two weekends, stuff going on when I was home) but partly I keep forgetting :(

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
Fantastic work with pumpkins, Toffeemama!

Okay... I've processed 31+ photos for October so I have reached my self-imposed goal and I am happy with that. Thank you for starting this thread snacky as I am lazy and wouldn't have done all this otherwise! Now if I can be bothered, maybe I will sort through them and see if I can create a collection or essay out of some of these photos.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
END OF MONTH ROUND UP, Y'ALL

Limeandpepper rocked the challenge. WOOOO! I can't wait to see what you did!

Jessa and I were less impressive but I'm betting that Jessa did more than she would have without the challenge, and I know I did. It was awesome fun and got me back into doing art and I'm officially calling that a win. It's my challenge so I get to do that.

Go us!