Author Topic: Art-tober  (Read 17457 times)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
Art-tober
« on: September 30, 2016, 09:13:55 PM »
Hello fine mustachians
I cordially welcome you to join me in a month of creativity. Develop some discipline as an artist, explore the therapeutic and meditative effects of consistently working on creative pursuits, or get your butt in gear and finish some long-abandoned project.
Grab your pencil, mouse, instrument, needles, or whatever else you use to bring a little more beauty and truth to the world. Make a plan that is sustainable for 31 days.
Vamonos!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
Re: Art-tober
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »
I am going to do one arty thing a day. Probably drawing. Minimum five minutes. It can suck, that's fine. 31 consecutive days of spending time on art.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:11:49 PM »
I will do one watercolour painting of indeterminate size every day. And it's 1st October here now, so I will attend to it immediately and take advantage of the motivation.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:07:13 AM »
I did it. Delicious cake on a pretty blue plate, and an attempt at a cat silhouette.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
I am super commitment phobic, but I started crocheting a blanket...three years ago? and it's MAYBE 1/4 done? So I'm going to drag that sucker out and start working on it.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
Are movement-based arts included? Like dance, acro, and circus arts? If so, I'm in: practice daily, and maybe make a new routine.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
I AM IN.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
YES, Clarkai!

Today I really didn't want to do this. I'd had no sleep and there was too much going on. I couldn't find my sketchbook or pencils. In the end I founf lined looseleaf paper and my kids' crappy markers. Blah. But I made myself do it, and ended up spending a really enjoyable 30 mins drawing. So worth it!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the right materials to make it even better.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »
Okay, I'll give myself the goal of processing a photo a day for October - will go through old photos and start processing those that show promise, even if they don't look that exciting straight out of the camera. I've done this before and it's yielded some interesting results - breathing new life into old pictures where I didn't see the potential before. Hopefully this thread gets updated everyday as a reminder to me to do it. :) I won't post all the photos I do for the month, but if I'm particularly satisfied with one, I might.

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 07:13:30 AM »
I'm in, starting a day late. I'm an amateur violist, and I need to get back to baking consistent with daily practicing.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »
I'm in!  15 minutes art a day, not counting knitting/crochet(I do that every day anyway).  I've got a vendor table coming up in two weeks, and I need some great stuff to display!

Melissa

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:05:56 AM »
I'm in...I am going to shoot for 30 min of crocheting each evening. If I do this I should be able to finish 2 large lap blankets

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »
Grumpily forced myself to sketch last night before bed, even though I didn't want to. Got nothing good out of it, but am happy because today I know what ideas not to even bother with. \o/
Onwards and upwards.

(PS thanks for doing this, Snacky! Good kick in the pants, it is.)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »
I'm doing Inktober this year, one or more ink sketches a day for the month of October, so I guess that qualifies as Artober.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Great idea!  I'm in!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »
Day 2 complete. This time I used pencils instead of markers and was much happier with the results. Still on lined paper, though. :/

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »
I slacked off a little last night, 'cos I read really late, and Husband wanted me to come to bed. But I was like...can't fail on day 1....so I did like, 2 minutes of crochet. But I did 45 tonight, so on average I'm killing it.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
I finished a painting!  Also did a couple sketches for Inktober so far. 

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 12:33:54 PM »
Joining in! I saw this thread mentioned on another thread and I just happened to start some online painting/drawing classes on October 1. I've always had a penchant for art, but I became a scientist instead. Because of the way my degrees were structured and the competitiveness of my field, I couldn't take art classes in university and did not make time for them in my modest spare time. I just started an online 30-day sketching/painting challenge and I'm loving it! You are supposed to do 1 6-minute lesson per day but I've already completed several. I will continue to draw/paint something every day for the rest of the month. 

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
Joining in! I saw this thread mentioned on another thread and I just happened to start some online painting/drawing classes on October 1. I've always had a penchant for art, but I became a scientist instead. Because of the way my degrees were structured and the competitiveness of my field, I couldn't take art classes in university and did not make time for them in my modest spare time. I just started an online 30-day sketching/painting challenge and I'm loving it! You are supposed to do 1 6-minute lesson per day but I've already completed several. I will continue to draw/paint something every day for the rest of the month.

Would you mind linking to the course? I'm curious.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »
Snacky: I discovered this site over the weekend in a roundabout way, first by looking for some online drawing inspiration and discovering Jennifer Orkin Lewis:

https://www.creativebug.com/classes

The class I'm taking is: Daily Painting Challenge: 30 things to paint with August Wren

But there a lots of sketching and drawing classes. You can get a free trial membership for two weeks.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
I'm in!  I'm going to mimic Oro and say 5 minutes minimum of sketching a night (got another possum painting planned!) and same for sewing, even if it's only unpicking.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
My goal is to finish the paintings I have planned for my first EVER craft show table on November 5th.  I have about 10 canvases that are currently blank.  (various sizes) I can definitely finish them all if I am consistent and paint nightly (not counting Sundays.  Those days are packed...)  By my starter pricing (read -- low, but good enough to cover hobby paintings), those added to my current stock will give me around 700.00 in stock to bring with me.  The event could bring in close to 500 people...so hopefully the art practice and supply and art show will all be wins in the end ;)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »
I switch between quilting, sewing, and crochet.  Today was the quilting group at the Senior Center (who knew you could have so much fun at a Senior Center in your 30s, lol!  Well, other than the fact that they have a gun range there too...)

I taught myself to crochet some granny squares, so I'm doing four of each style in various colors of cotton yarn.  I work on those while watching tv.

I have a quilt ready to bind, one to quilt on the hoop (I hand quilt), and another ready to cut out.  I'll find something to sew next week, maybe another shirt?  And I have a fabric postcard I need to make and send to someone.  I did one Saturday night/Sunday morning, and, while I really like the idea, I didn't like my execution (first time making one).  I'll work on that again soon too.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »
Snacky: I discovered this site over the weekend in a roundabout way, first by looking for some online drawing inspiration and discovering Jennifer Orkin Lewis:

https://www.creativebug.com/classes

The class I'm taking is: Daily Painting Challenge: 30 things to paint with August Wren

But there a lots of sketching and drawing classes. You can get a free trial membership for two weeks.

Online art classes have changed my life for the better, but  I have to watch my spending on them.  Craftsy can be good value, but only buy on sale.  Skillshare has quite a bit of content, but the production value really varies.  Sketchbook Skool is a great concept with weekly artist coaches for 6 weeks, but at $99/"semester" it is spendy.  ArtistNetwork TV is one that haven't tried, but think I will next year in place of Skillshare, there are quite a few good artists that I want to learn from who have courses on there.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »
Tonight's sketching subject:

(one of my kids, from years ago. I couldn't spend an hour looking at that picture without sharing it. My take on it was acceptable, with room for improvement. It's so hard to get eyes to match!)

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 10:01:44 PM »
Adorable! Oh wow, those eyes would melt anyone's heart.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 06:38:22 AM »
Such a sweet subject you have, snacky!

I missed the last couple of days, so I made up for it today by doing four photos. The extra one is for tomorrow, as I might be otherwise occupied again then. Enjoying this gauntlet so far. Seems like I'll be getting a black-and-white China photo series out of this... or maybe a black-and-white Beijing series - we'll see, all the photos I've processed so far are Beijing ones, but I may get to the other regions later in the month...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 07:15:56 AM »
I haven't done watercolour except the first day, but I've been sure to pick something arty each day. Mostly colouring in, but today's was starting a little quilt. Doing each square will keep me nicely occupied.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
In the circus arts realm, I've been training handstands everyday, and also challenging my self to five chin ups a day for the first half of October, after which it'll increase to six. Yesterday was a class day, so one hour of training handstands, and two hours of working on aerial (meaning split tissue, rope, and static trapeze ). I'm feeling really good about my progress; I'm just getting back to it after a year break, and I'm gaining some skills I didn't get the first time around.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 07:57:25 AM »
I did a whole row of my blanket on Monday night and half a row last night.

I think i'll bring my coloring books in my travels, 'cos there's no way I can bring my crocheting with me, it'd be a whole suitcase by itself. If I color every day I'm in CA (and Chicago) that counts, right?

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »
i'm in too

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
snacky, what a handsome little subject! I'm so intimidated by drawing/painting people. I'm such a newbie. I've literally done like five drawings in my life that I seriously sat down and worked at, other than doodling for the kids. The class is helping as it takes some of the intimidation away by giving you something to focus on, but no people subjects yet.

clarcai, circus arts sounds cool!

FIRE artist, thanks for the suggestions! I can see how these classes could be addictive. I'm going to try to max out my free trial at creativebug first, plus maybe an extra month for 4.95, and then I'll check out other options. The supplies can be pricey too when you are just starting out.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
FYI -  just a note - I found out recently that our public library system has free access to https://www.lynda.com/
 and its courses.  Some pretty cool stuff on there - check with your library system.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 07:50:19 PM »
My blankie is looking mighty fine. I used my artistic sense to realise it was going to look odd unless I unstitched and rearranged the tiny triangles. I also made some little balls out of leftover flannelette, and am stitching them closed now. This challenge has made me very productive!

Once the blankie top is done, I have another one to do. I need new fabric for the back, so finishing will have to wait.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
One week check in!

How is everyone doing?

I've managed to get something done every day, even if it hasn't always been anything big or impressive. I feel good about the consistency.

Tell me about you!

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 09:39:07 AM »
I've been doing ok, doing a little training everyday, and classes. I've been doing probably about 5 to 10 minutes, but my goal is to improve that to 20 minutes every non-class day this week. I really want to get to the point where I can do street performance as an occasional side gig- which will take a lot of practicing and building of routines!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
I haven't been doing my thing consistently every day - I do more on some days to make up for those when I do none. As long as I reach my goal of 31 old photos processed for October I'll consider it a success, regardless of the pace.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
I'm like limeandpepper, I do more on some days than others. But I'm ahead of my 30 day schedule so far.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »
Not good.  :(  A dress did get done and I did a bunch of unpicking on another I messed up.  Sketching only happened one night.  I will do better next week.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »
I've crocheted 8 squares from all the skeins of yarn I have, so will need to borrow more from my mom (she has way more than she needs, so I'm helping use some of her stash!  Of course, I also bought her more sock yarn, because I love the socks she knits.)

I've gotten a few hours of quilting done the last few days. 

Yesterday and today I got the fabric to make my son a vest (his request and choice of fabric), as well as some pj pants and a robe.  Had to do a couple trips to get everything with a sale/coupon. 

Now that I have some basic crochet down, I want to try a stuffed monster.  That might have to wait a little while though, too many other items to work on right now.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
Following. This just makes me want to cry as I've not had the time or energy to be creative in a long time.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »
You guys! This is awesome! If we look at the amount of creative crap that the people have done, collectively, it's a ton! Way to go!

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »
Week 1 was a success!  I didn't get an Inktober sketch every day, but I did do a few.  Plus I finished a large illustration, a painting, taught a paint class, designed a pumpkin carving template, and finished knitting a blanket(minus the fringe).  Today, I'm going to work on a piece of wall art, and start on a drawing(not sure what yet).

I'm getting very close to a significant jump up in my art skill.  I can tell this, because I currently hate every single thing I've ever produced.  Hooray!

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 05:28:21 AM »
Well, I'm a bit late to the part, but nevermind.
I started writing a novel a while ago, and have already written 24k words. My goal for the rest of the month is spend a minimum of 5 minutes a day, building up to longer writing periods. (Suggestion of a book called 5000 words per hour). I want to get this story finished!

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
I missed four days from travelling, but I'll pick it back up tonight!

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 06:37:48 PM »
Week 1 was a success!  I didn't get an Inktober sketch every day, but I did do a few.  Plus I finished a large illustration, a painting, taught a paint class, designed a pumpkin carving template, and finished knitting a blanket(minus the fringe).  Today, I'm going to work on a piece of wall art, and start on a drawing(not sure what yet).

I'm getting very close to a significant jump up in my art skill.  I can tell this, because I currently hate every single thing I've ever produced.  Hooray!

Wow, that sounds very productive! Are you a full-time artist?

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »

Wow, that sounds very productive! Are you a full-time artist?

Sort of.  I've done art for a long time, only selling work here and there, and I'm trying to make the jump into actually making a career out of it.  I'm a homeschool mom though, so "full time" is still pretty limited for me.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:00 AM »
Got maybe a quarter of a row done last night.

Husband keeps being like "Good job remembering!" When i bring it out every night.... can you tell I've been working on this a while?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2016, 06:21:57 AM »
I have finished the quilt top, except for the second border. I will have to find a new project after that, probably back to water colours.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!