Author Topic: April ~ Weight Loss Challenge  (Read 14073 times)

skibum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: April ~ Weight Loss Challenge
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »
Wow Koshtra, great work on the pull-ups. I think I'm a way from those.

Hard day with eating yesterday - somebody brought leftover doughnuts from a meeting AND girl guide cookies. Grr.

Went to yoga though, and thought I'd share this story. On the way, I was stopped at a light and saw a woman crossing the street with a big bag of takeout containers, probably Chinese. (Started thinking about Chinese takeout, of course.) Then I looked up to see that she was eating an ice cream cone. I started laughing like a loon in my car. #DessertFirst I guess, and no sharing with whoever the takeout was for. Life goals?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »
...3 pull-ups in a row this morning. 6 weeks ago was the first time I had successfully done a pull-up in... three decades? Four?

WOW!!! That's an even bigger deal!!! (I know I can't do one. But I couldn't three or four decades ago, either, haha.)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »
...#DessertFirst I guess, and no sharing with whoever the takeout was for. Life goals?

haha, a woman after my own heart. And now I will make some paleo crumble just for me and not tell my kid :)   Thanks for the inspiration!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
Well, they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions and I have been a lazy, unmotivated bum for way too long. Posting intentions and plans without following through on my plans is clearly not the way to go.

So, I got some unplanned exercise via Physical Therapy which showed me just how out of shape I am...
Then Mr. R. and I took a looong walk on the beach, which burnt me to a crisp and made me sore for two days...
Working at spring gardening has strengthened me a bit like it always does - but right now I am a hurting puppy... my muscles are protesting.

The PLAN
PT is finally done, so I guess this is a good time to continue my homework from that.
Walk or bike each day - action-find a step counter app for my phone. Kid got the bike ready for me and it is a lovely day today.
Maybe my friend will go on a walk with me tomorrow - we'll see.

Absolutely, positively - NO SNACKS after supper. I never used to eat past supper, that is one super bad habit to get into.
Whatever sweets or snacks I crave during the day - cut in half.

Next week - look at the actual calories I am consuming - which seems to have crept up to insane levels.
Pilates CD and my new fitness board will be part of my new exercise routine - we'll see how that goes.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »
Nice job on the pull-ups! If I'm working out consistently I have been able to get up to 3 but the first one I "jump" into it and the others I don't fully extend. So they are 3 "cheating" pull-ups. Currently I can do maybe 1 on a good day.

April 3rd - 127.0 lbs
April 5th - 126.2 lbs - 32 1/2 "
April 12th - 125.2 lbs - 32 "
Goal weight - 123.0 Lbs - 31 1/2 "
1.8/4 lbs lost .5/1 inch lost

1 lb this past week :) very happy about that. 2.2 lbs to go!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
I am being more serious this month.

I have a 6 day workout routine. 6 small meals every two hours 6am to 4pm with plenty of protein and it helps prevent the bad snacking. Staying on track for drinking lots of water.

Thursdays are Highland Games training; log, kettle bell, and rock toss. Here I go!

Edit; @koshtra I struggle with pull ups too. Trying just hanging for a while, it helps. Keep a clock near by and watch the seconds.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:13:28 PM by hoping2retire35 »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »
So far so good here. I don't have a scale so I think I'll only be able to weigh in by the end of the month. However at 4 days in I averaged 1600 kcal/day and at least one hour of moderate/intense exercise :)

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 09:02:24 AM »
Daily scale fluctuations drive me nuts...I should probably only weigh in once or twice a week.  I was up 2.5 this morning! Still down from my starting point last week.  I'm not sure what happened.  I stayed within my caloric budget yesterday, although my choices weren't that great.  Less fruit & veg & whole grains, and I ate meat for the first time in a week.  At 2 meals. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »
181.5 this morning. Down from 184 on the 6th. But I think it might be a fleeting low. No worries, I'll get there for realzies eventually.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
It's probably worth testing your scales -- get on them at least a dozen times, with or without something you know weighs 1 lb, with or without something you know weighs 2 lbs -- to understand the variation in your measurements. When you pile that variation on top of your own body's variation, you're likely to see 3 lbs "play" in either direction. (Change the weights between times because a lot of scales "stick" -- tend to give you the same weight twice in a row, even if the weight changes.)

I think weighing in weekly is about the worst thing to do, unless you're looking for a huge loss, because the variance will swamp the actual loss number. If you're not going to weigh daily and take averages, it's probably better to weigh monthly. Monthly should at least tell you whether you're headed in the right direction. Weekly might tell you you're losing at a good clip when you're actually gaining, or vice versa. Which either gives you despair or false confidence --either one is great for sabotaging your resolve.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »
It's probably worth testing your scales -- get on them at least a dozen times, with or without something you know weighs 1 lb, with or without something you know weighs 2 lbs -- to understand the variation in your measurements. When you pile that variation on top of your own body's variation, you're likely to see 3 lbs "play" in either direction. (Change the weights between times because a lot of scales "stick" -- tend to give you the same weight twice in a row, even if the weight changes.)

I think weighing in weekly is about the worst thing to do, unless you're looking for a huge loss, because the variance will swamp the actual loss number. If you're not going to weigh daily and take averages, it's probably better to weigh monthly. Monthly should at least tell you whether you're headed in the right direction. Weekly might tell you you're losing at a good clip when you're actually gaining, or vice versa. Which either gives you despair or false confidence --either one is great for sabotaging your resolve.

Good points re scale and weighing frequency. Somehow I do feel like monthly is a bit too long though, as it makes me clueless about whether I'm heading in the right direction. Daily is for many people too frustrating (don't they always tell you to not step on the scale too often?!) though you are right that weekly averages will be way more accurate than once/week but it will give you a sense of direction. Personally, I like biweekly as it gives the body a little more time to get to a loss bigger than the scale fluctuations, but isn't too far away from the next measurement.

Having another perfect day of 1660 kcal while being good on macro's. Trying to up to proteins a bit though, as I'm on the lower side of the healthy range.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »

Both digital scales we've owned were "sticky" and it was obvious.  How could I possibly be exactly 1XX.2 pounds every day for 3 days in a row?  So now we have a scale that looks like the one I used to see at Grandma's house. 

About the daily/weekly/monthly....like Hirondelle just mentioned, monthly is much too long; I need more immediate feedback.  I'm going to stick with daily for now.  You mentioned averaging - my husband said the same thing to me this morning.  As long as the trend is downward, an upward blip one or 2 days a week shouldn't cause me to freak out.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »
Week 2 weigh in and again pleasantly surprised to see a loss on the scale.  I'm down 2.4 lbs for the month.  I had two days this week when I ate off plan including last night when we went to the movies and had lots of popcorn and coke so I actually expected a slight gain. 

I think monthly weigh ins would be too long for me as well.  But I do find that I have to build in the monthly hormonal fluctuations so that I don't become discouraged and upset.  Dh prefers monthly, heck even bi-monthly, weigh ins.  I don't think men have the same hang ups with weight that women do. 

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »
Well, I'm not off to a good start. PMS and 50% off Easter candy teamed up on me yesterday with predictable results. Good progress last month had me saying "it's fine, go ahead."

I feel your pain neophyte! PMS and asthma (which translates to Prednisone) has me up +0.8.  Grrrr....

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Here's a recent (and typical) two weeks of daily weighings (the blue line), when I was eating exactly the same number of calories and doing nearly the same amount of exercise every day. If you pick any two points on this chart that are seven days apart, you can show anything from a 1.5 pound gain to a 2 pound loss. In fact what I'm doing -- what I've been doing for fifty weeks now -- is losing a very boring predictable steady 1.2 pounds per week. (Oh, ignore the "measured waist" title, that's not the data selected here.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:43:12 AM by koshtra »

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
I have to weigh myself daily. ( I tend to overdo it and take the average of three measurements. ) Monthly will definitely lead to procrastination on my part and weekly still does to a lesser extent.

I had a bad week food and exercise wise, but I still managed to make it back down to 169.8 for my weekly check in here.

My big news is that I got a new exercise buddy! We're still working on manners so our walks are painfully slow at this point, but he's pretty smart so hopefully he'll pick it up and accept that I expect him to listen to me soon.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
Well, he's cute as...well, a puppy!
What a great companion and inspiration for movement :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2018, 10:24:15 AM »
Oh neophyte, I want him/her - just look at that sweet face. Looks smart as a whip too.
Sometimes I wish I had a dog, but it isn't a good idea for various reasons. 

Well, I drug out the scale, which isn't working anymore - maybe it just needs a new battery? I was thinking of weighing in once a week or every other week.

Ten pounds in four months would be nice too, but I'd be happier with more endurance and losing inches than the actual weight.
Losing a dress size would be the ultimate - a solid size 12 would make me very happy indeed.

I do miss being slim and fitting into a size eight or ten. Size ten sounds like the moon when you are a size 14:)

More garden work happened - that's good exercise!
Haven't cut out all the snacks and sweets after supper - yet - but there has been progress.
Ate more salad - I like a good salad, but not so much as the main meal. Will do more salad this week - Tuna tonight, served on top of lots of green stuff and herbs from the garden and sliced boiled egg and a big ring of pineapple on top. Yum :)

I'll be taking a short bike ride today to a nearby park to test the feasibility and security of adding this to my daily routine. Everything else is too dangerous to get to, I'll have to transport the bike in my car - ugh.

The weather unexpectedly turned cool for a few days this week, 60's - so Mr. R. and I will take a two-mile walk in the park tonight and maybe every night. The beach or three different huge parks with trails are all nearby.
We'll see how this week goes - I'll report back.

What is a good website to go to for checking my calorie intake? As of today, I'll write down my calories for a week, just to see how much we actually consume. Maybe it could be as easy as swapping out one item for another?

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2018, 05:15:04 PM »
Neophyte - Congrats on the pupster! That's the best kind of exercise buddy.

Sigh. I'm getting so discouraged. My weight is very much stuck in the 139-141 range. Starting to very much think this is my setpoint, which I am semi unhappy with.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
Wednesday weekly averages:

March 28:     166.2 lbs, 36.9"
April 4:         165.2 lbs, 36.8"
April 11:       164.3 lbs, 36.5"
April 18:       163.2 lbs, 36.4"

Pretty much on course, here... looking for that nice soft landing.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
What is a good website to go to for checking my calorie intake? As of today, I'll write down my calories for a week, just to see how much we actually consume. Maybe it could be as easy as swapping out one item for another?

For most purposes I just google e.g. "calories potato" and Google pops up a serviceable answer.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »
Sigh. I'm getting so discouraged. My weight is very much stuck in the 139-141 range. Starting to very much think this is my setpoint, which I am semi unhappy with.

Yeah, it sucks. I gather from folks like Stephan Guyenet that setpoints move up easily, but it's not really known whether they ever move down :-(

I've been working this past year from the hypothesis that my appetite is just irremediably broken -- that I'll always want to eat more than is good for me. Which is discouraging in one way, but in another it sort of clears the deck and makes the problem straightforward: I just have to measure and monitor what I put in my mouth.

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »

Yeah, it sucks. I gather from folks like Stephan Guyenet that setpoints move up easily, but it's not really known whether they ever move down :-(

I'm in a healthy weight range, so part of me wants to be okay with it. But the other part is a bit more vain. I'm going to try a bit of intermittent fasting. Maybe that'll help.

skibum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
Neophyte, such a cute puppy! He will certainly motivate you to move.

Koshtra, I just read 'The Hungry Brain', have you tried eating bland foods that are not rewarding? It's something I've been experimenting with to help me with appetite control. I'm certainly less interested in finishing bland food. (Of course, then I have to stop myself from snacking an hour later, but that's a different problem...)

As of this AM, down 2.5 lbs in April, so halfway to my goal. Fingers crossed I'll make it, although overeating on the weekends is killing me.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 05:13:41 PM »
Koshtra, I just read 'The Hungry Brain', have you tried eating bland foods that are not rewarding? It's something I've been experimenting with to help me with appetite control. I'm certainly less interested in finishing bland food. (Of course, then I have to stop myself from snacking an hour later, but that's a different problem...)

I still eat high-reward foods, but I'm really strict with quantities. For instance I eat half a cup of ice cream every night, but it's *exactly* half a level cup -- like, meticulously packed, and eaten out of the measuring cup :-) Whereas the bowl of plain broccoli I have with my breakfast, or the plain potatoes I have with dinner -- I don't fuss about the amounts of those. I'm not worried about getting out of hand with them.

For me, the high-reward foods are essential to being able to stay on program. Three times a day I get something that I REALLY like to eat, a few bites that totally trigger the dopamine explosion (or whatever it is that makes the pleasure centers do their near-orgasmic thing.) If I have those moments to look forward to I can get through a 500-calorie deficit day, no sweat. A treat is on the way. A rescue is being thought of. The lizard brain decides it's not actually starving to death after all, and it doesn't need to snatch motor control away from the cerebral cortex.

But yeah, eating mostly bland low-reward foods, and eating mostly the same things every day, is really helpful. I don't have impulses to suddenly run amok with my daily unsweetened oatmeal, or to eat five plain potatoes instead of two at dinner. It's just food: I enjoy it, and then I forget about it.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2018, 09:58:02 AM »
I'm in for April with a more realistic 2.5 pound weight loss goal thanks to Sailor Sam's better math of how many calories you have to eat per day to lose a pound. I'm also going to start actually counting my calories.

142.2 as of 4/5/18
140.2 as of 4/21/18, but only because dinner was some nuts, a bag of skinny pop, and 1/4 bag of Skittles.

The April scale has been disappointing.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »
180.0 this morning. Level 1goal unlocked, though I'll certainly bounce back up. That's okay, I still have a few days to actually stay below 180.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
Week 3 and I'm down 3.2 lbs for the month despite a very stressful last two weeks so I'm pleased.  Still haven't taken measurements, still haven't started exercise.  Still planning to though.  I've been able to stay 90% on plan with my diet despite having strong cravings for junk food this past week.

Today and tomorrow are going to be difficult emotionally.  My anxiety has been high.  I've cut back by 50% on my caffeine to help with it, but it's still going to be challenging.  It's times like these when I see clearly how much I've relied on food for emotional coping.   

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
168 today. That makes me officially, uh, 1 lb down so far this month I think.  Ugh. I got off course but I've been starting to get back on track this week.

I haven't done my bodyweight workouts since I got the dog. Time to get back to that now that he's settling in I think. He's been stubborn about pulling on the leash so he hasn't made a good exercise buddy at all and I was getting very frustrated, but then yesterday he finally seemed to get it and we were able to walk almost half the length of the block before we had to stop because he pulled. At one point it was literally every single step. Making walks as boring as possible at this point helps I think, so we go around and around our block. I'm also trying to avoid crossing the street for now because it messes up the training protocol.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2018, 01:07:26 PM »
Been out of town and then sick and then super busy the past week and a half. I'll have to try to remember to step on the scale tomorrow morning. I am thinking about getting into the every day weight-ins. Ran 4 miles yesterday (longest run this year) plus I ran twice last week 2 and 3 miles, and did a nice 3 mile hike. So hopefully that shows up on the scale!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2018, 07:18:04 AM »
Google TDEE calculator if you haven't already.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

5lbs down so far! I am going for a few more in the last few days. I'll try to sweat it out over the weekend.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2018, 08:09:38 AM »

5lbs down so far! I am going for a few more in the last few days. I'll try to sweat it out over the weekend.

The calory values seem reasonable, but their recommended macro intake seems kind of ridiculous to me with 165g protein? Normal recommended protein intake is 0.8-1.2 g/kg body weight, but this is 2.5 g/kg body weight which is only relevent if you do really intense weight training?!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:34 AM »

The calory values seem reasonable, but their recommended macro intake seems kind of ridiculous to me with 165g protein? Normal recommended protein intake is 0.8-1.2 g/kg body weight, but this is 2.5 g/kg body weight which is only relevent if you do really intense weight training?!

it is giving me ~1 g/lb protein to weight. When I change the tab to "bulking" it goes up to 1.5g/lb. then again maybe it is because you are looking at lb and thinking in kg??

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2018, 10:06:53 AM »
Wednesday weekly averages:

March 28:     166.2 lbs, 36.9"
April 4:         165.2 lbs, 36.8"
April 11:       164.3 lbs, 36.5"
April 18:       163.2 lbs, 36.4"
April 25:       162.0 lbs, 36.1"

Hit my April goal this week. I know, 0.6" inches is a pretty modest goal, but hey, I hit it!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »
Congrats and great job, koshstra!! :)))

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2018, 12:24:59 PM »

it is giving me ~1 g/lb protein to weight. When I change the tab to "bulking" it goes up to 1.5g/lb. then again maybe it is because you are looking at lb and thinking in kg??

No I'm looking at the kg. 1 g protein/lb weight roughly translates to 2.2 g/kg as well so that's the same. Their lowest protein intake is 30% of your daily calories while the dietary recommendation is between 10-25%, the latter being for athletes that do lots of strenght training.

BlueSky45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
Finally checking back in...  I've been eating a TON of veggies and fruit for the last 10 days - trying to make them the biggest portion of my meals.  I've been feeling good and eating good - so I'm scared to get on the scale!  If the number hasn't budged much I'm going to be really disappointed.  Waiting until April 30th to face the scale.

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
I'm down from 139/140 to 136.4 thanks to a bit of intermittent fasting. I feel like intermittent fasting is just a euphemism for skipping meals, which used to be considered unhealthy, but now it's rebranded and the hip new thing.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
I'm down from 139/140 to 136.4 thanks to a bit of intermittent fasting. I feel like intermittent fasting is just a euphemism for skipping meals, which used to be considered unhealthy, but now it's rebranded and the hip new thing.

Whatever works over the long haul! Losing weight is pretty simple: you just have to figure out how to eat less. Fasting? Restricting a macronutrient? Counting Calories? Forbidding "villain" foods (sugar, flour, saturated fat)? Sure. Everything *might* work for a person. You just have to find what *does* work for you. And be prepared to change strategies if yours stops working, alas! I was so bummed when low carb stopped working for me. That was a sad day.

PacificEve

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
PacificEve -7

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2018, 02:08:44 AM »
I didn't have a proper starting weight measurement, but I'm down at least 2 lbs so I'm happy with that. 10 more to go :)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2018, 02:37:17 AM »

I find this really funny too! Just a few years ago it was not-done to skip breakfast and now everyone's like "oh I haven't eaten yet as I do intermittent fasting". Funny how all fasters seem to skip breakfast but no one dinner?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2018, 06:40:42 AM »
Nah, lots of IFers skip dinner, or breakfast and dinner. Many do their eating in a few-hour window late afternoon through evening, though, just so they can still join with family/friends and skip the less relational meal times in their life.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2018, 07:35:50 AM »
Okay! Maybe it's just me that I happen to don't know any dinner-skippers. I also feel like most have their eating window from afternoon to evening so that's why I felt like most IFers skip breakfast, maybe also just because for most people it's the easiest meal to skip (both hunger-wise and relation-wise).

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
Okay! Maybe it's just me that I happen to don't know any dinner-skippers. I also feel like most have their eating window from afternoon to evening so that's why I felt like most IFers skip breakfast, maybe also just because for most people it's the easiest meal to skip (both hunger-wise and relation-wise).

Yeah, exactly. From a body standpoint, I find it much easier to skip dinner or eat it late in the afternoon. From a family standpoint it's a lot easier to skip breakfast.

I'm being forceably and pedantically reminded that weight loss isn't linear:

4/23: 181.2
4/24: 180.3
4/25: 180.6
4/26: 181.0
4/27: 179.0
4/28: 177.6

What the hell, body?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »
I was 99.9% sure my last relationship was over when the person declared he was now IFing through dinner time.

There’d been a series of decisions that meant more and more of our life was unshared and I was going along with those. When he decided to remove sharing our most relationshippy meal, that was the last straw for me. Which is funny considering all of what had preceded this. But yep, if I’m in a relationship, sharing long wonderful meals is 47% of the whole goddamn point, dude.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »
I think I claimed 4 lbs for the month and I made it.  I am surprised because it was stop and go there for awhile.

4/1 - 165
4/28- 161

That puppy is just adorable.  Sure to keep you active.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »

Yeah, exactly. From a body standpoint, I find it much easier to skip dinner or eat it late in the afternoon. From a family standpoint it's a lot easier to skip breakfast.

I'm being forceably and pedantically reminded that weight loss isn't linear:

4/23: 181.2
4/24: 180.3
4/25: 180.6
4/26: 181.0
4/27: 179.0
4/28: 177.6

What the hell, body?

Mine did exactly the same thing last week. Five days without shifting and suddenly down a pound on day six, down another pound and a half on day seven. And I'm really kind of obsessively consistent. (And no, I don't have a boa constrictor digestion; things move along just fine.) Even after a year of this I'm still left perplexed sometimes. Though I have learned a lot more confidence that in some Platonic reality I'm losing 1.2 pounds per week, which will eventually register on the scale, the phenomenal world is still a mysterious place.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2018, 04:47:46 AM »
Ah, this actually worked! I did my weigh in and I'm down 7 pounds. What!

My big changes were starting at a kickboxing gym and going 3X per week and shifting my diet to be slightly smaller portions and reduced (but not eliminated carbs). I also didn't really eat sugar, but I never do. I'm extra surprised though, because I was traveling for a full week where I didn't exercise other that site-seeing walks and I ate out for most meals. 

Thanks for the thread, everyone! Hope there is a May version.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »
The May thread has been started here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/may-~-weight-loss-challenge/

How did everyone do in April? 

My goal was 2 lbs and I lost 4 so I'm very pleased.  It was just a slow and gradual loss which I hope will continue next month. 

@westtoeast - congratulations!  7 lbs in one month is excellent.