Author Topic: July: spend larger % of time posting in On-Topic forums  (Read 5843 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
July: spend larger % of time posting in On-Topic forums
« on: April 01, 2019, 05:02:55 AM »
Some lively debates occur in the 'Off-Topic' sub-forum, but these are not the raison d'etre of this site, and a good number of the more experienced/senior mustachians spend a decent chunk of time posting in 'Off-Topic' (including myself).

Challenge is simple:
Increase the percentage of posts you make this month to the "general discussion" & "Learning, Sharing, and Teaching"  sub-forums.  Posting in 'Journals' is considered neutral.

Hint: you can see which forums you post most frequently in by clicking your 'profile', then 'show stats' (under your avatar).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:07:29 PM by nereo »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: April: spend larger % of time posting in On-Topic forums
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:32:14 AM »
I’m trying to post less in general. So, not sure I will take up this gauntlet.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 08:03:36 AM »
I’m trying to post less in general. So, not sure I will take up this gauntlet.
Hey, that's thh beauty of percentages - you can accomplish the goal even while decreasing your total posts.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 08:42:56 AM »
Haha, called out. I often end up reading more in the other categories but not posting, especially case studies. So many good responses post so quickly that I often feel late to the party.

In any case, challenge accepted. Does this post count :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 08:46:43 AM »
Guilty.  I will take up the challenge, too. 

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »
Accepted.  I'm here for the mustachian material, so that's where I should spend my time!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 10:54:57 AM »
I'll give it a try.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »
I am trying to post less in general, and that will be reflected in my posts to the off topic forum as well. I didn't see this challenge until just now because of it : )

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
I'm not sure why I got tagged. :)

OT is my 5th most used forum in terms of absolute number of posts, and only by a few hundred posts, otherwise it wouldn't crack the top 5, and isn't even in my top 10 in terms of percent of activity stats.

Seems like a worthy goal though, I like it. I've visited the forums more in the last week than I have probably in any given month in the previous year+ (meaning... maybe 5 hours total in the last week?), and very much enjoyed the mini-resurgence of Mustachianism in me.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
D'oh, all my pasts in the goodbye to the forum thread just went from "General Discussion" to "off topic"

Should've seen it coming :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
Nereo, there are a couple if threads we're both active on.  I am always delighted at how clearly and diplomatically you express yourself. Confession: sometimes, particularly if the answer is complicated, I wait to see how you response. Often, you pen an answer that seems ripped right from my thoughts, except that your answer is far better than what I could have mustered.

Now you've done it again. For some time, I've noticed here are people with big, big journals that never seem to participate anywhere else. It kinda bugs me, but I couldn't figure out a non-dickish way to ask them to maybe pretty please onsider helping out others further down the FIRE escape ladder.

For the record, I don't see them on your list, which might underscore my point, and I'm not going to call them out here. I hope this thread results in more lively conversations.

I just want to say that it gives me the yippie-skippies to see someone get their shit together as a result of the support and encouragement they receive here. (See: @wooljaguar and @Eric222, who are both killing it. ) It feels so good to help others on their journey to FIRE. Really, everyone should try it. Take nereo up on this challenge, whether he pinged you or not.

And nereo, you did it again again. I didn't know about the "show stats" feature. I see I'm only #6 in Off Topic posts, so maybe I need to heed my own advice.

@arebelspy, maybe you just got pinged because everyone loves you.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »
I pinged @arebelspy because when he's not traveling he's active, and active everywhere, and because I want to be on "Team arebelspy", as he's both a fountain of knowledge and even-handed when discussing subjects with people whom might have a different viewpoint.

By all means invite others to this challenge.  I intentionally phrased it in a positive way (i.e. "post more in the main forums" intead of "stop posting as much in off-topic"), because I do see value in both, but this forum exists to find ways of living better lives through sensible financial choices, and to help others achieve the same.

Just over a week in and I've personally increased my postings in several of the 'main' forums. There's something about helping others that just leads to a warm and fuzzy feeling, vs. perpetual arguing about hot-button topics that leaves me usually feeling annoyed or anxious.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 09:03:45 AM »
Hmmm, Off Topic is 4th down my list after General and Ask a Mustachian and basically tied for 5th with Mini Mustaches.

I'm not super interested in RE and don't feel like I have any helpful advice for people who are trying to be hardcore, but sure! I'll at least stay off the off-topics for a while.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
Guilty.

I agree that "on topic" is the main purpose of the forum and helping other on their path to FI is rewarding. However, I do enjoy the interaction of other like minded people in the journals. I would hate to see the forum turn into a percentage based thing where you were banned just because your percentages of post were not balanced in favour of "on topic".   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »
I looked at my profile, no surprises.  I do spend a lot of time in the Journals, not surprising.  I do post here.

I probably don't post as much as I might in Ask a Mustachian and Case Studies - I got burned a few time in Case studies, and most of the Ask a Mustachian stuff is on things I can't answer.  I do check them out!  I even started a thread in Throw Down the Gauntlet  (Planting/Growing Your Own 2019).

Plus as a retired barely before standard retirement age Canadian, I am kind of an outlier in the forum demographics.  But if anyone wants the opinion on something of a late 60-something, retired biologist, born in Quebec living in Ontario, female, divorced mother of 1, passionate gardener, I will give it.   ;-)

Buffalo Chip, I grew up in Quebec during the Quiet Revolution (la revolution tranquile) - politics was a main topic of conversation.   ;-)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 08:14:20 PM »
Plus as a retired barely before standard retirement age Canadian, I am kind of an outlier in the forum demographics.  But if anyone wants the opinion on something of a late 60-something, retired biologist, born in Quebec living in Ontario, female, divorced mother of 1, passionate gardener, I will give it.   ;-)

Buffalo Chip, I grew up in Quebec during the Quiet Revolution (la revolution tranquile) - politics was a main topic of conversation.   ;-)

Oh good. A fellow post 50 person to show these young whippersnappers a thing or two!  Pleased to meet you.

I’m not familiar with the quiet revolution in Quebec beyond what I quickly duck duck go’d. I’m more familiar with the so called Reagan revolution and US politics. Was very involved back in the day. Then I walked away. Had a “scales fell from my eyes” moment, and haven’t gone back. Find the whole politicL thing repugnant at this point, and am not shy about telling others about it

What type of biology?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 09:42:51 AM »

Oh good. A fellow post 50 person to show these young whippersnappers a thing or two!  Pleased to meet you.

I’m not familiar with the quiet revolution in Quebec beyond what I quickly duck duck go’d. I’m more familiar with the so called Reagan revolution and US politics. Was very involved back in the day. Then I walked away. Had a “scales fell from my eyes” moment, and haven’t gone back. Find the whole politicL thing repugnant at this point, and am not shy about telling others about it

What type of biology?

Zoology/ecology mostly.

The quiet revolution basically changed Quebec from a very religious church-run society into a mostly secular society.  It made major changes to education (start of the CEGEPs). It probably also unleashed separatism, not because the sentiment wasn't always there, but because the church worked with the authorities to keep  everyone quiet and obedient.

My parents were children of the depression, or more accurately teens of the depression, so I grew up in a financially frugal household. Lots of what gets discussed here was second nature to them.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:03 AM »
I'm going to belatedly take up this challenge. Off-topic is fun, but oftentimes seems to just serve as a self-affirming soundboard for one's own thoughts and feelings rather than any kind of productive discourse. On a related note, I think Off-Topic tends to increase my stress levels, which is not cool (it could just be me).

There's something about helping others that just leads to a warm and fuzzy feeling, vs. perpetual arguing about hot-button topics that leaves me usually feeling annoyed or anxious.

I see it's not just me. I'll finish any conversations I'm currently in, but intend to actively ignore all others at least for the rest of this month.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 02:02:21 PM »
I'm going to belatedly take up this challenge. Off-topic is fun, but oftentimes seems to just serve as a self-affirming soundboard for one's own thoughts and feelings rather than any kind of productive discourse. On a related note, I think Off-Topic tends to increase my stress levels, which is not cool (it could just be me).

There's something about helping others that just leads to a warm and fuzzy feeling, vs. perpetual arguing about hot-button topics that leaves me usually feeling annoyed or anxious.

I see it's not just me. I'll finish any conversations I'm currently in, but intend to actively ignore all others at least for the rest of this month.

There’s a real theme here; discussion of news and hot-button topics makes us anxious and unhappy. But why would anyone want that?

Funny coincidence. I was listening to a Choose FI podcast and the guest was noting that when we’re angry or agitated, we tend to make more reckless or daring financial decisions which I suppose might be the underlying reason there is so much of this crap in the media. If people spend more when they’re angry, wouldn’t that be a good reason for continuing that media model?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
If people spend more when they’re angry, wouldn’t that be a good reason for continuing that media model?

I think you might have just pin pointed why the media is the way it is!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »
I've started to interact more with actual financial advice threads. My stats are overwhelmingly journals, but that's been cooling down. It's nice when you get a follow up, even if sometimes people disappear.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 07:40:15 AM »
I've started to interact more with actual financial advice threads. My stats are overwhelmingly journals, but that's been cooling down. It's nice when you get a follow up, even if sometimes people disappear.
I love follow-ups like years later.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 07:52:08 AM »
Ha, funny you posted this, although I'm not on the list. I decided some time ago to spend less time in the Off-Topic section and more time in other forum sections. Seems like a good challenge for anyone. 

Edit to add, just realized this is my 2000th comment. Maybe I spend too much time on here? Nah, it's a fun community!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:02:02 AM by MasterStache »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 08:00:45 AM »
Ha, funny you posted this, although I'm not on the list. I decided some time ago to spend less time in the Off-Topic section and more time in other forum sections. Seems like a good challenge for anyone.

Glad you could join us.  The list of course isn't all-inclusive, and everyone's invited to participate.

Half way through April and I've made just a few posts in the off-topic and probably doubled my participation elsewhere.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »
Well I will not be posting in off topic for awhile so can join this challenge ;-). It's actually helpful having less than 100 posts as it really helps control any immediate desire to post a response in an ongoing heated debate. It's like being forced to count to 10 to cool down and then walk away from an angry discussion.

ETA I'm also refraining from posting in journals as, while most are wonderful reads from inspiring people, they can be a huge time suck and I find it hard not to get involved in the convos so avoid most now.

I’m in the same boat, but am rapidly approaching my 100 post threshold. So I can post off topic!!!!

Or not.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 02:09:48 PM »
I actually am a long term member and probably have a few billion posts (OK maybe a few thousand) but am crazy so deleted them all.

Spartana's deleted more posts than 99.9% of active forum members have ever made. It's sad to see @spartana bumped back down to '5-o'clock shadow'
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:04:22 PM by nereo »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 06:01:13 PM »
I’m celebrating over 100 posts and I haven’t been banned yet. Wooohoo!

That also means I can post off topic. Not quite so exciting as not getting banned, but I figured I should do a look at what’s there. Bernie Saunders is hot, as is the US of Russia. So lots of politics.

Ewwww. Gross. Bleccch!

Guess I won’t be posting off topic anytime soon.
Congratulations!  I look forward to seeing more posts from you in the main forums ;-)
Follow the forum rules and you won't get banned.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 05:46:45 AM »
Do you mean you aren't really a small fluffy white dog sporting a top hat and a monocle IRL?  I'm a bit dissapointed, to be honest...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »
Well I will not be posting in off topic for awhile so can join this challenge ;-). It's actually helpful having less than 100 posts as it really helps control any immediate desire to post a response in an ongoing heated debate. It's like being forced to count to 10 to cool down and then walk away from an angry discussion.

ETA I'm also refraining from posting in journals as, while most are wonderful reads from inspiring people, they can be a huge time suck and I find it hard not to get involved in the convos so avoid most now.

I’m in the same boat, but am rapidly approaching my 100 post threshold. So I can post off topic!!!!

Or not.
I actually am a long term member and probably have a few billion posts (OK maybe a few thousand) but am crazy so deleted them all.

I like crazy.  Normal is in debt, unhappy, regular voter, and a wage slave. I’ll take a pass on normal.
Someone who gets it ;-). But seriously, I put too much personal info on.this forum over the years (pictures too!) and a reader found me IRL and I had some serious issues with him. So now I limit what I say.

Geez, sorry to hear that. The Internet is full of some crazy psychos! This is one of the main reasons I stay away from Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »
I think it’s time to fire this one up again. Acknowledge the wickedness and backsliding of my ways and stay off the off topic.

And besides, on-topic has fewer calories.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »
I think it’s time to fire this one up again. Acknowledge the wickedness and backsliding of my ways and stay off the off topic.

Sounds good to me!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »

Sounds good to me!
Me too. I have enough crazy in my life.

Might I persuade you to change the title to remove the “April” from the thread? Staying off off-topic is timeless :-p

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2020, 07:53:59 AM »

Sounds good to me!

Might I persuade you to change the title to remove the “April” from the thread? Staying off off-topic is timeless :-p

I changed it to "July" --- though through some glitch in the matrix it shows up that way in the list of recent threads but not when you are reading the actual thread (that comes later... i think... don't know why).

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 08:25:20 AM »

Sounds good to me!

I changed it to "July" --- though through some glitch in the matrix it shows up that way in the list of recent threads but not when you are reading the actual thread (that comes later... i think... don't know why).

OK. That works. Thanks for making the change!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: July: spend larger % of time posting in On-Topic forums
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »
I'd forgotten about this thread. I see Off Topic has moved from #6 to #8 in my stats. I'll take that for a win.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2020, 10:26:38 AM »
I'd forgotten about this thread. I see Off Topic has moved from #6 to #8 in my stats. I'll take that for a win.

Off topic is 4th for me. Got some work to do!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
Off topic is 5th for me in posts but 10th in activity.  But it says gardening is #1 in activity and so I don't think the activity part is very accurate.

I would like off topic to go down to 7th! 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 04:49:34 PM »
Progress so far: I don’t believe I’ve visited off topic in the last week. Not posted there at all. I have 175 posts in off topic. That’s about 174 too many. So long as I post throw down the gauntlet more, it’ll slip to 5th hopefully by next month.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 05:48:43 PM »
I think more members here need to read, re-read, then follow the MMM “Low-Information Diet” article.

I wish the Off Topic wasn’t so politically driven, makes it really really easy for me to avoid it in general.. It’s so easy to get sucked into BS debates which add virtually zero value to anyone involved in them..

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »
Progress so far: I don’t believe I’ve visited off topic in the last week. Not posted there at all. I have 175 posts in off topic. That’s about 174 too many. So long as I post throw down the gauntlet more, it’ll slip to 5th hopefully by next month.

II I’ve been posting far less over the last two weeks.. but sadly a few times in OT. So..l fail?
Will do better over the next two weeks

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 07:31:30 AM »
I avoid political topics like the plague here. Just for fun, I looked to see what else is in Off Topic. Wait a damn minute! There is some good info there, especially the food-related stuff. I often find great recipes on in the dinner thread and acorns thread is invaluable for eating well on a miniscule budget.

Now I'm not so sure what the point of this thread is...I may have to rethink this prohibition.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
I avoid political topics like the plague here. Just for fun, I looked to see what else is in Off Topic. Wait a damn minute! There is some good info there, especially the food-related stuff. I often find great recipes on in the dinner thread and acorns thread is invaluable for eating well on a miniscule budget.

Now I'm not so sure what the point of this thread is...I may have to rethink this prohibition.

It's not a prohibition.  The challenge isn't to avoid posting in the Off-Topic section altogether, but to spend more time in the main subforums... the raison d'etre so to speak.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »

It's not a prohibition.  The challenge isn't to avoid posting in the Off-Topic section altogether, but to spend more time in the main subforums... the raison d'etre so to speak.
B-b--b-but I like the frugal food stuff and the daily inspiration! They are definitely within our raison d'etre, IMO.

Maybe the Off Topic topic could use a little refining. @acorn's amazing thread is a gift to all mustachians.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 08:17:38 AM »
hey, IMO there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with the OT portion of the forum, and clearly I like to post there too. 
This is just a voluntary challenge to post more in the other subforums.  Because your wisdom is needed there too ;-)

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »
I think more members here need to read, re-read, then follow the MMM “Low-Information Diet” article.

Hypothetical question.  Let's say I have a brother that really believes in the Low-Information Diet but has little to no self control on this issue?  What is he to do?  : (

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
I stopped posting there at all when the first thread came up and only hit it on rare topics, usually that I think should be in a different area, but I was pretty far underwater and I've dropped my posting way down over the last year. 

However, this thread made me take another look at why I come to the forum and I enjoy it more when I'm here now!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »
hey, IMO there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with the OT portion of the forum, and clearly I like to post there too. 
This is just a voluntary challenge to post more in the other subforums.  Because your wisdom is needed there too ;-)
My pet peeve is the people who post in their journals and nowhere else. I hang out here to help others on the path to FIRE. I also like interacting with others who have a wider range of experience than I do. I may be FIRE, but there's still a lot I don't know.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »

Exactly. There is a lot on this we site that isn’t off topic that I’ve never even explored. The tax topic is fascinating and I don’t think I’d ever been there until a couple of weeks ago. There is a real estate section that I have yet to check out. So why sort through off topic chaff when there are gold nuggets just laying about elsewhere?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2020, 02:04:59 PM »
My pet peeve is the people who post in their journals and nowhere else. I hang out here to help others on the path to FIRE. I also like interacting with others who have a wider range of experience than I do. I may be FIRE, but there's still a lot I don't know.
I usually just mark all journals as read before I look at unread posts.  It cuts through a lot.  There have occasionally been really interesting journals, though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!