Author Topic: April Cycling Challenge 2017  (Read 4156 times)

jordanread

April Cycling Challenge 2017
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »
The cycling challenge for April 2017 is up and ready for you to start (or continue) riding!!
If you logged miles last month, and selected "Remember Me" on the form, you have been added to this month's sheet already.

If you didn't log miles last month, or are a new participant
Click here to fill out the form.
You can access the sheet directly at this link.
I can manually grab your historical data too, so if it's off, just let me know.  If they aren't there within a day, or you have any other issues with the sheet, hit me up via email, Google+ Hangouts, PM, or just comment on this thread.
You can also join the MMM Strava Group for additional metrics and motivation. Happy Biking.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: April Cycling Challenge 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
Over 600 cyclists turned out for the 30 Days of Biking kickoff ride!  Weather could not have been more perfect - sunny and mid-60s!

Slow slow roll for the kickoff, then beers, then rolling to some good eats with great people, then roll to watch the sun set and home. 30 miles on the nose.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »
I'm in.  Actually got a leisure ride in on Saturday.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:56:24 PM by sw1tch »

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 01:43:46 AM »
I requested to join the Strava group.  I'm pretty consistent with logging my rides; it's kind of fun tracking my progress.
Sorry about the delay with that, just moved into a new apartment and things have just settled down.  You should see yourself now in the club leader board.
----

Last Thursday I couldn't get to sleep and the hours went by fast.  Come 6am I decided just to make breakfast, go to work early, and get some stuff down and get home early.  Worked out well, but felt like crap the whole weekend.  Did a 3,000 ft climb on Sunday, but just didn't quite feel recovered from that all nighter.

Tonight I visited with my team captain and had a great chat.  Decided to make the most of the trip coming back and got off the light rail just after the big hill.  By big I mean, 1200ft and no way around it, and at night with a mediocre headlight, wasn't going to climb, and it was past 10pm, light rail was a bit faster.  The ride home from there was pretty fun, got some good sprints in, and some VO2max intervals.

It's now been 2 and a half months since moving back here and not having a car.  I'd have to say I'm loving it.  On Saturday after my short group ride I went shopping and came back with the biggest load yet, weight in at 16kg (35.2lbs).  Just had to choose that time to test out an alternative route to the new place with only right turns.  Turns out there's a nice dip and then a long incline rather than being flat.  The right turns were appreciated though.  At least now in the new place I don't have to carry my pack and bike up a flight of stairs.

BWholehearted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 12:34:57 AM »
I'm so excited to join the Cycling Challenge.  My hubby and I have been living in the evil land of long commutes for a couple years.  We just moved for his job and determined it was my turn to have the short commute: he's had less commuting than me over the course of our 7 year marriage, it doesn't bother him as much, and if we want to have kids and I work 12.5 hour shifts and try and get sleep/breast feed/shower periodically, I will much more quickly run out of hours in the day to get that accomplished AND stay sane. 

So we just moved to Montana from Washington State and I have a 2.9 mile (one way) commute and he has 35 min of highway driving with views of Glacier National Park and the potential to work from home sometimes.  My work has a locker room with tow private showers, stocked with towels, and a fancy indoor ambulance ramp that was mis-designed and so is now a glorified storage area/undercover-semi-secure (must have employee badge to enter) bike storage area for me, with a big fat metal railing for my bike locking pleasure. I've now bike commuted 3 weeks in a row with no "cheat" days.  I'm loving it!!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 01:08:21 AM »
I'm so excited to join the Cycling Challenge.  My hubby and I have been living in the evil land of long commutes for a couple years.  We just moved for his job and determined it was my turn to have the short commute: he's had less commuting than me over the course of our 7 year marriage, it doesn't bother him as much, and if we want to have kids and I work 12.5 hour shifts and try and get sleep/breast feed/shower periodically, I will much more quickly run out of hours in the day to get that accomplished AND stay sane. 

So we just moved to Montana from Washington State and I have a 2.9 mile (one way) commute and he has 35 min of highway driving with views of Glacier National Park and the potential to work from home sometimes.  My work has a locker room with tow private showers, stocked with towels, and a fancy indoor ambulance ramp that was mis-designed and so is now a glorified storage area/undercover-semi-secure (must have employee badge to enter) bike storage area for me, with a big fat metal railing for my bike locking pleasure. I've now bike commuted 3 weeks in a row with no "cheat" days.  I'm loving it!!

That's pretty awesome!  Congratulations on the move and jobs and such.  A 2.9mi commute is like a no excuse distance.  I've commuted 3mi by bike for the past 5 years and timed it with my car too, if I get off work during commuting hours then it can take me longer to get to the first intersection than it takes me to ride home on my bike.   Now I'm car free and loving it.  Hope you enjoy it and it works out well for you.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:14:24 PM »
Noticed that the spreadsheet isn't picking up any updates for my tab since last Friday.

All the SUM functions appear to be ok, they're just not working.

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 05:03:29 AM »
Noticed that the spreadsheet isn't picking up any updates for my tab since last Friday.

I don't even see a tab for you. What tab are you using?

jordanread

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 05:06:23 AM »
Although I do see that Katscratch, BC, and crazyfishor  are updating the summary sheet instead of their own tab. That causes issues on occasion. Can the 3 of you make sure you are logging your miles under the sheet with your username? Once there is data in those sheets, I'll fix the summary sheet, and go from there.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 05:40:32 AM »

The one with my name on it, I have to click across on the arrows down the bottom to find me each time I access the sheet.

It was fine up to Friday morning, after that, any entry hasn't worked properly.

And now I have checked it from home and it's all working again.

Weird.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
I guess I'm glad I have yet to take off my studded tires? It snowed last night, and the forecast calls for more each day this week. Although luckily it only says 1cm or so each day... yesterday it was calling for 5-10!)

I do hope most of you other northern hemisphere people are done with most of the white stuff!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
I guess I'm glad I have yet to take off my studded tires? It snowed last night, and the forecast calls for more each day this week. Although luckily it only says 1cm or so each day... yesterday it was calling for 5-10!)

I do hope most of you other northern hemisphere people are done with most of the white stuff!

I'm so glad the white stuff looks to be gone for the season here.  I biked a handful of times in the stuff (w/o studded tires) and it did get dicey, but not too bad.  I only fell off once the whole season and bruised some ribs but that didn't stop me.  Altogether, other than vacation time, for the whole winter season I took one day off completely (didn't even go to work) and drove in the very next day (should've ridden in but wimped out since school was called off).

jordanread

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 05:00:25 AM »

The one with my name on it, I have to click across on the arrows down the bottom to find me each time I access the sheet.

Weird.

I must be tripping. Maybe it's too early. I still don't see a tab that says GT. I'm glad it's working, but are you sure you are using this month's sheet? A new one is created each month. What does the title of the document say? <<MONTH>> Cycling Challenge <<YEAR>>.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 05:17:19 AM »

Weird.

I must be tripping. Maybe it's too early. I still don't see a tab that says GT. I'm glad it's working, but are you sure you are using this month's sheet? A new one is created each month. What does the title of the document say? <<MONTH>> Cycling Challenge <<YEAR>>.

Ahh, that makes sense, tab is geoff_tewierik, my name, forum username GT is just my initials.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »
Although I do see that Katscratch, BC, and crazyfishor  are updating the summary sheet instead of their own tab. That causes issues on occasion. Can the 3 of you make sure you are logging your miles under the sheet with your username? Once there is data in those sheets, I'll fix the summary sheet, and go from there.

WHOOPSIES! Thank you!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:01:20 AM by katscratch »

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »
So this happened.

jordanread

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 05:10:25 AM »
Ah crap! Is this aluminum, carbon fiber, steel?

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »
Wowzers!

Were you riding it at the time?

Bruizer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
Looks like steel or aluminum. Carbon fiber would splinter.  What brand and year of bike?

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »
2015 Soma Wolverine, Tange Infinity steel frame.  Broke at the dropouts which are cast.  Warranty enquiry currently underway.

Had gone about 500m from home when it felt a bit weird and wobbly, pedalling it gave chain slack, stopped after going down the hill and checked out the front wheel thinking that was loose in the fork, but it was fine, continued riding down the next hill and it still felt weird, pulled over at the local bus exchange and flipped the bike over, checking all over, pulled the rear wheel off to reseat the QR in case that was it and found I couldn't get the wheel back in.  That's when I found the break.

Had to walk back home 1.5kms and grab the Masi Speciale single speed to get to work an hr late.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
Cast dropouts?
Should really be forged.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 10:36:49 PM »
Cast dropouts?
Should really be forged.

Yeah, cast.  Soma should be thinking Paragon sliders instead.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »
Just got back from Taiwan.  Had a great time there and even got in a couple bike rides.  There was a fun ride with a group who thought it was funny I was keeping up with them on the folding bike.  Biggest problem was going downhill I couldn't keep up once we were exceeding 30mph as my cadence in the top gear was already at 120rpm.  Did manage to let gravity get the bike up to 38mph once.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
Anyone else in the U.S. joining the National Bike Challenge? https://nationalbikechallenge.org

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
Ughh... so sick of snow. We have had days of gray/rain/snow/sleet/freezing rain...

I think today *should* be the last, forecast for double digit highs starting on Saturday!
(I will so  have jinxed it if we get a May snowstorm)

Thus far our spring has been more like a PNW winter. I think I'll take COLD and SUNNY over gray and drizzling any day. But it's been good practice for getting my clothes right for the wet.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
So I'm currently on one of my n+1 bikes for the commute, a 2009 Masi Speciale Ltd running single speed, and it popped a rear spoke two nights ago when I took off from a standing start (ALL THE WATTS!!!).

Dropped into a mates shop to get that sorted last night and he found the freewheel had shat itself as well.  Luckily I ride a flip flop rear hub, so now I'm riding fixed.   Been a while since I tried to be a fixie kid, keep trying to buck myself off.  Can't wait for the broken Wolverine situation to get itself sorted out.

jordanread

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!