Author Topic: April Cycling Challenge 2015  (Read 18621 times)

jorjor

• Bristles
Re: April Cycling Challenge 2015
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
Yes, I agree with ohyonghao. The only reason I have any thermal gear is to ride in below-freezing temps (and again, there are other options than what I have). I still do long rides in the winter, and I've been able to do fine with 60 mile rides in below freezing temps in those. It gets me out of the house during the winter and I enjoy it. It just depends on what you're looking to do.

I will share a lesson I learned. I bought the items I listed a few years ago and then a month or so later I went to a bike swap meet and was really sad at the money I had spent buying those items. Find out if there is a bike swap meet in your area and plan that as your trip for getting your bike maintenance and gear that you don't want to pay for. The one here had plenty of vendors with dirt cheap clothing, if you were willing to dig through piles and bins to get to them. You can find used parts if you need them and you can sell your own stuff. Here, it costs like $7 entry but is totally worth it if you really need bike parts or clothing.

I've also checked out bike consignment stores for deals. I'll find good deals from time to time on a part I need if I cant find it on craigslist. I use http://theproscloset.com/ because I can have a co-worker who lives in there pick it up for me and not have to pay for shipping. Everything there is sold through eBay auctions.

I know it sounds like I buy a lot of bike stuff (and I probably do), but I've found there are good ways to pick some of these things up along the way without making cycling a huge money pit.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2015, 10:25:52 AM »
I just did my fastest ride yet this year: 50.5km in 2:17h (commute forth and back). 22.1 km/h on average. The absolutely awesome weather helped a lot, I think. WOOHOO!

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2015, 11:22:59 AM »
Not set up for rain yet and it's super windy today. Felt good though, I rode 6 days in a row.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
I am back in my old office - 20km ish round trip bike commute.  Yay for biking more miles this month, and now that the studs are officially off (oh oh, here comes the april snowstorm... again) - I am trying to do 30daysofbiking. I started late - so I'm only one week in, but so far so good. The longer commute is wearing me out, but a few shorter rides over the weekend have helped me recover.

I hope everyone is enjoying spring - our earliest trees are just starting to show signs of budding, but I have put away my bike lights for the most part :)

GreenPen

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2015, 12:40:19 PM »
So... I caught the century bug (I blame ohyonghao). Last Saturday, I took off before sunrise and rode 107 miles (3400 ft elevation). I kept a relatively slow pace and felt great for the first ~90 miles, but really started to drag after that.

I'm curious about what everyone here does for food on longer rides. Last weekend, I loaded up a saddle bag with about 3000 calories (sandwiches, granola, drink mix... leftover pizza), and essentially had a few picnics. But now that I have this first ride under my belt, I'm interested in getting my time down by training, ditching the saddle bag, and eating on my bike rather than stopping.

Should I just suck it up and buy a bunch of GU packets ($1 per 100 calories)? Is there a less expensive way to get enough calories in a tiny pouch?

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »
If you're inclined towards GU, you might want to consider just picking up one of those squeeze bottles of honey. I have marathoner/triathlete friends who do that. Or if you feel silly drinking from a bear's head, just bring candy.

They're all awful for your teeth, though! Only take the straight sugar stuff when you're on long rides and will crash otherwise.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
In the one century ride I did (on my own, so no food stations or support), I had a bunch of granola bars and fruit. I wait for GU shot blocks to go on sale and grab some of those because the GU gel packets taste awful to me and popping a couple of the shot blocks are more efficient. I've seen some cycling food recipe books that I've been meaning to check out from the library.

I had the same problem as you though. I hit a wall at about 90 miles and the last 10 miles or so just dragged on. Luckily, I ran into a friend who nursed me through the end. I actually had to work that day since it was our busy season, so I went with my wife and grabbed a Chipotle burrito for lunch. She had to sit me down because I almost collapsed because of malnourishment. I then went and worked for 7 hours.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't take any advice on century nutrition from me.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2015, 04:07:02 PM »
For my century ride I had Clif bars, which I get at Costco, or now Winco who has a better price in a smaller box and more variety.  Those run about $0.70/bar, which is 250 calories.  At the 80mi point I had finished the last of my bars (I brought 3 and stupidly didn't grab an extra at my house which was the midpoint stop).  I went through about 9 shot bloks, so another 300 calories there, but didn't start using them till the end, and at that point I had no other nutrition source.

I can't remember what I did for breakfast that morning, usually I'll do 2-3 eggs, 2oz of cheddar (1 in the eggs, the other on the bread), a couple tablespoons of olive oil for scrambling the eggs (scrambling lets the eggs soak up the oil, whereas frying a lot of oil would be left in the pan), and a pretzel role, or toast, aiming for about 1000 calories.  Drink some coffee, and do a check over the bike to give myself about 30 minutes to begin digestion before heading out.  I open one of the Clif Bars before leaving so I can easily access it while riding, and at the next stop after finishing I'll open the next one.  Still working on the opening while riding.

I also drink Gatorade which I make from powder (last month I mentioned my experiment in making my own).  I've been experimenting with strength of solution and find that 50% of recommended and it keeps me thirsty.  Yesterday I rode with 25% of recommended and did well, except the heat sucked all the water from me twice as fast as normal.

oblivo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
I'm in

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:03 AM »
Every time I update my page on the spreadsheet I feel like I'm bringing the average down ;) I suppose at least I get mustachian cred for having a very short commute. Y'all will just have to up your goals to keep me from ruining the curve!

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2015, 07:22:43 AM »
Competitive Cyclist shut down their Strava points program! What a bummer. It did seem too good to be true/not well thought-out. They say it will come back in May and I imagine when it does there will be some caveat that you can only spend your credits on whole bikes or purchases over $500 or something.

I'm going to have a relatively bike-heavy week (for me) because I'm dogsitting and need to go home at lunch to feed and walk the dog. My boyfriend was able to take yesterday because he had the day off, but I'm on the hook for the rest of the week. So I'll be doing two 8-mile roundtrips a day instead of one. We'll see how I hold up! I might end up caving and working from home one afternoon or taking an Uber home for the lunch walk, but the weather's supposed to stay pretty nice and hopefully my legs will cooperate.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2015, 08:43:39 AM »
I'm curious about what everyone here does for food on longer rides. Last weekend, I loaded up a saddle bag with about 3000 calories (sandwiches, granola, drink mix... leftover pizza), and essentially had a few picnics. But now that I have this first ride under my belt, I'm interested in getting my time down by training, ditching the saddle bag, and eating on my bike rather than stopping.

Should I just suck it up and buy a bunch of GU packets ($1 per 100 calories)? Is there a less expensive way to get enough calories in a tiny pouch?

You're asking two different questions: what to eat, and how to make it accessible.

Nutrition-wise, science food will not make you faster, especially for long rides where you need to replace more than just sugar. Listen to your body and your cravings will tell you what you need to eat. If I'm packing, it's usually some sort of burritos as they're self-contained and can have whatever flavor profile and nutrient content you want. Two for 100 miles is more than sufficient for me, but riding 10000 miles a year will make you pretty efficient.

Pringle cans fit awesome in bottle cages, as do Anheuser-Busch's 25oz cans of Bud Heavy, Lime-a-Rita, etc.

I would highly recommend riding 'til you bonk (run out of stored glycogen / carbohydrate) at least once just to see what it's like and what your limit is.

If your food won't fit in your pockets, get a handlebar bag or small frame bag

If you're inclined towards GU, you might want to consider just picking up one of those squeeze bottles of honey. I have marathoner/triathlete friends who do that. Or if you feel silly drinking from a bear's head, just bring candy.

If you're doing honey, add a small part of molasses as well

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
I participated in my very first cycling race yesterday.  It was intense.  At the start line after a brief warmup to 158 bpm, my heart rate got down to 108, but as the time got closer I saw my heart rate creeping up to 112, then 118, and finally I was at 120 while just standing there when the whistle blew and we were off.  The race started with the sound of cleats clicking in and gears being shifted.  I made it through all 5 laps of the 1.9mi course, but that final lap I was looking at my HR and seeing 183 and thinking, "My max is usually 185-189, I don't have any more beats to sprint the end."  The final sprint comes up and I somehow get up to 195!  It was an amazing feeling.

A funny thing while riding the closed course, it's fairly close to the wetlands, and it has grassy fields in the middle.  On our 3rd lap we came by a line of ducks just waddling across as 50 cyclists come speeding by.

GreenPen

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »
Thanks, everybody for the advice on food and how to carry it. Sounds like I need to get a second place to put food (e.g., a handlebar bag), so I can give myself more options than the small seat pouch will afford.

I participated in my very first cycling race yesterday.  It was intense.  At the start line after a brief warmup to 158 bpm, my heart rate got down to 108, but as the time got closer I saw my heart rate creeping up to 112, then 118, and finally I was at 120 while just standing there when the whistle blew and we were off.  The race started with the sound of cleats clicking in and gears being shifted.  I made it through all 5 laps of the 1.9mi course, but that final lap I was looking at my HR and seeing 183 and thinking, "My max is usually 185-189, I don't have any more beats to sprint the end."  The final sprint comes up and I somehow get up to 195!  It was an amazing feeling.

A funny thing while riding the closed course, it's fairly close to the wetlands, and it has grassy fields in the middle.  On our 3rd lap we came by a line of ducks just waddling across as 50 cyclists come speeding by.

Smokes! That's a fast heart rate. Must have been a crazy sprint!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Thanks, everybody for the advice on food and how to carry it. Sounds like I need to get a second place to put food (e.g., a handlebar bag), so I can give myself more options than the small seat pouch will afford.

Smokes! That's a fast heart rate. Must have been a crazy sprint!

I didn't even get out of my saddle for it, but I peaked at 32.7mph!

As for the food, I guess I should mention that I have a jersey with three pockets on the back.  Left pocket is for phone/spare battery, right pocket carries current food/energy, and middle carries cleat covers, wallet, and spare food.  Only supplies are in my saddle bag.  Then again, I also had two pit stops planned on the way, so YMMV.  Last Sunday we went out at 2pm when it was 80F and I found myself going through water twice as fast, about 750cc/12.5mi instead of every 25mi.  With two people it makes it easier to stop at a 7-11 or some other convenience store as one can stay out and watch the bikes (it was only a 35mi ride).

Nancy

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »
Every time I update my page on the spreadsheet I feel like I'm bringing the average down ;) I suppose at least I get mustachian cred for having a very short commute. Y'all will just have to up your goals to keep me from ruining the curve!

You are awesome. You're adding to our number of cyclists and total miles ridden. All good.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Been trying to convince my friends to join me Mountain biking since I quit golfing with them in 2013. Have not had much luck; but ones going out with me tomm after work and then grilling out at my place with some beers.

Hopefully it goes well; be nice to have an occasional riding buddy!!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 09:09:44 PM »
Anyone have advice on salt/electrolyte replacement? What works, what doesn't, most cost effective.

Century is one of my goals for 2015. Currently up to a bit over 40 miles. Food seems okay - do need to carry more than I have been - but definitely having issues with muscle soreness. Not outright cramping, but I wonder if adding some salt will help - especially as it's commonly recommended.

Saltstick caps on Amazon are widely liked, but $20/100 caps seems steep. Or maybe not?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »
Potato chips

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 05:36:28 AM »
6 a.m. 36 degrees and I didn't die! #winning

After a decent camping weekend and gaining 6 pounds I figured I better add in some extra cardio this week and ride to work again. It should be much warmer by 4pm.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »
Went to four different bike shops this weekend but only spent $15 (pretty new brass bell), and I had my heaviest riding week in a long time - around 80 miles, all of it transportation cycling, 2/3 on my Trek7.3fx and 1/3 on my 50-lb Pashley Princess. Good times!

Cheryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
First time doing this, I guess I'm confused by how it works.  How do I actually log miles?

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
First time doing this, I guess I'm confused by how it works.  How do I actually log miles?

The main spreadsheet has a bunch of sub-sheets (look for tabs at the bottom) with everyone's names on them. Look for the tab with your name - the rest should be pretty clear.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2015, 11:07:31 AM »
Didn't get as many miles yesterday as I had hoped.  I had to go to work for a few hours Sunday morning, which did get me 6.2mi commuting.  Saturday afternoon before going to a wedding reception I squeezed my road bike rear tire out of habit and noticed it was squishy.  Also the new chain I had put on was still skipping in the small ring.

After getting back from work I immediately went to work on fixing the road bike.  After removing two more links and checking if it shifts into gears I noticed that I can't shift into the largest cog while in the big ring, too much tension.  So I painstakingly remove the chain again, put another link in and try it again.  This time I notice something funny about my rear derailleur, there are grooves in the tab by the jockey wheel.  I suddenly realize with horror what the sound I heard yesterday on my 23mi ride.  Having been the first time I've replaced a chain on this style of derailleur I didn't realize that I had strung the chain on the wrong side of the tab.  It had rubbed approximately 337,000 links.  After adding one link back from the two I removed the tension was still too high, but better.  Realizing now that the reason it was skipping may have been due to the chain being strung wrong I put the last link back in and now everything shifts well.

I took the bike out for a short ride, thought about my options and decided on a road that was pretty close and had a good 6-8% grade on it.  Got over to the uphill spot, braked to a really low speed, then shifted into the small ring and put as much power into it as I could, no skipping.  Got up a ways and found a spot to turn around, and since this was a bowl shaped hill I got to try it again, with this section being steeper I was in the small ring, largest cog, and everything was fine, to my relief.

I'm pretty sure that the damage to the tab won't affect anything, since generally speaking the tab shouldn't be touched anyway and the damage is on the wrong side of it.  As for the chain, well, time will tell I guess.  Each link hit about 3,300 times, and I did remove and add back on two links which have the special factory set pins, and I removed the pin on the same link at least 4 times.  This is a lesson that only needs to be learned once though, and I learned it.  Sharing with everyone else so you don't make the same mistake.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »
Didn't get as many miles yesterday as I had hoped.  I had to go to work for a few hours Sunday morning, which did get me 6.2mi commuting.  Saturday afternoon before going to a wedding reception I squeezed my road bike rear tire out of habit and noticed it was squishy.  Also the new chain I had put on was still skipping in the small ring.

After getting back from work I immediately went to work on fixing the road bike.  After removing two more links and checking if it shifts into gears I noticed that I can't shift into the largest cog while in the big ring, too much tension.  So I painstakingly remove the chain again, put another link in and try it again.  This time I notice something funny about my rear derailleur, there are grooves in the tab by the jockey wheel.  I suddenly realize with horror what the sound I heard yesterday on my 23mi ride.  Having been the first time I've replaced a chain on this style of derailleur I didn't realize that I had strung the chain on the wrong side of the tab.  It had rubbed approximately 337,000 links.  After adding one link back from the two I removed the tension was still too high, but better.  Realizing now that the reason it was skipping may have been due to the chain being strung wrong I put the last link back in and now everything shifts well.

I took the bike out for a short ride, thought about my options and decided on a road that was pretty close and had a good 6-8% grade on it.  Got over to the uphill spot, braked to a really low speed, then shifted into the small ring and put as much power into it as I could, no skipping.  Got up a ways and found a spot to turn around, and since this was a bowl shaped hill I got to try it again, with this section being steeper I was in the small ring, largest cog, and everything was fine, to my relief.

I'm pretty sure that the damage to the tab won't affect anything, since generally speaking the tab shouldn't be touched anyway and the damage is on the wrong side of it.  As for the chain, well, time will tell I guess.  Each link hit about 3,300 times, and I did remove and add back on two links which have the special factory set pins, and I removed the pin on the same link at least 4 times.  This is a lesson that only needs to be learned once though, and I learned it.  Sharing with everyone else so you don't make the same mistake.

So if my chain "skips" it may be too long? Mine and my wife's bike tend to jump gears and random. Mainly when in low gear high pressure. Like going up hill in lowest gear and like standing pedaling. idk the right terminology but the skipping is annoying.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2015, 01:38:52 PM »
So if my chain "skips" it may be too long? Mine and my wife's bike tend to jump gears and random. Mainly when in low gear high pressure. Like going up hill in lowest gear and like standing pedaling. idk the right terminology but the skipping is annoying.

Could be your chain is stretched out or your cassette is worn (or both - a worn chain will wear on the cassette). If your chain is stretched out removing a link won't help, because it's the actual space between the links that's the problem. Or it could be bad shifting hygiene - shifting while pedaling for example. Chains and cassettes are pretty cheap to replace though, so it's no big deal. Your local bike shop will have a tool for measuring how stretched out the chain is, or you can use a ruler, like this.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »

Could be your chain is stretched out or your cassette is worn (or both - a worn chain will wear on the cassette). If your chain is stretched out removing a link won't help, because it's the actual space between the links that's the problem. Or it could be bad shifting hygiene - shifting while pedaling for example. Chains and cassettes are pretty cheap to replace though, so it's no big deal. Your local bike shop will have a tool for measuring how stretched out the chain is, or you can use a ruler, like this.

When changing the chain usually I should measure the previous chain length to see how long it is, generally my chains have been 2-5 links too long.  One problem when changing a worn chain is that due to the stretching of the links (really the wear of the pins, the metal doesn't actually stretch) they settle on the cassette at different points than a new chain will, and this may cause skipping under pressure.  My mountain bike had that problem when I put the chain on without measuring it against the previous chain, so I removed 1 link and road it again, still had some trouble, so I removed 1 more link and now I don't have it skip.  But that was with a new chain, you should never remove links from old chains to try and compensate for wear.

Another method to test is by pulling the chain from the front when it is on the largest ring.  A brand new chain will not even want to leave the chain ring, slightly worn may move up to half way up the teeth, worn and it may be pretty close to the top or even past the teeth.  The ruler method will be more accurate, but for a quick check this can be good.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »
Dipping mum lean no here. Just got a new bike and have started carting the kids around. Currently at about 85 km. figured I've saved 8.50$ so far. Really loving the bike and bike trailer. Next challenge for me will be doing the Costco run with the trailer. Trying to make sure I leave the car behind on days I don't work. My goal is to get my speed and biking fitness up to try biking to work. It's 30 k one way. I hope to be able to do it in about 1h15. Currently it takes me 1h05 on the train and costs me $3.50 each way, so a bit of savings and badassity credit if I can make it. 

jordanread

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2015, 07:09:31 AM »
I'm back with a broken jaw. No riding until my balance comes back (possibly due to the painkillers, but I'm going to try to go ahead and abstain today - I'll have more comments in my Journal), but I'll keep up on the sheet. If there are any questions I missed while skimming through the new replies, post them here.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2015, 08:44:13 PM »
I'm back with a broken jaw. No riding until my balance comes back (possibly due to the painkillers, but I'm going to try to go ahead and abstain today - I'll have more comments in my Journal), but I'll keep up on the sheet. If there are any questions I missed while skimming through the new replies, post them here.

Yikes! sorry to hear sir. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2015, 05:36:00 AM »
No rush Jordan. Take your time and heal up and read a lot.

I almost got hit on my bike last night. People can't share the road, especially in construction zone. One curve is being worked on for a new sidewalk and the road narrows. People in vehicles don't seem to understand that they have to share the road. It's only for about a 100 feet so slow down and let me in.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »
My philosophy when riding on city streets is to assume everyone is a deranged 16 year old that doesn't see me or is actively looking to ride me off the road.  I'd look to find an alternate route than that road for the time being.  It's safer that way.

No rush Jordan. Take your time and heal up and read a lot.

I almost got hit on my bike last night. People can't share the road, especially in construction zone. One curve is being worked on for a new sidewalk and the road narrows. People in vehicles don't seem to understand that they have to share the road. It's only for about a 100 feet so slow down and let me in.

Or you take the lane WELL ahead of the narrowing.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »

Or you take the lane WELL ahead of the narrowing.

Yeah, and don't be shy about *really* taking up the whole lane - so that it is actually impossible for people to pass you (if you need to to be safe). Just be careful when you go back to the side of the road - some assholes will pass you very fast.

jordanread

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »
Of course I then messed up the day, and didn't realize we were on a new month. The new sheet is available at the link below, and welcome to the 9 new members.

May Cycling Challenge 2015 Forum Post

Thanks for all the well wishes guys, but the injury was caused doing that super stupid and dangerous thing...driving...or so I've heard.

Edited to fix link.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:57:59 PM by jordanread »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
Jordan, you mis-formed the URL above. Just an FYI.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »
May Cycling Challenge 2015 Forum Post For those who need a little help fixing the link.  FYI It's because you put quotations around the link (I did the same thing when trying to fix it, but figured if I'm fixing it I should make sure it works :-D).

jordanread

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2015, 11:04:16 PM »
Fixed up thread, but here is the corrected link:

May Cycling Challenge 2015 Forum Post

Mad props to TGC and ohyonghao for catching my mistake.