Author Topic: Anyone interested in a buy nothing (or buy almost nothing) challenge for 2023?  (Read 9352 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
@JenniferW, I am going to respond one final time, then I'm going to leave this alone.

You can "what if" ad infinitum.  Maybe the china from my parents' house can be sold for 5x its original purchase price in 20 years because it has become rare?  Is that then named an investment?  Maybe I should start buying beanie babies or bobbleheads or baseball cards because they *might* be worth more someday? 

The truck was not purchased as an investment.  The original purchaser has not stated his intent with this vehicle.  But buying something known to be a depreciating asset and then telling yourself it is an investment because you may be able to sell it for more later is not investing, it is speculating.
You don't have to repeat yourself.  You aren't getting my point obviously though. In the short term it is an investment because he's fixed the car and can get twice what he paid for it.  In bookkeeping software it increases net worth.   Say he spent $2000 and he *knows* he can get $4000 for it now, he just increased his net worth by $2000.  Net worth goes by current fair market value of your property.

The only reasoned I mentioned this is because I don't think it should disqualify him from "buy  nothing" challenge because he hasn't "spent" anything at all.  Since it's worth twice what he paid of for it, that easily allows him to cover the title transfer, registration and insurance on it for the time being.  He could always sell it when his total expenses for the vehicle starts to approach the fair market value, and not have lost any money; if he sells it for more than his total expenses over a longer period of time it would therefore be a long term investment (over one year).  But for the time being it is definitely a short term instant gain.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:38:32 AM by JenniferW »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
@JenniferW, I am going to respond one final time, then I'm going to leave this alone.

You can "what if" ad infinitum.  Maybe the china from my parents' house can be sold for 5x its original purchase price in 20 years because it has become rare?  Is that then named an investment?  Maybe I should start buying beanie babies or bobbleheads or baseball cards because they *might* be worth more someday? 

The truck was not purchased as an investment.  The original purchaser has not stated his intent with this vehicle.  But buying something known to be a depreciating asset and then telling yourself it is an investment because you may be able to sell it for more later is not investing, it is speculating.

It was certainly speculation (aka a calculated gamble).  After taxes and insurance, parts and a tank of gas running around, and my time, I’m into it for more like 60% of Kelly Blue Book, plus I’ll need to do a bit more to it cosmetically if I’m going to get all the money for it, and there’s still no guarantee what I’ll get for it.  I’m probably going to run it for the summer and see if it’s practical to keep, and if it isn’t adding any value to me, I’ll list it in the fall. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Still going well on my end.

Haven't bought anything recently physical except groceries and oh yes, one e-book that I couldn't get from the library.

Had a few more cravings for actual real-life things (spring clothing, an ice cube tray, mountain bike--ha). But so far am holding out & working with the things that I have and trying not to justify too much too soon since for me it's a slippery slope.

Will aim to do a repair project or two today.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:22:41 PM by Serendip »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Still going well on my end.

Haven't bought anything recently physical except groceries and oh yes, one e-book that I couldn't get from the library.

Had a few more cravings for actual real-life things (spring clothing, an ice cube tray, mountain bike--ha). But so far am holding out & working with the things that I have and trying not to justify too much too soon since for me it's a slippery slope.

Will aim to do a repair project or two today.

Awesome job!  But wouldn't the ice cube tray be a necessity?  And perhaps shouldn't count against you for the challenge?  For me personally I am doing a buy nothing related to discretionary items only.  I'd expense an ice cube tray under Household:Kitchen much like a needed utensil.  Or maybe you have another ice cube tray and the one you wanted made cute little animal ice cubes or whatever ? :)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
@Serendip back when I was super minimalist I made and ice bag out of a linen kitchen towel then froze ice in random containers and crushed it in the bag with a hammer.  Crushed ice is superior to tray ice.  I’m not minimalist anymore and ice cube trays came with my house, but I thought I’d pass that idea on.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Ah, an update on the icecube tray situation :)

I realized that we must have one somewhere since we froze heaps of pesto last summer and found a silicone one in a different cupboard (my partner is more organized than I am so he must've tucked it in there).

Thanks for the input @JenniferW  & @PMG but seems like it was a mislaid desire, sometimes we already have exactly what we need. ha.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
@Serendip, that sounds like a perfect solution.  It's like shopping in the back of your closet!

I feel like we've been purging for years.  We've moved multiple times in the past 10 years, each time a downsize and/or a calculated move to bring us to FI.  We *still* occasionally happen upon an item we forget we still own. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
@Serendip, that sounds like a perfect solution.  It's like shopping in the back of your closet!

I feel like we've been purging for years.  We've moved multiple times in the past 10 years, each time a downsize and/or a calculated move to bring us to FI.  We *still* occasionally happen upon an item we forget we still own.

That's funny @Josiecat23503 --I do a post now & then in my journal under the heading Shopping in My House..ha. I think many of us forget certain things we own if everything is not in constant rotation. Keeps it interesting to find items!

billygoatjohnson

• Stubble
I hate owning/buying stuff. I don't get it.

I have some gear for outdoor activities. Once you buy it, it's good for 10 years. Bike, skis, tent, etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 07:56:57 AM by billygoatjohnson »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache

I have some gear for outdoor activities. Once you buy it, it's good for 10 years. Bike, skis, tent, etc.

Yeah I know what you mean.  I try and buy stuff that lasts a lifetime and buy it used at well below fair market value, that way if I need to get rid of it, I get all my money back.   Just bought four Emeco Navy 1006 chairs for $50 each; they retail for $720 each and last forever (150 year warranty).. indestructible chairs.   They just happen to be functional minimalistic chairs as well -- but I didn't buy them because of that.. I just thought they looked cool and were a good value.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache

Yeah I know what you mean.  I try and buy stuff that lasts a lifetime and buy it used at well below fair market value, that way if I need to get rid of it, I get all my money back.   Just bought four Emeco Navy 1006 chairs for $50 each; they retail for $720 each and last forever (150 year warranty).. indestructible chairs.   They just happen to be functional minimalistic chairs as well -- but I didn't buy them because of that.. I just thought they looked cool and were a good value.

That is an amazing value on those chairs! I got mine at cost over a decade ago and I thought that was a good deal - $50 bucks is a steal!

My Navy chairs are still my favorite furniture in my house. Also the seats are small enough that they are the most versatile furniture we own, they tuck in just about anywhere. And they are handmade by well paid artisans, using recycled materials, in the US! Win/Win all around.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache

That is an amazing value on those chairs! I got mine at cost over a decade ago and I thought that was a good deal - $50 bucks is a steal!

My Navy chairs are still my favorite furniture in my house. Also the seats are small enough that they are the most versatile furniture we own, they tuck in just about anywhere. And they are handmade by well paid artisans, using recycled materials, in the US! Win/Win all around.

If you need more of them, the lady I bought them from in Oklahoma has like 80 more for $50 a piece.  She bought like 150 of them for $15 a piece from a closed down Arby's .. crazy!   Here they are with my $25 table I bought from Facebook marketplace.. ignore the walls.. still need to finish trim paint and put the mop boards back on.  (Lamp and vases were free, artwork on wall is from a japanese calender I bought for 50 cents from flea market, and the menu card holder is $1.25 acrylic 5x7 portrait frame from Dollar Tree.)  EDIT: these are how the chairs looked right after I bought them, before I polished them.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:16:35 AM by JenniferW »

billygoatjohnson

• Stubble

This is the way

StarBright

• Magnum Stache

If you need more of them, the lady I bought them from in Oklahoma has like 80 more for $50 a piece.  She bought like 150 of them for $15 a piece from a closed down Arby's .. crazy!   Here they are with my $25 table I bought from Facebook marketplace.. ignore the walls.. still need to finish trim paint and put the mop boards back on.  (Lamp and vases were free, artwork on wall is from a japanese calender I bought for 50 cents from flea market, and the menu card holder is $1.25 acrylic 5x7 portrait frame from Dollar Tree.)  EDIT: these are how the chairs looked right after I bought them, before I polished them.

Oh my gosh- yes! Please feel free to message me the contact info or link. My son has a small desk that needs a Navy sized chair and I would love to have my 6th dining room chair back at my table.

Your table set up is adorable!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:43:57 AM by StarBright »

Newday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I bought 3 pieces of clothing - all for work that was an exception to my buy-almost-nothing list. - one jacket, one top and a dress. We are at the end of 3 months I've been good so far.

I had put on so much weight during pandemic + high stress year in 2022 that none of my work clothes fit anymore. I'm extremely careful on what I buy - lesser in quantity and high in quality is what I'm going for. I am also hoping to supplement with some sewing from my stash.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
I bought 3 pieces of clothing - all for work that was an exception to my buy-almost-nothing list. - one jacket, one top and a dress. We are at the end of 3 months I've been good so far.

I had put on so much weight during pandemic + high stress year in 2022 that none of my work clothes fit anymore. I'm extremely careful on what I buy - lesser in quantity and high in quality is what I'm going for. I am also hoping to supplement with some sewing from my stash.

Congrats! That is so awesome. You should be proud :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Was at the grocery store yesterday and grabbed a lighter (for incense/candles/etc) and I felt on the edge of being transgressive...shifting baselines are a wonderful thing.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
Was at the grocery store yesterday and grabbed a lighter (for incense/candles/etc) and I felt on the edge of being transgressive...shifting baselines are a wonderful thing.
I bought a pack of lighters because all of ours were completely out, and while matches work for a candle here and there, they are impractical when I'm lighting a dozen or more tea lights for our Advent and Lenten spirals. Indeed, by the time we reach Holy Saturday, I'll be lighting 40 candles.

My edge of transgressive purchase was buying two makeup items while purchasing skincare i'd run out of.  I don't usually wear much makeup (and not daily), but I'll be on stage next month and last time I was on stage I watched the replay and realized I was completely washed out -- natural makeup disappears in the bright lights.  The makeup items were enough for me to get three items I use regularly for free (a moisturizer, summer moisturizer, and cleanser), so it ends up being a wash.  Clinique is just weird like that, a little pricey but working their deals brings the prices down to drugstore levels.  I spent $100 and got $243 of full price product, plus one of the bonus sampler bags (which Clinique claims is worth $107 but wouldn't cost that much on a per unit basis if buying the items full size).  I always wait until they are doing 30% off plus free full size items plus a bonus sampler bag, and then I look for an affiliate offer as well -- so it's only a few times a year.  The skincare and powder with SPF were definitely planned purchases and I'll need to buy more before the year is out.

But really, we are doing astoundingly well with the buy almost nothing challenge.  Hobby spending has ceased, and indeed, after decluttering my library I decided to skip the various used book sales I had previously given myself permission to purchase from.  We're happily wearing clothing and shoes we already own, reading books we own or get from the library, and making things with the hobby materials we have.  I spent the past week rearranging rooms in anticipation of the college kid graduating and moving back home, and managed to create a lovely craft room / office workspace / library using only furniture and organizers we already own.

Must_ache

• Bristles
No, I'm not interested.

SotI

• Bristles
I am in for "almost nothing" - ....
A couple of planned exceptions:
1. A new mattress (but looking for bargains)
2. 1-2 upcoming video games that are scheduled for 2023 releases
3. Minor house and garden maintenance items (only Feb '- April)
4. Occasional op-shop clothing for DH (nothing needed for me)

Q1 done, so far so good: got 1 of the 2 planned video games, but nothing else frivolous, no clothes, no "things".
Got the planned minor house/garden items included painting mats for renovation (kitchen) and net pots for the salad/veg section of the greenhouse (plus some seedlings). Still, very low-key this year.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Happy New Month!

My frivolous spending for March included:
  • $40 for boba juice pearls for daughter's first slumber party
  • $92 to host coffee hour at church - this was a combination of bakery purchased and homemade items. Fed about 30 people a really nice post church lunch so I was pleased with this total
  • $40 annual subscription to a mindful eating app

Also cancelled my Curiosity Stream channel - so we are down to only Prime at this point.

@jnw - I decided to forgo the chairs (because I don't NEED them, just want them) - but thank you for sharing the info with me!

Possible spends coming up on the horizon:
  • Black shoes - I have no black shoes at all after wearing through multiple pairs this winter. May check clearance racks sometime soon.
  • Long sleeved/cool shirts for summer - After several skin spot checks the last few years, I need to cover up better in the summer. Old Navy has linen boyfriend style shirts this year and I'll wait for a sale to grab some.
  • Walking shoes - All my shoes wear out at once. I walk a lot and hips and feet are starting to hurt. It is time for new ones.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Last month was good. $0 discretionary spend.  The four Emeco Navy 1006 chairs I bought for $200 last month were not expensed, but simply a transfer of assets. They are indestructible and impossible for them to depreciate any further.  In fact I can sell for a $100 each if I want later on :)   The $25 dining table and $20 night stand were necessity spends (they were expensed), not discretionary.  Also made an "investment" purchase of more plates, bowls and flatware -- so the dishwashing machine becomes more full each load conserving water, electricity, wear and tear on machine as well as detergent.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 10:28:15 AM by jnw »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache

But really, we are doing astoundingly well with the buy almost nothing challenge.  Hobby spending has ceased, and indeed, after decluttering my library I decided to skip the various used book sales I had previously given myself permission to purchase from.  We're happily wearing clothing and shoes we already own, reading books we own or get from the library, and making things with the hobby materials we have. I spent the past week rearranging rooms in anticipation of the college kid graduating and moving back home, and managed to create a lovely craft room / office workspace / library using only furniture and organizers we already own.

This is so awesome and why I love these challenges. Sometimes it highlights what we already have or have access to!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Good job everyone!
Three months down and a successful challenge for me so far.

I'm excited to do the seasonal change-over and maybe donate some of the things that I've felt obligated to keep (but which I don't love using). It doesn't tend to change so am ready to accept that.

I do need to pick up the fitness program so that all my summer things fit comfortably... since I found a skipping rope while cleaning the other day, I've decided to toss that into the routine. It's actually pretty challenging for me so am starting very small and will build over the next month or two.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
I’ve tried really hard for the last month, and really haven’t bought much at all that I didn’t need.  I got a used tonneau cover for the truck, and that was basically it I think. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Found myself browsing summer shoes online...
quickly shut that down.

I need to do an honest assessment once I take winter gear downstairs and bring up summer stuff. Pretty sure I can make it though the summer with what I have as long as nothing breaks (I have an older pair of water shoes/sandals that I use for canoeing, etc...they showed signs of possible breakage last year but I might be able to repair)

SotI

• Bristles

Q1 done, so far so good: got 1 of the 2 planned video games, but nothing else frivolous, no clothes, no "things".
Got the planned minor house/garden items included painting mats for renovation (kitchen) and net pots for the salad/veg section of the greenhouse (plus some seedlings). Still, very low-key this year.
Q2 not yet over, still so far, so good - DH got some discount biking clothes (wasn't op-shopped but discount specials as replacement for failing/worn-out gear), so I am still counting this under exception 4. Nothing else. My planned video game is coming out in September, I think - and no bargain on matress as of now.
So nothing else bought (other than groceries and pet supplies which don't count towards the challenge. I am counting this as being "on track".

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
It's been 4 months into my $500 or less in discretionary expenses for a year.   (Started on 2/15/23).  I was at $0 spent until a week or so ago.. had to buy my nephew and his wife a water flosser for their gum health -- will significantly improve the quality of their life so had to get it.   Also bought Elden Ring xbox series x game for $30.50.  I'll use until it depreciates to $20 and then sell on facebook.  So a $10.50 expense there.   So sitting at just over $50 discretionary in the past 4 months.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
I want to be in for the second half of 2023.

I'm going to set parameters for myself here and see if I can stick to it.
No discretionary spending, with the following exceptions:
1. Events with friends & family (concerts, skiing, happy hour, whatever). I know this seems like a gigantic exception, because it is. I'll be conscious of moderating and trying to suggest cheap/free activities, but I don't want my active social life to completely disappear. Loneliness is bad for your health, after all. So, basically, if I get invited and I want to go and it seems reasonable, I'm going.
2. Education expenses for my children. And reasonable Christmas gifts for them.
3. Food for the house.
4. Travel that I've already planned, or any additional travel to visit family.
5. Replacing something that actually breaks beyond repair that I actively use.

So, I can ski, but can't buy equipment. I can go to happy hour when I'm invited by my friends, but will get a low priced beverage to be social and head home to eat afterwards. This is the plan.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
I want to be in for the second half of 2023.

I'm going to set parameters for myself here and see if I can stick to it.
No discretionary spending, with the following exceptions:
1. Events with friends & family (concerts, skiing, happy hour, whatever). I know this seems like a gigantic exception, because it is. I'll be conscious of moderating and trying to suggest cheap/free activities, but I don't want my active social life to completely disappear. Loneliness is bad for your health, after all. So, basically, if I get invited and I want to go and it seems reasonable, I'm going.
2. Education expenses for my children. And reasonable Christmas gifts for them.
3. Food for the house.
4. Travel that I've already planned, or any additional travel to visit family.
5. Replacing something that actually breaks beyond repair that I actively use.

So, I can ski, but can't buy equipment. I can go to happy hour when I'm invited by my friends, but will get a low priced beverage to be social and head home to eat afterwards. This is the plan.

Sounds good to me!  Good luck! :)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Happy New Month!

My frivolous spending for March included:
  • $40 for boba juice pearls for daughter's first slumber party
  • $92 to host coffee hour at church - this was a combination of bakery purchased and homemade items. Fed about 30 people a really nice post church lunch so I was pleased with this total
  • $40 annual subscription to a mindful eating app

Also cancelled my Curiosity Stream channel - so we are down to only Prime at this point.

@jnw - I decided to forgo the chairs (because I don't NEED them, just want them) - but thank you for sharing the info with me!

Possible spends coming up on the horizon:
  • Black shoes - I have no black shoes at all after wearing through multiple pairs this winter. May check clearance racks sometime soon.
  • Long sleeved/cool shirts for summer - After several skin spot checks the last few years, I need to cover up better in the summer. Old Navy has linen boyfriend style shirts this year and I'll wait for a sale to grab some.
  • Walking shoes - All my shoes wear out at once. I walk a lot and hips and feet are starting to hurt. It is time for new ones.

And this is additional purchasing since March:

Long sleeve linen boyfriend shirt - Old Navy, hideous tropical palm tree print, will use for gardening. $11.57
Black T-shirt Dress - Old Navy $10.00
Navy and white striped shell - Old Navy $8ish (will wear under my navy or red blazers for church and work).
Long sleeve white SPF shirt - Amazon $17.00
Long sleeve blue SPF shirt - Amazon $21.00
Long sleeve SPF turquoise hoodie shirt - Amazon $48.00 (but was the #1 recommendation outdoor gear lab)
Magic invisible thread for my son - 11.97
All day locker at amusement park (so that I could ride rides with my son) $12.00
Fabric markers for daughter - $9.99
AND - replacing our old car - $24,329

So we were doing really well until the car. Most of the clothes are replacement things for me, or a choice to purchase SPF clothing instead of spending a hundred bucks on sunscreen every summer. We were hoping to keep the car going until 2025 (at which point our waitilisted prius prime plug in would be ready or Bolts would be easier to get) - but the mechanic told us to stop driving it or spend several k on repairs. (more than that car is worth). After a week of looking at HORRIBLE deals on used vehicles, we ordered a new one that should arrive in a month or two.

ahh well. Just have to keep the discretionary low for the rest of the year.

SotI

• Bristles

Q2 not yet over, still so far, so good - DH got some discount biking clothes (wasn't op-shopped but discount specials as replacement for failing/worn-out gear), so I am still counting this under exception 4. Nothing else. My planned video game is coming out in September, I think - and no bargain on matress as of now.
So nothing else bought (other than groceries and pet supplies which don't count towards the challenge. I am counting this as being "on track".

Guess I spoke too early: finally got a special on a suitable matress, so I went for it. That leaves now only the Sept video game as allowable consumable this year.

Nevertheless, my unplanned spending has unfortunately increased now. Not for consumables, but unscheduled vet visits and emergency surgery for one of my pets next week ... And not even sure she will survive (she's already quite old with chronic blood pressure and heart issues). Still, this is what I keep emergency funds for ...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
I am completely terrible at this challenge! I just bought a little side table (used, and much nicer than the one that was there, but I didn't really need it). And then I bought some clothes! The worst offense, as I absolutely do not need more clothes!

So I need to stiffen up and get serious. The second half of the year starts in July, and June's early performance has been awful.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache

So I need to stiffen up and get serious. The second half of the year starts in July, and June's early performance has been awful.

Alright--I'm here with you @Zamboni !
I had a successful first 4 months then bought a few things (first for a trip, then when I was on a trip) but am committed to this challenge for the rest of the year. Let's do this.

Am keen to keep my savings high this year and also to spend most of my time living, working and doing things rather than being in stores, etc. More interesting in the long run to stay engaged than to turn to consumerism for dopamine hits :)

SotI

• Bristles
July was a clusterfuck as far as spending went. Not too much on any goods, but I had to fork out substantial amounts of money for vet bills due to extended surgery for one of my senior pets. She handled it well, though, and her improved quality of life is worth it.

DH also needed extra funds for bike maintenance (repair parts), so I really could not save any money in July (the extra expenses were funded from cashflow).

Trying to catch up in August again.