Author Topic: Anyone interested in a buy nothing (or buy almost nothing) challenge for 2023?  (Read 9245 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
DH gave me some adorable slippers for Christmas that were just a bit too small. I ordered the right size on line with free shipping if sent to the store. The online offer was $10 less than the store, so when I exchanged them, I got $10+ tax back in cash. In the same trip, I took my 98-year-old friend, so we could drive her car since it doesn't get driven much at freeway speeds. She wanted to go to the nearby Dollar Tree. I bought two food items and 2 Valentines for $3.85 total. I'm calling it a win.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Last night I hosted bookclub (we rotate hosting between 10 people, so about once a year) so I spent extra cash on groceries (lasagna/caesar salad/foccaccia), kombucha (for the non-drinkers), lilies for the house and vino.  Everything was technically within my 'grocery' allowance but it felt extravagant nonetheless.

Funny how quickly my baseline is shifting towards lower spending.

I even picked up an extension on my shift at work tonight to cover some of the costs :)

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
I ended up with an unexpected extra expense this week.  Managed to catch the outdoor cat which had been hanging around for about a year, so he's now been snipped.  Also sprung for rabies shot and antibiotic shot because he seems to have some sort of infection.

Right now he's quarantining on an enclosed porch to recover out of the arctic blasts we've been having this week.  So far he's not showing any inclination to turn into a house cat, so may end up a TNR situation back into my yard.  The vet did give me the feral cat rescue price, and his ear has been clipped so folks can recognize from a distance that he's fixed.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
January Review!

- I bought 3 physical presents for friends

- I bought 4 physical things to help me recover from surgery - paper tape, silicone tape, compression vest, and laxatives (yay, pooping!)

- I went to a coffee shop 9 times, and bought 3 seasons of a TV show to stream. Yeah, don't come after me, Bueller. SURGERY.

- I used about 70 gallons of gas and paid $50 in tolls, mostly driving from Charlotte to Boston, yikes.

- I spent 2 nights in a hotel, and ate 5 meals on the road.

- I went to the grocery store 8 (eight!) times, and to the specialty spice store once.

- I mailed two packages.

- I got my haircut once; bought one toaster oven (to replace the one I, whoops, melted) and one Kindle book; had one restaurant dinner; got my car washed after getting back from Charlotte; and paid for a couple 12-month subscriptions.

Not very frugal, or very minimal, but 90% of the extravaganza was during the week I was in Charlotte, plus the 3 days driving back. My will and courage remain strong!

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
i did ok for the month. did waste some $ on groceries ("junk food") that i don't normally eat. i've been working ot for about the last 10 months now and am over it so there were times i didn't feel like cooking.
this is my last week with ot so i'm going to make better choices for feb.

jan spending :
groceries - $184
gas - $32
ebay - $20 for a chest light for running and i hate it (which i thought i might) so that's why i bought a cheap one
running store - $63 for a water bottle and sunglasses
total- $299

i resisted buying running shoes bc i really don't need any. i am going to buy a headlamp for running eventually.

goal for feb spending is $200 or less

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I ended up with an unexpected extra expense this week.  Managed to catch the outdoor cat which had been hanging around for about a year, so he's now been snipped.  Also sprung for rabies shot and antibiotic shot because he seems to have some sort of infection.

Right now he's quarantining on an enclosed porch to recover out of the arctic blasts we've been having this week.  So far he's not showing any inclination to turn into a house cat, so may end up a TNR situation back into my yard.  The vet did give me the feral cat rescue price, and his ear has been clipped so folks can recognize from a distance that he's fixed.

thank you so much for doing that for this cat to make his life better.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
January recap, I bought a winter jacket that was more of a want than a need, as well as the Honda Snowblower that was too good of a deal to pass on.  Other than that, it was all normal grocery and gas and spending on things that were needs for the family.  Probably going to fix up the snowblower over the summer as it could use some servicing and some touch up paint that won’t stick in these temperatures, then sell in the fall. 

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache

thank you so much for doing that for this cat to make his life better.

One of the two indoor cats I've got now started out as an outdoor cat who hung around my back door.  Fortunately we don't get many in my neighborhood or it might be an even bigger impact on the budget. 

I realized after I posted that this could just as well have gone in the Good Deed for the Day thread. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
@Turtle —a good deed AND a worthy spend. Lucky cats to have you around :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Nicely done everybody!

I managed  to get through January with minimal buys besides the groceries (as previously mentioned)—really only picked up books which were ordered in 2022 and a glue stick.

Already noticed an uptick in savings and decrease in time-spent-browsing things online.
Started a travel fund, a root canal fund and my tax fund. One month and it has already made a difference..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:47:08 AM by Serendip »

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
We did really well.  Looking over the accounts, the only unnecessary item purchased was my quarterly liturgical calendar posters that I have on subscription and totally forgot about.  I'm not inclined to cancel the subscription, and as such will add them to my allowed list.

Other than grocery items (food/toiletries/cleaning/paper products), we bought:

:: plumbing parts to fix where the adolescent dog chewed/broke a spigot off a PVC pipe
:: a cord reel for Christmas lights to replace one that broke
:: a bolt of Insul Bright, which I wrote about in a previous post
:: silicone freezer containers, which I wrote about in a previous post
:: silicone storage bags, in process of being returned
:: a box of fire logs
:: parking for an event
:: DH's annual Strava renewal
:: Patreon donations in the amount of $6
:: the aforementioned liturgical posters
:: our annual xml tv listings subscription (used to be able to record over the air digital channels)
:: a $4 Nintendo game download
:: a rug and pad for the dining room, to provide a place for our senior dog with degenerative myelitis to rest comfortably when we are in the front of the house and to be able to stand back up (can't get traction on the wood floors)
:: two fence boards and a box of nails to fix the gap in the back fence created by the rear corner neighbor when they replaced their fence -- sure, their big dog couldn't get through it, but my little dog could.  I don't know why they left a gap (especially since they used our fence post for their last section of fencing) --  maybe they ran out of boards --  but it was easier to fix than complain.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
We were mediocre. Ate out or got take out five times this month — once was for DD’s play date, once was to celebrate Chinese New Year, once was to celebrate our friend’s engagement, and twice were just cuz we felt like it.

Next month, I could work on reducing the amount of snacks we buy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 04:47:40 AM by Freedomin5 »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Just ran across this thread.  I want to do a zero discretionary spend for 90 days.  Will probably try it soon :)

I only have a few more days to go for my 1 year $0 fast/convenience/dining food spend.  I have no problem though buying non-discretionary items when needed though: e.g. shoes/clothing.. but I don’t spend more than say $100 per year on clothing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 04:00:15 AM by JenniferW »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Nope, I love buying stuff

My problem exactly.

Ok, I’ve given it some thought and I’m in for buy (almost) nothing 2023.  A couple exceptions though, anything I buy for the purpose to resell (for example I buy an antique from a garage sale that I then sell online, not that I do that very often but it can happen), as well as anything I buy for myself that I actually use to make money (for example I just recently found a deal on a used tree pruning saw, which I will definitely use to tackle the odd side job). Other than that I’m going to try not to buy anything for myself.  I should be good for personal clothes and work clothes and shoes for the year, and I definitely don’t need to be buying other stuff.  Let the savings begin!

Buying stuff for less than u can sell it for is not an expense but a transfer of assets from cash to say “inventory” in business.   When I buy say a cell phone used for say $250 and know I’ll use it for say 18 months and approximate I’ll get $150 for it then, I expense $100 into Expenses:Phone:Depreciation and add $150 to my fixed assets balance.  So my expense for that month are only $100.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Good work @JenniferW on almost reaching your 1 year goal of no-eating-out :)

My non-buying is limited to physical things (not a set limit for groceries/eating out) but since I’m now doing a pantry challenge for Feb—things are starting to feel much more Mustachian!

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
Today I was thinking about Valentine's Day, and I really wanted to buy a heart shaped cake pan or mini heart shaped cupcake pans, but after a couple of minutes of looking I closed the browser tab and resolved to use what I have.  I could make a heart by combining a square cake and round cake, but that's more cake than we need.  The whole idea came to me because college kid #2 is in charge of planning a Valentine's date and needs to do so frugally, and I thought it would be nice to help come up with food ideas.  DH and I don't care if our Valentine's dessert is heart shaped or not, lol -- I'm actually planning a surprise pie (see below) for our dessert.

So far in February I've purchased vacuum sealer bags and black pens (both needed).  I thrifted a small pie plate that I went looking for intentionally, as I only have huge 10" deep dish pie plates and those are too big for two people, and I want to make DH a pie for Valentine's Day.  While thrifting I also bought a ravioli maker ($9.98), as making ravioli is one of my 2023 goals and now that I've learned to make and roll the pasta dough, ravioli is the next step, a 2 cup measuring cup (for the dog's food) for $1.99 because DH had been asking for one and I finally came across one, and a completely unnecessary Sandra Boynton board book for 99¢ (Snuggle Puppy).  Children's books are a weakness of mine, which is kind of funny since my kids are young adults and I don't know that I'll ever have grandchildren.  But I do have a bin of toys for visiting children, as well as a small library of children's books, including several board books for little ones.

Buying the book reminded me of another exception I intend to grant myself.  My local thrift store does 10¢ books at the end of the end of each month, and it's been almost a year since I've been to one of the sales.  I mostly look for interesting cookbooks and for high quality children's books, and I also look for children's books that I can put into the Little Free Library.  I'm hoping to put up a Little Free Library of my own this year, and had planned to shop the 10¢ sale days to help stock it.

I also give myself permission to shop the quarterly library fundraising book sales and the monthly bag sales.  Hmm, maybe I should just give myself permission to shop for used books and give myself a budget, lol.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
I was going to say that I failed miserably in Jan because I bought several pieces of clothing for work. I went back to the office for  the first time since 2019 last week!

I ended up really thinking about the items and returned all but two of them. I kept a pair of nice jeans (because I don't want to wear obviously patched jeans to the office) and a blouse. I am a clothes minimalist by nature and I have worked mostly remotely for over a decade. It has become very hard to distinguish need from want when it comes to clothing. But I realized I hadn't bought a new blouse since 2019 (and I hadn't bought a long sleeved blouse since 2017!) so I kept one that was particularly flattering.

I did have to throw away a pair of boots. My husband bought them for me in 2009 and the style had just come back into fashion. I wore them to the office and the faux leather in the calf basically disintegrated as I was pulling them off when I got home. I think I can get through the rest of the winter without a new pair  - fingers crossed!

ETA - I have spent approximately 15 dollars on my daughter's latest school project and another $12 for a Sunday school thing. There is only so much time to source free/cheap materials in my busy life :).

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
Today I was thinking about Valentine's Day, and I really wanted to buy a heart shaped cake pan or mini heart shaped cupcake pans, but after a couple of minutes of looking I closed the browser tab and resolved to use what I have.  I could make a heart by combining a square cake and round cake, but that's more cake than we need.  The whole idea came to me because college kid #2 is in charge of planning a Valentine's date and needs to do so frugally, and I thought it would be nice to help come up with food ideas.  DH and I don't care if our Valentine's dessert is heart shaped or not, lol -- I'm actually planning a surprise pie (see below) for our dessert.

So far in February I've purchased vacuum sealer bags and black pens (both needed).  I thrifted a small pie plate that I went looking for intentionally, as I only have huge 10" deep dish pie plates and those are too big for two people, and I want to make DH a pie for Valentine's Day.  While thrifting I also bought a ravioli maker ($9.98), as making ravioli is one of my 2023 goals and now that I've learned to make and roll the pasta dough, ravioli is the next step, a 2 cup measuring cup (for the dog's food) for $1.99 because DH had been asking for one and I finally came across one, and a completely unnecessary Sandra Boynton board book for 99¢ (Snuggle Puppy).  Children's books are a weakness of mine, which is kind of funny since my kids are young adults and I don't know that I'll ever have grandchildren.  But I do have a bin of toys for visiting children, as well as a small library of children's books, including several board books for little ones.

Buying the book reminded me of another exception I intend to grant myself.  My local thrift store does 10¢ books at the end of the end of each month, and it's been almost a year since I've been to one of the sales.  I mostly look for interesting cookbooks and for high quality children's books, and I also look for children's books that I can put into the Little Free Library.  I'm hoping to put up a Little Free Library of my own this year, and had planned to shop the 10¢ sale days to help stock it.

I also give myself permission to shop the quarterly library fundraising book sales and the monthly bag sales.  Hmm, maybe I should just give myself permission to shop for used books and give myself a budget, lol.

I don't know about where you live, but where I am, one of hte local libraries has a cake pan collection, and you can check them out to use, and then return. I wonder whether something like that exists around you, or perhaps buy nothing might offer an option?

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
Today I was thinking about Valentine's Day, and I really wanted to buy a heart shaped cake pan or mini heart shaped cupcake pans, but after a couple of minutes of looking I closed the browser tab and resolved to use what I have.

I don't know about where you live, but where I am, one of hte local libraries has a cake pan collection, and you can check them out to use, and then return. I wonder whether something like that exists around you, or perhaps buy nothing might offer an option?

This is an excellent suggestion! Unfortunately, I checked my city library and the county system and neither of them does that.

However, your suggestion reminded me that I do have a pineapple upside down cakelet pan, so I'm going to float that idea out to my kid.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Today I was thinking about Valentine's Day, and I really wanted to buy a heart shaped cake pan

Dang I just gave away four cake pans, locally.  One of them was heart shaped.  If you were local and I knew you needed one I would of gave it to you.  I don't bake cakes anymore since I'm diabetic. I had bought the pan for 50 cents if I recall, from flea market some years ago.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:42:51 PM by JenniferW »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
Nope, I love buying stuff

My problem exactly.

Ok, I’ve given it some thought and I’m in for buy (almost) nothing 2023.  A couple exceptions though, anything I buy for the purpose to resell (for example I buy an antique from a garage sale that I then sell online, not that I do that very often but it can happen), as well as anything I buy for myself that I actually use to make money (for example I just recently found a deal on a used tree pruning saw, which I will definitely use to tackle the odd side job). Other than that I’m going to try not to buy anything for myself.  I should be good for personal clothes and work clothes and shoes for the year, and I definitely don’t need to be buying other stuff.  Let the savings begin!

Buying stuff for less than u can sell it for is not an expense but a transfer of assets from cash to say “inventory” in business.   When I buy say a cell phone used for say $250 and know I’ll use it for say 18 months and approximate I’ll get $150 for it then, I expense $100 into Expenses:Phone:Depreciation and add $150 to my fixed assets balance.  So my expense for that month are only $100.

Yeah that’s basically how I’ve been viewing it, although I never really sat down and did the accounting work for it.  I really love to find deals on stuff, but I’ve been passing on a lot of deals lately to try to reduce my impulsiveness. 

So far this month I let my wife finally talk me into buying a new, much nicer kitchen knife set, we’ve been using a set of fairly cheap and beat up knives we put together from garage sales etc for almost nothing for the last 12 years.  She spotted a new set that was 85% off and seemed like a deal, so we gave in.  I also bought a few tools at auction I didn’t explicitly need, but they might be useful at some point and it was definitely a deal.  So not the greatest start to Feb, but I have been passing on a lot of things and really trying curb my habits

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
^Better knives are allowed. Crappy knives are actually dangerous.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Totally agree!

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
Totally agree!
Plus once you buy good knives you're done for the rest of your life.  We bought a set of Zwilling Pro S knives 30 years ago and still use them everyday.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache

Haha, so actually funny story, a few months ago I got up early in the morning as usual and started getting breakfast and lunch ready for myself for later in the day as well as lunch to send with DD to school, I was a bit tired and I don’t remember what I was cutting but I grabbed a crappy knife that I knew doesn’t cut well anymore and when it didn’t cut properly I slammed my other hand onto the back of the knife to force it through… or so I thought.  Turns out I was cutting with the wrong side because I was still a little groggy and slammed my hand down onto the blade.  Kinda good thing it wasn’t razor sharp, but also I never would have done that if I wasn’t used to it being a useless piece of garbage to begin with.  Got lucky it did almost no damage to my hand.  I absolutely will not be doing that without double checking now that we have new knives

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
@K_in_the_kitchen could you arrange cupcakes in a heart shape and frost them together?!  I see that all over social media. Leftover cupcakes are then easy to freeze for later.

Today I was thinking about Valentine's Day, and I really wanted to buy a heart shaped cake pan

Dang I just gave away four cake pans, locally.  One of them was heart shaped.  If you were local and I knew you needed one I would of gave it to you.  I don't bake cakes anymore since I'm diabetic. I had bought the pan for 50 cents if I recall, from flea market some years ago.

Seahorse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Today I was thinking about Valentine's Day, and I really wanted to buy a heart shaped cake pan or mini heart shaped cupcake pans, but after a couple of minutes of looking I closed the browser tab and resolved to use what I have. 

YouTube has a few videos on how to make heart shaped cake out of round cake pan. Looks simple and definitely heart like! This method requires icing to stick the cut out parts and icing to cover on top.. so if you were planning to make a non-icing cake, this wouldn't work.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Ay carumba @JAYSLOL --that could've been really painful.

So far doing well nothing bought outside of my guidelines (because I did buy tickets for my mother & I to travel but that was anticipated and even welcomed)..

This challenge is turning out to be perfectly timed since I have the trip coming up in June and met with a dental specialist yesterday who confirmed that I need a root canal (with no dental coverage)...so I'm thankful that I've been keeping ALL my spending in check.

Means that I'm not feeling stressed about these other high costs which are coming up. And still not feeling any sense of lack or want, which makes it much easier.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
I do appreciate the cupcake idea as well as the one to make a larger heart shaped cake by combining a square and a round.  However, this was intended as a dessert for two people (college kid #2 and partner) and has to be gluten free.  I've moved on from working on how to help make a dessert, as college kid #2 isn't showing any initiative.  I'm already cooking dinner for them (I offered), and I've decided to let college kid #2 figure out dessert without me.  I'll be making a gluten-full dessert for DH and I, lol.

One thing this challenge is reminding me of is how much I love to cook, bake, and decorate for holidays, special days, feast days, and liturgical seasons.  Yesterday I decorated for St. Valentine's Day, and remembered that I'd been interested in buying pink twinkle lights last year but didn't think of it in time.  Because of the challenge this year I didn't even look at buying them.  Then I wanted pink taper candles because I've burned all of my red and white candles and only have unbleached beeswax tapers which don't look nice in the pink candle holders.  I did look at those online, but then decided that for this year I should make do with what I have and remember to get pink beeswax tapers when I do my yearly candle order at Black Friday/Cyber Monday (which I skipped this year as I felt I had enough to get through the winter, and I do).

The funny thing is that my St. Valentine's decor is all simple and frugal.  I have handmade streamers hanging from the dining room light, made from curling ribbon I've had for 30 years.  There is one little paper "love" banner I printed several years ago, and a paper bunting I bought some time ago at Target for $3.  I have some sheer pink ribbons tied around the lamps, leftover from helping my kid make a corsage 7 years ago.  Then I gather up anything pink or red I happen to have in the house such as the vintage pink candle holders, baskets with red accents, red and white enamel tins, a couple of pink bottles, etc.  It's not that I don't buy anything for the holidays, special days, feast days, and liturgical seasons, but the purchases are either very frugal or very mindful.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:58:04 AM by K_in_the_kitchen »

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
posting now to try to not spend any more $ this month -except for gas and groceries (fruits/vegetables).

feb spending:
groceries - $70
gas - $34
target - $89 for an epilator and underwear (3)
personal - $123 for botox and a haircut (things i only do 2-3 times a year)
total - $316

my goal for feb was $200, but already blew that. new goal: $400

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
posting now to try to not spend any more $ this month -except for gas and groceries (fruits/vegetables).

feb spending:
groceries - $70
gas - $34
target - $89 for an epilator and underwear (3)
personal - $123 for botox and a haircut (things i only do 2-3 times a year)
total - $316

my goal for feb was $200, but already blew that. new goal: $400
Uh...I think it's popcorn popping time. I'll be right back.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Ha! @Dicey  :)

Still doing well--drove by my favourite thrift store yesterday and felt happy to not feel the urge to go in (especially b/c the parking lot was jammed full!)

Newday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've done this challenge once 7-8 yrs ago and it helped create a lot of mindfulness about buying things. I'll sign up for this year.

This challenge would be only for me, not the rest of the family although we are tight on money so we'd be mostly trying to make do, look for alternates and as last option, buy!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
So I had a couple of great weeks, bought nothing, in fact I actually sold a bunch of stuff I didn’t need and donated some things as well… but as of today I think I’ve officially lost this challenge.  I just impulse-bought a truck I absolutely don’t need.  I don’t know why I do these things lol.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
For some reason I'm sort of fixating on my jeans - but I'm determined to get through the rest of the season with my patched jeans for everyday wear.

I noticed yesterday that my patches are wearing thin. These jeans are at least 7 years old and were a hand me down from my mom when she gained weight. I wore them constantly throughout 2020 lockdown. 

I might try to patch them again for fun and to practice my sewing.

Other than the craft materials for church and new blouse and nice jeans to wear in person to the office I've done well so far this year on spending for myself. I am doing a good job not replacing things when they wear out. I've trashed two pairs of shoes that were beyond salvage and a purse that was old and developed an unfixable hole in the bottom. Have not replaced any of those.

I've mended wool socks, my everyday jeans, and the strap on my daughter's bookbag.

I am replacing stuff for the kids (both had shoes falling apart this month), but on the other hand, we are already pretty minimalist and they each only have a single pair of everyday shoes. So I feel like we are starting from a good place! 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
So I had a couple of great weeks, bought nothing, in fact I actually sold a bunch of stuff I didn’t need and donated some things as well… but as of today I think I’ve officially lost this challenge.  I just impulse-bought a truck I absolutely don’t need.  I don’t know why I do these things lol.

Ha—might not receive a super gold star but there’s still 10 months left to buy-less anyhow! Hope you’re happy with the purchase  :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Things are going smoothly so far.

I’m still inspired to keep everything minimal since I have a few big expenditures this year anyhow (travel and dental work) so it’s amazing to have each paycheque go straight to necessary costs and savings (and I made as donation to the White Helmets working in Syria-inspired by some folks in the good deed thread)..

I’m actually using my previously purchased online yoga pass and getting use out of things in the closet which had been neglected. Really would like to focus on health and studying a language this spring and that shouldn’t require any purchases :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:30:16 AM by Serendip »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Totally agree!
Plus once you buy good knives you're done for the rest of your life.  We bought a set of Zwilling Pro S knives 30 years ago and still use them everyday.

Yeah I only hand wash them.  I have had an 8" Victorinox Chef Knife for 15 years now, it will last me forever.  I also have an 8" Shun Chef Knife.  Let's I also have a Victorinox boning knife.  I bought a nice forged German steel set of steak knives for $50 if I recall and like $15 for a good paring knife.   All are German steel (except for the Shun). They all sharpen well on the two sharpening stones I have.  I really like non-serrated set of steak knives since you can sharpen them every so often in a matter of like 15 to 30 seconds each on the stone.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
I'm actually now in a self imposed 365 day challenge to spend $500 or less the entire year on discretionary items.   I'll let ya guys know in this thread how I am doing in a few months.  Gonna aim for a $0 spend but will be happy with $500.   This discretionary category includes all entertainment, dining, fast food, convenience store items, gifts etc..

My 365 day challenge period is Feb 15, 2023 to Feb 15, 2024.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/365-day-challenge-$500-total-discretionary-spending/

So far so good for the $0 but it's only been 7 days :)  (Following is a portion of a Profit & Loss statement from the free Gnucash finance software.)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:38:20 AM by JenniferW »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
I wish I hadn't rebounded into spending after my last no-buy year 5 years ago...it actually didn't happen right away but last year (2022) was such a big year for emotional shopping. Maybe (post) pandemic comfort-shopping? :)

My emotions are so much more stable when spending is in line with my values. While money doesn't bring peace, it can relieve some external stressors that is for sure.
When I was deeply in debt (student loans)- I read this simple quote somewhere and wrote it in the front of my dayplanner... "The simple act of choosing not to spend money so you can save it is a soul soother, a nerve calmer. "

Coming from a family that never seemed to be secure in their financial footing I realize that my nervous system was always a bit high-strung around finances. Love feeling that settle into a lower-stress situation around finances. I love paying bills b/c I have the money to do so, our housing is fairly low cost for a HCOL location and my job situation is pretty ideal for now. Feeling grateful.

*I just googled that quote and found this article.
https://www.times-standard.com/2017/02/03/everyday-cheapskate-your-best-money-year-ever/amp/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 09:00:36 AM by Serendip »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache

Ha—might not receive a super gold star but there’s still 10 months left to buy-less anyhow! Hope you’re happy with the purchase  :)

Definitely some buyers remorse for a bit while I was working on it.  I paid about half of Kelly Blue Book for it because it didn’t present very well (dirty and minor cosmetic issues) and was a bit of a risk, had some unknown engine troubles.  Check engine light was on, but couldn’t read the code because the OBD port was dead, so I went into it blind.  Nobody else was crazy enough to take that kind of risk on it, but I lucked out, OBD port just needed a new fuse, and the engine code was for a stuck open thermostat and failed sensor, which was easy to replace diy for under $100.  No more buyers remorse lol. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Two more days and I'll be one month into my 365 day max $500 discretionary spend.  So far I've spent $0 in discretionary.  Stretch goal is $0 discretionary spend for an entire year.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
Two more days and I'll be one month into my 365 day max $500 discretionary spend.  So far I've spent $0 in discretionary.  Stretch goal is $0 discretionary spend for an entire year.

That’s amazing!  Well done! 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache

That’s amazing!  Well done!
Thanks :)  I didn't feel any sort of deprivation either :)  Enjoying seeing my money gain interest in money market as well :)

Btw, it doesn't look like you had any expense then if you paid less for that truck than you can get for it. It's simply a transfer of assets.  From cash to fixed/discretionary asset.  Any depreciation would be the expense part of the transaction :)  So it was an investment perhaps, and shouldn't count against you with this buy nothing challenge?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 10:40:14 PM by JenniferW »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
Ummmm...unless you are flipping it (immediately going to sell it for more than you paid after repairs) then it is not an investment.   Vehicles are by their very nature a depreciating asset.

No facepunch here and no judgement for buying a truck you can afford.  But calling it "an investment" is not appropriate.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
Ummmm...unless you are flipping it (immediately going to sell it for more than you paid after repairs) then it is not an investment.   Vehicles are by their very nature a depreciating asset.

No facepunch here and no judgement for buying a truck you can afford.  But calling it "an investment" is not appropriate.

Yep, definitely not an investment unless I get more than I paid (and cover my time).  It’s in a bit of a grey area until I decide if I’m keeping it or not, still figuring that out.  And yeah, I feel like facepunches are in order, it may have been a good deal, but it certainly wasn’t a need and definitely at a minimum violates the spirit of the buy (almost) nothing challenge.  Going to work extra hard to avoid stuff for a while. 
Edit: oh, also full disclosure I bought a treadmill the other day (facepalm).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:08:23 AM by JAYSLOL »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache

If he can sell it for twice what he paid for it.. that's a 100% return.   He said he paid 1/2 of kelly blue book value.

My dad bought a 1965 mustang in the 80's.. drove it a long time.  He ended up selling it for five times what he paid for it.

Regardless what I said about it being an "investment" -- I do see your point -- it still isn't an expense by any means, because it had an instant appreciation of about 100%.

I personally like buying old reliable vehicles which have pretty much fully depreciated.  Like I bought an originally $65k Lexus LS400 for $5000 in 2011, and it only lost $2000 in value in the past 10 years.  The car has lost zero in value in the past 5 years.  Seems like any good running car can be sold for at least $3000.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:09:31 AM by JenniferW »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache

If he can sell it for twice what he paid for it.. that's a 100% return.   He said he paid 1/2 of kelly blue book value.

My dad bought a 1965 mustang in the 80's.. drove it a long time.  He ended up selling it for five times what he paid for it.

Regardless what I said about it being an "investment" -- I do see your point -- it still isn't an expense by any means, because it had an instant appreciation of about 100%.

*IF* he can sell it for twice what he paid. That's a big if.  The purchase, as stated by the original purchaser, is not an investment unless he turns a profit on the initial purchase price, plus his time and work performed and the price of the additional parts purchased.

Like I said, vehicles by their nature are depreciating assets.  If it was purchased as a flip, then it is a use of capital which can be recouped in a resell.  However, the purchaser has not stated any plan to resell the item.  Therefore, I stand by my initial statement; this is not an investment, but instead an expenditure.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache

*IF* he can sell it for twice what he paid. That's a big if.  The purchase, as stated by the original purchaser, is not an investment unless he turns a profit on the initial purchase price, plus his time and work performed and the price of the additional parts purchased.

Like I said, vehicles by their nature are depreciating assets.  If it was purchased as a flip, then it is a use of capital which can be recouped in a resell.  However, the purchaser has not stated any plan to resell the item.  Therefore, I stand by my initial statement; this is not an investment, but instead an expenditure.

What if he makes good use of it for say 5 years and sells it for twice what he paid for it?  Is that not an investment? To use a vehicle for free and gain money at the same time?  (Of course there is the registration and insurance to consider).  My dad sure made out on his mustang though :)

Anyways, currently his truck is an investment, but over time it could not be :)  Just have to figure out the depreciation, insurance costs , what practical use you he get out of it. etc.  But in my bookkeeping software this financial transaction would be a transfer of assets with a "unrealized short term gain" of 100% in my equity account.   Money was used to increase net worth -- it's an investment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:19:53 AM by JenniferW »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
@JenniferW, I am going to respond one final time, then I'm going to leave this alone.

You can "what if" ad infinitum.  Maybe the china from my parents' house can be sold for 5x its original purchase price in 20 years because it has become rare?  Is that then named an investment?  Maybe I should start buying beanie babies or bobbleheads or baseball cards because they *might* be worth more someday? 

The truck was not purchased as an investment.  The original purchaser has not stated his intent with this vehicle.  But buying something known to be a depreciating asset and then telling yourself it is an investment because you may be able to sell it for more later is not investing, it is speculating.