Author Topic: Anyone for a New Year's Whole30 (or other diet gauntlet)?  (Read 12691 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Anyone for a New Year's Whole30 (or other diet gauntlet)?
« on: December 28, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »
Not a new year's resolution, but just an ideal time for me to do this and get my diet cleaned up and back on track a bit since I don't have any travel scheduled, and I don't have a million things going outside of work.  This is not a diet per se, it's  just a reset of my usual eating after indulging in a little too much sugar, booze and snack foods during the holidays.

I'm actually starting tomorrow, and plan to go through the 31st, since I leave for a work trip on 2/1, so I guess it will be a Whole34.

For anyone not familiar, Whole30 is stripped-down paleo, so basically meat, eggs, veggies, fruits, fats and nuts.  No sugar, no alcohol, no dairy, no grains, no legumes, no processed anything. 

Anyone with me, or doing any other dietary challenge now that the eat-fest is nearly over?

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
Re: Anyone for a New Year's Whole30 (or other diet gauntlet)?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
Sure, I'll join in!

Breakfast today: peanuts, an omelet with a banana. Do you know of any resources that help meal plan on a paleo diet?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »
Here are some Whole30-specific pages:

http://whole30.com/new/

http://meatified.com/category/first-whole-30/

http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/post/71747675333/prepping-for-the-whole-30

For paleo info/recipes, I like Mark's Daily Apple and NomNom Paleo the best.  There are about a million Paleo blogs out there, many of which are geared towards specific things, like budget paleo or specific food allergies.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 10:55:25 AM »
Here are some Whole30-specific pages:

http://whole30.com/new/

http://meatified.com/category/first-whole-30/

http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/post/71747675333/prepping-for-the-whole-30

For paleo info/recipes, I like Mark's Daily Apple and NomNom Paleo the best.  There are about a million Paleo blogs out there, many of which are geared towards specific things, like budget paleo or specific food allergies.

Thank you! :)

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:24:19 AM »
I'll join in!

I'll be adopting a plant-based diet, with a bit of animal protein (mostly fish) thrown in a few times a week. No refined or processed anything, no dairy, and no sweeteners of any sort.

BTW, another great source for Whole30 meal planning and recipes is theclothesmakethegirl.com. Melissa Joulwan has amazing recipes and her posts are fun.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »
I'm in - company would be very helpful!
- I've lost 15 lbs since Nov by eliminating refined sugar, desserts and empty calorie snacks (and adding daily exercise)
- I have 27 lbs to go - will maintain the same diet and exercise as above, but need to stay inspired and focused

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »
Yay, glad to have company!  I'm enjoying my last beer right now (Payette Brewing Mutton Buster).  We threw the ice cream away *sad*, and the whipping cream I put in my coffee is in the freezer. This morning I made ghee, mayo, bone broth and hard boiled eggs.  Need to stock up on cauliflower and avocados. All ready to start first thing in the morning.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
Yay, glad to have company!  I'm enjoying my last beer right now (Payette Brewing Mutton Buster).  We threw the ice cream away *sad*, and the whipping cream I put in my coffee is in the freezer. This morning I made ghee, mayo, bone broth and hard boiled eggs.  Need to stock up on cauliflower and avocados. All ready to start first thing in the morning.

Woo hoo - you GO!

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 03:47:13 PM »
Wife and I do a Whole 30 every January, we're in!

Cyanne

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
I'm in too. I need to shed my winter/holiday weight gain.

FOBStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »
Count me in! Need to detox the last 2 years of weight gain

Mina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 09:31:32 PM »
Hi Everyone!  I'm new to the forum as of tonight and am in on the Whole 30 too!!  Great  idea!

Mina

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »

For paleo info/recipes, I like Mark's Daily Apple and NomNom Paleo the best. 

How the heck do you find any recipes on that site?! It's one big shill.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:46:46 AM »
He posts a recipe every Saturday, but I use that site more for info than for recipes.  He does have products that he markets, but his blog has a lot of good information on it, links to interesting articles and research.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »
Day 3 down.  So far so good.  I'm not gonna' lie; I'd love a glass of wine right about now.  Of course, that just reinforces why I SHOULDN'T have a glass of wine.  Maybe I'll finally get through all the random teas bags I've got in the cupboard instead.  Luckily I never went to crazy with the carbs, so I'm not full on craving them. 

Has everyone else started already, or is tomorrow the big day?

MsWillow

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
I have committed to starting this on Monday. I am transitioning to this in a modified version now to get ready. The other group I belong to gave this link:
http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/12/28/whole30-resources-roundup-2/
I have made the chocolate chili and carnitas. Both were delicious.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 08:53:21 PM »
Contemplating. Following. If I do will probably be more plant-based with smaller amounts of animal protein.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
Contemplating. Following. If I do will probably be more plant-based with smaller amounts of animal protein.

LOL, are you following a similar path to mine? ;)

I'll join in!

I'll be adopting a plant-based diet, with a bit of animal protein (mostly fish) thrown in a few times a week. No refined or processed anything, no dairy, and no sweeteners of any sort.

BTW, another great source for Whole30 meal planning and recipes is theclothesmakethegirl.com. Melissa Joulwan has amazing recipes and her posts are fun.

I tried doing paleo and failed miserably.  It worked, but... I *need* my grains. 

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
Being good so far.  It helps that I'm at home, away from all of the tempting treats at work. :)

Recently, I've been eating more traditional Korean foods (pretty healthy, not to mention I need to use up stuff in my kitchen per another gauntlet).

So I've been eating seaweed soup (miyeok guk) and bean paste stew (deonjang jigae) with a bit of brown rice.  Kabocha squashes for breakfast (they were 5lbs for $1 a few weeks ago, still working my way through them).

So far I haven't been craving any sweets or processed foods, but then again, I'm only on day two...

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 09:13:25 PM »
Haha. Sure am! I can't eat a lot of meat. And would be happy being vegetarian.
that's my thing, too. I need my grains. Small amounts is fine with me. I'm happy to adopt to major veggies.
Paleo failed for me, too. because of the meat, meat, meat.

Hmmm, sunnyca... Wholesome food, small amounts of animal protein, less grains & legumes, no dairy, no processed, no sweetners.... all for it!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
Yay, Chippewa! 

On tomorrow's menu- roasted cauliflower and onion soup.  Yum!

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 09:24:18 PM »
So far so good y'all. Chicken and broccoli omelette yesterday morning, grilled chicken and pan - fried chicken nuggets yesterday afternoon. More grilled chicken this morning, tacos tonight ("tortillas" made of coconut milk, Almond flour, and Tapioca starch).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »
Good here too, Day 5.  Made a big batch of Tom Kha Gai soup for dinner.  Yum!  Big plate of homefries this morning because taters are Whole30 approved!  Went hardcore paleo last night with a plate of liver and onions... urm... edible I guess.  Probably red flannel hash for breakfast/brunch tomorrow.

Living without grains is easy (until it's time for pizza).  It's the cheese and wine that I miss, but am missing them a little less each day.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 06:53:33 PM »
Week 1 down, easy peasy.  But then, I've been at home by myself most of the time, so not too much temptation right in my face.  Might be harder after DH gets home tomorrow night, but maybe I can talk him into doing it with me.  I know he's feeling the effects of the holidays too.

BTW, NomNomPaleo.com is doing a Whole30 recipe every day this month for anyone needing inspiration. http://nomnompaleo.com/ 

Also, for anyone doing a more plant-based challenge, Whole9 has this vegetarian/vegan shopping list for your consideration.  It has some things on it that aren't paleo, but considered less likely to cause allergies, inflammation or other issues.  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf

FOBStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »
Day 5 for me too and so far have been doing great! Still a lot of chocolates at home but not been tempted. Something's gotta be said about New Year's motivation.

Will begin my workouts tomorrow, hopefully that will not kickstart my cravings.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Doing well so far.. Just cooked up a batch of lentil-bean chili in my new Instant Pot!  Added dinosaur kale and peppers from the garden, as well.  Yummy!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
I didn't realize Whole30 had a vegan/vegetarian list. Thank you for the link.

I have pork posole in the slow cooker. Can't wait until its ready. Served with shredded cabbage, dried oregano & radishes.

Edit: added extra hominy. Topped with lots of cabbage and dried oregano. Topped w diced avocado, half. Served with two radishes.

Not sure if hominy is whole30 friendly, but was So yummy!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:49:33 PM by Chippewa »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »
Doing well so far.. Just cooked up a batch of lentil-bean chili in my new Instant Pot!  Added dinosaur kale and peppers from the garden, as well.  Yummy!

Ooh, keep us updated on what you're making in your Instant Pot and how you like it.  I am seriously jonesing for one, but feel guilty because I just bought a really cool pressure cooker set like 2 years ago.

Pre-cooking for the week right now:  hard boiled eggs, cut up raw veggies, beef liver pate, and baked sweet potatoes, acorn squash and spaghetti squash (all from the garden, for bonus points).  Looking at that menu, I think I'm going to run there and make up some fruit salad too.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 09:06:15 PM »
LOL- the Instant Pot was a Christmas present to myself, which I justified as I didn't have a pressure cooker and there was a coupon...

I'll definitely keep everyone updated on the Instant Pot.  Any recipe requests? :)

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »
I'm in!  I'm doing a Whole 30 with my husband, sister and a couple of our friends.  Mine is actually starting tomorrow, when I have to return to real life, AKA work.  I think I'll miss my heart-healthy red wine the most! :P

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
Good morning!  Today is the 1/3 mark if you started on New Year's Day.  How is everyone faring?  I found these daily Whole30 logs, which I thought were helpful or at least interesting, so I'll share:
http://www.myprimalprovisions.com/whole30/
http://goodcheapeats.com/my-whole-30-eating-plan/

Sunnyca - what I'm really curious about with the Instant Pot is how well the searing function works (or I guess it's saute?), and how versatile the timer is for slow cooking.  I'm intrigued by the yogurt feature too, but of course that would have to wait until after Whole30. 

I'm on Day 13 and doing well.  The only place I've been a little loose with the rules is using pesto I made over the summer, which has a little bit of cheese in it, having some *tiny* bits of maple syrup in the coconut coffee creamer I've been using, and also adding sugar-containing homemade relish to my tuna salad.  So I'm not perfect, but pretty good.  Absolutely no grains or sweets.  Oh, I've been eating too many nuts, too.  Trying to knock that off and gnaw on raw veggies instead. DH got home from his trip and agreed to not bring any beer or chips into the house for the rest of the month.

I'm still waiting for the surge of energy I hear about with this.  I've been sleeping well and having long, boring dreams every night, but I want to sleep for like 10 hours each night, then I have kind of moderate energy throughout the day, except for Thursday when I was nearly falling asleep at my desk in the afternoon.  I actually thought I'd feel better than this.  Workouts have been OK - I did knock out a 500 meter row PR without trying last weekend, and ran some sprints 'cause I felt like it on Tuesday, but Thursday I did my 100 kettlebell swings and had no desire to do anymore.  Kind of weird.  I know we're not supposed to weigh in for the 30 days, but I have, and I'm down 3 pounds so far, which is nice.  6 by the end would be fantastic.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
That's how I'm eating every day. Except for some added white rice.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
I'm doing this in solidarity (and to hopefully lose a pound or two), but to be honest I don't really get it. We're on day 10. I don't feel different at all, except that I haven't crapped solid since Jan 5th. Seems like pseudo-science garbage. Oh well. I think 30 days will be the longest I've gone without a drink since I started university, so I'm due for a break.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
I am missing the magic too, Garth.  At least on the physical side.  My belly does look flatter, and I'm down a couple pounds, but I don't have the roaring energy and mental clarity people talk about.

However, I don't think it's BS, either.  I'm 17 days in and have found it to be a valuable "re-baselineing" of my habits and feelings about food and alcohol.  Knowing that I can easily go 30 days without eating any crap whatsoever is kind of freeing and I think it will help me pass up the donuts and candy that show up at the office, and skip the evening glass of wine more frequently during the week.  It's also been easier to deal with meals and cooking; the limited choices reduce decision fatigue I guess.  I'm thinking of just doing this permanently Monday-Friday, with a couple minor exceptions because I do miss having bleu cheese on my salads!

Sorry about your butt, hope you get your shit together soon!

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »
I don't think it's all BS. Our normal diet is pretty close to the Whole 30. But the ban on legumes and rice is odd to me. I don't get the reasoning and am not convinced that cutting these out (or cutting grains out) is "healthier". I agree that it's a fun challenge though. We were thinking of doing the same thing: Whole 30 eating M-F and then allow ourselves to go nuts on the weekends.

Edit: Another thing I really don't like is that we're eating a lot more meat with this diet, I guess to help keep us feeling full. Meat every day is not my preference. However, our dining out spending has fallen dramatically, as you might expect. We've been out once, for oysters and club soda.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:27:23 PM by garth »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
That looks delicious, Chippewa!

Need to figure out what we're having tonight.  I think DH is getting depressed at the empty fridge, but I'm picking up Bountiful Baskets tonight, so don't want to do any shopping until I see what produce we get.  He's going to break and go back to buying chips and ice cream if I don't figure something out though.

jordanread

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
All right, I'm debating on joining this one. I think I might need to reboot my primal lifestyle (beer), and the Whole30 seems like it might be a good option, especially considering that people I know IRL are doing it too. I'm going to dig through some of the nomnom recipes and see what I can do. I do love cheese, though.

So right now, just commenting to follow.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »
2 weeks down y'all! Been eating on butternut squash lasagna, meatballs, steamed broccoli, roasted squash+eggplant, and jalapeno omelettes all week. Tonight we're gonna have steak and shrimp with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus or Brussels sprouts.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
All right, I'm debating on joining this one. I think I might need to reboot my primal lifestyle (beer), and the Whole30 seems like it might be a good option, especially considering that people I know IRL are doing it too. I'm going to dig through some of the nomnom recipes and see what I can do. I do love cheese, though.

It's just 30 days.  Think of how great the cheese will taste when you get to have it again!  If NomNom is too complicated (some recipes are easy, some aren't), you might check out Stupid Easy Paleo.  Also the Good Cheap Eats blog did a Whole30 log, which I linked to above.  That should give you some straightforward meal ideas.

Sounds like great eats, Philociraptor.

Last night we had gorgeous t-bone steaks topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions, a small baked potato with ghee and some steamed broccoli.  "Is this all allowed on the diet?" DH wanted to know.  Yep, what deprivation! 

jordanread

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »

It's just 30 days.  Think of how great the cheese will taste when you get to have it again!  If NomNom is too complicated (some recipes are easy, some aren't), you might check out Stupid Easy Paleo.  Also the Good Cheap Eats blog did a Whole30 log, which I linked to above.  That should give you some straightforward meal ideas.

Actually, I'm chatting with some folks right now as far as the drinking goes, and I'm thinking of temporarily stopping our bulk cooking on the weekends, so that I can fill my afternoons with cooking something new every day. Complexity doesn't really bother me, and I'm a hell of a cook (if I do say so myself), so the more complicated recipes actually may be a good thing.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
I just saw this thread, but I have been doing a Whole 30 since Jan. 1. So far I'm going strong; the real challenges come if I let myself get too hungry. I was getting so lazy with my paleo diet that has felt really good to cut out all the cheats over the last few weeks.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 08:56:41 PM »
Glad to have you on board, Antioch!  It does feel good to sort of wipe the slate clean, doesn't it?!

Day 22 is done for me.  Yesterday I finally turned the corner and started feeling really good.  Hopefully I'll fare so well throughout the work week.  I've stayed "clean" except for just a little maple syrup here and there, and having a couple of the nut clusters I brought to a work potluck, since they were the cleanest non-fruit option there - little bit of sugar and some puffed millet in that.

Got a bottle of Shiraz sitting there waiting for next Tuesday night.  I think it's the first non-boxed wine I've purchased since finding this site!

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:40 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to a tall glass (or two) of home-made cider at the end of the month.

tracylayton

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
Darn! I just found this thread this morning. I am starting my 30 days today and will finish up Feb. 18th.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
Any idea what a vegan Whole30 diet would look like, or what a typical meal would be (assuming it's possible)? I saw the Whole30 vegetarian meal list, but it still seemed heavy on animal products.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »
Sunnyca - what I'm really curious about with the Instant Pot is how well the searing function works (or I guess it's saute?), and how versatile the timer is for slow cooking.  I'm intrigued by the yogurt feature too, but of course that would have to wait until after Whole30. 

I have the latest version of the Instant Pot, with Bluetooth functionality.  I used the sauté function last night for onions and veggies that I was including in a soup, and it works really well.  I haven't used the timer function for the slow cooker yet, but I have used it for the pressure cooker, which is really awesome- it allows you to write "scripts" so that you can do something like sauté for 10 min, pressure cook on high for 15 min then low for 10, and then keep warm for x. 

I had a coupon, so the Bluetooth Instant Pot was $200, all in.  It's definitely pricey, but well worth it for me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 01:19:45 PM »
Frog girl, we're happy to have you, feel free to keep posting as you go!

Zikoris, vegan would be tough.  I'd think you might need to loosen the restrictions on grains and beans, no processed stuff though, except the fermented products noted on the w30 veg shopping list.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »
Wait, Bluetooth on a pot?!  What does it do?  Do you need that to program the scripts?

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »
Wait, Bluetooth on a pot?!  What does it do?  Do you need that to program the scripts?

The Bluetooth version is awesome.  The theory is that there's only so much information you can put on the keypad of the appliance, so having the app allows you to program in more options.  And you can watch the pot heat up, etc on the app (not remotely, though, unfortunately). 

You need the Bluetooth option to program the scripts, but you can program in certain functions into the non-Bluetooth Instant Pot (I think)- just not as many as you could on the app.  I think the bonus to the Bluetooth version is that it also works in a limited fashion as a sous vide as well- which is another yummy way of cooking. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!