Author Topic: Annihilate Student Loan Debt by December 31, 2013  (Read 35664 times)

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
Re: Annihilate Student Loan Debt by December 31, 2013
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2013, 05:44:24 AM »
Just going to poke my head back into this thread and give a post of encouragement to everyone still on track (and paying off debt much more impressively than I did). 

KatieSSS, it looks like everyone gave you some advice already, but I just wanted to say that I agree that giving yourself an interest free loan from your e-fund to hit that mark of the end of 2013 would be worth it to me as mental motivation.  You get to start 2014 debt free, at the way you've been paying debt that you will no longer have to pay, you will replenish the e-fund in a couple months, and you can feel a major sense of accomplishment having paid almost 17,000 in debt in just 9 months.

Some of these other numbers are staggering, making my 7k paid in 6 months look pretty ho hum.  Keep up the good work all, and envision how that money can grow when you can start moving it into accounts to work for you instead of against you.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »
A little late to the party but figured I would join. I am expecting to wipe my remaining $5500 out at the end of November (December at the latest). Didn't join earlier because I was wiping out the last 10k of credit card debt earlier this year. :)

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »
Katie, you are doing sooo great!! So close..

We are doing horrible...

Here we are..

$9,800(0%)
$23,358 (3.57%)
$64,220 (4.75%)
$97,378 Total

Here we are..

$9,700(0%)
$23,359 (3.57%)
$56,720 (4.75%)
$89,779 Total

Under $90k...wooo hoooo!!!

$88,058 total

Not much progress two months later...sigh..

HARDLY horrible ... you've reduced your debt by $17,000 in 3 months!!! Holy shit! Give yourself a pat on the back!!

Thanks, but i think you have the math wrong :) only $9,320...and about $7k was a lump sum reimbursement check..anyways, thanks for the congrats!

We've been focusing on retirement accounts to lower our AGI to put these federal loans in IBR so we can attack the private loans (and save interest on the fed ones)

Good luck on finding work!! Let us know if anything works out. And great job Katie...sooooo close!!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »
Lentils! That is AMAZING. Way to go! There are a bunch of badass people in here :)

bokonon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2013, 05:36:44 AM »
I wanted to join in on the fun!  My wife and I started focusing on our student loans in December of 2012 with a total balance of $134,000.  Now down to $87,500!  We were actually doing much better during the earlier part of the year but we had some serious car trouble and a few (relatively frugal) vacations over the summer, slowing us down.

I can't wait to resume making our large SL payments next paycheck!  It's so satisfying watching the loans go down and I am really enjoying this thread and the journey with all of you!  I feel like we figured out the "trick" to winning the game.... pay your debt off ASAP and save as much as possible!

Good luck to everyone with the holidays and reaching our end of year loan payoff goals!

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 05:07:54 AM »
Woohoo.

I have also just sent in my last student loan payment (around 3500 euros), which means I have been able to pay off over 15000 this year. Not bad given we've also spent quite a bit on a new bathroom and two holidays.

I'll have to wait for a month or so before they've processed it all (don't know why), but it feels great already not having to pay back any more from 2014 onwards. Looking forward to the confirmation letter!

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
Well done basd!  That's awesome!

inthenavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
Great work everyone!

My husband and I threw down the gauntlet in March, when we found out we were expecting our first baby this December!  We had a combined 60,000 in debt when we were married last December, 2012, the vast majority of which was student loans and one car loan.  My husband also had a small line of credit from buying a new mattress, which we would NEVER do now!  My initial calculations were to have all of our car and student loan debt paid off by our daughter's first birthday Dec. '14.

However, thanks to discovering this blog, and my husband's deployment in July (and the accompanying increase in income and decrease in taxes), we are awfully close to having it all paid off by the end of THIS december!  Basically while my husband has been deployed, we've been living off of 1/2-2/3 of my income (1500), and throwing ALL of the rest at debt.  It is addicting!  Fortunately since we are active duty and our medical costs our covered by Tricare, pregnancy and childbirth will be no cost, but we did have a reduction in my income when I started working 80% to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

MMM has also helped me to realize I can afford to stay home with our baby if we move within bikeable distance of my husbands base when he returns in April and sell one of our cars.  The calculated savings are well over 5k per year because he had a 1.5-2 hour round trip commute before.  At first we were resistant to moving to "the city" (Norfolk) with a new baby, we are small town people, but we realized time together as a family is more important than anything else, and I credit mr MM and this community with helping us see this more clearly.

So even though my husband will miss the birth and first few months of our baby's life, I am really proud of him and thankful that his hard work has provided so much for our family.  We have about 10,700 left to go, and with the sale of our SUV and the last few paychecks before Jan, we should be in the clear with a few thousand extra for savings.

Good luck! 

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »

Thanks, but i think you have the math wrong :) only $9,320...and about $7k was a lump sum reimbursement check..anyways, thanks for the congrats!

Ack! Sorry. I think I double-counted, thinking that the $93k was another loan (such is my life :/ )

Regardless, it's great to pay those lump sums off!

I struggle every day with using our E Fund to pay off a loan. It's killing me that it's just sitting there, while a loan is racking up interest :(  I blogged about it recently, but commenters talked me down from the ledge. We'll see how things are in a month and I might still just go for it.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2013, 07:48:47 AM »
Well done basd!  That's awesome!
Thank you :) It surely feels good.

summersundries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
Hey just wanted to drop in.  Kinda late but yeah.  Just wanted to say, everyone this is super inspiring.  I've been pounding away at 75000$ in student loan debt for 1.5 years now, and every once in a while debt fatigue can set it. Great to see I'm not the only one doing this.  Haven't meet anyone IRL who is also doing this.

KAtieSSS, congrats and good work to everyone who is paying it off!  Woot-woot.

Lithy thanks for putting up that screenshot.  I'm going to be making my last payment on the 50,000$ loan in December, and I can't believe I never thought to get a screenshot of the occasion.  That would have been a waste.  Since it's taken me like the length of 2 pregnancies, it would be like having the baby and forgetting to ever take a picture of it!

Mazzinator, don't despair.  I know how tiring it is at first when you feel like your just spitting into the ocean making 500$ payments on a 75,000 or 100,000$ debt.  It's hard to keep yourself motivated that it is even making a difference.  I don't know if anyone did this or if it was just me but I set myself tiny little goals to keep motivated.  I would just focus on the next mini-goal and the big goal just seemed to happen on it's own.

For example for my 50000$ loan:

Less than 6$/day interest
Less than 45000$
Less than 5$/day interest
Less than 100$/month interest
Less than 40000$ (payed off 10000$!)
25000 (half way there!)
Both loans = to each other
<20000 for this loan (the teen years!)
...etc.

Next to each one (in a totally anti-mustachian move, I admit) I put a reward for achieving that goal.  Always something small like dinner out with friends, movie night, massage, etc.  The funny thing it at first I was doing it for the consumerist goal, then I was practically forcing myself to do the goal, then I just deleted all the goals, as I found the high I got for a few days from reaching that marker point WAY outdid the high I got from spending money I could be spending on reaching the next goal.  inthenavy, you are so right, it becomes addicting to reach another milestone.

I'd also recommend keeping an excel spread sheet with your progress.  I have a screenshot of what mine looked like if anyone cares to see an example.  Did anyone else keep an excel document?  Or am I just that big of a nerd, haha.

Well anyways good job guys.  Thanks for the inspiration to keep going.

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
You're not the only nerd summersundries.  I went a little crazy with the amortization tables myself.

Wanted to post my update - under $20k!!
Graduated June 2012
Balance 3/13/13 $65,017.97
Balance 11/15/13 $19,786.33

I'm slowing down my payments slightly for the rest of 2013.  Financially it makes more sense to throw the rest of my paychecks for the year into my 403(B) - costs a little more in terms of interest but saves me a couple thousand in taxes.  After Jan 1st, I'll pick up again full-steam and hopefully wrap up close to my March 13th goal.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2013, 11:48:37 AM »
Hey just wanted to drop in.  Kinda late but yeah.  Just wanted to say, everyone this is super inspiring.  I've been pounding away at 75000$ in student loan debt for 1.5 years now, and every once in a while debt fatigue can set it. Great to see I'm not the only one doing this.  Haven't meet anyone IRL who is also doing this.

KAtieSSS, congrats and good work to everyone who is paying it off!  Woot-woot.

Thanks, summersundries!

I also don't know anyone in real life doing this. When I talk about paying off my debt people are usually like "that's great, but I'll never be out of debt!" They are usually just making the minimum payment. Many seem to have just accepted that they will always have debt, and that some debts are "good" debt. I just don't agree and hope that I am setting an example!

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »
Same here, Katie.  I mentioned I should be out of debt by spring to a couple of my classmates and their jaws dropped - these are people who went the corporate route (as opposed to nonprofit)  and make a good 30% (at least) more than me.  Even crazier one of them said I have the 10 year payment plan so I'm comfortable with the idea of having this debt for 10 years, doing the minimum auto payment and not thinking about it.  I had to bite my tongue not to explain that freeing up her money earlier could compound significantly in 8 or so years (assuming roughly 2 years to pay it off) not to mention our high interest rate means she'll pay thousands in interest alone.  I guess to some student loan debt doesn't count as debt.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
Same here, Katie.  I mentioned I should be out of debt by spring to a couple of my classmates and their jaws dropped - these are people who went the corporate route (as opposed to nonprofit)  and make a good 30% (at least) more than me.  Even crazier one of them said I have the 10 year payment plan so I'm comfortable with the idea of having this debt for 10 years, doing the minimum auto payment and not thinking about it.  I had to bite my tongue not to explain that freeing up her money earlier could compound significantly in 8 or so years (assuming roughly 2 years to pay it off) not to mention our high interest rate means she'll pay thousands in interest alone.  I guess to some student loan debt doesn't count as debt.

Yep, I have friends that make more than me too, but I manage to be the one paying off debt quicker! I really think people don't truly understand compound interest! It can be your best friend, but also your worst enemy.

fuzzhead1506

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
Did any of you badasses update the 2013 spreadsheet for dollar savings this year? =D

There is an awful lot of money being saved on this particular thread!

Mustachian 2013 $500,000 dollar savings challenge! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am8qaK8Qf80edHpQS3gyZmRIRXFFTTdRUERidzZIb2c&usp=drive_web#gid=0 

TickInTime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
snip
I would just focus on the next mini-goal and the big goal just seemed to happen on it's own.

Less than 45000$
25000 (half way there!)
...etc.

snip

I did this too down to the day and hour as to how much interest I was paying money I was wasting by not being a badass!

The ACH payment just cleared today that brings my student loan balance to 4.50 OVERPAID!!!  I am DEBT FREE!!!!!

ingrownstudentloans

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
I did this too down to the day and hour as to how much interest I was paying money I was wasting by not being a badass!

The ACH payment just cleared today that brings my student loan balance to 4.50 OVERPAID!!!  I am DEBT FREE!!!!!

To quote my students, I am mad jelly of you.  Congrats TickInTime!  I bet it feels good to be paid [reimbursed] by the loan servicer.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »
Congrats, TickInTime!! I'm predicting we'll see a lot of these celebrations as the year winds down. Looking forward to more badass announcements!

summersundries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
Woohoo, good job Tickintime!  That's so cool.  I can't wait to be there.  I'm going to try and get it right on the nose when I make my last payment.  I can see the interest due on the day I login so I can include that in the payment.  So stocked!

tpozywio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
Huzzah! Congratulations!

Lentils5eva

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
snip
I would just focus on the next mini-goal and the big goal just seemed to happen on it's own.

Less than 45000$
25000 (half way there!)
...etc.

snip

Amazing!! I'm so happy for slash jealous of you Tickintime!  I absolutely do the same thing with my mini-goals and I'm so happy with how fast I've been knocking them down.  I think my latest accomplishment was that last month, the interest accruing on the current target of the snowball dipped under $100/month.  The payment I made today will put it under $1000/year.

I am so looking forward to my own announcement of being debt free.  It will be tough to get there during 2014, since I also have to pay for a wedding, but I have a good feeling.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »
Holy crapola everyone...I only have $763.97 left on my student loan!!! A big payment cleared this morning and I am just sitting here smiling! I am under $1,000!!!

The end is near!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Are you going to keep the waitress job once you are done and ramp up your savings and investing?

TKE Super Dave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
This is my goal too. I have actually saved enough money to pay off my student loans but every year my family members help with my student loan as a Christmas present and if I can save a little money by letting the student loans stick around until after Christmas then I'm going to do so. Good luck to everyone else.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »
Are you going to keep the waitress job once you are done and ramp up your savings and investing?

My plan right now is to keep one shift a week if the restaurant lets me. During the winter I don't think that will be a problem, but they'll probably want me to pick up an extra shift during the busy spring/summer months if I want to keep working there. My thought right now is that I'll use the money I make waitressing for food for the month. If I do one shift a week that should cover it. I make, on average, $75 a shift. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I would increase my savings this way since I would no longer need my regular paycheck to pay for groceries. I also figure this is the best way to manage actual cash, rather than always going to the bank and depositing it. I'll just shop for groceries with the cash I get from waitressing.

Part of me really likes waitressing - the place is low-key and the people are fun. But part of me just wants one job, you know? So I think keeping one night a week for as long as I'm able is a good compromise.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »
Holy crapola everyone...I only have $763.97 left on my student loan!!! A big payment cleared this morning and I am just sitting here smiling! I am under $1,000!!!

Congratulations, Katie!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2013, 09:15:17 AM »
I DID IT!!!!

I am debt free!!

I just sent in my last payment. I'm so happy :)

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
Well done Katie.. Feels great indeed, doesn't it!

Grindin' Away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
Congrats!  I've been using this thread as motivation for wiping out my SO's SLs and our financial position in general.

You probably have a feeling of relief/joy now, but i'm sure this goal/thread has been on your mind every day for the past year.  Now What?

Start a Stash Journal?

I won't have to worry about that for a few years.

Enjoy this weight off your shoulders!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
Thanks all :)

Not having to think about this thread will be a little weird! I have a journal in the "Journals" section, so I'll probably continue my journey over there. But my guess is I'll go along with other savings goals that people create here in the Gauntlet!

My next goal is to up my e-fund to 6 months of savings. So fun to actually be SAVING money now instead of throwing everything at the loans!

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »
I DID IT!!!!

I am debt free!!

Congrats!!!!! Great job!

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and say Congratulations Katie! Starting off 2014 debt free is a great place to be :)

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
I missed the big announcement.  Congratulations!!!!  From now on, the money is all yours!!!!

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »
Congratulations on reaching your goal! You showed great dedication to the cause.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
Congrats! That is such a huge accomplishment! :)

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »
Thank you, everyone! I'm very happy :) A bit in shock, though. I've had this debt for over 10 years!

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
I DID IT!!!!

I am debt free!!

Awesome!! That must feel great!!

I'm completely jealous :) I wish my finances didn't get off the rails with the layoff. I'm hoping to post some great successes in next year's SL payoff thread :'(

(formerly known as "stan")

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
I paid off my student loan in December.  The check cleared my bank acct last week.  Don't have anything official yet, but at least I know it is gone.  My husband's loan is still around, but we are concentrating on something else in 2014 (Tax trouble)

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
I paid off my student loan in December.  The check cleared my bank acct last week.  Don't have anything official yet, but at least I know it is gone.  My husband's loan is still around, but we are concentrating on something else in 2014 (Tax trouble)

Congrats!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »

Great news! I'm sure you are very happy. Enjoy this time!