Author Topic: Alcohol-Free in May  (Read 9031 times)

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Alcohol-Free in May
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »
I routinely abstain from alcohol during the week, but thought this month is as good as any to include 4 weekends.  I could stand to drop 10 pounds too, so we'll see!

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Alcohol-Free in May
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:54:44 PM »
Excellent!  I drink more often than just the weekends but did the same this past January.

in 31 days of not drinking I lost 16 pounds!  Woke up every day much more fresh - slept longer than I ever thought possible and...saved A LOT of money!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
Excellent!  I drink more often than just the weekends but did the same this past January.

in 31 days of not drinking I lost 16 pounds!  Woke up every day much more fresh - slept longer than I ever thought possible and...saved A LOT of money!

Wow! Maybe a lot of drinking? Or a lot of drinking-induced overeating? That's a lot for a month.

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 05:04:48 PM »

Wow! Maybe a lot of drinking? Or a lot of drinking-induced overeating? That's a lot for a month.

A mix of both - paired up with actual running to my destinations rather than walking.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »
Too late.  Turns out it wasn't a dry first communion celebration.

Best of luck to you though, Thunderball!
-PoF

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
I think I might try this. Need to cut back anyway for some other reasons. Im onboard!

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »
I'm in!

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
Late start but, starting today I'm in.

I need to lose some weight plus, I've been drinking too much lately.  I've gotten into the bad habit of having a few glasses of wine after work each night.  Not good.

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 01:48:42 PM »
On the one hand, this sounds like a great idea.

On the other hand, the eggs I grabbed for breakfast on-the-go today were not in fact from the hardboiled egg carton. I've been anticipating a beer for quite a while today ... is it still virtuous if I make pound cake instead of drinking?

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 02:36:58 PM »

Well, week 1 wasn't so difficult.   In the evenings, I enjoyed decaf coffee or seltzer, and then on the weekends when I normally would have beer(s) or a cocktail, I opted for Clausthaler, a surprisingly decent German N/A beer. 

On the downside (but unrelated), I was not very motivated to exercise - which will change for week 2. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »
Posting in solidarity. I stopped drinking a year and a half ago. It's easier than you think!

Fred2004

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
Those Mint Juleps were so good yesterday!

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
I did this from New Year's Eve until the Super Bowl.  Glad I did it.  Lost some weight, saved some money.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
Posting in solidarity. I stopped drinking a year and a half ago. It's easier than you think!

You've never met my mother in law.

But I do agree with you. 5 years ago, when I turned 21, I'd say you were crazy. Now I basically only drink more than one when she's around. Otherwise it is 1-2 on a Friday or Saturday. And only if someone else is joining me. The weight has started to fall off.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »

You've never met my mother in law.

You've never met my family. ;)

21 year old MJ also would have said I was crazy. Then again,  21 year old MJ made some seriously bad choices.

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 10:24:58 PM »
I quit for Lent. 40 days, and there's been a radical, long-lasting change. I drank 1-2 drinks on weekends only before Lent; now I feel icky if I have more than 1/2 a glass of wine.

Lost 5 lbs, but I bet my liver is LOTS happier.

Selzer water is my friend.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 10:28:22 AM »
I'm interested this. I realized the other day that apart from a few glasses of wine at my house with friends a few weeks ago, I hadn't drank in two months.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 10:35:24 AM »
pshhht -
I gave up booze for 3 months last year, but the price of sobriety was too high! hahaha! I was never relaxed! For me the main effect is relaxation, turning off the eternal internal get'r done nag.

It was good training though. I have a little booze, and it's enough.

Actually took up fine Scotch. It's a cheap habit when you imbibe teeny amounts! :)

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
I'm jumping on this train late - so I'm going 30 days.

I've done 30 day stints in the past as part of a couple whole 30s, and then I did 90 days in early 2015. After that 90 days was over I felt like a different person (both physically and emotionally much healthier), and was very moderate in my drinking after that, until slowly but surely it started becoming part of my daily routine. A dear friend of mine decided she needed to try a break from booze, so I committed to doing 30 days alcohol free as a show of solidarity.

Without going into too much detail, moderation is not a strength of mine. It is becoming clear that is easier for me to abstain completely than it is to just "drink on weekends" or "just X number of drinks a week" or "only for special occasions." I'm going to use this next 30 days and especially the support of a close friend to think about how or if alcohol can fit in my life in a healthy way.

(all that being said, my god I love my red wine...you will be missed...)

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »
I'm jumping on this train late - so I'm going 30 days.

I've done 30 day stints in the past as part of a couple whole 30s, and then I did 90 days in early 2015. After that 90 days was over I felt like a different person (both physically and emotionally much healthier), and was very moderate in my drinking after that, until slowly but surely it started becoming part of my daily routine. A dear friend of mine decided she needed to try a break from booze, so I committed to doing 30 days alcohol free as a show of solidarity.

Without going into too much detail, moderation is not a strength of mine. It is becoming clear that is easier for me to abstain completely than it is to just "drink on weekends" or "just X number of drinks a week" or "only for special occasions." I'm going to use this next 30 days and especially the support of a close friend to think about how or if alcohol can fit in my life in a healthy way.

(all that being said, my god I love my red wine...you will be missed...)

I am in a similar boat.  It is easier for me to commit to not having any alcohol than it is to only have it on the weekends.

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 04:13:51 PM »
Now 2 weeks in.  Enjoying a cold Clausthaler N/A as I type!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!