Author Topic: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018  (Read 71593 times)

Just_Looking_Here

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Absolutely zero clothes shopping in 2018
« Reply #350 on: July 27, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
Having fun wearing things in new combinations so no need to buy anything as yet. I may get a few pairs of trousers altered as they are too large on the waist and a slimmer leg will look more current than the wide legs that were 'in' 10 years ago!

I've also found that my husband has quite a stockpile of chino's that now fit me too... I may have to downgrade my old baggy / saggy chino's for gardening / smallholding and appropriate one of his spare pairs?

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
I was really tempted this past week. I went into a Ski n Sun shop in NH and was looking at the clearance skis they had and managed to drift into the clothing section and saw they had Patagonia shorts on sale! My dream is to retire and live in Patagonia clothes. They are soooo comfortable. Anyway, I resisted as I don't NEED any more shorts but as soon as I do you know I'm going to be checking the clearance section for Patagonia anything. :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
Today is Day 215. I find that it's getting easier and easier to say "no."

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #353 on: August 15, 2018, 02:03:21 AM »
I'm out! I ordered a jumper in two sizes online because I have basically have one jumper and the neck is too wide to wear with everything. One size arrived today and I'm not entirely sure I'll be keeping either one as the shape is odd but still, the shopping has happened and I must banish myself! From here I could probably make it a good few more months but I really really need a decent bra so I may just say stuff it.

Good luck to all still standing!

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #354 on: August 16, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »
Sorry to see you go Fresh Bread.

I just found out I am pregnant. 5 weeks along, so very early on (it always amazing me how easily I tell internet strangers these types of things). I am sure I can make it through the summer on the clothes I have now but I will most likely have to move on to the only necessary clothes shopping sometime in the fall.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #355 on: August 16, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
Sorry to see you go Fresh Bread.

I just found out I am pregnant. 5 weeks along, so very early on (it always amazing me how easily I tell internet strangers these types of things). I am sure I can make it through the summer on the clothes I have now but I will most likely have to move on to the only necessary clothes shopping sometime in the fall.

Congrats!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #356 on: August 18, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »
Congrats Haypug!  All the best.

Hanging tough in the challenge here -- nothing bought this year.

I wanted to share one funny story.  So my company is currently being bought by MegaCorp, and "integration" discussions are underway.  We found out recently that MegaCorp has a dress code that is way stricter than what we have.  For men, suits and ties every day.  For women, no bare shoulders, closed-toed shoes, and pantyhose with skirts.  Whaaaat???  I don't own any pantyhose, and there is no f*ing way I am buying any five months out from FIRE, and in the midst of the Absolutely Zero Clothes challenge.  If my new overlord boss says anything to me, I am just going to say "I'm sorry, Ma'am.  My priorities are clear.  Do what you must, but I refuse to fail the MMM clothing challenge." 

FU money use at its finest!  ;)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: August 18, 2018, 05:41:04 AM »

I wanted to share one funny story.  So my company is currently being bought by MegaCorp, and "integration" discussions are underway.  We found out recently that MegaCorp has a dress code that is way stricter than what we have.  For men, suits and ties every day.  For women, no bare shoulders, closed-toed shoes, and pantyhose with skirts.  Whaaaat???  I don't own any pantyhose, and there is no f*ing way I am buying any five months out from FIRE, and in the midst of the Absolutely Zero Clothes challenge.  If my new overlord boss says anything to me, I am just going to say "I'm sorry, Ma'am.  My priorities are clear.  Do what you must, but I refuse to fail the MMM clothing challenge." 

Tell them with a straight face that panty hose gives you Candida and walk away. Or tell them you're wearing them but they are just really really sheer and no you can't touch my legs to check. Or wear pants for five months!

OR! Another idea, wear full on fishnets. Please wear fishnets.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:42:50 AM by Fresh Bread »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2018, 06:21:25 AM »

Tell them with a straight face that panty hose gives you Candida and walk away. Or tell them you're wearing them but they are just really really sheer and no you can't touch my legs to check. Or wear pants for five months!

LOL!!!  Awesome ideas!  Love the Candida idea, laughing so hard right now.  Someone on my FIRE cohort thread also suggested I take an eyeliner pencil and draw a line up the back of my legs . . .

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #359 on: August 18, 2018, 06:23:56 AM »

LOL!!!  Awesome ideas!  Love the Candida idea, laughing so hard right now.  Someone on my FIRE cohort thread also suggested I take an eyeliner pencil and draw a line up the back of my legs . . .

I wore seamed stockings at one point but the seams kept going crooked! Eye liner is a much better idea.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: August 20, 2018, 08:37:50 AM »

I wore seamed stockings at one point but the seams kept going crooked! Eye liner is a much better idea.

Yup I'd feel the same, no way am I failing at a challenge with 5 months to go over pantyhose! All of Fresh Bread's suggestions are great. I especially like the Candida one.

Good luck, hopefully these rules don't go into affect until the cooler weather comes and you'll be wearing pants anyway.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: August 22, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
I'm still truckin' along. Having dated same person for a few months now I can feel wee little impulses to buy new things but I know that's a primping impulse and my own clothes are just fine for that ;)

...I have however gained a bit of weight so we'll have to convince the midsection to get back in line before cold weather!

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #362 on: August 24, 2018, 09:50:17 PM »
I only discovered MMM a few months ago, but had coincidently given myself the same challenge for 2018.  My only failure was a business trip with my boss.  We traveled on Sunday (which is very rare) and did so in casual clothing.  Monday morning I realized I didn't pack dress shoes because it's not part of my normal checklist because they're usually on my feet when I leave the house.  My plan was to go the three days in tennis shoes, but my boss called me out on it no more than 10 minutes into day one.  It's not like I would have been disciplined, but I figured if he noticed that I should probably take care of it.  I spend $7.49 at a thrift store over lunch and bought a pair of brown dress shoes, which were a little nicer and a lot more comfortable than the pair I left at home.

Other than that, I don't think I'll get through basketball season (as a referee) without a new pair of black athletic shoes.  I put a hole in a shoe in February, and instead of buying new ones I reverted to a pair I'd considered worn out but never tossed.  If I have any knee or back pain issues, I'll probably have to spend again. 

Other than these incidents, I think I'll make it through 2018 with no other expenditures.  I was given three shirts through the course of the year from vendors, but my goal was related to spending rather than consumption so I'm considering those legal.  I also can't imagine any reason why I'd have to spend in 2019 unless I lose another pair of brown socks beyond darnability. 

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #363 on: August 29, 2018, 01:31:35 AM »
Congrats on all the people still going strong!

It's actually easier than I thought to be honest. It really helps to have a good (capsule) wardrobe already. I'm so glad I already reduced my clothes to the stuff I actually wear all the time with some extra's. It's so easy to get dressed. I think I will do 'one in, one out' next year to keep the amount I have now and keep the same balance. And I will try to do mostly second hand.

No one notices btw. Not that I thought people would, but they actually don't.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
Made it through August. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant and haven't needed to buy any new clothes but I can tell I'm not going to make it too much further. Dresses are great but once the cooler weather is here and I need to wear pants I'm gonna be picking up some maternity clothes. At that point I'll move over to the other challenge for only necessary purchases. I'm hoping to make it through September but we'll see.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
Made it through August. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant and haven't needed to buy any new clothes but I can tell I'm not going to make it too much further. Dresses are great but once the cooler weather is here and I need to wear pants I'm gonna be picking up some maternity clothes. At that point I'll move over to the other challenge for only necessary purchases. I'm hoping to make it through September but we'll see.

Well, that's about as good a reason as someone could have for failing this challenge! Congratulations on your failure!  :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: September 06, 2018, 09:20:17 AM »

Well, that's about as good a reason as someone could have for failing this challenge! Congratulations on your failure!  :)

Haha, thank you :)

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
Well I am officially out of this challenge. I bought some Maternity pants and tops last Friday. Zero regrets I am sooooo much more comfortable now. 9 1/2 months of no clothes shopping is pretty good though.

Good luck to everyone still remaining.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #368 on: September 19, 2018, 04:23:42 AM »
Congrats Haypug!  Being comfortable is important. 

I'm still hanging tough, nothing bought this year.  I think I should make it through the year, barring something really unforeseen.  (Pregnancy will definitely not be happening.  :)).  My small wardrobe is definitely showing some wear, especially my running shoes, but I think they will make it to the end of the year.

Hope everyone else is doing well.   

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »
Still here and no anticipated issues. How many of us are left?!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2018, 07:07:02 PM »

Still here.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: September 22, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
Good job to those still in this challenge!

Looks like I am going to make it through the year with only one purchase (a locally made swimsuit after I lost mine earlier this spring). Some things are getting quite worn (I have a small wardrobe) and will need to buy some socks/undies in the new year but am amazed at how relatively easy it has been to wear the same things all year. ha.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2018, 03:39:19 AM »

Still here.

Also still here!

One of my favorite pants have a hole on the butt, however the weather doesn't allow me to wear that one anyway. Bummed that I have to buy a new one next year though. Will try to fix it but it's not on the seam and it's really light travel fabric. Maybe something to iron on it on the inside? And I have to fix my bikini before I go on holiday. Other than that.. going strong!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:10:40 AM by Sanne »

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #373 on: October 18, 2018, 01:33:04 AM »
That's it? Only 4 still going? ;) Good for us! =pat on the back=

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2018, 02:48:05 AM »
Yep -- still here.  I'm going to make it . . .Can't think of anything that could crop up that would require me to buy something.  And -- I'm going to make it to the end of my career, since I'll be FIREing in early 2019.  I will never have to buy fancy office work clothes again.  Man that feels goooood to type.  Woo hoo!   :)

On a sad note, my best pair of non-work shoes (11 year old brown leather sneakers) split at the toe.  I really love these shoes and I am going to try hard for some kind of repair.  But in a worst case scenario, I'll replace them next year.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: October 18, 2018, 03:05:15 AM »
Yep -- still here.  I'm going to make it . . .Can't think of anything that could crop up that would require me to buy something.  And -- I'm going to make it to the end of my career, since I'll be FIREing in early 2019.  I will never have to buy fancy office work clothes again.  Man that feels goooood to type.  Woo hoo!   :)

On a sad note, my best pair of non-work shoes (11 year old brown leather sneakers) split at the toe.  I really love these shoes and I am going to try hard for some kind of repair.  But in a worst case scenario, I'll replace them next year.

Yeah!!! That's great, good for you! Congrats!

I personally work in a very casual work environment, so no too fancy stuff for me, pfew! I can just buy things that are presentable that I can also wear outside of work. So happy about that. Throw in some fancier pairs of shoes that I've had for years and good to go.

That sucks on the shoes! I hate it when favorite shoes wear out. I always just want the same ones again.. ;)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2018, 07:08:51 AM »
I'm out :(

Almost made it!! But found an incredible deal on rain/snow pants that will work for biking. I've been using kids' $10 poofy snowpants that didn't fit well and was resigned to wearing them again this year, while saving up for sales next spring. The particular item I was saving up for showed up used on REI for a fraction of the price so I jumped on it.

I love love love that this challenge made me rethink "adornment" purchases. No accessories, no random buying of underwear that doesn't fit right anyway (my recent over 40yrs old curse), no new swimsuit top just because. Making myself not buy new underthings also helped reframe what I actually need. I'm most comfortable in a tank top and merino underwear, but previously only wore those camping because the fabric tends to be more spendy. I've whittled down my current clothing to the "uniforms" that I feel really great in, and can plan for replacement purchases as things wear out in five or so years, instead of having some nebulous budget idea of random clothing.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
That's awesome, Katscratch!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2018, 03:44:07 AM »
I agree Katscratch!  Great takeaways from a great challenge. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #379 on: December 31, 2018, 04:30:49 AM »
Posting a few hours early to say I MADE IT!  Absolutely no clothes or shoes bought this year.  Great challenge.  Although I'm naturally at the low end of the bell curve for clothing spending it made me stretch even further, to see what could be mended or made to last just a little longer.  I learned how damn little I really need. 

In 2019 I'm going to shrink my small wardrobe even further as I FIRE and give my work clothes to a local charity that stocks a free "interview closet" for people that need a suit or whatever. 

Anyone else still here?  Happy New Year everyone!   

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: December 31, 2018, 05:08:06 AM »
Posting a few hours early to say I MADE IT!  Absolutely no clothes or shoes bought this year.  Great challenge.  Although I'm naturally at the low end of the bell curve for clothing spending it made me stretch even further, to see what could be mended or made to last just a little longer.  I learned how damn little I really need. 

In 2019 I'm going to shrink my small wardrobe even further as I FIRE and give my work clothes to a local charity that stocks a free "interview closet" for people that need a suit or whatever. 

Anyone else still here?  Happy New Year everyone!

Congratulations!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: December 31, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »
Well, I was out in May when I bought some underwear for C-Section recovery, but I finished the year, and I haven't bought anything else. Giving myself a high-five.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #382 on: December 31, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »
High five @wordnerd!  Great job and hope all is well with your little one.  Happy New Year!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: December 31, 2018, 06:42:08 PM »
High five @wordnerd!  Great job and hope all is well with your little one.  Happy New Year!

Thank you! Little one is awesome. Happy New Year to you!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
Massive high fives to both of you!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
I also made it through the year without making a clothing purchase! I need new gym shoes now, but probably not much else for 2019.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #386 on: January 04, 2019, 03:18:34 AM »
I also made it through the year without making a clothing purchase! I need new gym shoes now, but probably not much else for 2019.

Yay @Step37!   Great job!!  Same boat here -- I need a pair of sneakers, but probably nothing else for this year.   

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #387 on: January 04, 2019, 03:43:09 AM »
Congrats on those who made it. So proud of you!!!

I didn't make it.. But I don't see it as a complete failure.

I bought a secondhand winter coat halfway December. I absolutely didn't need it but it was cheap, good quality and what I wanted. I was afraid that if I waited I had to pay more for a similar one. I already had a winter coat, so not a need, but that's a snowboard coat that's bulky. Really good for biking and extreme cold but not necessary for milder winter/not biking so I bought another.

But I didn't make it. That's kinda sad.

I bought some other stuff as well after that, all secondhand so that's good. I wanted some more color and some work blouses so I bought 2 cardigans and 4 blouses and 1 sweater. I'm really happy with them and they will get a lot of wear.

So I'm going to try to only buy 'necessary' items this year. I do think the way I approach clothes shopping is changed though and that was kinda my goal. I really know what I want/need and don't really like shopping for clothes anymore. The habit is gone for sure. I don't want extra items in my closet just in case or to have an extreme amount of options. I'm way more mindful about it.

And I started selling stuff I didn't wear (enough) to get some of the money back and to clear out my closet (again).

Long story. Ups and downs. I'm not completely sure how I feel about it yet. ;)

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #388 on: January 04, 2019, 05:16:39 AM »
I made it! $0 spent on clothing for 2018. 2019 won't be so kind. Definitely need some socks and new bike shorts.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #389 on: January 04, 2019, 06:40:20 AM »
I made it! $0 spent on clothing for 2018. 2019 won't be so kind. Definitely need some socks and new bike shorts.

Congrats!! Well done!!

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #390 on: January 04, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »

Congrats!! Well done!!

Thank you and happy new year!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: January 04, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »
I made it! I'm going to try for year 2 in 2019.

It's kinda sad that I have so many clothes that I have no problem thinking I can go two solid years without buying anything new.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #392 on: January 04, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »

Badass! Well done Miss Piggy!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: January 04, 2019, 10:16:14 AM »

It's kinda sad that I have so many clothes that I have no problem thinking I can go two solid years without buying anything new.

Good luck--that's amazing!
We did a no-shopping year and the one article of clothing I bought (out of necessity) was a swimsuit. But my collection of clothing is now so tiny and ragged that I am unable to do another year. Love that you are going for it @MissPiggy

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #394 on: January 04, 2019, 05:15:11 PM »

Not sad, more like awesomesauce!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #395 on: January 05, 2019, 03:52:29 AM »
We did a no-shopping year and the one article of clothing I bought (out of necessity) was a swimsuit. But my collection of clothing is now so tiny and ragged that I am unable to do another year. Love that you are going for it @MissPiggy

Great job @Serendip !  I don't think I can do a second year either.  But of course I'm in for the 'only necessary clothing' challenge.  :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:21:31 PM by Trifele »

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: January 11, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
I only discovered MMM a few months ago, but had coincidently given myself the same challenge for 2018.  My only failure was a business trip with my boss.  We traveled on Sunday (which is very rare) and did so in casual clothing.  Monday morning I realized I didn't pack dress shoes because it's not part of my normal checklist because they're usually on my feet when I leave the house.  My plan was to go the three days in tennis shoes, but my boss called me out on it no more than 10 minutes into day one.  It's not like I would have been disciplined, but I figured if he noticed that I should probably take care of it.  I spend $7.49 at a thrift store over lunch and bought a pair of brown dress shoes, which were a little nicer and a lot more comfortable than the pair I left at home.

Other than that, I don't think I'll get through basketball season (as a referee) without a new pair of black athletic shoes.  I put a hole in a shoe in February, and instead of buying new ones I reverted to a pair I'd considered worn out but never tossed.  If I have any knee or back pain issues, I'll probably have to spend again. 

Other than these incidents, I think I'll make it through 2018 with no other expenditures.  I was given three shirts through the course of the year from vendors, but my goal was related to spending rather than consumption so I'm considering those legal.  I also can't imagine any reason why I'd have to spend in 2019 unless I lose another pair of brown socks beyond darnability.

Made it through 2018 with only the aforementioned thrift store shoe purchase due to a packing failure.  As I received two pairs of brown socks for Christmas, I don't plan on spending in 2019 either. 

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #397 on: January 11, 2019, 01:44:29 PM »
I didn't make it, and a few of my purchases weren't even strictly "necessary", just mementos from the town I moved from made by local designers that I wanted to take with me. And a new cycling jacket that ticked all the boxes and was on sale.

I start a new job soon and so this week I started hitting up thrift stores to stock up on my professional work clothes. What's funny is that it actually took me a while to get back into the buying mindset. The first few places I looked at I felt so disinterested about the clothes and trying things on and whether they were worth buying. I definitely think doing "mostly a year with no clothes shopping" has been a great hard reset on my idea of clothes I *need*. Hopefully this lasts!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #398 on: January 14, 2019, 02:03:42 AM »
I didn't make it, and a few of my purchases weren't even strictly "necessary", just mementos from the town I moved from made by local designers that I wanted to take with me. And a new cycling jacket that ticked all the boxes and was on sale.

I start a new job soon and so this week I started hitting up thrift stores to stock up on my professional work clothes. What's funny is that it actually took me a while to get back into the buying mindset. The first few places I looked at I felt so disinterested about the clothes and trying things on and whether they were worth buying. I definitely think doing "mostly a year with no clothes shopping" has been a great hard reset on my idea of clothes I *need*. Hopefully this lasts!

It's good to read that someone else had the same experience. I made it for 11 months but my mindset is also different from what it was before and I thought I was already more mindful than before that. I don't like shopping as a way to pass the time anymore.

I feel that I am buying stuff now to get me through the year without having to look/buy for stuff during the year, just to get it over with or something. It's winter but I already bought a pair of shorts since I only had my yoga shorts that are way too short to wear for other occasions so I was missing that this year. On holiday I wore my 3/4 pants that were way to hot for some days and for hiking a skirt is not so great. ;)

I hope this mindset will stay with me! See how it goes!

And congrats for anyone who made it!!!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #399 on: January 18, 2019, 04:48:27 AM »
I wasn't part of the Challenge but am pretty frugal about buying clothes and know over the course of the year I just bought one new pack of socks , 1 pair of jeans as the thrift store price vs what I could get a new pair for made it worth it and I needed a new pair of shoes. I was walking most days 10 miles at least on average so I got a pair for indoor when I go to the YMCA over the winter which I have been doing more of. But that was it for me. This year I did buy a pair of black Jeans so far for under 20$ so I have something If I do go out they can pass for a little more dressing than me just always being the flannel and jeans guy. But I dont see needing anything else other than later in year another pair of shoes.